Votes: 139 34.3%
  • Blood God

Votes: 61 15.1%
  • All Equally

Votes: 35 8.6%

• Total voters

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Guys, do you think War God's OH/Low swords could realistically be fuzzy guarded? OH is 17 frames startup and low is 21, so it's plausible that someone could train their self to block high and then switch to low quickly to avoid getting hit at all, and this could apply anywhere in his strings.

B1 --> OSS
B14

B14 --> OSS
B14 --> Sword Sweep

B12 --> Sword Sweep
B122

B122 --> OSS
B122 --> Sword Sweep

These can all theoretically be fuzzy guarded since either the low or the overhead will come out faster than the other.
I'm sure it would take a lot of practice, but if someone learned to fuzzy guard the entire b1 string family, would that make war god's sword mixups useless? They did it against HQT pred so you never know.
No

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
At the ends of strings, yes, since the opponent knows that's when to fuzzy. Throughout strings, probably not, especially since you could be using a string with an overhead/low component already.

Etoroguy

Why isn't Jax's Farm a playable stage?
I just started playing Blood God Kotal yesterday, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about the character. But is Takeda a bad match for him? While playing online my opponent would choose their character then after seeing me pick blood god, they switched to Shirai Ryu Takeda. This happened multiples times against different opponents. Why do you think this is? How do you handle the Takeda matchup?

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter
I just started playing Blood God Kotal yesterday, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about the character. But is Takeda a bad match for him? While playing online my opponent would choose their character then after seeing me pick blood god, they switched to Shirai Ryu Takeda. This happened multiples times against different opponents. Why do you think this is? How do you handle the Takeda matchup?
I can't speak to any particular specifics of that matchup other to say that if I was dude and I knew blood gods deal, then Takeda is a pretty solid pick considering hes brimming with pressure options and blood god has no real reversal.

mkl

Poopbutt.
I think Ronin is Blood God's worst MU by a country mile. SR is not good in the slightest either.

mattnin

Noob
I think Ronin is tough because hardly anyone plays him. Lasher is probably tougher but he is so overplayed that everyone already know how to defend against him. Same with Kung Jin Bojutsu, that's easy win now. But a good Ancestral KJ is tough and can zone the hell out of Kotal.

I'm thinking of picking up a new character and Kotal interests me. I've got a few questions that hopefully you guys could help answer.

1) Is he a three variation character, or do you only have to learn one or two to handle each match up?

2) Is there any match up that all three variations struggle with?

3) How meter and stamina dependent is he?

4) Buff Quan?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm thinking of picking up a new character and Kotal interests me. I've got a few questions that hopefully you guys could help answer.

1) Is he a three variation character, or do you only have to learn one or two to handle each match up?

4) Buff Quan?

goro, shinnok and 1-2 more.

very

Evil Canadian

G O K U
Premium Supporter

4) Buff Quan?
1) As wargod main, to me its much better to switch characters entirely than variations if you run into a bad matchup. Any match I feel outclassed in i'd rather pick Tremor than blood god.

2) shinnok, hqt predator, torr(the glitch is a big part of this).

3) Stam is fine, utterly bar dependent though

4) nerf quan

1) As wargod main, to me its much better to switch characters entirely than variations if you run into a bad matchup. Any match I feel outclassed in i'd rather pick Tremor than blood god.

2) shinnok, hqt predator, torr(the glitch is a big part of this).

3) Stam is fine, utterly bar dependent though

4) nerf quan
Forgive my ignorance, but what glitch?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Hadn't touched the game in weeeeeks since went I back to college, but I just had the biggest urge to rip someone's fucking heart out suddenly and have been rampaging online with Kotal for like two hours.

Damn do I love this character.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Kotal is the funnest character in the game imo. Tremor, interestingly enough, is also way up there, I just fail miserably at some of Tremors execution.

Mr Aquaman

Armored Launcher
Administrator
Premium Supporter
How does Kotal fare vs Shinnok? Specifically Impostor.
A tip for imposter with war god is you have a pretty good OS when he teleports. Just hit MB DB1, if he teleports in front of you, ex paddle will anti air for full combo, and if he teleports behind, air grab will snatch him to full combo. Full screen you can out meterbuild him and force him in or read flare with armor etc, its pretty even in WG. Blood god exp vs imposter, not great, probably one of bloods worst MU's. Instant or late teleport is hard to deal with, d2 isn't reliable. Meterless vortex that hurts like a bitch. Just block high when he has no meter, he can't get a full combo then. I would rather eat a throw or string. Defense totem is good but in this MU it is weakened by the length of his combos into a vortex situation similar to quan. So I would say in this MU the aggression needs to be turned up with crystal totem. Never fear his wake up, only think of it as extra meter for you and less for him. I see imposters wake up a lot with flare, parry is really good for reading that, one that knows the MU will do it after an air throw because kotal is actually negative and the space is perfect, kotal can not oki him at all. But if you read this simply parry and you get a full f1b2 totem combo of choice.

a few things, I am sure I could name a few more

dennycascade

UPR_ghastem
I see a lot of war gods who love to do d4 into sword 50/50s, like that's their main mixup lol. Looks strange to me. What are your thoughts?

mkl

Poopbutt.
I see a lot of war gods who love to do d4 into sword 50/50s, like that's their main mixup lol. Looks strange to me. What are your thoughts?
Not worth the risk against most characters, but if the gimmick is working then go for it. He's fairly plus after d4 on hit so it's not a completely awful idea to end a round. I just think that getting a small damage knockdown vs. getting full combo'd against many characters is a super awful risk reward ratio.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
You wanna talk about things that work but shouldn't? Canceling b1,4 into sword swipe(db3) online is just free damage against most people, lmao.

In ideal conditions you can just jump before the unblockable, but online isn't always ideal...

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
D4 into sword is legit. It makes people jump or armour and it forces a horrible situation of them being paranoid every time you do D4.

But if you play the typical flowchart herpa derp string into overhead/low then yeah, it's bad.

I dropped this game months ago but as it happens there are some extremely cheap flights to Rome where a tournament is happening so I'm getting my Autismo Kotalismo back to shape.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Not worth the risk against most characters, but if the gimmick is working then go for it. He's fairly plus after d4 on hit so it's not a completely awful idea to end a round. I just think that getting a small damage knockdown vs. getting full combo'd against many characters is a super awful risk reward ratio.
It's actually not bad. If you suspect your opponent is gonna armor the gap, you can do d4 EX overhead sword for a full combo. Same for braindead14 sword 50/50.

mkl

Poopbutt.
It's actually not bad. If you suspect your opponent is gonna armor the gap, you can do d4 EX overhead sword for a full combo. Same for braindead14 sword 50/50.
It's not even about baiting armor (and a lotta armor in this game will get you before both hits of EX Osh). The 50/50 swords can be punished by almost every character, some for full combos so the risk/reward is awful. The ones that are safe options are either high (db3u) or reactable for armor (df2). But again, if it is working then keep using it.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
EX Soul Scorch is the real MVP.

Nothing says "FUCK YOU" to your opponent like instantly gaining 25% of your health back when you're both down to the wire.

Only downside is no grab brutality. Not too much of a loss because I love Kotal's fatalities and "Be Mine" will never get old, ever.

EDIT: Fuck I really need to update the OP.