What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Goro Goro MU Discussion Thread

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
FTR I'm not trying to get out early and be like "GAHHH GORO CASSIE IS 1-9 I HAVE NO OPTIONS"

just looking to stimulate discussion and talk strategy with my fellow Shokan

as for Mileena- I feel like she has such a low profile that s2 not hitting mid just screws us. You can't hardly touch her
Haha yea dude nothing against the thread. We needed one started anyway. I just don't have much useful input yet.

Espio

Kokomo
@NRF CharlieMurphy Quan comes to mind for annoying zoning plus teleports lol.

which of goro's lows combos into punchwalk? D3?
Back 3 combos into punchwalk. Low pokes don't combo into it. Down pokes into command grab is hilarious though after you've got someone to respect you.

Dude... we need to play... why the fuck arnt we playing each other? We main the exact same fucking characters and the same variations lol.
I don't know lol. I'm always down to play anybody though, is kind of interesting how that worked out though.

SPY

Noob
why is that sad?

is b3 so bad?
Punchwalk is just awesome.
I love it so much. I can literally make people watch me run at them because I have a bar of meter.
B3 is slow, small damage, single hit so you cannot hit confirm it, punishable on block if not canceled, so i assume it have huge gap.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
shokan grab is awesome

but the ps4 pad isn't for me

when i get a new pad i'm sure i'll love it even more

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
So if you block Mileena's teleport blocking low you can full combo punish with B1U22. Block it high and I don't think a punish is possible because of how far away she lands.

regulas

Your Emporer
Faster characters and the few who can overwhelm the screen with stuff (Summoner Quan) or just negate his fireball (Sub-Zero) are what I mean

Flame breath has giant gaps when cancelled into, some characters just don't have to respect it at all because of how slow it is
Unfortunately we don't have as advantageous hitbox's due to only two low ball positions and the firballs being high, which is why we can't be true zoners, buuuttt:

Unlike Shokan bolt which is at 77 total frames Goro's fireballs are actually somewhat fast, even his low balls despite there slow start-up have 51 total frames, his strait one is 52 total frames. This is on par with Quan Chi, Liu Kang and the like, all while doing better dmg, you can at top speed power through Sub clones too. Kano Cyber knives at 38 frames at Kitana at 46 are worth watching out for though your dmg can makup for the speed difference. The point here being that if it's a spam war it's not entirely impossible to hold your own, though without a mid or a far projectiles we are at a disadvantage.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Any string or normal canceled intro Dragon Breath, besides 21~FB, 4~FB, F21~FB and probably 121~FB(i can't recheck now), have HUGE gap on block, so i dont recommend using it.
you can space f3 so that pokes won't reach.

There are a few moves where having that gap and actually letting someone poke you works to your advantage... because they get comfortable and then you can spin/punchwalk them

but yeah... don't do this to mileena. She'll just roll everytime.

SPY

Noob
you can space f3 so that pokes won't reach.

There are a few moves where having that gap and actually letting someone poke you works to your advantage... because they get comfortable and then you can spin/punchwalk them

but yeah... don't do this to mileena. She'll just roll everytime.
There is at least 10 frame gap between F3 and Dragon Breath, opponent dont need to poke at all, just full combo punish you.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
There is at least 10 frame gap between F3 and Dragon Breath, opponent dont need to poke at all, just full combo punish you.
yeah

i went and labbed it.

I do NOT use this anymore.

I've bee using KW and Fangs anyway. The fireballs just don't seem to really enhance him at all now that i've started to really understand what I want

KW is especially useful in the corner for landing a full combo into the uppercut and using chest bump to keep them in the corner.

Fangs is still my most used .... the chip damage and extra safe damage launcher is just too good. The spin also is a much better "Jump back" prevention method.

Ermac has been a total problem for me lately though. Especially those that are smart enough to stay 3/4 screen. How are you guys approaching this monster?

regulas

Your Emporer
yeah

i went and labbed it.

I do NOT use this anymore.

I've bee using KW and Fangs anyway. The fireballs just don't seem to really enhance him at all now that i've started to really understand what I want

KW is especially useful in the corner for landing a full combo into the uppercut and using chest bump to keep them in the corner.

Fangs is still my most used .... the chip damage and extra safe damage launcher is just too good. The spin also is a much better "Jump back" prevention method.

Ermac has been a total problem for me lately though. Especially those that are smart enough to stay 3/4 screen. How are you guys approaching this monster?
Ya Cancel frame data can be weird, it's often a good idea to measure the actual block recovery your opponent has and use that to determine if cancelling has enough frames for blocked hits.

For me Dragon Breath was never that great of a move, as much as +13 on block looks appealing I've found it very sporadic in real uses. The fireballs are what it's all about, the extreme safety and reasonably decent overall speed and pace.

Kutan warrior i'm still mixed on... really it seems best versus those with high projectiles because you can use it to duck. I still dislike chest move though.

Fangs is generally the ideal pick really but I dislike loosing out on ranged options.

Gurg

Noob
Reposting this is proper thread. If anyone can contribute, please let me know!
----
I just played against my first Pyro Tanya offline, and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be (and more!)

Her ex teleport seems bonkers good. Even if I corner her she can do that into air teleport and she's out. Gonna have to practice against it to see what I can do.

Chest bump seems crucial for snagging her while she's trying to get away (for me anyway).

In any case, extremely brutal match up lol

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Reposting this is proper thread. If anyone can contribute, please let me know!
----
I just played against my first Pyro Tanya offline, and it was every bit as bad as I thought it would be (and more!)

Her ex teleport seems bonkers good. Even if I corner her she can do that into air teleport and she's out. Gonna have to practice against it to see what I can do.

Chest bump seems crucial for snagging her while she's trying to get away (for me anyway).

In any case, extremely brutal match up lol
I believe @chief713 said he was going to get offline exp vs tanya sometime soon, maybe he has more

I'll take the character in the lab hopefully tomorrow (stupid overnight shift :() and see what I can figure out

First musing, if she ex teleports can you interrupt before cancelled into air teleport? Also is ex tele armored? As a wakeup it might pay to see if we can stuff it with 3d3

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
I believe @chief713 said he was going to get offline exp vs tanya sometime soon, maybe he has more

I'll take the character in the lab hopefully tomorrow (stupid overnight shift :() and see what I can figure out

First musing, if she ex teleports can you interrupt before cancelled into air teleport? Also is ex tele armored? As a wakeup it might pay to see if we can stuff it with 3d3
My understanding is Tanya teleports have invincibility, not armor, making the match-up near impossible.

chief713

Vertebral Subluxationist
Haven't had a chance to get to Tanya yet. I have played some other matchups for extended periods against good players and have some early opinions. None of this is set in stone and I'm not an authority on any of these, just a very early and simple assessment based on my own experiences playing offline against good players.

Mileena (All) - Even, maybe slightly in Goro's favor. She's pretty easy to block and doesn't have the scary 50/50 of other chars. And her specials are hella unsafe.

Kitana (All) - Very bad for Goro. Fans shut down his moveset. Assassin and Storm are terrible but Mournful is manageable, maybe even

Cassie - Slightly Cassie's favor in Spec Ops. Her whiff punishes are really good and zoning is a bit annoying for Goro. Also has a very good jumping punch. Not a lot of Hollywood exp but Brawler seems better, closer to even.

Kung Lao (Tempest) - Bad for Goro. Lao gets great pressure since he has a string (forget which one, its with the flurry punches) that can cancel into hat and is uninterruptable. So he pretty much gets free throws. Teleport is also a little annoying since Goro's d2 is ass and spin blows up stomp so his zoning can be a pain

Kano (Commando, Cybernetic) - Commando is slightly Kano favor and Cybernetic is bad for Goro. In Commando, Kano can blow up pokes into PW so you can't play as mindless against him. In Cyber, you don't really have to worry about mixups but when he gets his zoning started its very hard.

Sub Zero - Fairly even or slightly Goro's favor. Not bad if you can manage to stay out of the corner. EX PW and ground pound eat ice klone and force Sub to approach, which is what Goro wants. He has a decent 50/50 game so it can still be hard if you get caught w/o meter. On the other end of the spectrum, if you have a bar and have a healthy life lead, things can get grim for Sub as his approach gets shut down on reaction with EX PW or EX stomp.