What's new

Making PS3 pad tourney legal

MoFuzz

Noob
Yes, Ps3 wired controllers look just like a ps2 pad, except with no battery.
But most of them are cheap. If i were you, I'd purchase a long USB cable, take out the battery, and that should suffice.
I've yet to see a Sony branded wired PS3 controller. I don't think it exists, to be honest.

Can you please link what it is you are referring to?

GhosT

Noob
Mr. Mileena

So by taking the battery out, upon connecting to an alien console, the controller will just blink to player 1 or two without needing to sync it at all?

Play with your ps3 controller hooked up, it's no different.

The battery basically just allows the wireless feature to work.

Ps2 pads dont have batteries and that's why they are wired.

I would invest in a longer usb cable because the original ones they come with are way too short.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Damn. I really can't stand the Ps2 controller...something with the way the directional pad feels. Ugh...
Found the quote I was talking about, it's by MrWizard himself:

Specifically Banned Controllers

1) The Sixaxis and Dualshock 3 controllers designed for use on the Playstation 3 are specifically banned. These controllers have been the source of all of our problems in the past. We realize you can make these controllers "tournament friendly" by opening them and removing the batter, but we have no good way to enforce that rule at the scale EVO must operate on to finish on-time.
The remove battery idea was tried last year and still doesnt work. Since the DS pad is synced via bluetooth, the charge cable has no sync capabilities.

Since the controller has no battery, it has to get enough juice to run it, and before it syncs to the new console, it will remember the old one for around 2 seconds. This is enough to ruin a match in progress.
You can read about the topic here in the discussion it took place last year when the decision to ban PS3 wireless pads was made: http://www.shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/reminder-wireless-ps3-stock-and-wireless-joysticks-are-banned.133258/

In my opinion, you can try to get the modded PS3 pad but you run a high risk of the judges forbidding you from using it at all. I think you should give the PS2 pad a try, it is really not so different from the PS3 model. Though, maybe I'm biased because I've been playing on Playstation's pad since forever and got accustomed to all three iterations.

The decision is ultimately yours. But if in the end you decide to go with a PS2 via a converter, make sure it is lagless.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
Found the quote I was talking about, it's by MrWizard himself:

You can read about the topic here in the discussion it took place last year when the decision to ban PS3 wireless pads was made: http://www.shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/reminder-wireless-ps3-stock-and-wireless-joysticks-are-banned.133258/

In my opinion, you can try to get the modded PS3 pad but you run a high risk of the judges forbidding you from using it at all. I think you should give the PS2 pad a try, it is really not so different from the PS3 model. Though, maybe I'm biased because I've been playing on Playstation's pad since forever and got accustomed to all three iterations.

The decision is ultimately yours. But if in the end you decide to go with a PS2 via a converter, make sure it is lagless.
This is such bullshit.........how do you make it lagless