What's new

MK11 Johnny Cage General Discussion

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
What do you guys think of show stopper besides the damage? Has anyone played ranked with it? I still don't like the camera restand that much as it lacks the linking possibilities that NP has, and he looks meh without FB cancel. Its almost like this variation is only viable at <40%, when the opp starts fearing about taking 40%+ dmg, but still, you're in your last breath anyways.
He does about 3% more damage per bnb in Show Stopper, and does massive damage with access to KBs that you simply didnt have with Shock Jock. Lets be honest here, the only reason we played Shock Jock was because it actually worked. Show Stopper had serious problems linking Camera from his strings...and now it doesn't. Why use Shock Jock at all now? Caged Rage still isnt all that good, and no one uses Brass Knuckles, and his only useable KB does a maximum of 35%. You're basically playing the exact same Cage as you were before, except now you do more damage. So unless someone stumbles onto something amazing with Shock Jock, there's no real reason to play it. Nut Punch restands at the end of combos was next to worthless anyway, especially considering a well timed breakaway meant you were going to eat a combo.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Now that camera links, it's more viable than nutpunch as you get more damage and better setups even without kbs.

Still can't outzone small hitboxes because there's no fear of chip or getting clipped by b3 while low profiling projectiles, and they will just block coming in as always.

Clearly not top tier because of this as your block pressure suffers tremendously. Having more damage is ok but you still can't open them up without forceballs just the same as prepatch.

heildan

NANI?!
Its not like Show Stopper can open a good opponent easily, its still Johnnys moveset. Talking about damage, you can do next to 42% one bar in the corner with NP, and look, you don't have to be dying at all.
Mimetime may be slow but its effective when used properly, same as fistcuffs.
Damage isn't everything in this game, Shao Kahn could do 50% damage using some KBs, but he was still low tier. I know its unbreakable damage and all, but still, what does he got when you already have spent all the KBs and FBs?
Maybe for some matchups Show Stopper will be better, Idk.

Last edited:

Wigy

There it is...
I mean I can get where they're going with the KB changes and it now linking from b34.

Unbreakable damage variation

But that camera whiff kb will legit never happen ever.

Are the shades there exclusively for the KB?

Idk the patch follows no logic

heildan

NANI?!
Now that camera links, it's more viable than nutpunch as you get more damage and better setups even without kbs.

Still can't outzone small hitboxes because there's no fear of chip or getting clipped by b3 while low profiling projectiles, and they will just block coming in as always.

Clearly not top tier because of this as your block pressure suffers tremendously. Having more damage is ok but you still can't open them up without forceballs just the same as prepatch.
It links from some new moves, linking from b34 is great, however he loses the ability to link properly from max range using the only mid he has, f4 (which is 14f, lol) and also from the air ones.

I have in mind that as it progresses we will eventually have better gameplans for him. Nobody ever played this variation til now, heh.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I mean I can get where they're going with the KB changes and it now linking from b34.

Unbreakable damage variation

But that camera whiff kb will legit never happen ever.

Are the shades there exclusively for the KB?

Idk the patch follows no logic

I legit used the camera whiff KB like 7 times in Kombat League last night. Why are people saying they cant get this?

Wigy

There it is...
I legit used the camera whiff KB like 7 times in Kombat League last night. Why are people saying they cant get this?
Are you in some secret rank lower than apprentice.

How are you whiffing 3 in a row.

Even if u manage. You cannot use the camera in between reps of missing, you will likely eat at least a combo or a few projectile doing it so the trade off is barely worth the KB.

heildan

NANI?!

Even if u manage. You cannot use the camera in between reps of missing, you will likely eat at least a combo or a few projectile doing it so the trade off is barely worth the KB.
It can be done in the beginning of the match jus like mimetime, maybe thats it.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.

Opener~Camera(A), Ji2, B2, S1, S4~camera

S4 is +36 on hit, and sends the opponent away from you. Say Cheese is a 27 frame move. I havent tested it very much because I wanted to get into KL and try out Showstopper. No one punished it. That's not to say they won't. It's just that no one is used to it yet. I'll be doing more testing on it later. You lose about 4-5% damage on your BNB. It's also not very hard when you're full screen spamming forceballs to do a quick whiff, especially if your opponent is trying to trade with you.

Also, I'm currently a Demi God.

Error404

Noob
Im certain that you can do into shadow kick and get it , but at this point , you have lost so much damage . I'm not sure it's worth the effort

Owerbart

I miss you
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I'm not knocking anyone in this thread. It's just that here we are, trying to find proper tech to intentionally whiff moves multiple times over. This was supposed to be a competitive fighting game.

Is this what it's come to? Seriously?
i'm still hoping that whoever was in charge of designing johnny just was sick yesterday and is going to be making the proper patching today

FoughtDragon01

Ask me about my Mileena agenda.
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. I'm not knocking anyone in this thread. It's just that here we are, trying to find proper tech to intentionally whiff moves multiple times over. This was supposed to be a competitive fighting game.

Is this what it's come to? Seriously?
Only because NRS is forcing us to do that if we want access to respectable damage. It's not ideal, but how else do we get the KB? I still think the requirements need to change to landing three amped Cameras, but until then, this is the best we've got. It's even sadder that even with the current absurd requirements, it's still one of the more viable KBs we have. It's like our damage is being held hostage until we jump through hoops first.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
Only because NRS is forcing us to do that if we want access to respectable damage. It's not ideal, but how else do we get the KB? I still think the requirements need to change to landing three amped Cameras, but until then, this is the best we've got. It's even sadder that even with the current absurd requirements, it's still one of the more viable KBs we have. It's like our damage is being held hostage until we jump through hoops first.
I'm with you, but it's just nonsense. Even more of a slap in the face after they neglected to fix his whiffing issues.

Dean

On The Grind
How? Is NRS this dumb?

I feel like going on a rant but I'll refrain.

What a mind fuck though...

All this time since the games launch to assess and refine these characters. This is what we get?

How is this acceptable?

Fuck this game. Deuces.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I'm still gonna be using Shock Jock I guess.. I'm too comfortable with Johnny and I feel as the game progresses Jax is kinda meh, super overrated character. That 120 damage everytime you open people up or spending two bars to barely get 300 - yeeeeeeeeah noty.

I still feel there's a strong use for Shock Jock for me anyway. I do like my restands, because you dont always get your openings on grounded opponents, so being able to end in plus 4 midscreen if people get super jumping beany is still nice. Also, you cant really punish disrespecting opponents in Show Stopper due to camera being a high - I think there's gonna be a big incentive to still abuse how effective poking is against Johnny upclose whereas you can make them second guess with a NutPunch off d1/d4 cancel into a full combo if they mash.

I cant believe f43 got to stay fucking worthless though. Literally people rage quit when they get hit by the KB cause it's just a testament to how bad you are LUL

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
F4 into regular camera does

Same thing if b3(4) hits... at max range you have to use regular Camera. It has a better range than ex Camera
So you kinda still cannot combo from b34 midscreen? Sorry for all the questions I would lab myself but PC Master Race lul