What's new

Tech - Kotal Kahn Kotal Khan 7F safejump setup

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I just want to reiterate how awesome this tech is. Really excited to get in the lab and get this down.

Im really glad you picked up kotal, qwark :)

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
This is precisely the type of thing that us blood god and sun god players need to find and use to our advantage. Our boy kotal does insane damage . . . We just have to continue to find more and more ways to open people up by optimally utilizing our very unique toolset.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Everyone please note that THIS is the optimal setup.

The original video's setup is full of holes, you can delay wakeup, you can tech roll, etc.

In the video quoted, here's what happens.

Spin stuffed
8F D1 stuffed
Wakeup EX spin blocked ( Recorded d1 spam so AI let go of block )
DELAYED EX spin wasn't able to be blocked
DELAYED WAKEUP EX spin wasn't able to be blocked

The fact that almost none of his strings end in hard knockdowns cripple this character.

This is what happens when you try to balance a character based on a million archetypes all clusterfucked together.

The original video's setup is full of holes, you can delay wakeup, you can tech roll, etc.

Spin stuffed
8F D1 stuffed

The fact that almost none of his strings end in hard knockdowns cripple this character.

This is what happens when you try to balance a character based on a million archetypes all clusterfucked together.
So,... you think it would be better to end his combos with 212 instead of trying to go with more damage with an air takedown ender?

And what are you referencing by a million archetypes? (Curiouser and curiouser..)

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
So,... you think it would be better to end his combos with 212 instead of trying to go with more damage with an air takedown ender?

And what are you referencing by a million archetypes? (Curiouser and curiouser..)
You should always end combos with L3 command grab unless you want sun ray setups IMO.

He has a command grab, parry, healing, self hurting buff, a projectile, an air throw that doesn't work, he's a mess.

You should always end combos with L3 command grab unless you want sun ray setups IMO.

He has a command grab, parry, healing, self hurting buff, a projectile, an air throw that doesn't work, he's a mess.
Well at least he has a few consistencies like most of moves being incredibly slow to start or recover. ;)

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I don't mean to be petty, but a safe jump usually means you can do your jump attack safely and still block the 'reversal' or in NRS terminology their wakeup attack if they so choose so. This seems more like a 'bait' to get them to wakeup, and not really a safe jump.

Not saying this isn't good tech, but the terminology is a little mis-leading. Ok I'm done.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I don't mean to be petty, but a safe jump usually means you can do your jump attack safely and still block the 'reversal' or in NRS terminology their wakeup attack if they so choose so. This seems more like a 'bait' to get them to wakeup, and not really a safe jump.

Not saying this isn't good tech, but the terminology is a little mis-leading. Ok I'm done.
I was actually arguing this on reddit because safejump is also often referred to as a plain jump that allows you to block a wakeup.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I was actually arguing this on reddit because safejump is also often referred to as a plain jump that allows you to block a wakeup.
Right cause in Street Fighter the landing frames are the same whether you do an attack on the way down or not. So you always do the jump kick/punch in Street Fighter whereas NRS games if you commit to the jump attack you'll probably get hit by the armored wakeup. Plus the fact that there is no pushing back to block makes safe jumps, in the Capcom traditional sense, not practical.

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN

Spin stuffed
8F D1 stuffed

What about wake-up grab???

RNLDRGN

RONALD ROGAN
Wakeup grab is tagged I believe.
Tagged, as in you can D1 them out of it?

My point is that if you're baiting a wake-up, you're wide open for wakeup grab b/c you won't be trying to tag them with a D1.

This is good tech, but I only see it working once or twice before ppl wakeup grab.