What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

I think we should be jailing using d1 instead of d4 against characters where force balls whiff. Having that space from 1,2,4 is nice and allows for options instead of just blocking off of f3,4,4. Also, I don’t think d1 into nut punch is something we should use anymore. Always d1 into 1,2 nut punch or 2,4,4 nut punch. This makes showstopper more viable too, although I don’t like losing caged rage, brass knucks or mime time.

Yeah see that’s what I was saying earlier, his jails got a teeny bit better ( or more like they actually work on female characters). But as nice as that is it doesn’t change the fact that executing them is hard as fuck. Watch kompetitor play and he rarely if ever gets them off

heildan

NANI?!
Jailing d1 into 244 forceballs ex on block goes well with brass knuckles, probably will be my way to do some damage, bait and get the game going against some of his MUs. Sadly, some characters low crouch blocking can still negate half of his game in that same MUs.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 35141

Can anyone consistently get d1 it s2 having a hell of a time maybe 2 out of 10

D

Deleted member 35141

These unintentional buffs are great but still doesnt change how much work it still is to get damage.
The KB nothings that happened really hurt still trying to figure out why NRS feels this character doesn't get to play that part of the game
But nonetheless here I am still labbing this character lol

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
he can jail into 244 AMP Forceball from D1 against everyone, which when stand blocking whiffs against nobody and we get our pressure there, and if the opponent gets conditioned to that and tries to crouch block, you have the ability to stop at the 244 and throw instead.
Are you trying to give me an ulcer on purpose?

244 into amp fb or throw? When did that ever work since day 1? nothing in this patch changed how this works.

NOBODY WILL STAND BLOCK to get hit by amp fb since it whiffs on small hitboxes as it is BUGGED.

Throw after 244 on block? everyone still spams pokes as they always did, you will not get a throw ever and you have no mid to stop the poke.
FORCEBALLS DO NOT WORK

I can't believe they nerfed geras's KB to whiff 2 times but Johnny has to whiff 3 times. Not to mention Geras has a 17f startup and he can actually do 14% and get right in your face if you're not blocking LOW, whereas Johnny has a 30f startup and can't do shit from fullscreen.

I'm pretty sure now someone at NRS hates Johnny.

So I came across this on reddit. It bugged out at the end, but how the fuck do we get it?!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MortalKombat/comments/cnt2vh
That really is a stupid pose. Better than that long ass toy one though.
Wow, great video. What's the point of d3 now? D1, 244 in the corner seems like the go to.
It is, but Johnny still has the problem of not really being able to take advantage of +6 because of the push back of 124 and forceballs, all you have really got is f4.

I can’t remember a game where being +6 simply reset the neutral.

Also claiming everyone in here is downplaying is how we got here in the first place with little to no changes.

Now I’m not saying we should be as dramatic as some of the posters in here but it’s like blak fellow said, dude got shafted and this “we are happy with what we got” attitude is going to be the reason he will be the exact same at the end of the games life.

But if you guys want to let a bunch of top tier using trolls,brain dead shills, and
NRS baby mommas sway your opinion by calling you all crybabies and downplayers then so be it lol.
I just don't like how Jacqui can cancel normals and have that stupid plus overhead, but god forbid we ask for crushing blows or you hear the same old "muh top tier" response. Cetrion gets a new one so what's the deal? It's like a community wide vendetta against Cage or something.
I'll always use him no matter what. We can't win em all when the patches roll in. But damn, another few months we have to wait for changes probably. You just have to study the videos posted here and take every tip you can. It made me a better player coming here.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
That really is a stupid pose. Better than that long ass toy one though.
At least you could flip em off with it though. Then again maybe there are options for this one we don't know about yet.

So I guess we're left to assume the nutpunch brute isn't available yet, and that it will appear in some randomass timed tower at some point?

Keeping in mind AI can do brutes before you have them unlocked, I think that was an AI match.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
The possibility of jailing is neat. This helps just a little against Jacqui. It was absolutely cancer the way her hurtbox alters when doing f3 making her low crush d4, and d1 wouldnt net us anything in most cases.

Meanwhile Cetrion buffs lul

You're welcome Johnny Cage players!

Have fun frame trapping people all day lol... seriously.
None of this frame data isn't final, but I'm assuming a good majority of it will stay at this point.

(in case you were wondering, the multi-kick Dizzy used to hit-confirm in the Kombat Kast is the 244 AND the F344 string. Both lead into the same multi-kicks.)

Yo!

I mapped out all frame data for every character into two mobile apps, so folks don't have to do stuff like this anymore!

Link to download on iOS --> iOS
Link to download on Android --> Android

Let me know if you have any feedback or questions!

At least you could flip em off with it though. Then again maybe there are options for this one we don't know about yet.

So I guess we're left to assume the nutpunch brute isn't available yet, and that it will appear in some randomass timed tower at some point?

Keeping in mind AI can do brutes before you have them unlocked, I think that was an AI match.
You usually get brutalities from the green souls. At least from my experience that's the case, like 1/12 tries. The shrine is the best option though. Those stupid towers are awful. I just did the Kano one yesterday.
Cage's new nutpunch one looks great I'll admit, though there'll probably be some dumb requirements to pull it off. He has really weak finishers in this game in my opinion.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
You usually get brutalities from the green souls. At least from my experience that's the case, like 1/12 tries. The shrine is the best option though. Those stupid towers are awful. I just did the Kano one yesterday.
Cage's new nutpunch one looks great I'll admit, though there'll probably be some dumb requirements to pull it off. He has really weak finishers in this game in my opinion.
I'm a total noob when it comes to this offline stuff, so you may have to hold my hand here lol. Could you please elaborate on the green souls? Also, I thought you could only get gear/skins/augments from the shrine?

Sorry for being clueless.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Are you trying to give me an ulcer on purpose?

244 into amp fb or throw? When did that ever work since day 1? nothing in this patch changed how this works.

NOBODY WILL STAND BLOCK to get hit by amp fb since it whiffs on small hitboxes as it is BUGGED.

Throw after 244 on block? everyone still spams pokes as they always did, you will not get a throw ever and you have no mid to stop the poke.
FORCEBALLS DO NOT WORK
Holy shit, dude...I was just speculating. That's what we're supposed to do here, try to find ways to make our character work. Get the stick outta your ass, man.

You had a great discovery with the FBC, and then you had to go back to whining.

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
If you want plus frames, his S2 is +24. EDIT: It doesn't allow for a follow-up overhead, but it's still +24 to play with.
Actually, I'm glad you brought it up because I completely forgot about his standing jabs lol. S2 allows for some pretty cheeky mind games. Because it's so fucking plus on hit, you can follow up with a S2 after cutting a Camera BnB short with F3. Since you're still +17 after the F3, S2 is guaranteed to jail. I'm still working on my own reactions, but it feels like it's possible to react to them either blocking or getting hit. If they block, you're +3 and can go for a throw, but if they're hit, you're +24 and have plenty of time to follow up with F21, 124, or 244, and those'll all jail too.

Not too sure how this'll work out in high-level play, but it sounds like the sort of thing that can really punish mashers until they finally learn that the block button exists.

EDIT: Oh, we have side switch combos too. I don't know why it took me so long to figure that out. Small thing, but... it's nice.

Last edited:

Owerbart

I miss you
what baffles me the most is people thinking that meterburnt fb is even good or it can continue the pressure

pro tip: They worked in mk9 because you had very good MIDS, something that whoops! this kharacter does not have. They blocked your meterburnt fireballs? nice. you are in neutral. you don't jail into anything, your normals are atrocious and even if you go for your f4 you are still gonna get btfo, because they either jump and you are done, or just block and you are now on -5 with minimal chip damage done. Also they sued to be good because they didn't have the shitty pushback they have here. when they block your fireballs in this game you end up on almost a dash of distance which is too much. I heard 8read) 3 different people saying that cage has good buttons when that's exactly his problem: he probably has the worst normals in the whole game.

For showstopper users
if you don't have to risk it, you can do a simple kombo like:
12 EXcamera, and its possible to slide a cheeky FBcancel microdash into f33 shades and activate the krushing blow. I don't know if anyone can consistently land the FB cancels to glue to strings with consistency, i'm doing a video on the matter.

also, a question. After you use the krushing blow, shades become pretty much useless, right?

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
what baffles me the most is people thinking that meterburnt fb is even good or it can continue the pressure

pro tip: They worked in mk9 because you had very good MIDS, something that whoops! this kharacter does not have. They blocked your meterburnt fireballs? nice. you are in neutral. you don't jail into anything, your normals are atrocious and even if you go for your f4 you are still gonna get btfo, because they either jump and you are done, or just block and you are now on -5 with minimal chip damage done. Also they sued to be good because they didn't have the shitty pushback they have here. when they block your fireballs in this game you end up on almost a dash of distance which is too much. I heard 8read) 3 different people saying that cage has good buttons when that's exactly his problem: he probably has the worst normals in the whole game.

For showstopper users
12 EXcamera, and its possible to slide a cheeky FBcancel microdash into f33 shades and activate the krushing blow. I don't know if anyone can consistently land the FB cancels to glue to strings with consistency, i'm doing a video on the matter.

also, a question. After you use the krushing blow, shades become pretty much useless, right?
For the most part, yeah, Shades is pretty much useless afterward.

For showstopper users

Yeah being + on something and not having any guaranteed follow up is kinda bad.

I honestly think giving him little to no pushback on his +frames and fixing forceballs would pretty much fix him to be honest.

I would love a faster b3 but if we got those other changes I would be happy also.

If his +frames had no pushback the opponent would actually have to respect the follow up somewhat.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I honestly think giving him little to no pushback on his +frames and fixing forceballs would pretty much fix him to be honest.

I would love a faster b3 but if we got those other changes I would be happy also.

If his +frames had no pushback the opponent would actually have to respect the follow up somewhat.
That sounds reasonable.