What's new

General/Other - Kitana Kitana Pre-Release General Discussion Thread

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I really wish they would've shown more of the Mournful variation. They kind of ignore any and all of the characters' normals when they do these streams (which is ok, I don't want to see EVERYTHING before the game releases), but as of right now there was nothing about it that makes me want to choose it over her other two variations.

I have to wonder if she has a version of Jade's u3 or b2.

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
I really wish they would've shown more of the Mournful variation. They kind of ignore any and all of the characters' normals when they do these streams (which is ok, I don't want to see EVERYTHING before the game releases), but as of right now there was nothing about it that makes me want to choose it over her other two variations.

Excuse you! I thought we just discussed, ON THE PHONE, mere minutes ago, that I will be the Mournful princess and YOU will be the Royal Storm! ;)

Ecodus

I ain't got time to bleed.

I agree, it'll be interesting to see if the staff has any affect on her normals.

Mst

Noob
Special Move Inputs (current build)

Kitana - Royal Storm
Rising Fan - down back 2
Throat Slice - back forward 3
Fan Throw - down forward 1
Squar Boost - down back 3
Fan-Nado - down back 1
Bounce Back - down back 4

Kitana - Assasin
Rising Fan - down back 2
Fan Throw - down forward 1
Upraise - down back 1
Assassin Strike - down back 3
Princess Parry - down back 4

Kitana - Mounful
Rising Fan - down back 2
Upraise - down back 1
Glaive Throw - down forward 1
Shadow Kick - down forward 4
Staff Grab - down back 3

I hope i didn't mess up anywhere. ;)

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Here's what I think of mTHE BAE

Royal Storm.
Looks strongs the reflect is cool she be able to MB for a teleport

Assassin
Run looks super unsafe. I hope you could cancel it so I can use it as red dash and wake up silly slide

Mournful.
I wonder if she has low rang. It looks slow kind of. And based of mk9 jade? Hope she's not low tier.

Over all.
Her Standing1( I'm confident ) looks like a good anti airair
I wish she still had cutter
Her DP better be 6f
Her d4( I think) looks OK
Her d1 looks average
The f21 esque move looks good
I wish iaF were shown off.
Her "footsies look strong" with the neck slice and ASS hope the slice doesn't hit high
Normal fans look fast
Her back jump is beautifulbeautiful
The float looks usefuluseful
Pretty kick is gone :(

RunwayMafia

Shoot them. Shoot them all.
The good thing about your character is that her variations are so unique it'll be like you aren't even playing a mirror match at all.
Exactly this. In Mk9, I fucking dreaded the Kitana mirror. Now, I'm actually excited for Kitana mirrors. Fabulous princess looks fabulous in MKX.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
After rewatching that stream again that Royal Kitana looks good. Really good. Maybe too good to pass up. She's officially on my Day 1 practice list in that variation.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I am completely loving all her variations, specially Mournful and Royal Storm, I only like Assassin becausw of her dark personality, the run and the parry <3 She is flawless. She looks good so far but TBH I've learned not to expect much from characters that look OP in videos/gameplays/trailers. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for her to be good, but not OP or ass.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'm going to tag @tylerlansdown in here to see how I look at characters and the questions that popped up while I was watching the stream (listed in red).

She looks amazing. I see some serious MK9 damage potential with Royal Storm... but 23% Sharpen whiff punish with Assassin using her run move? Looks a bit like Reptile's Dash.

The Air Fan doesn't seem to keep them floated for as long as MK9, this limits the damage she can get from a distance (30%+ in MK9).

Royal Storm:
  • Rising Fan (D,B,2)
  • Throat Slice (B,F,3)
  • Fan Throw (D,F,1)
  • Hover (???) - Short hop in the air to avoid anti airs and projectiles. Can attack after recovery.
  • Bounce Back (D,B,4) - REFLECT!! I wonder if the startup will be like Nightwolf (1 frame) or Kenshi (6 frames).
    • Unanswered? How long does it stay active if you don't hold the button? How long can you hold it for?
  • Fan-Nado (D,B,1) - Replaces Upraise. I love how it's a short type of projectile and can go fullscreen with EX.
    • Unanswered? Can this be made safe from max distance?
  • Square Boost (D,B,3) - You can do this from ANYWHERE now with no upward startup. O_O
This is the MK9 throwback variation and to me looks to be the most versatile. She can zone and win from fullscreen.

Unanswered? Are Upraise/Fan-Nado and Fan Throw still unbreakable?

Assassin:
  • Rising Fan (D,B,2)
  • Throat Slice (B,F,3)
  • Fan Throw (D,F,1)
  • Upraise (D,B,1) - This seems to be the MK9 version of the same name (NOT SHOWN ON STREAM)
  • Assassin Strike (D,B,3) - Very fast fullscreen attack. EX has armor (IIRC they said it has it in the beginning frames of the move)
    • Does 12% normally, with Sharpen the first two normal hits do 14% then the last hit does 23%.
    • EX does 19%
    • Unanswered? What happens if you have Sharpen active and use EX? Is this simply a waste of meter?
  • Princess Parry (D,B,4) - Parries physical attacks at mid/high attack level. 15%!!!
    • Unanswered? Does this parry throw attempts?
  • Sharpen (???) - Increases the damage of all fan based attacks and is on a timer. Required for full animation and damage from Assassin Strike without using meter.
    • Unanswered? Does Sharpen go away once you hit with a fan based attack or does the timer remain active for it's duration?
    • Unanswered? How long does Sharpen last? Is it incremental (ie: gradually less effective as time goes on) or like an On/Off type of boost?
    • Unanswered? How much more damage does it give to her fan moves? Percentage based or individually different?
Mournful (Jade):
  • Rising Fan (D,B,2)
  • Throat Slice (B,F,3)
  • Upraise (D,B,1)
  • Glaive Throw (D,F,1) - Don't press anything and you get straight Glaive, EX is Returnarang, hold up for Upward Glaive, hold down for Downward Glaive. Seems MUCH faster recovery than Jade in MK9.
    • Can be done in the air and EX returns and knocks down... I personally don't like the EX as it knocks them down too quickly and some characters might be able to do an instant wakeup and punish her!
    • Unanswered? Is the Downward Glaive a low attack?
  • Shadow Kick (D,F,4) - Jade's Green Kick in Shadow Kick form (no green glow). EX does an additional attack with the staff that knocks down.
    • Unanswered? Can you duck it?
    • Unanswered? Does the second hit of the EX version come out if the move is blocked or whiffs?
    • Unanswered? Does the second hit of the EX version hit mid (ie: you cannot duck under it or is it an overhead?)
  • Staff Grab (D,B,3) - Jade's Staff Grab. Just like Jade in MK9, it throws the opponent and you trade sides so it is useless against a cornered opponent unless you use meter. EX props them up on the staff and Kitana does a flip kick for additional damage.
    • Extra damage done for EX is minimal (12% total). Required use of meter to keep them on the same side is lame.
Overall I feel that they all have good stuff. MK9 Kitana mains should feel right at home with Royal Storm, though I think that Assassin may be stronger in the long run. Mournful... well, it's Jade with Kitana's Upraise... only time will tell.

EDIT: When Tyler did Kitana's Xray to finish off Kung Lao (on accident lol) at 31:27 of the video on YouTube (link below), it does 32%. Later when Tyler and Derek are playing their showdown matches, Tyler does the Xray at 48:59 and it seems to whiff one of the initial attacks and the Xray only does 29%.

Last edited:

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
They just ran out of life at the end, same happens in Injustice.
Upraise is her DP move they showed I believe.
Doubt they will answer any damage or percentage questions since it's still changing.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
They just ran out of life at the end, same happens in Injustice.
Upraise is her DP move they showed I believe.
Doubt they will answer any damage or percentage questions since it's still changing.
I know this, but it's not really the specific damage I'm asking about, it's a question about a core element built into the game if it is true. Taking less damage in the last 25% of your lifebar is a big deal. It can't be "just ran out of life at the end" because the Xray that did 29% happened when Kung Lao had around 10% life.

Upraise is her Fan Lift... Rising Fan is the DP move.