What's new

General/Other - Lasher Lasher Discussion Thread

miti_mumway

Casual Lab Monster
I have to turn input shortcuts off with Lasher Takeda because when I try to do a diagonal d1, I'll end up getting a whip strike.
Like Prof I kept it on as well, because I couldn't tell the difference. I need to test this and see if my diagonal d1 comes out more consistently online.

In addition, I entered KIT last month, and got into Lasher Takeda from watching you play in person. I didn't even connect that you were someone I'd watched on youtube before either, haha. I've dropped my previous main Cyber Kano for Takeda and have been having slightly more success against my regular sparring partner. But yeah - I considered Takeda when the game came out, thanks for reviving my interest in this character and breathing life back into the game for me :)

/back to lurking

MrProfDrPepper

NRS, Guilty Gear, and KI, the holy trinity
Low slash rules here. Duck fans and full combo punish at the same time.
Yup, I love it, only problem is that I get really impatient since I'm not use to being forced to play someone else's game lol, I'm so used to forcing everyone to play my game using the space control of my whips

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
She can't punish it when optimally spaced, the key tool in that match up is low slash, and being patient.
Yes she can't punish with standing 2 if Takeda spaces perfectly, but I need to lab more about throat slice. I doubt it's a 11f move, a lot of armor breaking setups that work on 11f move don't work on her ex throat slice, it might be 10f

MrProfDrPepper

Yes she can't punish with standing 2 if Takeda spaces perfectly, but I need to lab more about throat slice. I doubt it's a 11f move, a lot of armor breaking setups that work on 11f move don't work on her ex throat slice, it might be 10f
Even if it isn't spaced perfectly you have plenty of space, I think you are underestimating takedas range

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
@Pleasa through @MrProfDrPepper I heard you played a pressure orriented Lasher Takeda. I was hoping you'd give me some tips directly on how it's played. I want to be fluent in all three variations of Takeda and Lasher is the only one I'm still hesitant with.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Hey @Harlequin969, I have some recent footage (maybe within the last two weeks or so) of Takeda (all variations) play via my twitch account if interested www.twitch.tv/illpleasa

With that said here's a set of 5 that I played recently vs Jax (Heavy Weapons) where you can see some of the pressure game.. Please note these are Online matches where I was using less damaging conversions for some punishes cause the ping with this particular opponent was not very forgiving.

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Hey @Harlequin969, I have some recent footage (maybe within the last two weeks or so) of Takeda (all variations) play via my twitch account if interested www.twitch.tv/illpleasa

With that said here's a set of 5 that I played recently vs Jax (Heavy Weapons) where you can see some of the pressure game.. Please note these are Online matches where I was using less damaging conversions for some punishes cause the ping with this particular opponent was not very forgiving.

A lot of the pressure revolved around f122+4 but you ended in df1 a few times on hit and on block. Is there a reason that df1 is better than ending in db2? Also is f122+24 a legit block string or was it just a mix up you used because you'd conditioned your opponent?

Overall it reminds me of SR pressure. By this I mean a death by 1000 cuts type of situation with a lot of small hits adding up and a few big combos when possible or on the right read. Nice flawless brutal at the end btw

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Hello
A lot of the pressure revolved around f122+4 but you ended in df1 a few times on hit and on block. Is there a reason that df1 is better than ending in db2? Also is f122+24 a legit block string or was it just a mix up you used because you'd conditioned your opponent?

Overall it reminds me of SR pressure. By this I mean a death by 1000 cuts type of situation with a lot of small hits adding up and a few big combos when possible or on the right read. Nice flawless brutal at the end btw
I use DF1 because of the push back and slow opponent recovery it provides. If ending in DF1 you have options for both spacing or rush down as opposed to DB2 which forces you to commit to the up close pressure game but without the added benefit of being a hard knockdown... I believe @MrProfDrPepper also likes to end in DF1 for cross screen spacing purposes...

Still, DF1 and DB2 are both unsafe on block which is why I try not to rely on it unless I have already committed to them... Usually, if I know the opponent is blocking my F1(2)2+4 string, I like to mix up my enders with the close kunai for the true block string (Low) or BF4 (Tornado Strike) for the safe on block Overhead.

F1(2)2+4 is a true block string... F1(2)2+4 close kunai is also a true block string. Though using F1(2)2+4 mid kunai instead will produce a gap that can be armored through...

My Lasher is heavily based on my SR gameplay as SR was the sole Takeda variation I learned from launch till the big Sept patch.. Once those Takeda buffs came in, I learned Lasher followed by Ronin.. IMO Lasher has the same pressure tools as SR with a better 50/50 and wake up game.

Regarding the brutality finish, he was so conditioned to pressure on knockdown that the slight pause EX caught him off guard lol... (risked the flawless finish for it though cause I don't think it would've chipped enough to kill on block) lol

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Hello

I use DF1 because of the push back and slow opponent recovery it provides. If ending in DF1 you have options for both spacing or rush down as opposed to DB2 which forces you to commit to the up close pressure game but without the added benefit of being a hard knockdown... I believe @MrProfDrPepper also likes to end in DF1 for cross screen spacing purposes...

Still, DF1 and DB2 are both unsafe on block which is why I try not to rely on it unless I have already committed to them... Usually, if I know the opponent is blocking my F1(2)2+4 string, I like to mix up my enders with the close kunai for the true block string (Low) or BF4 (Tornado Strike) for the safe on block Overhead.

To my knowledge F1(2)2+4 is not a true block string... It was used with success in the set I posted because I had already conditioned my opponent (as you stated)... F1(2)2+4 is best used at max distance for its push back on block or to bait run in punishes after if the B21 is whiffed.

My Lasher is heavily based on my SR gameplay as SR was the sole variation I learned from launch till the big Sept patch.. Once those Takeda buffs came in, I learned Lasher followed by Ronin.. IMO Lasher has the same pressure tools as SR with a better 50/50 and wake up game.

Regarding the brutality finish, he was so conditioned to pressure on knockdown that the slight pause EX caught him off guard lol... (risked the flawless finish for it though cause I don't think it would've chipped enough to kill on block) lol
Alright that makes sense. I've been playing in the beta the past few days so I think f122+4 kunai is a true blockstring now. I've been using mid kunai because frame data in the original game said that close kunai is -2 and regular kunai is +2. Not sure if that's changed or not.

Do you have a preferered wake up option? Considering that df1, db2, and bf2 all have armor but different properties new options is always good.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Alright that makes sense. I've been playing in the beta the past few days so I think f122+4 kunai is a true blockstring now. I've been using mid kunai because frame data in the original game said that close kunai is -2 and regular kunai is +2. Not sure if that's changed or not.

Do you have a preferered wake up option? Considering that df1, db2, and bf2 all have armor but different properties new options is always good.
To clarify on F1(2)2+4, it has always been a true block string. F1(2)2+4 close kunai is also a true block string. Though using F1(2)2+4 mid kunai instead of close kunai will produce a gap that can be armored through...

Preferred wake-up for AAs is EX DF1

Once they are conditioned to expect EX DF1, EX DB2 is a good option.

If they start blocking low, EX Close Tornado Strike

But usually for me, preferred wake up options depend on the specific MU, your opponents style of play, and the conditioning going on throughout the match..

The fact that Lasher has a low EX option helps his wake-up game tremendously. Although opponents will just block low after they realize most of his other wake up options are mid.. I (sparingly) use EX Close Tornado Strike (overhead) if they have already been conditioned to block low.. But its slow and super punishable...

Ex: If you are playing against a character with very quick strings (Lui Kang), this will not work as they will break the armor and knock you out of the move all in one shot.. At this point is just MU exp and punishing gaps...

Alternatively, EX Far Tornado Strike can work for characters with slower strings or if they are attempting to bait your wake-up.. In this case it can take you out of their immediate pressure or even get you out of the corner with enough wiggle room to spare.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
To clarify on F1(2)2+4, it has always been a true block string. F1(2)2+4 close kunai is also a true block string. Though using F1(2)2+4 mid kunai instead of close kunai will produce a gap that can be armored through...

Preferred wake-up for AAs is DF1

Once they are conditioned to expect DF1, DB2 is a good option.

If they start blocking low, EX Close Tornado Strike

But usually for me, preferred wake up options depend on the specific MU, your opponents style of play, and the conditioning going on throughout the match..

The fact that Lasher has a low EX wake-up option helps his wake-up game tremendously. Although, most will just block low after they realize most of his other options are mid.. I (sparingly) use EX Close Tornado Strike (overhead) if they have already been conditioned to block low.. But its slow and super punishable...

Ex: If you are playing against a character with very quick strings (Lui Kang), this will not work as they will break the armor and knock you out of the move all in one shot.. At this point is just MU exp and punishing gaps...

Alternatively, EX Far Tornado Strike can work for characters with slower strings or if they are attempting to bait your wake-up.. In this case it can take you out of the corner with enough wiggle room to spare.
I'll make sure to remember that. I really appreciate you giving all this info/tech. It helps to know that you also stated from SR and trasitioned the playstyle to Lasher which is essentially what I'm doing as well.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
I'll make sure to remember that. I really appreciate you giving all this info/tech. It helps to know that you also stated from SR and trasitioned the playstyle to Lasher which is essentially what I'm doing as well.
No problem bro! Glad to help!

Last edited:

JJ44NB

Noob
This may have already been addressed in a previous post, so if I missed it I apologize.

As a lasher main, and a fighting game enthusiast in general, I realize that there are going to be bad match ups in the game. However, I seem to have an almost impossible time with Liu and Kung Lao, or almost any other rush down character.

When I try to establish space control with B+2 1, d+f1, or any other tool for that matter, my attacks get blocked and instantly countered. Then when they start establishing their block pressure, it just feels as though his pokes are just a bit to slow to get out of the pressure. I love this character SOO much, and I don't really want to give him up, but this has really been bothering me. I was hoping that someone would have some tips to offer?

Thanks

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
This may have already been addressed in a previous post, so if I missed it I apologize.

As a lasher main, and a fighting game enthusiast in general, I realize that there are going to be bad match ups in the game. However, I seem to have an almost impossible time with Liu and Kung Lao, or almost any other rush down character.

When I try to establish space control with B+2 1, d+f1, or any other tool for that matter, my attacks get blocked and instantly countered. Then when they start establishing their block pressure, it just feels as though his pokes are just a bit to slow to get out of the pressure. I love this character SOO much, and I don't really want to give him up, but this has really been bothering me. I was hoping that someone would have some tips to offer?

Thanks
@MrProfDrPepper @Vman

MrProfDrPepper

Thanks
If you are on psn add me so I can pin point exactly what your problem is, I am more than happy to help. My psn is TheMrProfDr

Thanks
I wouldn't recommend lasher against Liu Kang but against Kung Lao it is viable IMO you should try to mix up your use of db2 and avoid being easy to read. You should also use the mid kunai sometimes instead of db2 for the plus frames the most important thing is to know when to use the kunai and when to use whip trip

MrProfDrPepper

I wouldn't recommend lasher against Liu Kang but against Kung Lao it is viable IMO you should try to mix up your use of db2 and avoid being easy to read. You should also use the mid kunai sometimes instead of db2 for the plus frames the most important thing is to know when to use the kunai and when to use whip trip
Good advice is good