What's new

General/Other - Kotal Kahn I swore I would never do this again...

How do you pick your main?...and be honest!

• Who looks and feels the most badass from the early footage

Votes: 26 47.3%
  • Sound effects are key, which ever character has the best sound is who i main

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • A combination of both of the above

Votes: 17 30.9%
  • I take every character into practice mode and try to find the top tier characters before I decide

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I think I have picked my main before the games launch. Still with characters to be released, I have done it again and know who I am going to pick out the gate.

Other contenders are:

2) Raiden
3) Sub Zero
4) maybe a new character I don't know yet

I have been reading through the forums to make sure I understand what he is about and how he works and theorizing gameplans...What else can we do for the next 2 months right?

As a Sun God, however, Kotal’s offense is mostly derived from the variations unique command grab. Each successful attempt to grab the opponent with this attack adds another hit to the string, capping out at three. Kotal can then use the stored energy to continue dealing bigger damage with the command grab or use it to restore his health, meter, or both resources in one shot, though we assume at smaller amounts.

Questions still unknown:
1) Since throws can be comboed into, does this mean he can combo into his chain throw? If so it may be pretty easy to stack and damage buff on throw can be kept till the end of the match where you can cash it out to time out your opponent.
2) What is "Soul Scorch"? Is this the move that cashes out his throw level for health?
3) Is it possible he still has moves we haven't seen in this variation?
4) Is "Sun God Choke" unblockable? Since all MKX videos have been notorious for not ever using the block button, we don't know if it is yet.
5) Tic Throws? No idea if good, bad, or relevant but I hope they are good if it is unblockable.
6) Is this his only grapple variation? None of the other variations seem to have the same kind of throw.

Kotal’s Blood God variation focuses on his use of three specific totems and the buffs they impart. The first, made of obsidian, lessens the damage he takes from enemy attacks, while the crystal totem is more offensive in nature, imparting a boost to attack power that can be combined with his Blood Offering special (which sacrifices health for a damage bonus) to drop ridiculous amounts of health from an opponent’s life bar. The blood totem is a bit different in that it steals energy from the enemy as Kotal lands attacks, storing it in the small figure and replenishing his life until the ancient fighter himself is hit.

Questions still unknown:
1) Is the sunbeam special unique to this variation? It seems like it would be useful in the Sun God variation and based on the comic, could make sense for all variations.
2) Are there any limitations to the stacking?
3) We have seen a footage where totums are used mid combo. Do all totums have the same frames to be used mid combo. I would assume so but want to be sure.
4) Quan Chi had fairly useless buffs in MK9 that acted similar to this. What has been done to make them viable?

War God fighting style gives the character a Macuahuitl weapon that adds to his special moves. The length of the weapon also gives him considerably more reach. It's assumed that the weapon inflicts more damage than his normal attacks in other styles.

Questions still unknown:
1) Does this equate to a "zoning" stance or is it simply a stance that grants him above average footsies?
2) Have we seen all the specials? It seems like there is much more to be seen with this one specifically.

As of now, the Sun God variation interests me the most.

Other things I have noticed:
1) His walk speed is super fast
2) That AA uppercut launcher mixed with his AA throw look tight. No free jumps here
3) Damage looks huge and that is tight
4) Sound effects are some of the best so far
5) When he has full meter, his xray looks hard to avoid. Watch out for that tracking!

All info taken from http://shoryuken.com/2014/11/05/kotal-kahns-blood-god-totems-quan-chis-sorcerer-spells-in-mortal-kombat-x-explained/
and
http://testyourmight.com/threads/pray-for-the-kahns-mercy-kotal-kahn-general-discussion.43849/

Shaazzyam

undefeated online evo champion
characters who abuse broken mechanics so as to make me seem relevant in the nrs community, where normaly i would never deserve it.

sort of like sinestro/lex mains, i guess.

Immortal

Blind justice....
Nobody knows answers to your questions coz there is no info about it (specific things). Some may know from playing early version of the game but it's likely that frame data changed atleast few times between that time and release.

On the side note if Kenshi isn't in MK X im gonna main Kotal Kahn too. I think hes design is really cool and all variations pretty tight (not sure about the weapon one).

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Who looks and feels the most badass. I knew I'd main Cassie the second I saw her. Tiers are irrelevant to me because I view the game as a casual. As long as they have cool moves and I am having fun, that's all that matters.

Definitely the coolest looking character with the best animations.

Winning 1 out of 10 matches with a shitty (tier wise )character you really like still feels better then winning 10/10 matches with a character you hate.

Unless all the scrubs love playing that character or if everyone ragequits after 1 match (aka Deathstroke).

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
My main will change with potentially every patch. I will choose the best character every time and abuse the shit outta them. I have no shame in tier whoring.

...I'll have pocket characters that be all over the list, depending on how they play/features/tech that they have etc.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
@AK L0rdoftheFLY I know why you picked Kotal Kahn, he reminds you of Nightwolf :p he has that kind of native look to him lol

But he does look cool. I'm sure you'll do well with him.

I like him as a character, gameplay not really my style though.

For now I'll be going with Ermac and Scorpion. From look perspective totally going with these two lol and for zoning.

For newer possibilities I'm considering Raiden(more seriously this time like I did in MK vs DC where his teleport was actually good) so curious about displacer and maybe Reptile's Noxious variation and Kitana's mournful. I don't know yet about Reptile and Kitana though, I didn't use either in MK 9 but considering for my zoning style.

This will change if Fujin is actually playable.

Honestly probably Ermac, Scorp and Fujin. I prefer characters where you can fight people and keep them far. I decide by my favorite characters as well combined with who's fit to my style(this case Ermac and Scorpion) but I like Fujin a lot too, he's just not confirmed yet. I don't whore top tiers for the sake of top tiers.

Last edited:

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
None of the options describe how I pick a main. I tend to pick characters that strengthen my weaknesses as a player. Outside of that, I try to find a character in the lab that has a strong anti air and long reaching/advancing moves early on. Walk speed is also very important. From what I've seen in trailers and streams, Quan Chi, Kano, and maybe Scorpion fit the bill thus far, but I cannot be sure until the full cast is revealed and I actually play the game.

WakeUp DP

GT MK OshTekk.
Who looks and feels the most badass. I knew I'd main Cassie the second I saw her. Tiers are irrelevant to me because I view the game as a casual. As long as they have cool moves and I am having fun, that's all that matters.
I bet you that you are the type of player who bitches about tier whores and blames all your loses to bad MUs lol.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
To answer how I pick my main. I take a handful of characters I like pre-release based on their look, sound, gameplay, lore, etc, and use them first. Then I try out the entire cast. I sometimes find characters that fit me well that I really never imagined maining (Cody in SSF4). But other times, the character(s) I wanted to use pre-release end up being my main (Ares in INJ, Smoke in MK9, Bison in SF4, Hulk/Dante/Sentinel in MvC3).

As for my pre-release mains, right now it's Scorpion, FerraTorr and Goro. I don't like maining popular characters or characters a lot of people use, but Scorpion's gameplay has a lot of UMK3 in it so I'm obligated to use him. FerraTorr and Goro are the only Juggernautish characters (so far) so I'm definitely trying them out. If Tremor and/or Shinnok are in, I'm 100% using them as well.

KK hasn't really interested me, he looks too much like that one character in SFxT. But who knows.