What's new

General/Other - Johnny Cage Johnny Cage General Discussion Thread

Snaaaake

Noob
Question for A-list players: what are you guys using as a follow up for the cancels? I'm using 11, poke, f2 and the occasional throw. What else could be a good option after a cancel? Also, do we have any high level A-list footage? I've only seen SD videos so far.

Question for A-list players: what are you guys using as a follow up for the cancels? I'm using 11, poke, f2 and the occasional throw. What else could be a good option after a cancel? Also, do we have any high level A-list footage? I've only seen SD videos so far.
EX Nutpunch :DOGE

No but those are all good options. It really depends on your opponent. Do they tend to keep blocking after a cancel? Crouch block? Do they like to try and poke after?

If they keep blocking, I usually do a tick throw, another f34rc, or try f24 if they're crouch blocking. 12, 114exfb, 113nutpunch, or 121rc if they stand block. If they like to poke afterwards, EX nutpunch will blow that up, or you can play it safe and block and counterpoke or go back into pressure.

If they jump after, try to d1 or NJP to catch them.

rafaw

#YouSuck
after 2 cancels(thats when your stamina is gonne) you should do your mix up, so if you just did one cancel, do another one, 4xxsk~rc into mix up or f3[4]rc into mix up... i really like to do d4 after those so you either get a hit and have a free f24(if you have meter f24xxExfb into f3rc or d4 again), once they start blocking your d4 is time for you to f24 after the cancels.

Snaaaake

Noob
I have another question: How many of you can consistently do his bnbs? Especially online? F3~NP is killing me, I drop it most of the time.

I really want to main JC but not being able to do his bns properly is really throwing me off. I know it's hard to say but any tips you guys can give? This really doesn't seem to be improving with practice.

rafaw

#YouSuck
I have another question: How many of you can consistently do his bnbs? Especially online? F3~NP is killing me, I drop it most of the time.

I really want to main JC but not being able to do his bns properly is really throwing me off. I know it's hard to say but any tips you guys can give? This really doesn't seem to be improving with practice.
i can do all the bnb like, 100% of the time i guess! witch bnb are you talking about?

Don't stress yourself about online play. It's suppose to be fun/casual and not taken seriously.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134

Murdered me for like a week straight too. Found a vid where someone used rc into standing 1, then f3 nutpunch. Still have to delay the f3 a tiny bit, but its MUCH easier. I only know his Stunt Double bnb's though, so no clue if this could help with A-List. Before that, I found run cancelling f2 into nutpunch slightly easier than f3.

But yeah- bnb I'm using now is f24, d1, f3xx clone db1, rc 1, f3 nutpunch. Gets 30% and saves the other mimic for pressure since 113 clone db1 will land midscreen off the 2nd mimic. I like how much his combo damage goes up when you burn a bar for exnutpunch- like a 12% increase.

Snaaaake

Noob
i can do all the bnb like, 100% of the time i guess! witch bnb are you talking about?
Anything that ends with F3 into nut punch. I often miss the timing and end up finishing combos with just F3. Yeah I know, I suck.

Don't stress yourself about online play. It's suppose to be fun/casual and not taken seriously.
Yeah I know, I really don't get stressed with it. It's just that I was considering switching characters for one whose bnbs I can perform consistently at least. What I meant is that I can't even do them offline most of the time, let alone online.

Wrath0594

Ooooh. Forgot that the A-List nutpunch comes out too slow, while Stunt Double is too quick. I think I saw someone say to tap 3 twice to get it to come out faster or something.

^^This.

It took me a while to get used to the lag input for his BnBs on ranked, and I still drop combos due to online playability, but I don't stress it because I know I can do them 100% in an offline match where it matters the most. The biggest killer is performing the dash/run cancels effectively online without getting blown up because of the lag. Currently that's what I'm dealing with, but again, I can do them fine offline so I'm not stressing about it.

Wrath0594

Free.

This character is seriously really good and is going to cause some chaos once a lot of every other character gimmicks get weeded out.
Not seeing Cassie's neutral dominating b12 which can either hit 4 for + frames or confirm into a launcher on hit in addition to her better walk speed, and 46% corner vortex really getting "weeded out". Top tiers like her, Quan, Raiden, Sub Zero, Erron, and Kung Jin don't have gimmicks, they have flat out better tools. There's nothing to adapt to. At the highest level of play, Johnny loses to them hard. He probably does great against the rest of the cast who are much better balanced against eachother

Game looks like it'll have SSB Melee balance, ending up with like 4 tourney viable characters. Rip variety.

Last edited:
Not seeing Cassie's neutral dominating b12 which can either hit 4 for + frames or confirm into a launcher on hit in addition to her better walk speed, and 46% corner vortex really getting "weeded out". Top tiers like her, Quan, Raiden, Sub Zero, Erron, and Kung Jin don't have gimmicks, they have flat out better tools. There's nothing to adapt to. At the highest level of play, Johnny loses to them hard. He probably does great against the rest of the cast who are much better balanced against eachother

Game looks like it'll have SSB Melee balance, ending up with like 4 tourney viable characters. Rip variety.
Way to early to be saying any of this, especially what i put in bold.

its thinking like this that will hold the progression of competitive play back, not move it forward

Wrath0594

Way to early to be saying any of this, especially what i put in bold.

its thinking like this that will hold the progression of competitive play back, not move it forward
I guess I'm not familiar with NRS's track record, but with no changes, this is how the game is. Play the matchups, learn the characters and you'll see that they are objectively better. At first I was all aboard the "wait and see" train, but now I've reversed my opinion and I think the game would be pretty good if the characters I mentioned were brought down to everyone else's level. If that happened, Scorp and KL would prolly be the new top tier, but they're so much more in line with everyone else. I'm just wondering what the hell they were thinking.

This isn't even coming from a salt level or something. I mained Cassie, and now I'm pretty much done with her because she has literally no bad matchups. There's not a single character who can give her a tough time. Quan barely goes even with her. Now that I've put serious time into Johnny, Liu, and others, I've just been able to see how ridiculous the top characters are by comparison. It's disgusting how powerful their tools are, given how little effort it takes to use them.

Last edited:

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?

At this point it looks like Quan is a overall better char, but I'm not convinced he dominates or even beats Cage. Quan doesn't deal with pressure well. Nor does Raiden.

Johnnies really good he just isn't auto pilot like a lot of characters. Basic Johnny is free. You really have to play patient and smart.

I'll be using Stunt Double for the Sub matchup for sure lol.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'll be using Stunt Double for the Sub matchup for sure lol.
Yeah anybody that can zone well, SD is the answer. I truly think SD is slept on and people naturally want to gravitate towards A-List for the cancels, but you can put tremendous pressure with SD if you know how to use it. And I think we are all still learning how to to put SD together