What's new

HMK #21 W/ Phosferrax & PND Mustard

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
@JTB123 Hunter AA's suck ass, average D2 and you're not AA'ing with scimitar unless you like wasting meter on whiffing and getting punished #ThreeNJPsinarow. Also fuck you Jax sucked couldn't combo until the latest patch #Metalarmsfinallyfixxed. And I'm out of ESL this week two top 4's and two top 32's! Consistency is the key boys #NotsaltyatallATALL.

Also my current best player for each character

Jason: UndeadReo
Kung Lao: A Undead Grampa
Jax: Mijdaednu
Sonya: Scarjim
Kenshi: Pig of the Jim
Kitana: Kitana Jim
Scorpion: JimTB123
Sub-Zero: Madjim
Mileena: TheJimStandard
Takeda: Ji9rms
Jacqui Briggs: Jim Xavier
Kung Jin: Jimmer
Predator: Forever Jim
Shinnok: PND Undead MustardJim
Kano: Coach Jim
Johnny Cage: Undead Eddie
Erron Black: Sonic Jim
Liu Kang: XarakamaJim
Ermac: Big Jim
Kotal Kahn: AluJim
Reptile: A Milky Jim
Ferra/Torr: UndeadHazard
D'Vorah: HoneyJim
Raiden: Undeadek
Quan Chi: PND KetchupJim
Goro: DecayingJim
This list is gold

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I'm not sure if making hat spin more minus is the right answer. All of those characters besides Kano that you named, have 50/50s.

With 112124 and B321 there are different options to stagger. Deciding to poke out when he can stop at 1, 11, 11212, or with the other string, B3, or B321, is very problematic. What keeps Kung Lao sort of in check with the B321 string, is that his fastest normal is 8 frames, so I personally view that string as fair. You can armor or backdash through the hat spin, B3 is -3, and B321 is -5.

A couple of potential nerfs, that I don't think would hurt the character too bad, are nerfs to his 112124 string, and F2. Making F2 a high is probably a good idea. It'll still be very useful for punishing and pressuring, but Lao's will have to make better use of a slower mid in B3, and D4 to get in. Also, making either 11 or 11212 a bit more minus, may make this string not as powerful. I don't know. Just my thoughts.

I know people will chant for jumping 2 nerfs. I personally feel like this move is completely balanced, in most cases. I know, come at me bros. It's 10 frames, so in a lot of cases it'll lose air to airs. Sometimes i'd rather have one of the many 6 or 7 frames jump ins, that also have decent range. Maybe make it a little shorter? Anything severe would make the move really bad in comparison to a large amount of the jump ins in the game. I would personally swap for Shinnok's jump 1. I don't know how other Lao's feel, since jump back 2 atm is really strong, but a 6 frame one with pretty decent range, is definitely not a bad trade.

I don't think I could really accept a nerf that makes normal hatspin punishable. You're kind of killing the essence of the character. Maybe he could receive 50/50s and a vortex, like Ermac? Lol, but again, killing the essence of the character. I think he's meant to have the move, the way it is. Nerfing other things is the answer imo.

Good podcast btw.
Yeah but those characters don't just throw their extender out there, they hit confirm (except for Ermac) and the trade off for the 50/50 he lacks is the pressure and the incredibly strong neutral game he has. The issue with the hat spin is that he can just do it through b2 and f2, but imagine if Ermac could just throw out f4~soul ball and not care. Nearly all other characters, with the exception of Marksman have to spend a bar to make their extenders safe, I don't see why Kung Lao should be different. I think he should be kept into line with how everyone else's meterless extenders work, and not nerfed to something like f2, because that move at least has a weakness.

J2 should get a range nerf as well because it is one of the most braindead moves in the game. An enormous hitbox that goes far past the visual indicator of the hat, practically impossible to tripguard because of the range you have to be at to make it whiff, and it essentially can't be anti-aired without armour. Worst of all is that it can jail into b3 even at max range.

Tweedy

Noob
Yeah but those characters don't just throw their extender out there, they hit confirm (except for Ermac) and the trade off for the 50/50 he lacks is the pressure and the incredibly strong neutral game he has. The issue with the hat spin is that he can just do it through b2 and f2, but imagine if Ermac could just throw out f4~soul ball and not care. Nearly all other characters, with the exception of Marksman have to spend a bar to make their extenders safe, I don't see why Kung Lao should be different. I think he should be kept into line with how everyone else's meterless extenders work, and not nerfed to something like f2, because that move at least has a weakness.

J2 should get a range nerf as well because it is one of the most braindead moves in the game. An enormous hitbox that goes far past the visual indicator of the hat, practically impossible to tripguard because of the range you have to be at to make it whiff, and it essentially can't be anti-aired without armour. Worst of all is that it can jail into b3 even at max range.
I would like a nerf to Cassie's EX flip kick, since it's not punishable. That doesn't follow the rules of launching armor, especially fast launching armor.

I'd also like Tremor's + armor in his Crystal variation to be nerfed. Obviously doesn't follow the rules.

I'd like Quan's vortex with hard to blockables to be nerfed. Does not follow the rules.

Erron Black and Cassie Cage can make 50/50s safe with meter. Nerf those too please.

I could literally make 6-8 more of these. A lot of characters have dirt. That's just how this game is. A character like Ermac has a vortex and 50/50s. Kung Lao does not have that. He doesn't have safe armor either.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I would like a nerf to Cassie's EX flip kick, since it's not punishable. That doesn't follow the rules of launching armor, especially fast launching armor.

I'd also like Tremor's + armor in his Crystal variation to be nerfed. Obviously doesn't follow the rules.

I'd like Quan's vortex with hard to blockables to be nerfed. Does not follow the rules.

Erron Black and Cassie Cage can make 50/50s safe with meter. Nerf those too please.

I could literally make 6-8 more of these. A lot of characters have dirt. That's just how this game is. A character like Ermac has a vortex and 50/50s. Kung Lao does not have that. He doesn't have safe armor either.
Erron's are not safe as they always have a gap, Tremor is stupid as is Quan, which is why people discuss nerfs all the time for them. Ex Flip is fucking stupid as well and should get fucked.

Kung Lao only has a top neutral game, pressure, corner carry, meterless damage and 7f armoured launcher...

Imo I'm sure a lot of people would like normalizations for a lot of the bullshit in this game.

xZoro

War God.
Erron's are not safe as they always have a gap, Tremor is stupid as is Quan, which is why people discuss nerfs all the time for them. Ex Flip is fucking stupid as well and should get fucked.

Kung Lao only has a top neutral game, pressure, corner carry, meterless damage and 7f armoured launcher...

Imo I'm sure a lot of people would like normalizations for a lot of the bullshit in this game.
Eyebrows sensei Boon disapproves with your opinion,
He thinks you should just get on with it because we are nerfing raiden next patch and giving quan A 5 Frame unblockable combo starter, because Dave says he's mid tier.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Eyebrows sensei Boon disapproves with your opinion,
He thinks you should just get on with it because we are nerfing raiden next patch and giving quan A 5 Frame unblockable combo starter, because Dave says he's mid tier.
Shut up and play me.

Tweedy

Noob

I mean if Kung Lao's hat gets nerfed, and other dirt is left in, I have other top tier characters to use. I just think that taking out his stuff over Quan's, Cassie's, etc, because Foxy is a top 2 player, is irrational. Foxy would probably be just as good with 4-5 other character.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
i think regular hat should be -6/-7 frames (like buzzsaw low hat) so you cant d4 after that, tho you shouldnt at -3 anyways. His meterless dmg should be around 33/35% for landing the 44 link so you're rewarded by the tight execution. and that's it pretty much imo.

i wouldnt make his regular hat punishable cause then he will be too unsafe for not having a 50/50, he will be left with b2xxhat, wich you cant hitconfirm, f2xxhat wich has already a gap in it and you cant hitconfirm it neither. You can get away with better hitconfirms off of 112124 on hit, sure, but then a typical scenario would be "yeah, just block high against Lao and punish his hat, win"

what do you think? @Phosferrax @Tweedy @A F0xy Grampa

EDIT: oh yes, forgot his jip2, it's ridiculus, should be toned down, just like Kotal, Shinnok, Quan and Sonya

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I mean if Kung Lao's hat gets nerfed, and other dirt is left in, I have other top tier characters to use. I just think that taking out his stuff over Quan's, Cassie's, etc, because Foxy is a top 2 player, is irrational. Foxy would probably be just as good with 4-5 other character.
Of course he would, but he's hardly going to be destroying people with Dragon's Fang Goro like he destroys people with KL is he?

We mentioned Quan buffs in the podcast, and I'm sure there would be a few other top tier normalization suggestions floating around as well.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
I don't think it should be punishable, but in this game, minus 6/7 is about the frames where your turn is over.

Tweedy

Noob
I don't think it should be punishable, but in this game, minus 6/7 is about the frames where your turn is over.
Keep in mind that Kung Lao's fastest normal is 8 frames. If he can follow up with anything after a normal hatspin on block, it's because the person defending messed up. That's not a thing.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Keep in mind that Kung Lao's fastest normal is 8 frames. If he can follow up with anything after a normal hatspin on block, it's because the person defending messed up. That's not a thing.
Except that there is a mind game between backdash, jump back 2 and d4 with spacing. It's not like all his hat spins leave him at point blank.

Some characters have to do a high to stop jump back, which opens up the game.

Tweedy

Noob
Except that there is a mind game between backdash, jump back 2 and d4 with spacing. It's not like all his hat spins leave him at point blank.

Some characters have to do a high to stop jump back, which opens up the game.
Jump back 2? He has no hat after hatspin, so he just throws out like the shortest jumping attack in the game. I'll give it to you that he can do divekick, or just jump away, but if that or backdash gets called out, he's getting full combo punished.

D4 is also not a thing. If you get hit with a D4, that's just user error on your part.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam

Erron's 50/50s can be armored through tho, i dont think he should be nerfed

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
ok so: 1. regular hat at -6 so it's not punishable but it's not your turn. 2. meterless dmg nerf for the 44 link (33% from 11212xxhat and 35% from f2xxhat and b2xxhat). 3. reduced range on jip2

seems reasonable for me.

Tweedy

Noob
Erron's 50/50s can be armored through tho, i dont think he should be nerfed
hmmmmm

If someone has a bar, you can just do F132 which is i'm pretty sure is safe, because of the punish back and block stun, to bait out armor.

For the low, it cannot be armored. I don't know who told you that. Maybe B33 into sand gernade? You can just do B32 sand gernade, and it's completely safe.

Keep in mind it's still a +7 launcher. Just because the overhead can be armored, doesn't mean it's not super dirty.

Tweedy

Noob
ok so: 1. regular hat at -6 so it's not punishable but it's not your turn. 2. meterless dmg nerf for the 44 link (33% from 11212xxhat and 35% from f2xxhat and b2xxhat). 3. reduced range on jip2

seems reasonable for me.
If it's -6 he would be free to Cassie, which is lame. The rich would just get richer.

I don't think there's anything wrong with -3. Things like jump back 2, D4, D1, aren't real. It's just user error by the defender.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
hmmmmm

If someone has a bar, you can just do F132 which is i'm pretty sure is safe, because of the punish back and block stun, to bait out armor.

For the low, it cannot be armored. I don't know who told you that. Maybe B33 into sand gernade? You can just do B32 sand gernade, and it's completely safe.

Keep in mind it's still a +7 launcher. Just because the overhead can be armored, doesn't mean it's not super dirty.
i meant the b33 actually yeah, didnt know about b32xxexnade being safe, should recheck frame data and stuff... but i mean, i think he's pretty balanced imo

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Jump back 2? He has no hat after hatspin, so he just throws out like the shortest jumping attack in the game. I'll give it to you that he can do divekick, or just jump away, but if that or backdash gets called out, he's getting full combo punished.

D4 is also not a thing. If you get hit with a D4, that's just user error on your part.
It's not because it low profiles slower mids and highs, so it forces some characters to poke when they're plus.