What's new

Question - Impostor Is Imposter Shinnok braindead?

Is Imposter Shinnok braindead?

• Total voters

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
I have a lot of trouble fighting Impostor online with SZ... it's mostly due to me not being able to react properly to the tricky portal setups.
As for the character being braindead, well lemme put it this way he's not as braindead as BS.

Bineshaper is stupid, imposter is fine, and necromancer is a mystery.

Boneshaper will be ok when these things happen (in my opinion)

Nerf his d1 to at least 8f on start up. He doesn't need a 6f d1 with a 7f low combo starter.

Make his gun (Boneshaper) at least minus 7/8 on block

Reasonable nerfs that won't kill him imo. Everything else is fine.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
When responding to the OP, you didn't direct your blind bandwagon comment to anyone, so that was just to clarify that the guy starting the thread isn't someone who just accepted that Shinnok as a whole is braindead because the forum said so.
Ah ok I get you. As an Impostor main I'm sure ArmedCalf has labbed him so I'm hoping he realises I'm not referring to him but to some of the comments before mine :)

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I don't know enough to make a reasonably sound judgment on the matter...

...is what more than half the posters in this thread should have said - IMO.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Bineshaper is stupid, imposter is fine, and necromancer is a mystery.

Boneshaper will be ok when these things happen (in my opinion)

Nerf his d1 to at least 8f on start up. He doesn't need a 6f d1 with a 7f low combo starter.

Make his gun (Boneshaper) at least minus 7/8 on block

Reasonable nerfs that won't kill him imo. Everything else is fine.
Stop suggesting universal nerfs that hurt his other variations way way more than boneshaper when boneshapers projectile is clearly the issue.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I don't think Impostor is braindead TBH. You have to be intelligent by using your stolen moves and I'm sure some of them are completely useless, like Impostor stealing Jacqui's BF2 (lol) so you have to find a way to get rid of it or use it some way or another. Also his IA tele isn't that easy to perform I guess.
It's a very good variation but nowhere near as Bone Shaper braindead.

JesterSMX

It's too laggy to poke...
I think it's weird that Imposter mains seem to be the only people that know how he can be beaten. The ego's in the NRS scene have led people to believe that if they lose, the game or character they lost to is broken because they're too "God Like" for such a thing to ever happen. Imposter is good but he's not broken of braindead. Watch ArmedCalf's WNF grand finals against Wonder Chef and tell me he's braindead.

Also,

b3... punishable
non MB Hellspark... punishable
1123... gap in between 23 to armor
f+224 MB Hellspark pressure... armor after MB Hellspark
teleport... at the very least d2 (MK1 tech)

Hopefully this will free my inbox from future hate mail.

Last edited:
Stop suggesting universal nerfs that hurt his other variations way way more than boneshaper when boneshapers projectile is clearly the issue.
Yea i agree to an extent...but i still have this question

So you're saying that nerfing his d1 to 7/8f of start up would be an "issue"? When the only other nerf i said was about Boneshaper?

JesterSMX

Imposter almost needs a 6f d1 to poke out of pressure. His armor shoulder charge isn't the greatest and it's fully punishable. In my humble opinion I suggest nerfing f4 to 8/9f. Imposter doesn't depend on f4 for guaranteed pressure so this will make boneshaper less rinse and repeat while not taking away a vital part of Imposter's game.

I think it's weird that Imposter mains seem to be the only people that know how he can be beaten. The ego's in the NRS scene have led people to believe that if they lose, the game or character they lost to is broken because they're too "God Like" for such a thing to ever happen. Imposter is good but he's not broken of braindead. Watch ArmedCalf's WNF grand finals against Wonder Chef and tell me he's braindead.

Also,

b3... punishable
non MB Hellspark... punishable
1123... gap in between 23 to armor
f+224 MB Hellspark pressure... armor after MB Hellspark
teleport... at the very least d2 (MK1 tech)

Hopefully this will free my inbox from future hate mail.
Hmm i didn't know that these things that you listed are the issues to other players lol.

Real issues;
Boneshaper gun should be more negative on block. I say minus 7/8 but I'd settle more minus 6.

I would say his d1 should be different too but i guess that would probably be an issue to u as well right?

Imposter almost needs a 6f d1 to poke out of pressure. His armor shoulder charge isn't the greatest and it's fully punishable. In my humble opinion I suggest nerfing f4 to 8/9f. Imposter doesn't depend on f4 for guaranteed pressure so this will make boneshaper less rinse and repeat while not taking away a vital part of Imposter's game.
What is his d1 on block?

JesterSMX

I'm writing in generalizations not aimed at anyone specific. I agree with ending boneshaper's guaranteed setups. Nerfing his gun and f4 should do it. In my play experience, his d1 is the main thing that saves him from block infinites. His d4 is awesome but it has to be used at the right range and its 11f.

I'm writing in generalizations not aimed at anyone specific. I agree with ending boneshaper's guaranteed setups. Nerfing his gun and f4 should do it. In my play experience, his d1 is the main thing that saves him from block infinites. His d4 is awesome but it has to be used at the right range and its 11f.
What is his d4 on block?

ATIWAB

Noob
I don't think it's fair to call him "braindead," he's not Bojutsu KJ or anything, but he's not the hardest character variation in the game to pick up and play either. Really maximizing the effects of the stuff you steal takes a bit of time in the lab and that's where I feel like the good Imp Shinnoks really shine compared to the average ones who are only getting the benefit of Tele.

Most people complaining about boneshaper don't do those things either. Out of every tournament set I played at EGL, B3 was punished twice in total.
It's a shame really, gaps I can understand to a degree as BS dark beam gets rid of them, but not punishing B3 is like not punishing Quan for B324, you give your opponent safe 50/50s when they shouldn't have them and they walk all over you.
IMO Hes f3 animation needs to be changed
Maybe its just me but..I know b3 is punishable but hes f3 looks almost identical, there is some little difference btw them but in the heat of a battle ive never been able to tell the difference. I have some pretty gud Shinnok players on my List and some of them use f3 as a Punish bait and many times I tried to punish B3 thinking it was the overhead with 12 OH Dashfist ,I would eat a full combo into guaranteed vortex unfortunately as Jax i cannot hitconfirm 12 or 23 into OH dashpunch due to some wonky inputs ( OH dashpunch needs different timing on pressing Down with starters like f21 or 123 where The OH dashPunch will only come out when u delay the Down input, while u need to dail it in with starters like 12 or 11) unless i play HW.

SOOOOO becuz of this conditioning i really never try to punish it with anything other than a jab into pressure.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
Yea i agree to an extent...but i still have this question

So you're saying that nerfing his d1 to 7/8f of start up would be an "issue"? When the only other nerf i said was about Boneshaper?
I do think slowing down his d1 would be a big issue in imposter and necromancer cause I believe they should have a 6/7 frame poke that can be safe without MB. And a -7/8 projectile on block sounds like the exact nerf he needs (would be nice if they made bf1 the same disadvantage in the other variations as well)

ArmedCalf

I guess I play Necromancer now.. PSN: ArmedCalf
I appreciate the input folks, yeah you really have to go in and find out what combos you're gonna do and what conversions you can pull off. It makes every match exciting I find.

omooba

fear the moobs
If you think Impostor is braindead, or at least as half as braindead as Bone Shaper, you're living proof of the theory that this community don't bother labbing a character before coming to a conclusion and just parrots what everyone else says.

In other words, no.
considering that almost no one has every said in this forum that imposter is braindead ur comment is false

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
considering that almost no one has every said in this forum that imposter is braindead ur comment is false
And you have just proved my point because there are several people, never mind in the forum but in this very thread, that have said he is.