What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax little too Safe?

He's full screen. Just duck! Or jump over it.
The recovery is so bad that some characters can probably punish it full screen.
I main Quan chi and can fullscreen punish it with a ground blast or a portal grab if I duck but my other characters like Sonya, Kung jin and Biggie/Smalls (lackey) can't punish him fullscreen D:

EMPEROR_JUPITER

Your ego betrays you.
When TECHNICALLY speaking jax is never safe after a f3-special or any special cancel. Gotcha grab can be ducked, along with projectile and dash punch. OH dash punch is -16 on block, it's all about reads, honestly he's far from safe compared to some other characters. As the game progresses and people level up they will realize how unsafe he is. He lacks true block strings other then f2,1.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Predannok
@Asodimazze
@chores
@SaltShaker
@slacked

This thread smh. And @Predannok using my tech videos to prove a point on energy wave, just.... ugh.
Here let me make life easy for everyone and expose Jaxs weakness and gameplan.

Education Time

Jax's pressure is SUPER high dependant. Tyrant fyi gets away with murder using so many highs to start his pressure. if anyone was even remotely comfortable in the matchup vs Jax they would see that you could low poke him after practically anything and stop his pressure clean. Don't believe me? Try it yourself.

This character's main gameplan is to force you to duck and poke his pressure so he could setup for risky Overhead Dash Punch, but if you don't ever low poke out OF COURSE Jax is just going to relentlessly poke you all day and go for hit confirms.

The energy wave also turns into an "ok" tool up close one you realize you could low poke him when you predict he'll end a poke or string with it. Need an answer? Low poke Jax. He has big big problems vs low profiles like Liu Kang D3 and Cassies weird duck block animation and the list goes on and with low profile pokes.

F3 is punishable and if he links into a special you could low profile out and punish our just armor out, its not a block string. After doing it enough you'll realize for the most part F3 is gimmicky so even my tech video with full screen Energy wave is risky (yea and you could duck energy waves full screen and take huge steps forward before he could react)

And btw his mixup game once you know about the low poke strategy against him is super duper risky and unreliable. In the corner he gets his mixups reliably plus his pressure which makes him better.

People need to seriously lab stuff before making threads like this, its ridiculous. Jax complaints now? Seriously? He's just fine.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Circus

The thing about ducking is that if you're blocking a string and saying "hey lemme duck this energy wave" you can just as easily be hit with OH Dash Punch for a full combo.

The thing about poking is that if Jax expects this he can EX OH Dash Punch for full combo.

The thing about standing is that his pressure can be overwhelming.

I wasn't going to say much on this but you tagged me. Imo Jax is ungodly levels of good, and it just isn't being noticed, yet. I don't speak on it much like I do someone like Kung Jin because I feel his levels are just bad design. You make it sound so easy but it really isn't as easy as that when he also has options, superior options if caught guessing wrong, than you do.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
@Circus

The thing about ducking is that if you're blocking a string and saying "hey lemme duck this energy wave" you can just as easily be hit with OH Dash Punch for a full combo.

The thing about poking is that if Jax expects this he can EX OH Dash Punch for full combo..
That's the whole mixup, you're right.
He has to take a huge risk with OH Dash Punch to stop something like a low poke to easily escape his pressure.

What you're not right about is that it isn't easy. Its very easy once you understand the matchup.

SaltShaker you are a really charming guy and have the gift of gab. You know what to say to make you're words hold weight in a debate and I respect that. I'm saying this right now though, I'm dead serious when saying his pressure isn't as hot as you think. If you want to run some sets until your accustomed to the matchup like many of the best in Florida have after practicing against me, I'd gladly like to show you instead of just going back and forward here. Im serious when i say Jax is fine. There's tons of bs in this game, Jax isn't part of it. He has his weaknesses.

Last edited:

Notez4

Noob
mos def need to run more sets with you circus. im trying to let go of jacqui so i cant just rely on trying to zone jax out anymore.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
That's the whole mixup, you're right.
He has to take a huge risk with OH Dash Punch to stop something like a low poke to easily escape his pressure. What you're not right about is that it isn't easy. Its very easy once you understand the matchup.

SaltShaker you are a really charming guy and have the gift of gab. You know what to say to make you're words hold weight in a debate and I respect that. I'm saying this right now though, I'm dead serious when saying his pressure isn't as hot as you think. If you want to run some sets until your accustomed to the matchup like many of the best in Florida have after practicing against me, I'd gladly like to show you instead of just going back and forward here. Im serious when i say Jax is fine. There's tons of bs in this game, Jax isn't part of it. He has his weaknesses.
Yea I'll give you that. It could be a MU thing. I'm having more problems against good Jax players than my infamous Kung Jin campaigns lol. From my experiences so far it's like every time I can, say poke out of something, he gets right back in and I get blown up the second time.

Hell yea I'm always down for games man. My PSN is Anti-Scrub. I'll be able to play Fri-Sun for a ton of hours as well as after 9-10pm east coast on week nights so send me a friend request. Would love to figure out why I'm getting stomped In this MU before i run into it in tournament, but I haven't gotten to play too many really good Jax players yet outside of two who I can't play very often.

I do think he's very, very strong though. But I don't think he's "broken" in any way which is way I haven't really spoken on him much.

FYI im not saying JAX is broken im just saying some stuffs of him are wierd and (at least in my eyes) not intended to like the 42% mid screen or his dash punch pushback beeing inconsistent , sometimes hes right infront of ya for a low jab but sometimes hes 2 characters away.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
While i am by no means a godlike Kano player, i find Jax to be difficult to zone and even harder to play footsies with. His corner game is nutty. His f212 string beats out a lot of moves, advances him forward, can blow up nuetral jumps, and is basically a pain in the ass.
Dont be neutral jumping then lol

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
FYI im not saying JAX is broken im just saying some stuffs of him are wierd and (at least in my eyes) not intended to like the 42% mid screen or his dash punch pushback beeing inconsistent , sometimes hes right infront of ya for a low jab but sometimes hes 2 characters away.
if you block the normal dash punch standing it'll leave you a character length away but if you block it ducking it'll leave him right in your face. This also goes for many moves in this game.

Last edited:
To master Jax you have to be a great player like Tyrant or CDjr, you can't pick up Jax hit his mid screen combos and win. So you really think Jax is anywhere near as great as Kung jin, Cassie, Subzero, Quan chi or Kung lao? Kung jin gets 35% and 42% mid screen meter less and have so many great pokes and great range, but Jax is too safe, Nice joke.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Someone needs to derail this thread hardcore so it gets locked
I main Quan chi and can fullscreen punish it with a ground blast or a portal grab if I duck but my other characters like Sonya, Kung jin and Biggie/Smalls (lackey) can't punish him fullscreen D:

Wait you main Quan and kung and have the nerve to make a thread bitching about Jax. That shit is cold playa....

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
You can low poke under energy wave. His 1 is actually 6 frames now. His OH punch is very unsafe, He gets no damage mid screen without a bar. You need to do MB OH punch to get the combo. And its not the easiest combo to do. His corner game is really good though. Also his Gotcha grab is -9 in pumpe up variation

Decay

King of the Bill
Don't forget the overhead dash punch midscreen can't be comboed from easily, even if you spend a meter, it is still tight timing with a run cancel to pick up the combo. Sometimes it's worth getting hit with the overhead mid screen while trying to bait the energy wave for a full combo punish. However, once you're in the corner is ggs.
I play jax and I just recently got eliminated from tournament by jax (Jupiter, cdjr) while using kano. So, I know the jax strategies, but he's still just very strong of a character.

Jax is not to safe. Kung jin is to safe, his ex wakeup is op can do it over and over. Kung jin braindead crazy mid screen combos that you can get off with no work. Tyrant knows this match up and forever king don't know it as well he still beat him with little work. So how is jax to safe?

if you block the normal dash punch standing it'll leave you a character length away but if you block it ducking it'll leave him right in your face. This also goes for many moves in this game.
I know that u can neutral duck the dash punch for full combo punish if u guess the 50/50 right but check it out for ur self standing blocking doesnt always leave him standing 1 character lenght away, if the dash punch is done form MID distance
the push back is about 1,5 character lenght making all d4s whiff

Someone needs to derail this thread hardcore so it gets locked

Wait you main Quan and kung and have the nerve to make a thread bitching about Jax. That shit is cold playa....
First of all Kung jin isnt Op all of hes specials in Bojitsu (except hes bf4 ) are full combo punishable some even When MB. Bf4 is can interrupted with a d1 and can be backdashed. Quan Cheese with hes batman Is indeed something else but i only play Warlock the only variation with a good Wakeup but which will whiff if the opponent is right in ur face and thats exactly how jax is intended to be palyed.

Last edited:
Jax is not to safe. Kung jin is to safe, his ex wakeup is op can do it over and over. Kung jin braindead crazy mid screen combos that you can get off with no work. Tyrant knows this match up and forever king don't know it as well he still beat him with little work. So how is jax to safe?
Kung jin "OP" wakeup can be Crossover jumped just like GORO's Punchwalk ive did it many times against kung jin players and saw some few do it against me.