What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

BoricuaHeat

PSN:KrocoCola
Yo, I didn't know F2 and F24 into BF4 Run Cancel were so plus on block, I couldn't even get Kotals crouching jab to come out even with precise inputs while going into another F24. In addition to that, the only to escape say F24 Run Cancel into another F24 is by using armor or a low profile normal. Also you can follow up for a nut punch with F24 BF4 Cancel into either D1 or F3 then bust their berries.

However even though it beat someone mashing normals, I could not for the life of me get it to jail into D1 (I would also always get hit out by Kotals armored command grab) so be sure to keep that in mind if you use this.

114 BF4RC however didn't have this problem and could jail into F3. Finally 21BF4RC is actually plus 2 on block (trades with Kotal D1 with our D1).

Quick video of me screwing around in practice,

I'm still new to Cage's Run Cancel pressure so some of the numbers may be off, but in due time I'll have the exact numbers on block for strings canceled with run.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
What is mb fireballs on block in stuny double??
It's 0 on block, same as the other variations. Difference is that they're both high in SD instead of mid, so they can just duck the second one on reaction if they know. Not really worth the meter.

Last edited:

Zebster

How's my volume?
Hey, did Johnny have that Soccer costume in the character viewer before today's patch? I just noticed it. Looks like it belongs to the rumored Brazil costume pack.

Snaaaake

Noob
Regarding today's patch:

• Johnny Cage – Adjusted some hitboxes to hit crouching opponents more consistently.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but how big of a deal is this? Can anyone explain this?

Wrath0594

+3 I believe, don't believe the frame data
Unless this is something with the new patch, they're 0, not +3. Try the jump test. You have to do it at point blank, otherwise the travel time changes things. At most, SD is maybe +1 it seems.

A good block string I found with Stunt Double Johnny consists of an overhead and low, which could trip up the opponent and lead to more mix-ups and combos.
F24 ~ Mimic ~ enhanced rising shadow mimic ~ D3 (a little delay between the overhead and then the D3) then into F3 or more pressure

Wrath0594

I'm a Stunt Double main and I've finally gotten good with A-List and have been experimenting with Fisticuffs, but still can't really see a reason to use either. Is there A-List pressure that isn't escapable by someone just mashing d1? Was testing f24 into things, but everything is interuptible by someone with a fast d1 like Johnny himself. Seems the main strength is the f3 punishes, but Stunt Double gets an even bigger combo off f3 as long as you have a clone stocked. Fisticuffs seems to rely on ex forceball to end a lot of strings with free chip, but it's neutral on block and just straight inferior to ex clone db1 for pressure.

I'm a Stunt Double main and I've finally gotten good with A-List and have been experimenting with Fisticuffs, but still can't really see a reason to use either. Is there A-List pressure that isn't escapable by someone just mashing d1? Was testing f24 into things, but everything is interuptible by someone with a fast d1 like Johnny himself. Seems the main strength is the f3 punishes, but Stunt Double gets an even bigger combo off f3 as long as you have a clone stocked. Fisticuffs seems to rely on ex forceball to end a lot of strings with free chip, but it's neutral on block and just straight inferior to ex clone db1 for pressure.
If someone keeps trying to poke that's when I block and counterpoke or just ex nutpunch. Pressure in a list is more about reading your opponents tendencies

Wrath0594

If someone keeps trying to poke that's when I block and counterpoke or just ex nutpunch. Pressure in a list is more about reading your opponents tendencies
But any variation can do those things. My points is that if the run cancels are just as interuptible as normal f24 pressure, then what's the point of A-List?

But any variation can do those things. My points is that if the run cancels are just as interuptible as normal f24 pressure, then what's the point of A-List?
f34rc seems to have significant advantage, 121rc has some but not as much, but the special cancels don't have any.

I tested out f34rc on Cassie's reversal flipkick and was able to stuff her almost every time with my own followup. 121rc it was a little harder but possible.

For the special cancels, it seems more useful to maybe backdash after them and try to bait and whiff punish.

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Why does fisticuffs feel super slept on? Good players spend a decent amount of time blocking but if your opponent is a fisticuffs Cage who knows what they're doing your gonna be eating a shit ton of chip damage. I'm just speculating but it seems underrated. You get a damage boost at low health as well ya?

Wrath0594

f34rc seems to have significant advantage, 121rc has some but not as much, but the special cancels don't have any.

I tested out f34rc on Cassie's reversal flipkick and was able to stuff her almost every time with my own followup. 121rc it was a little harder but possible.

For the special cancels, it seems more useful to maybe backdash after them and try to bait and whiff punish.
I tested f24rc and f34rc and Johnny's d1 beat them both. Lotsa characters with the same d1 in the game too who will just poke out, the same way they would against normal f24 pressure. A-List seems really underwhelming.

Wrath0594

Why does fisticuffs feel super slept on? Good players spend a decent amount of time blocking but if your opponent is a fisticuffs Cage who knows what they're doing your gonna be eating a shit ton of chip damage. I'm just speculating but it seems underrated. You get a damage boost at low health as well ya?
All variations actually get that damage boost, and Stunt Double has a 3 bar string that does 20% chip that's nearly impossible to get out of anyway. Clone ex db1 sets up better chip opportunities anyway. A lot better than using ex forceball like you have to in fisticuffs.

Most of his strings are negative on block, there's nothing to keep constant pressure going in that variation so the buff is worthless aside from zoning.

It sucks, I want to shave Ed boons eyebrows off for this lol

Devin Thorn

chimp damage
Most of his strings are negative on block, there's nothing to keep constant pressure going in that variation so the buff is worthless aside from zoning.

It sucks, I want to shave Ed boons eyebrows off for this lol
That's a bummer because the idea is neat but I'll try stunt double. Idk maybe just do fisticuffs for the hell of it haha is stunt double hard to use?