What's new

MK1 (2023) Gameplay Mechanics Discussion

StormGoddess

Your mind tricks won't harm me!!!
Can I have a link to this interview please? It’s quite ballsy for someone to criticize the game right in front of Ed…lol.

And then final question: Animations are something that people talk a lot about when it comes to Mortal Kombat – A lot of criticisms about certain attack animations. Do you have any comments with regards to some of those criticisms and why they are prevalent on Twitter?

EB:
I don't know. Certainly there's different animation styles that different games have. I think one of the things is our characters, I believe are the most photorealistic. And Street Fighter has beautiful characters, but they're probably dialed a little bit more towards kind of the anime a little bit type of exaggeration and stuff like that. We're always going for exact anatomically correct characters. And sometimes just seeing our characters doing these kind of five frame attacks and crazy things like that, there's a bit of a disconnect that we can't quite get away with it as well as a game that has more anime characters. I think that's a factor to it.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
When you say "unsafe", does it mean a mid attack will connect on a person doing the upblock? Technically they are still blocking...
probably , the mid will negate the benefit of the upblock, otherwise, if this mechanic would block up and mid, woudl be OP

so, for mid, the upblock will works as normal block only

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Upblocking can be used against any attack that is "aerial". Projectiles, strings with "jump attacks", etc are all vulnerable. Remember upblocking is unsafe if mis-read.

this shit is cool
Yes I just saw this a second ago and posted it in the Sub thread! This is sick as hell.

Is Kenshi’s overhead slash unique from other projectiles to be considered aerial?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
When you say "unsafe", does it mean a mid attack will connect on a person doing the upblock? Technically they are still blocking...
If you do not block something with your upblock, you will get opened up, there is 20 frames of recovery.

So lets take Johnny's F3,4 and then f3,2.

You could upblock the 4 in f3 4, but if I read that you're gonna upblock, I could do f32 and the 2 will hit you.

I can’t believe how nobody is calling out how bad the background music is in MK1. From what I have heard, it’s Spiderman/ batman background music all over again. It’s not only NOT fitting, it’s not hyping the battles at all. How..

I can’t believe how nobody is calling out how bad the background music is in MK1. From what I have heard, it’s Spiderman/ batman background music all over again. It’s not only NOT fitting, it’s not hyping the battles at all. How..
its mixed. some stuff like hourglass makes me just scratch my head, its like the most modern devolution of trap/808 beats.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
sorry, im dumb. i set the dummy to duck and block all, but forgot that he will only activate block if attacked. so no, throw does NOT whiff on low block, its as always.
Lol I was JUST about to reply to this saying I just tested it and wasn’t able to crouch block any throws I attempted. Anyway, it’s all good, mistakes are gonna happen especially for the next few months since there’s SO much to learn in this game. Like I was shocked when I found out that with Cyrax, if you do a forward throw, you can press block during it and Cyrax will do his bomb explosion which creates a popup that you can combo off of. It costs 2 bars but still, being able to get 25%+ off of a throw is wild. And I’m sure once more people find this out, you may see some crazy combos come out of it. I didn’t test it too much because I don’t think Cyrax works too too well with my main (Smoke), but I’m sure there’s a lot of little stuff like this that people will be discovering in the coming weeks.

Lol I was JUST about to reply to this saying I just tested it and wasn’t able to crouch block any throws I attempted. Anyway, it’s all good, mistakes are gonna happen especially for the next few months since there’s SO much to learn in this game. Like I was shocked when I found out that with Cyrax, if you do a forward throw, you can press block during it and Cyrax will do his bomb explosion which creates a popup that you can combo off of. It costs 2 bars but still, being able to get 25%+ off of a throw is wild. And I’m sure once more people find this out, you may see some crazy combos come out of it. I didn’t test it too much because I don’t think Cyrax works too too well with my main (Smoke), but I’m sure there’s a lot of little stuff like this that people will be discovering in the coming weeks.
Man, don't get me started. Just going through the character movelist almost gave me brain freeze at first glance. There were so many strings and options and since there is no tag move option at the moment (like WTF NRS, is it confirmed that they pushed the game out in a hurry?) I was so lost going in and out of the menu that it was mentally exhausting. I didn't even do anything else first night but tried to memorize and remember every move. Now it's on NRS' radar apparently and they promised they will look into it.

And a huge thanks goes to @Vslayer, I made so many imput errors that it put me off completely until last night something clicked and I started to hit moves more consistently. It was unconscious mostly but I started to look at my combos section by section and little did I know but I started to clean my inputs. And then I found her video Learning Combos Beginner Guide that goes through the same steps I was doing. It's so helpful that I'd recommend it to everyone who has issues with inputs. I would still make every special input for my character down, back because back, forward is the one that gave me headaches constantly, especially if I have to hit it after an advancing string but let's hope that slowly but surely I can improve and clean up my messy imputs. Slowing it down was the best advice I got from that video and yes, it works, you have the time to do it and it gives you the move.

I'm loving the game so far- my one critique at the moment:

Damage is a bit high across the board. It's not even that every character has access to 40% BnBs with kameos + a bar. It's more that every character can do 20% off a string into a special canceling for no bar and no kameo on top of that.

It feels rare to have a fight where me or my opponent has to touch each other more than 5 times to win.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I'm loving the game so far- my one critique at the moment:

Damage is a bit high across the board. It's not even that every character has access to 40% BnBs with kameos + a bar. It's more that every character can do 20% off a string into a special canceling for no bar and no kameo on top of that.

It feels rare to have a fight where me or my opponent has to touch each other more than 5 times to win.
Yeah dude any time Raiden with a Jax kameo touches me, I just start praying

i just found out that different kameos give different bonus values to your health. like with sareena you have more health than with cyrax.

edit:

darrius +50
sareena +50
cyrax 0
kano -50
sonya 0
sektor 0
frost 0
jax +100
stryker -50
scorpion 0
sub-zero +50
kung lao 0
shujinko 0
motaro -50
goro -50

Last edited:

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
yeah with BF just get used to feeling your thumbs hit both arrows and it'll eventually get easier, maybe XD

Wakeup cameos straight up don't work... they're just so slow to come out that they get two-hit by normal speed strings. The one I've been trying to use mostly is Jax's energy wave, which I'm pretty sure that's what its entire purpose is, since it isn't useful for anything else. Oh and Goro's punchwalk.

Some ways to fix this:
-Cameo wakeups get at least 2 hits of armour
-Player character stays on the ground while cameo does the move
-Player character can act if the wakeup move is done as a wakeup (can block or hit-confirm cameo)

Wakeup cameos straight up don't work... they're just so slow to come out that they get two-hit by normal speed strings. The one I've been trying to use mostly is Jax's energy wave, which I'm pretty sure that's what its entire purpose is, since it isn't useful for anything else. Oh and Goro's punchwalk.

Some ways to fix this:
-Player character stays on the ground while cameo does the move
thats exactly whats happening right now. well the character doesnt stay on ground physically but the knockdown invulnerability is lengthened, if just by 1-3 frames. so wakeup kameos in theory help vs perfect meatys but they still might be too slow, i couldnt make much use of them either.