What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

I'm going to just ignore all that and point out that after seeing the PNDK&M video on Mei/Frost, I'm just constantly amazed with how great this game is.

Mei's lanterns are a fucking awesome mechanic, and frosts orb is also 100% my kind of degenerate nonsense. I love weird setup moves and i'm constantly impressed how creative and fun the cast looks.

I'm hoping to god they just do some frequent minor buffing for the lower tiers to keep most characters viable (or just not miserable). They may not have made another Ares/Lex lately but too often there's just obvious issues with moves or kits that make you wonder "why did they even spend time on this". With variations/custom movelists gone it should be easier to test what they need to test. So long as whatever weird hold up they have with buffing lower tiers lightly goes away.

edit-

Thinking about the nonsense going on made me realize Dr Manhattan could be a fitting addition for future guest characters (who's steve jobs). Probably too powerful but since "superman who murders the shit out of you" is in vogue, why the hell not.

So after playing the beta, how are we feeling about breakers?

Personally I am starting to wonder if breakers should also cost your 2 kameo meters.

I found that many people were saving their EX meter for breakers or the occasional armored special. This is nothing new of course, in MK9/MKX you probably did the same thing unless you played a meter dependant character. However, kameos have made characters even less meter dependant than ever before. A character like Li Mei for example, can overcome her combo meter dependency with all 4 beta kameos.

After using a breaker, if I still have my kameo I don't exactly feel resource depleted. At worst I don't have an armored special. I'm just not a fan that, despite spending 3 whole meters to break out of a combo, I can still drop 40% combos on you with my kameo. In fact if you break when the opponent's kameo is out their kameo gets disabled, so you gain an advantage for breaking which shouldn't be a thing.

They made breakers cost all 3 meters so in theory breakers should be less common, and sitting on your EX meter for breaker means missing out on 3 EX specials. But the reality is with the fast meter gain and kameos for offense, breakers are still way too common imo. So the reason I think breakers should also cost your 2 kameo meters is both to make hem less common and so you feel more resource depleted after breaking.

so whats the deal with up block? its sound effect is like a flawless block, but i cant seem to get a punish on a jump kick which is supposed to be -24? or am i just messing my timing up? cant tell without practice mode.

Last edited:

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.

Personally I am starting to wonder if breakers should also cost your 2 kameo meters.

I found that many people were saving their EX meter for breakers or the occasional armored special. This is nothing new of course, in MK9/MKX you probably did the same thing unless you played a meter dependant character. However, kameos have made characters even less meter dependant than ever before. A character like Li Mei for example, can overcome her combo meter dependency with all 4 beta kameos.

After using a breaker, if I still have my kameo I don't exactly feel resource depleted. At worst I don't have an armored special. I'm just not a fan that, despite spending 3 whole meters to break out of a combo, I can still drop 40% combos on you with my kameo. In fact if you break when the opponent's kameo is out their kameo gets disabled, so you gain an advantage for breaking which shouldn't be a thing.

They made breakers cost all 3 meters so in theory breakers should be less common, and sitting on your EX meter for breaker means missing out on 3 EX specials. But the reality is with the fast meter gain and kameos for offense, breakers are still way too common imo. So the reason I think breakers should also cost your 2 kameo meters is both to make hem less common and so you feel more resource depleted after breaking.
good point

anyway, some fans were defending that the game even should not have a breaker mechanic, as pointed out here in TYM some time ago about defensive mechanics options , so ..... is a discussion point kinda polemic for some people

this beta show that , due some changes they did, the game turned much more faster, and the corner pressure and combos variety will be insane , and 40%-50% combos with all characters is a reality that will happen often, and the bar meter indeed fills quick enough , so, maybe the 2 bar cost for breakes could be in fact, indeed , a real necessity that maybe they could or not change and bring in future patches

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder

While not directly related to the comment, I highly suspect they don't want people to ever really feel "resource depleted" for the simple reason that not being able to do what you want feels bad or not fun.

People seemed to blame regenerating meter for handing bar out like candy, but the recovery rate isn't dependent on the strategy. Regen could have been super slow and "earned" meter gains can earn so fast everyone typically has tons of meter. Kameos keeping your options open so you can always do something feels empowering and also feeds into the "lets just make it all wild/make everything broke dialog people keep saying they want. People want to go crazy crazy? Breaker into still being able to do 40% sounds in line with that philosophy.

I think people have been getting up to 3 breakers (?), which does sound excessive. Everything you do getting broken all the time also feels bad, so IDK

theres no way breakers should cost less than three bars. the game can be pretty slow paced zoning battles at times so the first combo opening is likely to be broken. i dont need even more of that.

i am pretty sure that crossplay between console and PC exists this time. i friended someone i met on xbox console and saw he was playing on the Xbox App which is usually a PC thing.

Felipe_Gewehr

Twinktile
i am pretty sure that crossplay between console and PC exists this time. i friended someone i met on xbox console and saw he was playing on the Xbox App which is usually a PC thing.
I was under the impression xbox app was just a cloud gaming thing for xbox and had nothing to do with gaming on steam

it can't be, mk1 beta is not offered in the cloud service and i saw him playing mk 11 afterwards and that isn't either.
Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate is available via the Microsoft Store on PC. He can play that version there. The Microsoft Store version and Xbox versions of Mortal Kombat 11 feature krossplay, but not with the Steam versions.

Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate is available via the Microsoft Store on PC. He can play that version there. The Microsoft Store version and Xbox versions of Mortal Kombat 11 feature krossplay, but not with the Steam versions.
ah thats how it is. i thought there was only crossplay between consoles.

ah thats how it is. i thought there was only crossplay between consoles.
No. For Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate, krossplay is between the PlayStation and Xbox versions, and via PC- Microsoft Store and Xbox.

If they follow the same formula for Mortal Kombat 1, it'll be PlayStation and Xbox only as there is no PC - Microsoft Store version announced yet. Only PC - Steam and PC - Epic Games Store.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Thats a nothing answer considering they're photorealistic characters doing attacks that no person would realistically do.
Case in point that Kitana animation above. Put that kick on any exaggerated anime/stylized character and it still looks stupid as fuck

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
If you're still unsure about NRS animation choices, Ed has an answer for you.

Likely something to that. I like to mess around a lot with game photo modes. One thing that comes up a lot is some things that look really good animated are actually wild in still frame. Tekken and SC6 animations constantly contort the characters into impossible positions. In motion it all looks pretty good, but hips turned more than 100 degrees is kind of crazy when you stop and look at it.