What's new

How long are you willing to grind bad MUs?

Are you willing to grind a bad MU?

• Total voters
Me being a character loyalist I love the grind of bad MUs. The reward at the end is great. When I started the long grind to fight Aquaman and Raven, at first it was mind numbing to try to get in on Raven and also trying to open Aquaman up. I would constantly grind and ask questions. Now playing against those characters are fun although very hard and it is now paying off because i actully have answers. So now for me its tuning up my overall play so i can capitalize when i see the oppurtunity.

Shit, ask @MITDJT when we were playing casuals at WCW i requested to play his AM jus so i can grind it more with a different AM player. Btw that set was really fun.
yeah that set was solid and the punishes on trident rush were very interesting, great play #YEEAAPP

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
It depends on what makes the MU bad.

In IGAU, my bad MUs as Grundy i seriously feel helpless because I get shut out in every single way no matter what I do.

In MK9, my bad MUs as Cage I feel that, yeah Kenshi really shuts me out, but there is still a chance I can get him in the corner with no meter and make right reads to avoid his armored moves. Risky business, but I still think its manageable.

coolwhip

Noob
I think it's generally easier to have the motivation to grind out bad match-ups if your characters has great tools (hence my enjoyment of Kung Lao/Batman's bad match-ups). Because you feel even if the match-up is bad, there is still stuff you can do, and the number of bad match-ups itself is not that significant. Now if you play a shitter on the other hand, that requires a special kind of dedication/patience.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I think it's generally easier to have the motivation to grind out bad match-ups if your characters has great tools (hence my enjoyment of Kung Lao/Batman's bad match-ups). Because you feel even if the match-up is bad, there is still stuff you can do, and the number of bad match-ups itself is not that significant. Now if you play a shitter on the other hand, that requires a special kind of dedication/patience.
100% this,

It's easy to grind forever if you have a solid well rounded character with options.

But like you said, if you have a shitter, you are basically a glutton for punishment, and like being salty......... like me and Arrow lol

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I think it all depends on how often the character has the same fundamental problem in their disadvantage matchups. Some people may just mis-approach a matchup but evaluating the 'right' way to play the matchup is a gray area if you don't have a big enough community and/or resources to point out your mistakes in the first place. WoundCowboy was probably the overall best Shang player at the height of MK9's tournament life, but didn't handle some matchups as good as some lesser known Shang players, nor could he have been expected to.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
I kinda agree that if your charcter has good tools it makes it easier to grind. Since i play Superman i know i got the tools. On the other hand, being a player trying to become as good as i can, i dont feel like a switch would benefit me at all. I know im no where near a top Superman player, so the grind isnt just about leaning the MU its also to help improve my fundumentals because i try to play ppl that are solid with their character and that will push me fundamentally.

Also coming up in the community and seeing ppl i enjoy watching like Pig and 16 Bit have the drive to grind until they get it motivated me to stick with it. I wont deny a switch of characters has crossed my mind. Now that i chose to stick with Superman i am happier playing the game then ever.

Koor

Hot Gyahbage
When faced with a bad or seriously hard matchup its Grind Mode Activated. I stick with the character ive decided to main and keep pushing through for as long as it takes. Followed by lots of rolling around on the floor and crying. In that order.

Mst

Noob
If the deciding factor is not that my opponent has to mess up his inputs in order to be capable to win the matchup... then how long it takes to get good.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
Frustration is fuel. My favorite MUs have always been ones I feel im at a disadvantage. For NW, the funnest MUs to me are KF, GL, Sinestro and Zod.

IMakeItL00kC00L

Do not provoke a god
Frustration is fuel. My favorite MUs have always been ones I feel im at a disadvantage. For NW, the funnest MUs to me are KF, GL, Sinestro and Zod.
^this. As a sinestro main, i love playing against aquaman for the sole purpose of that matchup being ass for sinestro

The Highlander

There can be only one
I have a question for those that grind, how do you not tear your hair out? As a fairly competitive person I HATE losing badly as I'm sure most on this website do. I would love to be able to grind out my bad match-ups but my salt often blinds me to common mistakes and I end up regressing into silly dashes and mindless jumps. How do you masochists deal with it?

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I have a question for those that grind, how do you not tear your hair out? As a fairly competitive person I HATE losing badly as I'm sure most on this website do. I would love to be able to grind out my bad match-ups but my salt often blinds me to common mistakes and I end up regressing into silly dashes and mindless jumps. How do you masochists deal with it?

You don't. You do get salty and frustrated. Then you keep grinding because losing isn't an option.

Amplified$hotz

I like Tekken 8
In losing matchups im constantly looking for where i win. Such as joker vs aquaman. When i find where i win i set a goal to get there. In this matchup my goal is to knock him down and corner carry. It's hard but when I'm grinding I'm really trying to find out how to reach that specific goal.

Everlast

KTG | EVERLAST
I think my competitiveness is whatdrives me to continue. I am also humble enough to realize that in the Player vs Player mu it might just be being out played. I love thinking about ways to get around all mus. I also really love being a Superman main and i would not have fun if i played someone else. Now there is a part of me that just accepts having to get whooed coutless times to push through. I have competed all my life from playing video games to Kickboxing, so i guess im just used to struggling to become better so i just put my head down and keep pushing until i get it right.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I think my competitiveness is whatdrives me to continue. I am also humble enough to realize that in the Player vs Player mu it might just be being out played. I love thinking about ways to get around all mus. I also really love being a Superman main and i would not have fun if i played someone else. Now there is a part of me that just accepts having to get whooed coutless times to push through. I have competed all my life from playing video games to Kickboxing, so i guess im just used to struggling to become better so i just put my head down and keep pushing until i get it right.
your sig......it's tugging at muh feels:(