What's new

I think Uncharted 4 is one of the greatest games ever made

Snoop88

Noob
I'm in the middle of the game and to be honest it's a really good game.. but one of the best of all time? No. Graphics are unreal, no doubt about that. But overall game mechanics didn't changed much and plot is solid but nothing spectacular(maybe at the end it will change). Just another uncharted game, same good old stuff but on new generation of consoles.

U2 should be considered as one of the best.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Just finished it and it replaced Uncharted 2 as my favorite game. Drake, Elena, and Sully are at their bests in this one. Sam was a great addition to the game. Rafe and Nadine are easily the best villians which fills 2's only weekness since Lazerevic was not very interesting. Perfect pacing too, right when you start to get sick of something it changes to something else.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
Just finished it and it replaced Uncharted 2 as my favorite game. Drake, Elena, and Sully are at their bests in this one. Sam was a great addition to the game. Rafe and Nadine are easily the best villians which fills 2's only weekness since Lazerevic was not very interesting. Perfect pacing too, right when you start to get sick of something it changes to something else.
I honestly wish Nadine and Rafe got more screen time. Rafe's inferiority complex was kind of interesting and Nadine is bae.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
So I went to my friends house and played the whole thing last night (yes 12 hours) switched controllers when I needed a drink break. It has a fantastic ending that caps off the series well. As for the rest of the game it was good but other than a chase scene in Africa nothing really wowed me like the train in uncharted 2. The characters are all well written and the villain is solid but ehh it's not even my favorite Uncharted let alone one of my favorite games ever made

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I honestly wish Nadine and Rafe got more screen time. Rafe's inferiority complex was kind of interesting and Nadine is bae.
Me too, Nadine should have had more time. But the scenes with her were crazy. Rafe's motivations were actually well developed by the end which I thought was better than all the other villians in the series just wanting power. His motivations were all emotional rather than logical which always makes for a more interesting story.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
It's good, but not as good as UC2 or 3.

Too much dumb sh*t is in the game's mechanics to call it better than the first two games.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Rawr. So my thoughts on this game:

Possibly the most epic story I've ever seen told in a videogame. Not just in terms of the plot, but also in the detail of the acting, the small nuances, and the way its all tied together. They really put you inside the story, and Naughty Dog has outdone themselves there.

Game? it's a great game, but I'm not sure if it's the best. This goes back to my feelings about TLOU as well -- no matter how good, how emotional, and how engaging the story is, you also have to rate a game on the gameplay. And gameplay-wise this feels like an 8/10 rather than a 10/10.

That's not a knock on the game, as I had a blast playing it and it's likely the best game of the year so far. But there are so many repetitive elements (jump to a rock ledge that breaks -- again; jump onto a platform that breaks; again; drive across a bridge that breaks, again; boost your partner to have them drop down a ladder -- again; kill the same enemies in the same way, again) that near the end, it just feels like something I want to get through to experience the story. Just like TLOU.

With that said, the game does an excellent job of telling its story (possibly the best ever) and the graphics/art/atmosphere (also probably the best ever). It's a thrill ride and everyone should experience it. But with the gameplay, you know what you're getting, and it doesn't have those next-level moments that really evolve the game and move it along.

Thoughts? I know this is a bit controversial, but that's my honest take.

The Highlander

There can be only one

Possibly the most epic story I've ever seen told in a videogame. Not just in terms of the plot, but also in the detail of the acting, the small nuances, and the way its all tied together. They really put you inside the story, and Naughty Dog has outdone themselves there.

Game? it's a great game, but I'm not sure if it's the best. This goes back to my feelings about TLOU as well -- no matter how good, how emotional, and how engaging the story is, you also have to rate a game on the gameplay. And gameplay-wise this feels like an 8/10 rather than a 10/10.

That's not a knock on the game, as I had a blast playing it and it's likely the best game of the year so far. But there are so many repetitive elements (jump to a rock ledge that breaks -- again; jump onto a platform that breaks; again; drive across a bridge that breaks, again; boost your partner to have them drop down a ladder -- again; kill the same enemies in the same way, again) that near the end, it just feels like something I want to get through to experience the story. Just like TLOU.

With that said, the game does an excellent job of telling its story (possibly the best ever) and the graphics/art/atmosphere (also probably the best ever). It's a thrill ride and everyone should experience it. But with the gameplay, you know what you're getting, and it doesn't have those next-level moments that really evolve the game and move it along.

You know a game's good when 8/10 gameplay is a controversial opinion, lol. I agree, but I will say that they do such a good job at making gunplay feel rewarding, the headshot hit marker, the sounds enemies make, and the impacts all feel really satisfying. The climbing is whatever, but at least they poke fun at it several times in the dialogue.

I do however disagree with TLOU analysis, that to me really is close to being one of the best games ever made, the story and gameplay stand strong. What did you find repetitive about TLOU? Playing it on grounded is absolutely brutal but feels incredibly rewarding.

Goat-City

Banned
I'm not all the way through it but the drama between Elena and Drake seems a bit manufactured, just a nitpick though. A normal person would've just told her about the situation, but regardless you'd also think Elena would be a bit more understanding of the situation. She knows who she married and that treasure hunting is his life, and she knows Nate doesn't have bad intentions. After all they've been through together there should really be no question about the sturdiness of their relationship, but as the player you're supposed to be worried that Elena will divorce him and/or never forgive him. It just seems flimsy.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

You pretty much just described every Uncharted game lol. Fantastic story with decent but unremarkable gameplay.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I've been disappointed by the game. He is godamn nice, amazing to watch but there is nothing new... nothing. The gameplay is still the same, the script is a bit deja vu, in term of action there is nothing new as well. To me it's like the AC feeling : first it's nice and funny, but once you are acostumed to the graphism it's still the same shit over and over and I start to get bored.
Uncharted 1, 2 were great, the 3rd didn't surprise me that much but still good, the 4th gave me pleasure but something new was missing. I'm scared for the next one lol.

The Highlander

There can be only one
I've been disappointed by the game. He is godamn nice, amazing to watch but there is nothing new... nothing. The gameplay is still the same, the script is a bit deja vu, in term of action there is nothing new as well. To me it's like the AC feeling : first it's nice and funny, but once you are acostumed to the graphism it's still the same shit over and over and I start to get bored.
Uncharted 1, 2 were great, the 3rd didn't surprise me that much but still good, the 4th gave me pleasure but something new was missing. I'm scared for the next one lol.
There isn't gonna be a next one, this one rapped it up.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I do however disagree with TLOU analysis, that to me really is close to being one of the best games ever made, the story and gameplay stand strong. What did you find repetitive about TLOU? Playing it on grounded is absolutely brutal but feels incredibly rewarding.
There are some bugs in the stealth/melee in TLOU that make the combat portions a bit of a slog. Especially on higher difficulty levels, enemies will randomly detect you when you should be hidden, or a clicker will suddenly "hear" you out of nowhere when you're moving extremely slowly behind them and ruin your day. Or the human enemies will go on the rampage when they shouldn't be able to see you.

As with UC4, it's still an awesome game overall, and the story is second to none -- but the bugs in the stealth make for a frustrating gameplay experience in a number of cases.

You pretty much just described every Uncharted game lol. Fantastic story with decent but unremarkable gameplay.
I remember really enjoying the gameplay in Uncharted 2. But it's clear they wanted to focus more on story in UC4. It's an interesting tradeoff -- definitely memorable in its own way.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
As a funny aside to this thread, I ran across an article on Uncharted 2 with this screenshot:

The ironic thing about it, is that you could take this EXACT same screenshot in one of the levels of UC4 (I won't spoil it), albeit higher res.

Finally got around to finishing this game. Enjoyable, but definitely not even close to being one of the greatest games ever made. If they trimmed out a lot of the climbing and added another over-the-top set piece of two, then it could come closer to Honor Among Thieves' greatness.