What's new

How many throws have u teched ON PURPOSE?

How many Throws have u been able to tech ON Purpose

• 80%

• 60%

• 20%

• 5%

• 0%

Results are only viewable after voting.
This is where the Mind games begin, you don't know how someone behaves until you play them yourself, can't be used as a counter excuse.

Tech throws are useless, even if you know the window the chances of you getting one are pretty slim, if you know you will get grabbed try to find the timing for it will only get you thrown anyway, so you're better off ducking which is much faster than teching it out, and leave them open for punish.

Its a hard read
Mindgames and game mechanics are different things.

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
Is it 1 and 2 for forward throw and 3 and for for backyards? I've always teched on accident or is it just normal 1 and 3 for forward and 2 and 4 for backwards I need to know

Lex Luthor II

Lord of Lightning
In Injustice couldnt you hold block [back] and then push Throw to get out of throws? Or am I on drugs and cant remember straight.

oNe87_Kentucky

Hunter, Not hunted.
I never tech throws, if I see it coming I poke or backdash... but this does remind me of the fact that some scrubs will start mashing wakeups as soon as they get hit then when you throw in a combo they tech it. That's sad but hilarious.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
I can honestly say i dont think ive ever teched a throw on purpose in any game ever. Mk9 injustice mkx never on purpose lol

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I'm not a fan of the system, but I see most people want to get rid of the 50/50.I would rather keep it but let the defender tech it whether he was holding block or not.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
But this is where things get ridiculous. You already made a hard read as to when the opponent will throw you, but now you have to guess where they will throw you? Why?
because people like not-War God Kotal would be a lot worse if teching was easy

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
If people were legitimately breaking throws on reaction, then letting go of block wouldn't be an issue. Sounds like everybody is just wanting to option select them by mashing 2 while blocking and never get thrown unless their opponent throws them out of the corner.

I don't think the throw teching mechanic being the way it is is that big of a deal, if throws did 15% into okizeme or gave a combo then I would understand the frustration but they don't give offence and are just a thing to do every now and then for small damage and positioning. Characters without command grabs and 50/50's would have no meaningful offence if they would have to keep throwing away from the corner just to land them at all.

Wrath0594

Steam profile: 76561198102032134
Didn't read all the comments, but I hope no one is still complaining about throws. The difficulty in teching them is actually a boon to lower tier characters without good ways to open people up. It creates a low reward mind game that can force your opponent out of block- pretty essential for the many characters in the game who lack strong mixups.

Didn't read all the comments, but I hope no one is still complaining about throws. The difficulty in teching them is actually a boon to lower tier characters without good ways to open people up. It creates a low reward mind game that can force your opponent out of block- pretty essential for the many characters in the game who lack strong mixups.
Then why in Hells name do the characters with strong 50/50's also have the benifit of a hard to tech throw? IMO This "its meant for lower tiers" would only make sense, if Chars without comboable 50/50's had a different throw in order to compensate their lack and the chars with 50/50's had a easy to tech throw.

Wrath0594

Then why in Hells name do the characters with strong 50/50's also have the benifit of a hard to tech throw? IMO This "its meant for lower tiers" would only make sense, if Chars without comboable 50/50's had a different throw in order to compensate their lack and the chars with 50/50's had a easy to tech throw.
If a character with a strong mixup goes for a throw, that means they went for the lowest risk, lowest reward option. Sure, it's easier for them to land, but the opponent takes minimal damage (way less than they would from a full combo if they guessed wrong) and gets a lot of breathing room.

Generally a character like Kitana or Liu is going to get a lot more mileage out of using throws to compensate for their lack of overheads than someone like Erron or Kung Jin. If one of those 2 throw you, you should count yourself lucky, seeing as even if you guess right on their 50/50, you're still sitting right in their range for another safe 50/50. The same thing applies characters with vortexes like Cass, Quan, or Scorpion- they just let you out of the vortex for free, when they could have tried to make you guess indefinitely- even meterburning when you finally guess right to keep themselves safe.

Aside from that, if you make a hard read on a throw, you can crouch it and let go of block for some good punish options. At the very least, an uppercut for an easy 14%, so they aren't completely riskless.

Wrath0594

What is a little annoying is that certain characters like Cass and Scorp have good enough throws that they can immediately pressure your wakeup afterwards. If they had their frames changed like Sonyas where the throw was truly neutral, it might help balance a little.

But I'm telling you, if they nerfed throws universally like if they made them techable on block- the tiers would remain the same, but the gap between top tier and everything else would get a whole lot wider and no one wants that.

Last edited:
One. Ever.

I thought about making a similar thread that I hoped would not be a discussion. Just a question of peoples' preference...

A simple, Do you think throws should be a 50/50 guess or do you think throw teching should be a static input of 1+3?

I've had this discussion with alot of people and I have never spoken to anyone that liked it as a guess. I didn't read this whole thread, so if there are people who think it's alright at a guess. whatevs.

Decay

King of the Bill
I've teched plenty of throws that are mid combo when they try to reset it on me because I just mash 1 or 2 anyway. But I never tech a throw in the neutral game. I've ducked and punished way more

Espio

Kokomo
I don't try to tech throws, I neutral duck or jump out if I read a throw to blow up for full combo or pressure. You have to let go of block to tech anyway so you might as well go for options that can lead to damage or pressure.

You can probably back dash too, but I'd prefer the other two options cause you get pressure or a combo.

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Almost all of mine. If I see the opponents arms move toward me I either back dash, poke, throw out a standing 1,3 or 4, or a special attack that the would have decent recovery and spacing afterwards. I don't want to get grabbed or hit! I'm the one doing the grabbing and hitting. Same for reversals too. Equally important to learn and and to accomplish at least 5-10 times every match.

Teaching throws takes time to learn. I think the method is for teaching throws is fine.

RM NoBrows

Supah hawt fiyah
The throw system would be completely okay if you only had to press one button. The fact that you gotta guess what direction you're going to to be thrown to tech a grab, is outrageous. It should be one button to tech ALL grabs, not one button for each direction. Grabs are free in this game

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I'll find it difficult to believe any player who says they can consistently tech throws in MKX.

The system is practically a 50/50 built into another 50/50...by which I mean, you not only have to release block to tech a throw, you must also make a correct guess as to which direction the opponent will throw you. If you think they'll do a forward throw, time 2 or 4 against their input; if backwards, use 1 or 3.

But this is where things get ridiculous. You already made a hard read as to when the opponent will throw you, but now you have to guess where they will throw you? Why? One correct guess shouldn't lead to another guessing situation, especially one where you have no way of what is coming. For now, the reasoning will be for you to make the read on their direction depending on your position on the screen, but as the level of play becomes higher they may start fucking with your mind by throwing you away from the corner instead of towards it, as an example.

You could release block and perform a neutral crouch to make the throw whiff, allowing you to score a full punish, but you are risking eating a combo that could lead up to potentially over 30% or 40% just for the chance to escape 12% damage. Not quite as risky if you have a Breaker available, but still...not good odds by any means.

As for the poll, I voted 5%. :(
Li joe techs throws on purpose and consistently. Lol I've never seen anything like it in mkx.

I believe you can hit the right button during the start up animation of the grab similar to games like 3s but don't hold me to that.