What's new

How would you Rate NRS's testing job on MK 11 scale from 1-10?

How would you RATE NRS's job at testing MK 11 overall scale from 1-10?

Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 1 1.2%

Votes: 12 14.6%

Votes: 15 18.3%

Votes: 9 11.0%

Votes: 8 9.8%

Votes: 6 7.3%

Votes: 16 19.5%

Votes: 3 3.7%

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 2.4%

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Just curious how you'd rate NRS's job testing this game in general. On a scale from 1-10. 1 Being the worst, 10 being the best.

Just curious.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
5/10 .... MK11 was clearly rushed up in order to be released on their schedule goal time objective, and so, this explain why these amount of patches the game received already, and even this way, there are still some bugs and glitches still to be fixed yet, even more on PC version ..... it's very disapointing see this happening on every MK game released since MK9, cause it's the same cycle over and over again repeting itself: the game come out , and in the first 6-9 months of its life span , life cycle, the game has already necessity of half dozen hot fix patches to correct bugs, and a couple of others patches for characters balancing, so, it's a shame .... if NRS and WB were indie developers, could be understandable, but you are talking about a huge respectable developer, and a even more powerful owner publisher and producer behind the things, and big money to build and do all the stuff work out, so, knowing this and seeing the final result so far, you got a feeling of a big let down

MKF30

5/10 .... MK11 was clearly rushed up in order to be released on their schedule goal time objective, and so, this explain why these amount of patches the game received already, and even this way, there are still some bugs and glitches still to be fixed yet, even more on PC version ..... it's very disapointing see this happening on every MK game released since MK9, cause it's the same cycle over and over again repeting itself: the game come out , and in the first 6-9 months of its life span , life cycle, the game has already necessity of half dozen hot fix patches to correct bugs, and a couple of others patches for characters balancing, so, it's a shame .... if NRS and WB were indie developers, could be understandable, but you are talking about a huge respectable developer, and a even more powerful owner publisher and producer behind the things, and big money to build and do all the stuff work out, so, knowing this and seeing the final result so far, you got a feeling of a big let down
Didn't recognize you for a sec with the new avy lol. Yeah the switch version is also a bit glitchy at times, it's slower than the other versions online it's almost like built in lag... on top of normal wifi connections. The sound occasionally goes out on the game from time to time or in and out. But if you're playing locally offline or same room it's smooth as the other versions. I do like the no messaging options though on MK 11 for Switch, in a way because I don't have to hear bitching and hatemail constantly during the week of playing KL like I have to deal with on Xbox.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Idk. Catching everything is not easy. It's tempting to look at a few things and wonder how something slips by. There is so much more going on in making mediocre software than the people making it can even keep up with.

To be running a AAA studio, producing something this big, that's tough stuff. You basically have to be some of the best of the best to even be producing in their arena. I couldn't do it and I say that knowing it's true by struggling in the minor leagues of software.

The dirty not even a secret, secret is that nobody has this thing figured out. It's books and podcast trying to find out how do fix problems at this or that scale. It's going oh, hey guys I just totally noticed production config is pointed at test for something and it's been that way for months.

Hey, that guy just pointed test at prod and our devs are dumping test data into prod. That should never happen. How do we keep that from ever happening? More products to pay for and complex processes to learn which will totally make things easier by making them more complicated.

Hey, who knows how this works? Nobody. It's written in java and we don't have any java people. We are praying it keeps working long enough for us to replace it but we never will cuz budgets and staff and whatnot.

Hey, our users are pissed and what we made them doesn't do what they wanted even though they flat out refused to tell us what they wanted, user test it, or answer basic questions.

Hey, our team and system are so big we basically don't know who is doing what or when things are going out. Which means QA sometimes doesn't test stuff because they didn't see it existed or was connected to something else that already went.

Hey, this thing suddenly stopped working? Why? I don't know? Did we change something? No? Then why? I will look? OK, Google changed.

Hey we underestimated how big of a dick some people are willing to be to get a win, and spending hours not playing is totally worth it some how. Oh F...

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
gave it a 4, it's one thing to miss bugs and shit which does happen, it's another matter when that bug happens to be ridiculously stupid (looking at u kombat league) that ppl have every right to be pissed off and wonder how NRS missed this shit. Of course I could go into hurtboxes and hitboxes being weird tho I think that's more of an inherent flaw on the system they use (it's been noticeable in every NRS game where Mids aren't clearly defined and what should be low profiled and what shouldn't) tho the least they could do is at least define it more clearly so I won't give them that much crap for it

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Based on previous iterations, two of which I was a part of for a week each, 9/10.

NRS has learned a LOT in regards to game balance and what makes a character "viable".

While there is a great divide between, let's say, Erron Black or Sonya, and Shao Kahn and Kano, every character can win. The big factor that comes to mind regarding this is game engine and especially, frame data knowledge. This has actually been true since Injustice 1, which says a lot.

I have to agree with the 4s. The amount of bugs in just the text strings on command lists was embarrassing to look at with all the incorrect brutality descriptions by an almost hilarious margin. UI's are constantly breaking in the main menu, particularly with the news pop-ups (some of which don't even display anything), and of course the infamous Ash Williams fuck up. Several text string bugs on items, custom move descriptions, fucking load screen spelling errors, etc.

For gameplay, d2's hurtbox being taller than its hitbox makes little sense. Krushing Blows are inconsistent in their conditions, and some of the conditions are either nonsensical, do almost nothing for damage or utility, or don't work in situations where they probably should.
Example; New Era Geras' sand trap KB only works on opponents who stand block, but it doesn't work after 11~db1b despite that condition being fulfilled. So it's just a way harder KB to land and does even less damage than IW's version. I simply can't believe someone tested this and decided it makes sense.

Then there's the silly amount of high attacks that whiff on crouch block, or the bizarre insistence that females get to just fall out of stuff because fuck you. If they want us using different combo routes for females then fine, but shit like Raiden b12~Storm Cell not landing correctly or b31~Summoned Lightning whiffing completely on females mid screen has no discernible reason behind it.

Mind, we have no idea what huge shit they did find and fix before we got to play the game, though that doesn't make any of the above acceptable either.

Then of course there was the big leak scandal, which I absolutely guarantee was carried out by a QA employee.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I voted 4, but I did that with the assumption that at least an 8 is expected. If 5 is average across gaming as a whole, I give it a 2

Of course, I am saying this for both quality assurance (krypt, currencies, RNG factors) and gameplay (hitboxes, krushing blow requirements)

In the grand scheme, however, I would rather have the release we did with all the issues and still have the mostly balanced game that we got. That, as opposed to vortexes, fifty-fiftys or sometimes even 25-25-25-25s.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I'll say 6 because the game is above average in terms of balance, nothing really broke compared to other games but this game has more hitbox issues than any previous MK since 2011 which is saying a lot.
Moves wiff on standing and crouch blocking opponents and other moves connect behind them while Flawless Block launchers completely miss and wakeup miss jump INS.
Great game that needs hitboxes fixed and maybe better KB's other than that IRS the most balanced MK I've played this close to release.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
They get a lot of credit for the balance on release, there wasn't anything really broken or gamebreaking and it was pretty well balanced for a game in it's first patch. I'm not sure they realized that Geras could combo from his Big Fist KB but other then that I can't remember anything else that was crazy, just some characters being a bit too good/bad.

Towers of Time and Krypt were the biggest offenders with ridiculous requirements and whatnot. Frost also felt particularly janky on release, and signs point to her being one of the last characters they added. More recently there was the forfeit glitch but not a ton of bugs that I remember.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Just curious how you'd rate NRS's job testing this game in general. On a scale from 1-10. 1 Being the worst, 10 being the best.

Just curious.
All the gitches with KL, the stupid advancing mid 9f launchers on characters who also have godly zoning while the rest of them left in the dirt.
I give them a 5 because I know what a badly tested game is like but it's still no good.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
They get a lot of credit for the balance on release, there wasn't anything really broken or gamebreaking and it was pretty well balanced for a game in it's first patch. I'm not sure they realized that Geras could combo from his Big Fist KB but other then that I can't remember anything else that was crazy, just some characters being a bit too good/bad.
Well-said. Mortal Kombat 11's initial balance was light years ahead of any previous NRS game and even other fighting games. So more people ought to acknowledge the vastly improved balance before voting 4.

On the other hand, the game has some hitbox issues and inconsistencies, and I am not referring to low profiling. I am talking about moves randomly whiffing on standing and crouching characters who are blocking, which even includes a couple of rare scenarios that involve the side of the screen that you are facing. Other fighting games do not have such problems, at least not to this extent.

Strictly speaking about the gameplay, perhaps 7 is a fair score. I know there are additional problems with the online gameplay and Towers of Time.

y0da

Noob
Things like the forfeit glitch or Kollector trade bug should be tested programmatically after each build and before release. Actually you could test e2e everything.

MKF30

Interesting posts. Definitely some good reads here. I think regardless of who voted for what, I do hope NRS guys on here take some feedback from this thread overall.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I gave an 8. Fighting games in general seem pretty hard to test everything out since there's just so many different interactions to test for. They generally avoided anything too broken, and the game was very playable right from day 1.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
I'll hit em with a 7. Netcode is great, the under the hood stuff is generally on point, most of the issues are hitbox problems and move interactions, which can be hard to nail down and have definitely been improved upon since.

Fighting games are hard to test. With the hundreds and hundreds of moves, people say "how could they not have caught this one interaction, bunch of incompetent fucking morons" which is straight ignorant

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator

Just curious.
U cant know what they found bug wise etc before we even got there hands on it at 1st reveal.

Not trying to come across as "stupid question bruh" but imo its not a fair question as not nrs employees on this site dont have all the info to answer a question like that properly

MKF30

U cant know what they found bug wise etc before we even got there hands on it at 1st reveal.

Not trying to come across as "stupid question bruh" but imo its not a fair question as not nrs employees on this site dont have all the info to answer a question like that properly
Well some things are just common sense man lol I mean shit the kombat league glitch a 10 year old can think of having that option to have confirm timer. I'm sorry but stuff like that is inexcusable. The gameplay is debatable, and while nobody is perfect it's no secret the game has issues and feels rushed. Now that may be WBs fault sure but as a loyal consumer giving them my money I think its only fair I get a playable solid product. I dont think its unfair at all. I'm not bashing them for the sake if such, merely asking a fair question from the mkc a d how people feel. As to the results that's out of my control but just something to be considered. All I'm saying. Otherwise with all their respect what's the point of having or hiring testers if they miss something so simplistic?

Trust me I dont hate nrs, I still love mk 9 the most out of all their games and support them overall however that being said I have no problem talking about the flaws as well that simply cant be ignored.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
5-6.

The balance is pretty good, IMO. The thing they whiffed on big upon release was the TOT balance. They fixed it quickly, but it was comically bad on day 1.

Gaxkang

Banned
5/10...all of the gameplay should have been considered more beforehand.

And the way krushing blows were set up, hoo boy...

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
3/10
Game was a mess on release, then went just under 4 months without a major balance patch when the balance was horrible, and even now there are clear developer oversights still in the game. i can still play the game and tell through gameplay alone that characters arent compared when designed/balanced