What's new

Kano Patch changes.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
One interesting this is that Kano's combos were never so difficult if you know when to full or short dash.

cyke_out

Noob
True, but it was still tighter than it needed to be. especially compared to other characters with eaiser and more damaging BnB.

The fixes to his 2,1,2 hitboxes is the best buff they could have given Kano, for my playstyle at least, I doubt I'll ever use ex knives in comboes much.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
Aw yeah, finally got the patch for PSN, and I really like the changes to Kano. He feels complete, finally, after all this time! B112, 212, F11 choke for 31% is very easy to pull off now. F3B2, 212, 4 up ball hits for 29% or F11 choke for 28% which for a low, isn't too bad. B2, F1 up ball hits for 21%. Standing 4, 11 and B2 have certainly have had some frames shaved off too, they're certainly faster. There's a lot of undocumented changes to Kano. Personally, I'll always feel that Kano having xray mentally fucks with the player, though. However, I certainly like the corner EX knives combos, and EX ball is viable now as well.

Now, if I can only get the damn EX ball to come out consistently! I feel that Kano can compete now.

GNG Iniquity

b+2,f+1 xx EX knife, ball. 32%, just spin the stick really really fast after knife and you'll nail it. Not sure how practical it is for pad players though. The overhead string is definitely hit-confirmable offline, not likely online though.
Very nice, I only pulled that off like 1/5 times with a pad though. It looks as if F12 ex knife ball will work mid screen, can't get it out quickly enough though, if I do I'll let you know.

edit: yes, yes it does!

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Hi Kano mainers!

I'm not really into Kano, but with the patch hitting PSN today and me being a combo junkie, I found this midscreen combo using the :en Knife:

j.:fp/:bp, :r + :fk :l + :bp, dash :l + :fp :fp xx :en Knife, dash :r + :fp :bp xx Upball - 42%

It requires timming, but wanted to share it anyways.

cyke_out

Noob
Nice combo, gonna need to work on these ex knife juggles, and feel like a more manly version of Kitana.

I'm loving the new Kano too, the changes to the wake up game, make all of his wake-ups completely invincible, his combo's are slightly easier to pull off, which is helpful online, does his regular knife feel faster to anyone, I thought just his ex knife was tweaked, so maybe I'm just high on new patch fever.

Thanks a lot for the idea Bildslash! I reworked it a bit to make it MUCH easier while giving the same damage - just replace the f+12 at the end with b+11 and you have a larger window. I think this is a legit bnb now! Shame it doesn't work from 212, but I guess that's the least useful launcher anyway.

EDIT: b+11 does around 0.5% less in this combo than f+12, from further testing. No big deal, the timing for f+12 is ridiculous.

cyke_out

Noob
does his regular knife feel faster to anyone, I thought just his ex knife was tweaked, so maybe I'm just high on new patch fever.
I'm quoting myself, because I'm seeing this same feeling floating around by other players on TYM. does anyone have any hard data?

WynterEnd

Your sacrifice honors me!
I have regular knife throw as 2 frames less startup than pre-patch! Comparing updated PS3 copy to un-internet-connect 360 version...

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Feel_The_Byrne said:
Thanks as well! Is this the exact same a s his old knife now? Patch still hasn't been released on eu psn.
I have no hard evidence either, but I told Funkdoc that the current knife toss definitely feels like the original knife toss.

Kano is very solid at the moment. This is by far the best version of the character since the safe up ball. However, I still see two problematic match ups in Kabal and Sub Zero, who are and will be two popular tournament characters.

I$AAC

Noob
Kano is very solid at the moment. This is by far the best version of the character since the safe up ball. However, I still see two problematic match ups in Kabal and Sub Zero, who are and will be two popular tournament characters.
This I'm ok with seeing as both kabal and sub are not herp derp characters to use

I still don't see how Raiden's not a problem tbh. About the only thing you do better than him is pressure, and even then you have to be careful considering he has 2 armor moves and one of them leads to a 30% combo. Yeah, you can punish teleports on reaction with upball, but there's not much reason for Raiden to teleport in this match unless he sees you throw a knife. He just outpokes you and lames you out - it's a very CvS2 match, where both characters have to do nothing but walk back and forth a lot of the time, and that plays much more to Raiden's strengths.

Somberness

Lights
I have regular knife throw as 2 frames less startup than pre-patch! Comparing updated PS3 copy to un-internet-connect 360 version...
I tested knife up close and got 17 frames instead of 16, but I think that's just because TheSabiie is wrong. What do you get?

GNG Iniquity

Really? I'm getting it like 8/10
I'm just doing F,D,B,F block...it SHOULD be coming out more consistently. Are you on a stick, by chance? I've heard that it's easier on a stick. Generally if I'm trying to get a ball out quickly I just do F,D,B,F twice in a quick motion, but in regards to trying to get the EX out, I've been doing it the standard way.

Not that Kano is zoned out very often, but I'd certainly like to be able to utilize this option, no clue why it's such a pain in the ass for me. Admittedly, it always has been, Kano was the first character I picked up.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
If only straight ball could have been df1... >_< On a more serious note, I've been messing with f11 for pressure and it's pretty good.

Bildslash

Goro Lives 
Nice combo, gonna need to work on these ex knife juggles, and feel like a more manly version of Kitana.

I'm loving the new Kano too, the changes to the wake up game, make all of his wake-ups completely invincible, his combo's are slightly easier to pull off, which is helpful online, does his regular knife feel faster to anyone, I thought just his ex knife was tweaked, so maybe I'm just high on new patch fever.
Thanks a lot for the idea Bildslash! I reworked it a bit to make it MUCH easier while giving the same damage - just replace the f+12 at the end with b+11 and you have a larger window. I think this is a legit bnb now! Shame it doesn't work from 212, but I guess that's the least useful launcher anyway.

EDIT: b+11 does around 0.5% less in this combo than f+12, from further testing. No big deal, the timing for f+12 is ridiculous.
Glad to see it proved useful. :)

GNG Iniquity

Try.... F,D,B,U+Block works much better imo.
I do notice an improvement by doing that instead, however, it seems to only help if I'm on the right side of the screen lol

If only straight ball could have been df1... >_< On a more serious note, I've been messing with f11 for pressure and it's pretty good.
Yeah, I mean I understand that Kano had the same input for MK1 and it's the nostalgia factor going here, but the EX is just aggravating with this input. He does have pretty nice pressure in general!

BEENEEWEENEES

Thou shalt be slain!
best way i can get ex ball to consistently come out;
hold block, fdb release and tap block again f. just do that shit fast. works 99% of the time for me.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
funkdoc said:
I still don't see how Raiden's not a problem tbh. About the only thing you do better than him is pressure, and even then you have to be careful considering he has 2 armor moves and one of them leads to a 30% combo. Yeah, you can punish teleports on reaction with upball, but there's not much reason for Raiden to teleport in this match unless he sees you throw a knife. He just outpokes you and lames you out - it's a very CvS2 match, where both characters have to do nothing but walk back and forth a lot of the time, and that plays much more to Raiden's strengths.
Raiden's teleport has a couple of additional recovery frames while the knife toss has apparently less recovery frames, so you should be staying full screen away and tossing knives. If Raiden teleports, there is a high chance that he gets hit by an up ball as the inputs for the knife toss are reversed (i.e., d,b+2 becomes d,f+2). Raiden can obviously use EX superman to blow through a knife, but you take 10-11% of damage while he takes 9%. That is a poor trade for one bar of super meter unless Raiden is winning the fight. The only thing Kano cannot do in this match up any longer is blow through Raiden's strings with the up ball because it is about 9 frames now. If he could, Raiden would be no match. Raiden is arguably Kano's best top tier match up in my opinion.