What's new

Match-up Discussion Kenshi Matchup Discussion Thread

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
tele flurry ever smoke away

sc every smoke towards

use meter for ex tele flurry trading w smoke bomb

Get the life lead and make him come to you by making a mistake (smoke towards = sc and jk whiff teleport behind you = RK)

I always keep a pocket bar of meter to break the resets

the match is pretty 5-5. You have no reason to do anything when you have the life lead and never trade without armor. If the first 2-3 hits of tele flurry hit he's stunned but if only one hit hits then after smoke bomb he can full combo you winning the trade in a large way

Same goes for Overhead slash, even after the hit he gets up in time to combo u
What does kenshi do in the kabal mu? ive heard thats its anywhere from 5-5 to 8-2 kabal, so im confused lol

Tolkeen

/wrists
5-5 vs Quan Chi *
5-5 vs Quan Chi? are you stupid Kenshi destroys Quan Chi 7-3
You're quoting a very old matchup chart, if you're looking for the most accepted Matchup chart you need to find the one that Tom Brady posted (except change the kabal matchup to 4-6 and possibly the same for the KL matchup, I don't remember what those were)

And if you have an argument, please post it in a constructive way, instead of being so abrasive. Thank you.

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
You're quoting a very old matchup chart, if you're looking for the most accepted Matchup chart you need to find the one that Tom Brady posted (except change the kabal matchup to 4-6 and possibly the same for the KL matchup, I don't remember what those were)

And if you have an argument, please post it in a constructive way, instead of being so abrasive. Thank you.
Oh sorry I didn't see that it was old my bad

Tolkeen

/wrists
Oh sorry I didn't see that it was old my bad
It's no problem, and I found the matchup chart through a thread search. The consensus seems to be it is
Kenshi 6 - 4 Quan Chi.
I don't know why, other than Quan chi doesn't have the space control that Kenshi does, and Kenshi's fast walk speed makes it easy to move back or forward to block a front or back Teleport (on read, not reaction).

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
ok thanks
Kenshi Kabal comes down to discipline. You have to forget about a lot of your options. Flurries don't trade well with gas blasts. Slashes hit but you get hit too. He can dash through the flurries, bait spirit charges with double dash cancels. Kenshi has a high hitbox so you need your armor and d3 to get out. You have to just accept that you're gonna lose live chasing him to the corner, rushing him with d3, b2, and spirit charges. ALWAYS be ready to anti air him and keep pushing forward. Then you have to lock him down in the corner and take big damage when you can.

Here's a video I did on it last winter. I was still really new at the matchup so forgive my general sloppiness. But a lot of what I said still applies.

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam

get owned bitch!!! lol jk, and thanks for the help mayo

OZZYGUITAR

Back-dash Adam
5-5 vs Quan Chi *
5-5 vs Quan Chi? are you stupid Kenshi destroys Quan Chi 7-3
its 64 kenshi man, you can outzone him at fullscreen and jumping distance, he outfootsies you also, but you can just throw skulls at fullscreen or trance within distance

HGTV DrFlash44

Quan Cheese!!!
its 64 kenshi man, you can outzone him at fullscreen and jumping distance, he outfootsies you also, but you can just throw skulls at fullscreen or trance within distance
Omg you just block a rune and take a dash, then you outzone me. Pretty soon I'll be in the corner where I'm dead. And do you honestly want me to throw out a trance and get punished by a f2 or worst case sinario, which is not bad a spirit charge punish

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
I dont think Kenshi should have that hard of a time with liu-Kand, shoulder charge and EX up-sword should take care of the close game, and ability to reflect should make it a no brainer...

Tolkeen

/wrists
I dont think Kenshi should have that hard of a time with liu-Kand, shoulder charge and EX up-sword should take care of the close game, and ability to reflect should make it a no brainer...
iafb is low enough to hit kenshi in the face, low fireball ducks under that reflect. The only way to alleviate this is to reflect the low and hit him with a tks to drop him to the ground, which means he gets a free low fireball on wakeup. If Kang is smart, and delays the projectiles, he can low fireball under tf getting the life lead. It's not easier for anyone at full screen, it's just annoying. And being the reflector means that you have to be on point with your reflect, because if you get hit with either, and another is sent immediately, it's much more likely that the next will hit you before your reflect comes out, so you'll have to block another fireball.

And kenshi's armor is good against most up close games, but if the aggressor is smart, and mixes it up very creatively (with blocking) then you can bait the use of armor, and go back to zoning again.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that LK has the advantage, but I wouldn't say that Kenshi dominates this match by any means.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
I can definately agree to that, but to give LK the lead by 2 games seems a little one sided. Ive been able to handle the best JC's in the game easily with Kenshi, so I just could understand why KL would be difficult but you sited very good examples, but chances are your never going to fight a worthy LK, because they seem to just not exist

Tolkeen

/wrists
I can definately agree to that, but to give LK the lead by 2 games seems a little one sided. Ive been able to handle the best JC's in the game easily with Kenshi, so I just could understand why KL would be difficult but you sited very good examples, but chances are your never going to fight a worthy LK, because they seem to just not exist
They exist, but I PERSONALLY will never run into them lol, but that can be said about a lot of characters. To give him 2 games would put him at 7-3? which I think is dumb, I'd probably say (at pigs level) it's gonna be a very close match. It's all about who knows how to annoy their opponent more.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
I have matches set up with Pig tomorrow, to show me the ropes and get my Kenshi ready for Dallas, my concern isnt with the non-existant ;) LK's its the JC's, it seems like Kenshi does not have an answer for a well coordinated Cage, other than EX, up sword or a shoulder rush, what do you do in the very likely case that you get stuck in the perverbial "cage"

Tolkeen

/wrists
I have matches set up with Pig tomorrow, to show me the ropes and get my Kenshi ready for Dallas, my concern isnt with the non-existant ;) LK's its the JC's, it seems like Kenshi does not have an answer for a well coordinated Cage, other than EX, up sword or a shoulder rush, what do you do in the very likely case that you get stuck in the perverbial "cage"
Poke out. Armoring out always seems like a really easy option, but the problem you face is players like dizzy, curbo, and other top cages are looking for that armor. Dizzy won't autopilot pressure you, he'll cross you over or block your armor...or worse for you, he'll armor you back. Don't be afraid to d1, exsc, or d3 exsc, any room to breathe is room enough for kenshi. And zone as long as you can, I once tried to mix it up and dash forward for a f3, that didn't end too well. I ended up dead 10 seconds later, so just play to YOUR strengths, and when cage gets in, don't panic. He's just a movie star, it's not like he's a shaolin monk that's been training for his entire life and has a 6frame spin and a teleport.

Canoptek Zombie

Error Macro
lol more like Johnny Cage is FAKE....lol sorry I have a friend that I play casuals with that has a bigger love towards cage than cage does himself, and he loves to do CONSTANT mix-ups, with the 2 punches followed by the leg trip, into a shadow upkick, but the problem is the upkick puts him behind kenshi right up in his face, Ive learned when all else fails to either shoulder charge, or ex sword, and once their away, flurries mixed with down swords, I always love punishing the EX shadow kich with a f3, 2, upsword, f3, 2, shoulder lol

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
This was Pig Of The Hut old matchup chart, before the whole fiasco yesterday with his new one, and both threads got closed. In the interest of saving this chart (because it is quite good) I am posting it here.

Heavy Advantage
Kano 9-1

Jade 9-1

Sub zero 9-1

Baraka 8-2

Kitana 8-2

Cage 8-2

Ermac 7-3

Csub 7-3

Sheeva 7-3

Quan chi 7-3

Stryker 7-3

Mileena 7-3

Nightwolf 7-3

Sektor 7-3

Rain 7-3

Luis kang 7-3

Slight Advantage

Scorp 6-4

Jax 6-4

Sonya 6-4

Sindel 6-4

Shang 6-4 (Possibly 5-5)
Dead Even
Noob 5-5

Raiden 5-5

Skarlet 5-5

Cyrax 5-5

Slight Disadvantage

Cyblax 4-6

Reptile 4-6

Smoke 4-6

Kabal 4-6

Freddy 4-6

Kung Lao 4-6

Hi Kenshi Masters! This might sound kind of noob-ish, but I am kind of a noob. I just got beat online by a Scorpion and could use some help. I've adopted Kenshi as my main, and I think I get the basic strategy of him as a 'zoner' keeping opponents at distance. Essentially, I have an opponent far away and pop Tele-flurry or Telekinetic Slash on them. I continue those moves as they close in. If they get too close, I can Spirit Charge them back, and I have Rising Karma too particularly for those jumping in. My toe-to-toe work isn't that great, so if someone gets in I am looking to SC or just jump away and create some distance. This is my basic approach, does that sound right so far? It seems to work just fine against Sonya, Johnny Cage, and others that need to get in close to be at their best. The real problem I have is with Teleporters, like Scorpion and Mileena. All my work at keeping someone at bay is out the window real quick with one move. I'd like to know how to claim an edge over some of these characters like the MU lists seem to say. The match for me seems to go that I make a Tele move, they Teleport in, I try to get away and create distance, they Teleport in, repeat. This is a serious gap for me since there are a lot of Teleporters. Sometimes I am being hit from behind by a Teleprt move before my Tele-move is done. I read about punishing a Teleport, but I don't know exactly how to do that or even generally how to deal with Teleporters. Can you please help?

Hi Kenshi Masters! This might sound kind of noob-ish, but I am kind of a noob. I just got beat online by a Scorpion and could use some help. I've adopted Kenshi as my main, and I think I get the basic strategy of him as a 'zoner' keeping opponents at distance. Essentially, I have an opponent far away and pop Tele-flurry or Telekinetic Slash on them. I continue those moves as they close in. If they get too close, I can Spirit Charge them back, and I have Rising Karma too particularly for those jumping in. My toe-to-toe work isn't that great, so if someone gets in I am looking to SC or just jump away and create some distance. This is my basic approach, does that sound right so far? It seems to work just fine against Sonya, Johnny Cage, and others that need to get in close to be at their best. The real problem I have is with Teleporters, like Scorpion and Mileena. All my work at keeping someone at bay is out the window real quick with one move. I'd like to know how to claim an edge over some of these characters like the MU lists seem to say. The match for me seems to go that I make a Tele move, they Teleport in, I try to get away and create distance, they Teleport in, repeat. This is a serious gap for me since there are a lot of Teleporters. Sometimes I am being hit from behind by a Teleprt move before my Tele-move is done. I read about punishing a Teleport, but I don't know exactly how to do that or even generally how to deal with Teleporters. Can you please help?
if you think scorp is gonna teleport block it then punish him with forward 22 back 1, dash forward 3 2 rising karma, dash forward 3 2 spirit charge. thats how i punish it. after blocking the teleport, wait till his feet hit the ground to do the combo.

Dang, just got pawned by another Scorpion with an even worse record than mine. Once he figured he could spam Hellfire at me it was no bueno. If I jumped, it was Spear or Teleport. I just couldn't seem to get anything going. Guess I just don't see how Scorpion w/ Teleport and Hellfire is at a disadvantage.

Dang, just got pawned by another Scorpion with an even worse record than mine. Once he figured he could spam Hellfire at me it was no bueno. If I jumped, it was Spear or Teleport. I just couldn't seem to get anything going. Guess I just don't see how Scorpion w/ Teleport and Hellfire is at a disadvantage.
go on youtube and type in "mk9 blackula kenshi vs scorpion" and youll see a video of a pretty good kenshi player playing that match up. it'll give you a good idea of what to do.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Alright, lets talk Kung Lao (you guys probably hate answering questions about this matchup, but whatever). I watched Under_The_Mayo 's video which as extremely helpful (mostly the walking and d3 to sc checking.) However, I know Pig Of The Hut has another method for dealing with teleport, but I cannot seem to get it to work. Could somebody explain to me what exactly you have to do to get kenshi to stay facing the other way for the instant 3 to whiff? Also, if kung lao divekicks over you, what are you guys doing against it? Depending on the range I have been checking with Sc which seems to be pretty effective, is there anything better?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Alright, lets talk Kung Lao (you guys probably hate answering questions about this matchup, but whatever). I watched Under_The_Mayo 's video which as extremely helpful (mostly the walking and d3 to sc checking.) However, I know Pig Of The Hut has another method for dealing with teleport, but I cannot seem to get it to work. Could somebody explain to me what exactly you have to do to get kenshi to stay facing the other way for the instant 3 to whiff? Also, if kung lao divekicks over you, what are you guys doing against it? Depending on the range I have been checking with Sc which seems to be pretty effective, is there anything better?
Ill make a COMPREHENSIVE video very soon