What's new

Making PS3 pad tourney legal

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I believe I heard Tom Brady on KTP mention that he got his ps3 controller tournament legal. How can this be done? I can't stand the ps2 controller and dreadful adapter. Anyone?

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
He may have been talking about the Power Up event, but I have not watched the KTP where he was interviewed. If I am mistaken, a member who has seen the broadcast is free to correct me.

If this is true, then it likely will not be happening again...the wireless pads were used during Power Up, but the finals kept getting interrupted by people hitting the PSN button on their active controllers. I then heard Tom say on the commentary that he will never again argue the rule that forbids wireless pads.

Sad, really. The community had a chance to prove that we could handle ourselves responsibly when it comes to not interrupting matches, now we may never get the chance to prove it again because some players obviously didn't care enough. :(

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
I remember reading they will forbid any PS3 pad, even if they come without the battery. Their argument was they can't be checking every single one of them. I don't have a link handy at the moment. But if I can find that quote I'll post it here.

RunwayMafia

I remember reading they will forbid any PS3 pad, even if they come without the battery. Their argument was they can't be checking every single one of them. I don't have a link handy at the moment. But if I can find that quote I'll post it here.
Damn. I really can't stand the Ps2 controller...something with the way the directional pad feels. Ugh...

Warplay

Noob
Damn. I really can't stand the Ps2 controller...something with the way the directional pad feels. Ugh...
Really? I've always loved the PS2 controller. I played the hell out of the 3D MK's on the PS2, and I've been using it with a converter. Still the perfect controller in my opinion. You sure your controller isn't defective? PS2 controllers can be a pain when the D-Pad malfunctions.

The PS3 RT button tends to pinch the HELL out of my middle finger in the heat of battle. I hate that so much. Does this happen to anyone else?

zaf

professor
If wireless ps3 pads are banned, what do people use?
i know this might seem like a dumb question but I have always used ps2 pads with adapters and I dont own a ps3.
I would assume there are wired ps3 pads, but ive never seen one.

NKZero

Noob
I don't wanna sound idiotic but doesn't the x-box 360 pad have that middle button thing as well? So what's the difference? Unless they are both banned? Idk lol...

Tim Static

Adminerator
Ive been telling you guys for a while now that DaRabidDuckie can do this.

However, what he does doesnt mean the PS3 pad isnt banned. If PS3 pads are banned, they are banned. If they stay banned regardless, why keep bothering with it? lol Its like trying to learn how to use Kratos because you want to win a tourney lol

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
You just unhook the battery, it's extremely simple from my understanding, then it just becomes a standard wired controller.

Really? Lol I had no idea. So then if I can buy a wired ps3 controller why would they ban it? I really don't wanna go to EVO with a ps2 controller....
Trust me, I HATE THE PS2 controller, i used it at texas showdown and my got, d+1 cutter always came out to d+1 ex cutter, my ex fan lift would always be regular, dash blocking was hard, dash block into cancel IAf was impossible.

Yes, Ps3 wired controllers look just like a ps2 pad, except with no battery.
But most of them are cheap. If i were you, I'd purchase a long USB cable, take out the battery, and that should suffice.

Most third party wired ps3 controllers suck ass.
But investing in a longer usb cable is probably best.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Gale to know I'm not alone on this issue. I believe they make a mlg controller that you can use either a ps3 pad or a Xbox pad. They just swap right out. Haven't tried one yet so I can't tell you how comfortable they feel.(offbrand controllers tend to have a terrible "bulky" feel to them.)

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
I've gone back and forth on pads so much it makes me crazy. I've learned that the Xbox pads are actual much easier to perform specials that recquire b,t inputs. However trying to input d,t is a fucking nightmare on a Xbox pad and can result in your character jumping straight up in the air for no reason at all......really wish I would of learned on a stick lol

RunwayMafia

Trust me, I HATE THE PS2 controller, i used it at texas showdown and my got, d+1 cutter always came out to d+1 ex cutter, my ex fan lift would always be regular, dash blocking was hard, dash block into cancel IAf was impossible.

Yes, Ps3 wired controllers look just like a ps2 pad, except with no battery.
But most of them are cheap. If i were you, I'd purchase a long USB cable, take out the battery, and that should suffice.

Most third party wired ps3 controllers suck ass.
But investing in a longer usb cable is probably best.
So if a tournament ref comes up to and says "Hey! That's a ps3 pad...that's banned!" I can just go "Look dude...it's wired!" ?

So if a tournament ref comes up to and says "Hey! That's a ps3 pad...that's banned!" I can just go "Look dude...it's wired!" ?
That's something you might want to call ahead before hand, "If I have a wired ps3 pad, with no battery, may I still use it?"

Evo is the only one I know of that bans it, with some other majors such as final round banning it too.
Mlg allows wireless, as did devastation and texas showdown (but i used a ps2 pad for it because i thought theyd be banned)

Evo is the only one I know of that bans it, with some other majors such as final round banning it too.
I can't say what EVO will say but at Final Round people just took the battery out of the standard PS3 wireless pads. The TO's had no problem with people doing that, and I think EVO people would not either.

The only reason they are banned is because of the sync issue with people not turning off the controller and then messing up a match later on. Without the battery you can't do that so I see no reason why someone would have an issue with it, but again I am not an EVO TO/Judge.