What's new

Strategy - Kitana Kitana General Discussion/Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Everybody's on about the combos but we have nothing on her footsies and little on blockstrings.
Let's fix that!
What do we follow up with on pokes?
d1 is epic. I'm not sure about her d3 but her d4 makes the opponent stumble back.

@Konqrr
@Iced_Taz
@Eldriken

Reactions: d3v

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
f+2,2,u+4 and it's post guessing game is always unsafe, as far as I know. Delay or quick Float and land is always unsafe. They can either knock you out of the air or trip guard you as you land. Doing an air fan is always unsafe. Air fan in general is extremely negative on block. If you njp they can trip guard(though it's harder than Injustice). If you do RS ass away it's super easy to run to her and punish.

The thing is it'll be hard for them if not impossible in some matchups to punish all the options all the time if you're mixing it up. Characters with fast advancing moves will have an easier time. I'm not sure how this meta plays out in all the matchups. It'll be interesting. Ultimately you could just keep it at f+2,2 and then hit confirm into lift or block confirm into ground fan, which will probably be safe against most characters. I've been trying to do that against Johnny Cage, since his f+3 is so good at blowing up the f+2,2,u+4 stuff.

Unfortunately it kind of sucks she has to play a guessing game like this after her core normal footsies tool is blocked. When you compare her f+2 with the footsies of other characters it makes me emo. OTOH the string looks very pretty.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
d,b+2 EX is decent because it can anti-air if you think they might be jumping in as their knockdown pressure. Throat Slice is probably the best bet though. EX Assassin Strike for the best damage.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
But I need this costume so bad, guess that confirms it actually is unlockable at least...
I honestly have no idea how I did it, because no notification came up, but earlier today, a notification came up that I unlocked revenent Liu Kang, No idea again what I did to trigger it.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I got Revenant randomly as well, and I know the same happened for Runway. Maybe it has something to do with using her for a specific amount of time in online matches/KOTH? I dunno, but like Jimmy said there was no notification, it was just randomly there.

My only issue is that now having seen the costume close up and realizing she has skulls in her hair I can't not picture her as Pebbles Flintstone -_-

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Her Princess Parry doesn't seem to parry projectiles, and a lot of time I am being beaten out of it. What gives?
Parries mids and standing highs. Lows beat it as well as its startup is way too slow to be an on-reaction thing. Same goes with Royal Storm's ranged parry, you'll often get shot out of it by faster projectiles.

RexxyC

what's done is done
So i'm pretty sad. I was enjoying Kitana there for a while, but as time goes on and I fight Kung Jins and Erron Blacks it becomes painfully apparent that she is just not good. I can sit there and mash strings at their faces for days, I can knock them down and play guessing games; but in the end there's no way to open the opponent up for anything. It makes me sad.

Yup. At this point, its best to mess around with other characters (including Kitana) as the meta still develops. You can't put all your eggs in one basket. Should Kitana just eventually have a hard time later down the line, then you'll thank yourself for knowing another character.

That being said, I think it is WAY too early right now to conclude Kitana's bad. Day 5 has never been indicative of the final tier list. Ever.

I'd take her fans being a mid over having ways to open people up.
What? Really? How would that make her more viable? I just hate having no choice but to play a boring ass zoning game until I can get in or punish. And her wakeup are terrible! She had some of the best wakeups in mk9 but now she just takes a pounding in the corner unless you burn meter for a knockdown.

Ugh, no point in living I'm the past though.

E

Eldriken

What? Really? How would that make her more viable? I just hate having no choice but to play a boring ass zoning game until I can get in or punish. And her wakeup are terrible! She had some of the best wakeups in mk9 but now she just takes a pounding in the corner unless you burn meter for a knockdown.

Ugh, no point in living I'm the past though.
Free chip all day, dude. The opponent couldn't just sit there and crouch while avoiding the fans. They would either have to block or jump while you're full screen. Hit 'em with an air fan and you get plenty of unbreakable damage.

Free chip all day, dude. The opponent couldn't just sit there and crouch while avoiding the fans. They would either have to block or jump while you're full screen. Hit 'em with an air fan and you get plenty of unbreakable damage.
Yah, I wouldn't want to see anymore zoning tools for her. Her fans are super fast, which is great.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
I'd personally like it if you could enhance her B2 on hit to get a launch for a combo.

Status
Not open for further replies.