What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
God I’m bored with Cage. Players in Demi god or higher seem to tech every throw, and now it seems like they’re incredibly patient and never get hit after plus frames or low pokes into nut punch. Finally open someone up and they air roll. Fuck I’m tired of it.

I mean, at least in show stopper you can do unbreakable combos, but still. Bored.

God I’m bored with Cage. Players in Demi god or higher seem to tech every throw, and now it seems like they’re incredibly patient and never get hit after plus frames or low pokes into nut punch. Finally open someone up and they air roll. Fuck I’m tired of it.

I mean, at least in show stopper you can do unbreakable combos, but still. Bored.
That’s because there’s a stupid throw OS where you can slide your fingers across both buttons and if you get it down you will tech at a considerably higher rate.

I honestly think the talk of showstopper being best is a bill if anything it’s on a similar level as jock.

You have to be in 35% health range To be scary while Baraka just laughs.

heildan

NANI?!
I like the way how people are talking about him doing unbreakable high damage now. It's nothing to be taken lightly, for real, yet its very worth noting that you can take the same amount of unbreakable damage from 2 easy different practical KBs from the marjority of the cast (most combos posted here requires camera and glasses KB), only without some nasty requirement or being below 30% health and using even less inputs.

D'vorah for eg. can do about 40% from a grab KB after spending a single bar after the patch.

We still gotta see Showstopper in action in a tournament, so chill.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I like the way how people are talking about him doing unbreakable high damage now. It's nothing to be taken lightly, for real, yet its very worth noting that you can take the same amount of unbreakable damage from 2 easy different practical KBs from the marjority of the cast (most combos posted here requires camera and glasses KB), only without some nasty requirement or being below 30% health and using even less inputs.

D'vorah for eg. can do about 40% from a grab KB after spending a single bar after the patch.

We still gotta see Showstopper in action in a tournament, so chill.
He doesn't need KB's to get much higher unbreakable damage than the other variation. He's always had it and it's always been a perk of the camera.

mrapchem

Noob
I don't know if this was always the case or if everyone already was aware of this, but Showstopper Johnny can apparently whiff the regular camera 3 times in a row and then spend the meter on EX-Camera for the KB. In the practice menu, it has the KB listed by the amplified version of the move, thereby implying that he had to spend meter on a whiffed move. I never knew this until just a few moments ago - forgive me if I'm late to the party!

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Than his other variation, yeah. But I was talking about damage across the board in general.
I got that but I guess my point was that ShowStopper consistently gets good unbreakable damage that can also go into more varied resets then what most of the cast can do. It's like the best thing about him. You know sure, D'vorah has a throw KB, but she doesn't have anything like his combo paths

heildan

NANI?!
Everytime I take a peek I see those kind of posts.

The char is a super honest footsie char. Good buttons, anti airs, D1/D4, projectile etc.
He's so honest, but so honest, that he fights clean. Fights fair. He fight by the rules. He even stays away from people, missing their hitboxes and whiffing his normals so he don't land a hit unfairly against 'em. Hahaha.

Kidding, I think he could be a lil' bit faster but I agree.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Everytime I take a peek I see those kind of posts.

The char is a super honest footsie char. Good buttons, anti airs, D1/D4, projectile etc.
And that's something that annoys me. Cage on paper is really good. I get that he's still got issues, he's not a character that you can just pick up and expect to be carried to wins, but the potential is there.

His issues against females is a problem, no question, its why I'll usually switch to Cassie in those situations.

@BoujieLuigi made a great thread about it.

https://testyourmight.com/threads/all-characters-who-johnny-cant-jail-post-update.71437/

Thus far, there's 12 match-ups where he can't really rely on his AMP Forceball pressure, which unfortunately should have been fixed (maybe lowering the hitbox enough to where its still a high, but will actually connect on crouch block would do it, a hotfix should be able to do that). He's still got more than that to rely on, but this is where he has to rely more on spacing and whiff punishing, which thankfully he's well-equipped in that regard due to his fast walk speed and advancing normals.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
Yeah, I'm at a loss now. Showstopper's nice, but trying to load that Camera KB is suicide against higher level players. You're already basically guaranteed to get hit by a projectile/fast-advancing move on reaction, but some characters like Cetrion and Shao Kahn can full combo punish you for it, even after ending your grounded combo in S4xxCamera because it takes so long to put the damn thing away. Is there any other character with a KB requirement so actively hostile towards the player?