What's new

Idea for variations in future NRS games

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
If it would benefit them it would only be a slight benefit. Not necessarily enough for them to need to be nerfed. You haven't acknowledged my disputes of your argument but you're still saying the same thing. I asked for people's opinions so I could either debate with them or agree with them. You're saying they would benefit hugely from it but you haven't said why. I'm asking you to back up your opinions against my criticism. I've backed up mine so far, and if I stop being able to do that then I'll admit that I'm either wrong or I'm no longer sure. Again though, even if they did hugely benefit those characters, that would just change how they would need to be nerfed, so even THEN it could still easily work for MKX. That's beside the point though because I'm not asking for this change to be made to MKX. That would be ridiculous.
Ok this is the last post I'll put in this thread, I'll try to finish my thoughts for you.
Here is who it would benefit and why:
Quan: warlock gives him an 11 frame armored reversal and wake up in case summoner or sorcerer gets cornered.
Takeda: ronin can give SR better armor, SR will give ronin better space control.
Kotal: War God gives him armor, blood gives defense, sun gets tick throws
Sonya: covert for mix ups, demo for a better wake up, damage, and good setups, SF for zoning
Those characters who are already good, Quan being top tier don't need this. It does nothing for MKX but make those characters better for no reason. Those reasons above are why those characters would benifit more than slightly, and become stupid. All of your points you've backed up have been nonsensical and all theory without discussing specifics of these characters. Peace out.

Goat-City

Banned
Ok this is the last post I'll put in this thread, I'll try to finish my thoughts for you.
Here is who it would benefit and why:
Quan: warlock gives him an 11 frame armored reversal and wake up in case summoner or sorcerer gets cornered.
Takeda: ronin can give SR better armor, SR will give ronin better space control.
Kotal: War God gives him armor, blood gives defense, sun gets tick throws
Sonya: covert for mix ups, demo for a better wake up, damage, and good setups, SF for zoning
Those characters who are already good, Quan being top tier don't need this. It does nothing for MKX but make those characters better for no reason. Those reasons above are why those characters would benifit more than slightly, and become stupid. All of your points you've backed up have been nonsensical and all theory without discussing specifics of these characters. Peace out.
And I already addressed all of that in previous posts. If you think my points were nonsensical you should be able to tell me why, but so far all you've done is ignore them and continue to state the same thing ad nauseam.

And I already addressed all of that in previous posts. If you think my points were nonsensical you should be able to tell me why, but so far all you've done is ignore them and continue to state the same thing ad nauseam.
I understand his point but not yours he said it wouldn't help a lot of characters and even gave the list of those it would help can you give 5 other characters who would benefit from it?

Goat-City

Banned
I understand his point but not yours he said it wouldn't help a lot of characters and even gave the list of those it would help can you give 5 other characters who would benefit from it?
Here's a quote where I explain how it helps pretty much all characters in the game after he asked me a similar question. - "Tournament matches are character and variation locked. If two players pick characters that are a 5-5 match up with each other, then the losing player now has the option to counter pick the winning player. So now the player who won the first match gets counter picked and loses the first round, but now that same player who lost the first round can spend a bar to reverse the counter pick or at least switch to a variation that goes 5-5 again with their opponent's character. It would be a great option for any character in the game, not just Quan. It would not make Quan Chi much better, if at all. The Quan Chi player would have to lose an entire round in order to counter pick, so if the other player lost the second round due to that counter pick, then they now have the option to counter pick the Quan player. If the non-Quan Chi player wins then the match is over and the Quan player has no option to counter pick again, so the player who wins the first round always has the advantage. Quan Chi needs to be nerfed anyway. Whether or not you can switch variations between rounds doesn't change that fact."

With that said, here's my idea for how they should be done in the future -- if you lose a round, you should have the option to spend a bar of meter to switch to a different variation before the start of the next round.
How do you take away a bar from someone before the match starts? Expecting them to use a meter after they switch, and then to start the match from there is just impossible to do while keeping it fair. They would have to use a meter move before anyone hits anyone. That makes the starting point of the round less fair, as there would be no real official starting point. You're basically asking NRS to program a tournament-specific type of round starting loophole that they just won't do. They don't even have a tournament mode where controllers that try to connect mid-match don't stop the game. There have been a lot of rounds ruined by having no tournament mode.

Here's a quote where I explain how it helps pretty much all characters in the game after he asked me a similar question. - "Tournament matches are character and variation locked. If two players pick characters that are a 5-5 match up with each other, then the losing player now has the option to counter pick the winning player. So now the player who won the first match gets counter picked and loses the first round, but now that same player who lost the first round can spend a bar to reverse the counter pick or at least switch to a variation that goes 5-5 again with their opponent's character. It would be a great option for any character in the game, not just Quan. It would not make Quan Chi much better, if at all. The Quan Chi player would have to lose an entire round in order to counter pick, so if the other player lost the second round due to that counter pick, then they now have the option to counter pick the Quan player. If the non-Quan Chi player wins then the match is over and the Quan player has no option to counter pick again, so the player who wins the first round always has the advantage. Quan Chi needs to be nerfed anyway. Whether or not you can switch variations between rounds doesn't change that fact."
Again it doesn t counter what he said If I m Tempest lao and my opponent is crystalline tremor and beat me why should I spend a bar to change variation when I m using my best one that cover all my match ups ? It s the same with kobu Tanya and a lot of characters.

Goat-City

Banned
Again it doesn t counter what he said If I m Tempest lao and my opponent is crystalline tremor and beat me why should I spend a bar to change variation when I m using my best one that cover all my match ups ? It s the same with kobu Tanya and a lot of characters.
You wouldn't in that match up. Tempest Lao is a different story. Tempest is a variation. I never said all variations would be able to benefit from it, but most characters should have at least one variation where they can be put into a losing match up via a counter pick. So if you decided to pick Hat Trick Lao, won, and then got counter picked by a Crystalline Tremor, you could spend a bar of meter to switch to Tempest Lao if you lose a round.

You wouldn't in that match up. Tempest Lao is a different story. Tempest is a variation. I never said all variations would be able to benefit from, but most characters should have at least one variation where they can be put into a losing match up via a counter pick. So if you decided to pick Hat Trick Lao, won, and then got counter picked by a Crystalline Tremor, you could spend a bar of meter to switch to Tempest Lao if you lose a round.
Is point is that most characters don t have a second variation them can use to counter pick

Goat-City

Banned
Is point is that most characters don t have a second variation them can use to counter pick
They don't need to be able to counter pick other characters as long as they're able to save themselves from being counter picked, or vice versa. If someone picks HQT Predator on Sub Zero, switch to Cryomancer or Unbreakable once it becomes viable. Or if you're using Bone Shaper Shinnok and your opponent picks Quan Chi, you can switch to Imposter for the vortex. And even if they can't do any of those things, that would just mean they might need to be buffed or changed to compensate. The bottom line is that you have to spend a bar of meter and you have to LOSE a round in order to use the feature. Dankster understands this but still thinks it would somehow make Quan Chi a lot better than he already is, which makes no sense whatsoever. The point is not being able to counter pick people, but having a counter for being counter picked. It would not change the balance of the game practically at all, it's just an extra option that a player can use if he prefers to.

Goat-City

Banned
How do you take away a bar from someone before the match starts? Expecting them to use a meter after they switch, and then to start the match from there is just impossible to do while keeping it fair. They would have to use a meter move before anyone hits anyone. That makes the starting point of the round less fair, as there would be no real official starting point. You're basically asking NRS to program a tournament-specific type of round starting loophole that they just won't do. They don't even have a tournament mode where controllers that try to connect mid-match don't stop the game. There have been a lot of rounds ruined by having no tournament mode.
You know the animations the characters do when a round ends? During that time, imagine an interface coming up showing your character's variations like they do at the character select screen with the circles and the names under them. You'd have a 3-5 second time window to pick one of them. If you pick a different variation than the one you're using you instantly lose a bar of meter and your character switches to that variation. It would not be tournament specific, it would be in the entire game as a mechanic.

They don't need to be able to counter pick other characters as long as they're able to save themselves from being counter picked, or vice versa. If someone picks HQT Predator on Sub Zero, switch to Cryomancer or Unbreakable once it becomes viable. Or if you're using Bone Shaper Shinnok and your opponent picks Quan Chi, you can switch to Imposter for the vortex. And even if they can't do any of those things, that would just mean they might need to be buffed or changed to compensate. The bottom line is that you have to spend a bar of meter and you have to LOSE a round in order to use the feature. Dankster understands this but still thinks it would somehow make Quan Chi a lot better than he already is, which makes no sense whatsoever. The point is not being able to counter pick people, but having a counter for being counter picked. It would not change the balance of the game practically at all, it's just an extra option that a player can use if he prefers to.
OK I think I get it better but doesn t it make it unfair for the person who lost a game and switched character

variations are bad for this game. dont touch that, dont touch this, it will hurt that variation and the other one ,etc...

Variations are good for 1 game, but for MK11 they should just do no variations, but get a bigger roster, and work on balancing.
exactly dumb the variation system and work on balancing and bigger roster (there is no need to be an innovation in every aspect of the game)

if they went by normal system instead of variation most people would be much more happier [better balancing and a bit bigger roster]

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
He has to spend a bar of meter though, so it's fair, and if the opponent loses then he has the option to counter pick him back. It's balanced that way. Counter picking would still exist, if not be even more prevalent. The only difference is that the variation system could make it more fair by giving both players the option to do it for a cost.
It really would benefit Quan more than anyone else, and that's a bad thing. Kick his ass round one, leave him in the corner - he can swap to Warlock and now armour out. Maybe that's what you intend for the feature. But maybe that's more a problem with Quan, and I know you said its for future games, but it sort of highlights why it would be a bad mechanic from design perspective

Goat-City

Banned
It really would benefit Quan more than anyone else, and that's a bad thing. Kick his ass round one, leave him in the corner - he can swap to Warlock and now armour out. Maybe that's what you intend for the feature. But maybe that's more a problem with Quan, and I know you said its for future games, but it sort of highlights why it would be a bad mechanic from design perspective
If the Quan player has to lose a round in order to switch to Warlock then I do not see how that matters. So what if he has armor now? He's no longer in the Summoner variation and he essentially just lost a round. Now he's spent a bar to go to a worse variation. If the Summoner player could win the round and switch to Warlock still, that would be ridiculous, but since it's essential that he loses in order for him to switch, it makes no difference. It's the equivalent of somebody picking Warlock to begin with and losing the round while ending up in the corner. It's the exact same result except you end up with one less bar of meter in a variation that's more dependent on it than the other 2. The only way it would give the Quan player an advantage after losing is if Warlock was a counter pick to whatever character they were using, but if that's the case then the opponent can simply counter pick them back if they lose a round. Besides, Warlock would not do any better in most match ups than Summoner would.

Last edited:

God Confirm

Hmmm I see your point, so it's intended to break winning momentum? Might actually be an alright idea. Except for your last sentence.
Besides, Warlock would not do any better in most match ups than Summoner would.
Put me in the corner against anyone at the end of the round as Summoner, and I guarantee you I'm switching to Warlock. Maybe it's not such a bad thing tho as you said, you're already down a round. However after 1/1 rounds I think it should revert back to the original variation without choice, seems fairer

Goat-City

Banned
Hmmm I see your point, so it's intended to break winning momentum? Might actually be an alright idea. Except for your last sentence.

Put me in the corner against anyone at the end of the round as Summoner, and I guarantee you I'm switching to Warlock. Maybe it's not such a bad thing tho as you said, you're already down a round. However after 1/1 rounds I think it should revert back to the original variation without choice, seems fairer
I typed that in the context of the sentence right before it. I was saying it would only be advantageous if Warlock was a counter pick, but then I followed that up by saying that would be unlikely since Warlock wouldn't usually be better in a match up than Summoner would. I agree that it would be a good idea to switch to Warlock if you were in the corner.

I'm confused by what you mean when you say after 1/1 rounds it should revert back to the original variation. Could you clarify what you mean by 1/1 rounds? I have an idea but before I respond I wanna make sure I understand what you're saying.

God Confirm

I typed that in the context of the sentence right before it. I was saying it would only be advantageous if Warlock was a counter pick, but then I followed that up by saying that would be unlikely since Warlock wouldn't usually be better in a match up than Summoner would. I agree that it would be a good idea to switch to Warlock if you were in the corner.

I'm confused by what you mean when you say after 1/1 rounds it should revert back to the original variation. Could you clarify what you mean by 1/1 rounds? I have an idea but before I respond I wanna make sure I understand what you're saying.
I mean if the idea is to break player momentum, after you lose first round, win second round with a variation swap, it's 1/1, and I think now that it's even in score AND you have position from winning your last round, that you should revert back. What do you think of it?

Goat-City

Banned
I mean if the idea is to break player momentum, after you lose first round, win second round with a variation swap, it's 1/1, and I think now that it's even in score AND you have position from winning your last round, that you should revert back. What do you think of it?
Ok I see now. The idea isn't necessarily to break player momentum, it's mainly to balance counter picks after a lost match. If a player wins a match and gets counter picked due to being character and variation locked, then he can have the option to make the match up more even or even in his favor at the expense of a bar. You wouldn't always do it of course. There would be a lot of variables to help both players determine whether or not they should spend the bar to switch after a lost round. But if they were to both go back to their initial variations after being tied 1 to 1 in a match, I think it would defeat the purpose of the mechanic.

Let's say a player gets counter picked and the match up is 7-3 in his opponent's favor. He'll most likely lose the first round and obviously decide to spend a bar to switch to a 5-5 match up and he wins the next round. The other player doesn't switch because he has no other variation that handles the match up better than his current one. Now it resets like you said because it's 1 to 1 and the original player who spent the bar to switch variations is now fucked over into the same terrible match up again after wasting an entire bar to win an arbitrary round that means nothing if he can't win a second round. So knowing this from the start, he never would've spent the bar to begin with and the feature would've been useless.

Last edited:
..Or just combine every variation into one character and use the Stance button to switch between "modes". For example, Scorpion will have his swords, the skull on his waste and the flame aura on his arms as his basic design.. so he can use the swords for footies, and by pressing the stance button, you can either use the Minions or Flame Aura.

Trauma_and_Pain

Filthy Casual
I think this is one of those concepts that sounds neat in somebody's head, but in practice it's just gimmicky.

I would much rather prefer tag-team be a thing again like it was in MK9. The loss of that was the single biggest downside to MKX. Nobody locally can compete with me because they don't take the game at all seriously like I do, but at least if we team up against the AI we can still have fun.

Even Skullgirls has an interesting thing going on where you can choose to have more players on a tag team, but the more players you have, the weaker they all are.

VOR

Noob
The variation system completely misses the mark for me. It has just created unnecessary work for the developers as i suspected, many variations are just not that good/useless. Focus on a bigger roster, balance, and more stages.