What's new

Question - Kitana Kitana after the Patch

omooba

fear the moobs
Better zoning, just off the top of my head (Jacqui, Jax, Johnny Cage, Quan Cheezie, Lui Kang, Kung Lao) Kitana's zoning isnt nearly as strong as it has been in previous games due to the run and multiple teleport mechanics.

Having strong combos doesn't make a character viable if they are unsafe and unable to open opponents up, which Kitana could not do too well until now.
Other than quan chi and maybe kung lao. I disagree with the rest because there's a set game plan to get around them but In my opinion no character before broken ass Tanya could zone like a god and keep away like a goddess. She basically frustrates u until u get punished. Like kitana has no need to take any risks in her zoning game and just wait to punish u. I'm not saying she was top 5 but she was at least B in my opinion A but right now she is definitely top 10, in my opinion top 5

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
She wasn't bottom five but ok
Like I can't believe this is still a thing. How is kitana week? I dont play her but my friends do and she is insane. Like at least A tier. She doesn't need buffs. I don't know what it is that makes people think she sucks
You don't play her but your friends do. Your judgement is therefore invalid.

But if you must know, she was bad. She isn't bad anymore and the buffs were well deserved. Like it or not, we got them so deal with it.

omooba

fear the moobs
You don't play her but your friends do. Your judgement is therefore invalid.

But if you must know, she was bad. She isn't bad anymore and the buffs were well deserved. Like it or not, we got them so deal with it.
My judgement is bad cus I don't play her? Bruh I've probably fought her more times than you've played her. And I do play her I just don't main her which even if I didn't I have enough experience against her to know how reliable she is. Ur argument is invalid

xKhaoTik

My judgement is bad cus I don't play her? Bruh I've probably fought her more times than you've played her. And I do play her I just don't main her which even if I didn't I have enough experience against her to know how reliable she is. Ur argument is invalid
I'm a day 1 Kitana player, you're a Kitana viewer that knows nothing, yet my argument is invalid? That's cute lol.

I'm not even gonna waste my time and argue with you. Like I said, she was bad before. It took a while, but it eventually became visible to the community. There's a reason why there's so many people flocking to her AFTER this patch.

Last edited:
@xKhaoTik how good you think she is now ? do you think she maybe top 10 ?

i don't know much about all her variation but i know the jade clone is really good now after the patch but how good are the others ?

xKhaoTik

@xKhaoTik how good you think she is now ? do you think she maybe top 10 ?

i don't know much about all her variation but i know the jade clone is really good now after the patch but how good are the others ?
It might be too early to tell, since the patch isn't even a week old yet, but she is definitely a much better character.

It's almost like we got MK9 Kitana back. We have safe footsies, range, damage, zoning, etc. I wouldn't go as far to say she's just as good as her MK9 version tho, at least not yet.

Mournful got completely revamped. It's probably her best variation now. RS is pretty much the same. Only difference is a HKD and safe footsies. Assassin is still kinda meh but parry being 7f is a huge relief. Mournful and RS are the best variations by far.

I definitely don't want to sound spoiled or anything, but I feel the buffs she got were more deserved than needed. It feels nice to have certain attacks being a lot safer and a lot more consistent. However, I feel having at least one overhead starter would have gone a long way. Hell, even the low hitting b3 from 2 patches ago (That was just cut and pasted from the second hit of 3, d4) getting some follow ups would have been nice along with having some more variation specific strings. That would have helped her game immensely in Assassin (Especially when going up against high level Sonya, Kano, Tanya, Et al.). I think her getting these changes in spades is a result of NRS admitting that they were lazy with her design in general (Look at Mournful's normals still having fans and no staff as well as her overall playstyle before the patches before you argue.) and giving her what she should have had before. I'd trade some of her unnecessary buffs (2 in 1 Rising blades) for the F2 being an overhead anyday. Overall I just wish NRS gave this character what she deserved in the beginning since she's such an icon to MK. Good to see they saw the error in their ways.

Still, I digress. In spite of myself, it will take some time to really sieve through this good set of changes. Competitively speaking, I don't know if she can win a major by herself, but at least she doesn't have to try like hell to make chicken salad out of chicken s*** anymore. Fans up fellas.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
I definitely don't want to sound spoiled or anything, but I feel the buffs she got were more deserved than needed. It feels nice to have certain attacks being a lot safer and a lot more consistent. However, I feel having at least one overhead starter would have gone a long way.....I'd trade some of her unnecessary buffs (2 in 1 Rising blades) for the F2 being an overhead anyday.
Starcharger pls

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Kitana deserved every buff in this patch super relieved now

Too early to determine but Mournful is perhaps the strongest Kitana variation, fast zoning, footsies, space control oh my

Royal Storm got better and with a couple tweaks on her Assassin variation she would be complete

vcuzzo23

Looking for the MAWWPP Bucket!
How you do them? Sorry for the noob ? but this is my 1st fighter I'm getting into. Ohters I just played button mash style.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
I think she's fine now. Maybe assassin needs something but outside of that she's fine.

If you want good space control, zoning, and counter zoning use Royal Strom

If you want a footsies based game, a better upclose and more mix up potential

If you want to play more defensive and hit and run style play assassin.

After the patch she's one of the most versatile now variation wise. (Like Kenshi, mileena, and Shinnok)

Personally, since assassin is my favorite variation, I disagree. In that variation, she needs something to open people up with. An overhead starter or even assassins rush being an OH would do the trick.

xKhaoTik

Personally, since assassin is my favorite variation, I disagree. In that variation, she needs something to open people up with. An overhead starter or even assassins rush being an OH would do the trick.
Assassin is pretty meh. I wanna use that variation so bad but RS and Mournful just shit on it. If only sharpen was faster...
does anyone have a ex rising combo in mournful?
Run D1 staff grab

Madog32

PSN: ImaGiveItToUBaby
I agree, somewhat. Now, with mournful getting buffed and having some OH options with the air glaive, she is much improved. But I have always thought that sharpen should reward her with an OH during its duration. Maybe F2 as an OH while she's sharpened? Assassin just seems to be designed to be her 'rush down' option, but without any threat of an OH leading to damage beyond 11% (or whatever you get form B2), she could really use a reason to make you think twice about low blocking while she's pressuring you. And that should be the variation she does it in...if any. As it is now, its out-shined by the other variations, no matter what gameplay style you're going for.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
You know you can open people up with throws right? Baiting is good too. Doesn't always have to be easy braindead overhead/low mixups :p