What's new

General/Other - Jax Jax General Discussion

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
FYI, you can now connect the f21 of Jax's BnB with the B3 and 123 starters. This was impossible before. 123xxDDP RC f21, 11, f21xxgotcha does 41%, while starting with B3 will give you 40%. This is some pretty nice stuff.

Now for the bad news that nobody has commented on. Gotcha grab has been nerfed. In HW and Wrestler, it now has a 9 frame start up, both regular and EX. In Pumped Up, Super Gotcha has an 11 frame start up, although EX Super Gotcha retains its 7 frame start up. I have no idea why they would implement this nerf.

Let me know if you guys find any other changes to Jax's frames. I examined the movelist, but there is only so much I can do by memory.

SamZ

Noob
THANK YOU NRS! Before I was getting the midscreens like 3/10 now 9/10. Anyone know what they changed?

It wont get touched people seem to think this character is some kind of hidden top 5 character that nobody is good enough to play and only a messiah can come save us and show us the way of Jax. But all the people who play Jax know he is riddled with these little problems that add up to a big problem with how the character is meant to be played.

I love how this character is designed to make reads and play a solid neutral but atm we are rewarded with a coinflip when we are right and it ruins this character for me so much.
I can indeed confirm that Jax's midscreens have been hotfixed.

Not only do they work, they work better than ever. I am able to hit the f21 off of 123 and b3 starters now. What was once a nerf has turned into a significant buff.
@Undeadjim toldya

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
I'm so happy man I thought we were just forgotten but we were saved.

P.S His max damage corner stuff got easier as well. After a overhead dash in the corner you can do the full midscreen convert of F21 11 F212 124 timing isn't to bad but this was incredibly inconsistent prepatch to the point I never did now its 100%.

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
FYI, you can now connect the f21 of Jax's BnB with the B3 and 123 starters. This was impossible before. 123xxDDP RC f21, 11, f21xxgotcha does 41%, while starting with B3 will give you 40%. This is some pretty nice stuff.

Now for the bad news that nobody has commented on. Gotcha grab has been nerfed. In HW and Wrestler, it now has a 9 frame start up, both regular and EX. In Pumped Up, Super Gotcha has an 11 frame start up, although EX Super Gotcha retains its 7 frame start up. I have no idea why they would implement this nerf.

Let me know if you guys find any other changes to Jax's frames. I examined the movelist, but there is only so much I can do by memory.
I'm not home right nOw. But surely this isn't real life? Why would they slow the grab down. It just makes his gaps even bigger. Well someone else confirm this for me?

Yes, let's hope, people don't cry, they were crying about how OP Jax is even before the patch, I think he's perfect now.. altough ... I would love a B2 cancel :p

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Yes, let's hope, people don't cry, they were crying about how OP Jax is even before the patch, I think he's perfect now.. altough ... I would love a B2 cancel :p
This is my concern. They already nerfed his gotcha grab for who knows what the fuck reason.

Nothing about Jax seems unfair at this point, to me. In order to perform his midscreens, you need to connect on a -17 on block move that takes a bar of meter, and while the link is much more consistent, it is still one of the more difficult combos in the game.

Honestly, I think he is one of the few characters in this game that manages to be good while also being fair.

Quan Chi gives us hope, while Kitana and Kano give us a reason to fear for our futures. Who the fuck knows.

Last edited:

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Look at the frame data. Previously, Gotcha Grab and EX Gotcha Grab were 7 startup frames. Now, they are 9. Super Gotcha was 9 frames, now it is 11. Ex Super Gotcha is the only one to remain untouched at 7 frames.
That's because Pumped Up's Gotcha is different than the other one. It's not a nerf, it's just a straight up different move altogether.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
That's because Pumped Up's Gotcha is different than the other one. It's not a nerf, it's just a straight up different move altogether.
You misunderstand. All of the Gotcha Grabs have had their start up increased by 2 frames, with the exception of Pumped Up's ex grab.

HW and Wrestler Gotcha and ex Gotcha both used to be 7 frames. Now, both are 9. Pumped Up Gotcha used to be 9 frames, and is now 11. Ex Pumped Up Gotcha is and always has been 7.

Does anybody have any records or screen shots of the old frame data? This discussion is deteriorating into he said she said.

NurzBenny

Old Member
Patch saved our character. I knew for damn sure it wasn't my execution all these months. But practicing probably the hardest mid screen combo in the game that even with perfect conditions wasn't always guaranteed to hit all this time has made hitting it in pressure situations all the more easy and satisfying now. Almost feels like we jumped up a tier just from having a consistent mid screen BNB now.

NurzBenny

Old Member
Also that gotcha nerf is barely noticeable, stinks but we'll live. Pumped up gotcha still has to be way more negative right? I can live with 9 frame start up (some characters didn't even have pokes that fast before never mind special moves) as long as wrestler and heavy weapons aren't pumped up negative. I'm greedy, I want the minus 4, not 8

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Patch saved our character. I knew for damn sure it wasn't my execution all these months. But practicing probably the hardest mid screen combo in the game that even with perfect conditions wasn't always guaranteed to hit all this time has made hitting it in pressure situations all the more easy and satisfying now. Almost feels like we jumped up a tier just from having a consistent mid screen BNB now.
Yes. That and we can combo off of our low starter and 123 now. It essentially adds two 40+ combos to Jax's reportoit.

As for the Gotcha, no, not a huge deal. I play Pumped Up, so I was able to keep my 7 frame armored reversal which does 22% damage, so I'm happy :)

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
Not sure if this is new or not, I just tested it but haven't seen any posts about this tech... For HW Jax can cancel standing 4 into LAW on block and run cancel into a true block string. His 123 or 11 pressure is guaranteed and he pretty much gets a free b3 if he wants it. B3 beats out Scrub 0s slide. Standing 3 xx LAW seems positive on block as well.

Might not be new, I never tested these strings prepatch

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Not sure if this is new or not, I just tested it but haven't seen any posts about this tech... For HW Jax can cancel standing 4 into LAW on block and run cancel into a true block string. His 123 or 11 pressure is guaranteed and he pretty much gets a free b3 if he wants it. B3 beats out Scrub 0s slide. Standing 3 xx LAW seems positive on block as well.

Might not be new, I never tested these strings prepatch
It can be useful. I Kinda knew about it but It good someone posted about it. The same is for Marksman Erron Black's Cancels. Which is why i figured Jax had the same thing

Undeadjim

Green Lantern Corps.
It is good but it doesn't really add to his game much the problem is if your going to go for the stand 4 being a high if you think there going to sit there and block you may as well go overhead or low however because the jail is there if they don't know you can get some good mileage out of it. It also jails completely into plasma for you guys who who use PU and Wrestler.