What's new

General/Other - Tempest Kung Lao Tempest Variation General Discussion

Lone

KHAOTIC
Don't know if your are being sarcastic or not but people like Pig of the hut and others have him bottom 8 in the game. Maybe my Kung Lao Buzzsaw is just that good because I feel he is top 10 in the game. He has the best pressure. Yeah he has no low starter but mixing strings up with low hats and teleports really opens the opponent up plus our wake up is Sooo goood. I just don't see him being bottom tier like people are suggesting.

I've been wanting to discuss Lao's pressure on here for awhile. With that said, I can't agree with that at all right now. What makes you think his pressure is great?

I'll say it is good, but really, what is guaranteed off of ex low hat for example? Only a D1 check, or perhaps a F2 depending on your opponent's counter poke frame start-up, iirc.

From there it's reacting to how they respond, you might be able to pressure with strings or go for a B2 mixup, that's if they respect your D1 check and don't begin their own offense after blocking it since we're -5. And of course you have the B2 mixups by themselves but still.

There's a lot of conditioning to be done and it's not so intimidating in a game where you have characters like D'Vorah or Scorpion canceling runs to lock you down.

One thing I will continue to work on is his ex hat spin, it's very plus so you have more options. Just have to be mindful of it returning since you lose certain moves while the hat is away.

Edit: Not sure how I feel about the TP yet, it has its uses I suppose but even when going into it from strings is a gamble. Lao is just centered on the chance/risk factor with the majority of what he does, if that makes sense, and in this game, it's not such a big reward when I compare him to the scarier characters.

Last edited:

Big_Boss_Reiko

Mortal Kombat
so does the hat shield give u advantage on block once its been activated?
it does i think but only enough hit adv for a low punch. im guessing u can cancel the low punch into a spin. i attempt it during matches wehen the opponent guesses my mixup correctly and the hat spin is on block.
Yes, if you activate it (and finish the activation animation) then they block the hat you should have an advantage on block. My question is what the hell can a hatless lao do with that advantage?

coolwhip

Noob
Don't know if your are being sarcastic or not but people like Pig of the hut and others have him bottom 8 in the game. Maybe my Kung Lao Buzzsaw is just that good because I feel he is top 10 in the game. He has the best pressure. Yeah he has no low starter but mixing strings up with low hats and teleports really opens the opponent up plus our wake up is Sooo goood. I just don't see him being bottom tier like people are suggesting.
Not bottom tier, but "best pressure"? Yeah no. It's not even very good. It's decent at best.

Those tempest buffs though... Jesus!

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
I'm excited to try tempest out now. No patch on xb1 yet and haven't had any luck setting up my ps4 account yet.. I'm assuming hat trick is still garbage though

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
Also Jason does stupid meterless damage close to 40% and possibly a few others I don't think it's unfair that Lao gets to as well even if it's only 1 variation

Mr FiF

Youtube.com/IIMR5
The Corner is Lao Playground! He likes to bully those who hee puts in the corner with crazy damage meterless

delbuster

hungry
certain strings into hatspin leave them too far and their hitstun'd animation ducks the 44. you can get like f2 guaranteed though for a smaller combo.

kunglao certainly has amazing damage now, but he'll have to really trick the opponent into letting him hit them. no low starter w/o hatspin on and no overhead starter w/ hatspin on.

certain strings into hatspin leave them too far and their hitstun'd animation ducks the 44. you can get like f2 guaranteed though for a smaller combo.

kunglao certainly has amazing damage now, but he'll have to really trick the opponent into letting him hit them. no low starter w/o hatspin on and no overhead starter w/ hatspin on.
This is why I've been saying im glad U agree.

delbuster

hungry
no real reason to, so KL has to grab and d3/4 a million times

if KL's opponent is pressing buttons though, he may be able to counter hit or whiff punish