What's new

Memorable but Terrible Tournament-Going Experiences

virtiqaL

Noob
Top of the Food Chain North 2015

It was my first event that I was actually traveling for. The trip was going to be a good 4+ hour trip to Northern Virginia at some college campus. It was Mr Aquaman, Yams, Virtiqal and myself in Yams car. This car was a two door model where you had to pull the front seat up to get in. So it was jammed with 4 people in it.
Good times... I felt like absolute shit that day. Hot weather on top of being prone to motion sickness and having my 6'3" ass stuffed in the backseat. I remember the traffic being pretty shitty on the way back, sucked that I had to work the next morning.

Was fun, though. Surprised to find out that was the first tourney you traveled for.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Good times... I felt like absolute shit that day. Hot weather on top of being prone to motion sickness and having my 6'3" ass stuffed in the backseat. I remember the traffic being pretty shitty on the way back, sucked that I had to work the next morning.

Was fun, though. Surprised to find out that was the first tourney you traveled for.
I joined the scene when Injustice was near the end of its life. 8 man weeklies and Top of the Food Chains. I wish I would've traveled/joined earlier but I didn't think I was good enough and was too nervous to go to offline stuff.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
Tried to get to Hypespotting for finals day back in April and ended up having a headache of a time trying to get there. Got on the bus to go to the train station and had some old guy with a terrible cold sit down next to me and cough and sneeze the whole way there, occasionally turning in my direction to try to talk to me...you know, to try his hardest to give it to me. Pretty sure he was half drunk as well from the night before so I could barely make out half of what he was trying to say to me. Most of that bus ride was awkwardly smiling and nodding in his direction to try and get him to not talk to me/pass on his illness.
Then I got to the train station to hopefully only spend £7 to get there and it turns out the trains were cancelled. So I go outside to the taxi rank to get a taxi and the driver is like 70 or something, tells me it'll be £45 and I need to pay it before we leave. For what should have been a 30/40 minute drive. He turns on the GPS and heads into Glasgow and it's only when we get into Glasgow that he decides to tell me he's never drove to this place before and asks a guy on the street for directions. He still has his GPS on right in front of him as well! So we're almost there and he starts driving along the road in the direction towards the venue's entrance for cars. Now the road split into two parts here, the left part took you onto the motorway and the right part took you down into the car park for the venue. He drives onto the leftmost part of the road and takes us onto the motorway, and then to the other side of Glasgow, and tries to maneuver through the streets on the other side of Glasgow to get back to where he was but can't figure it out and ends up basically going in circles for half an hour with me having to try and help him get back. Eventually he manages to get back into the right side of town and drives on the right side of the road this time, ended up dropping me off over an hour late.

Whitefox

Noob
NEC15 - Third tournament ever, had my first panic attack on the way down. Uncontrollable urge to just turn around. Thankfully better now. I heard mk9 is going to be at this years NEC, might check it out along with sfv.
NEC15 was the last time it was hosted in NJ.

Cossner

King of the Jobbers 2015
Administrator
NEC15 - Third tournament ever, had my first panic attack on the way down. Uncontrollable urge to just turn around. Thankfully better now. I heard mk9 is going to be at this years NEC, might check it out along with sfv.
NEC15 was the last time it was hosted in NJ.
Pretty sure NEC15 was at the Clarion.