What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Goro Goro MU Discussion Thread

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
So I just saw our favorite four armed Kombat Master didn't have his own thread yet, and while it may be a while until we are all informed enough to discuss matchups thoroughly, it would help to have a dedicated place to do so!

All Goros, please post your findings below!

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Not a lot going on, huh?

I'll start... How are any of you fighting Cassie? She just feels so much faster up close, I'm getting bullied

regulas

Your Emporer
Pupupupu punwalk EX on reaction to her attacks. Pretty much your free combo card which is super effective against any heavy rushdown unless they have 3 hits before you can hit them (maybe kano ex knives or the Kang special). And it's easy to leave them a good distance away from you or to end on top of them in the corner with your fast grab. I mean won't beat everything obviously but one of the easiest ways to counter any pressure, and at 25% +per combo it's not too hard to literally just win with this alone. You can also try tic throws. Or I think the grab ex has armour but the combo dmg and multi armor from punchwalk is clearly better.

On the whole looks like Goro isn't super popular on the forums, not a lot of actual mains mostly he seems a secondary since apprently people wanted a rushdown character rather then a specials oriented character.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Pupupupu punwalk EX on reaction to her attacks. Pretty much your free combo card which is super effective against any heavy rushdown unless they have 3 hits before you can hit them (maybe kano ex knives or the Kang special). And it's easy to leave them a good distance away from you or to end on top of them in the corner with your fast grab. I mean won't beat everything obviously but one of the easiest ways to counter any pressure, and at 25% +per combo it's not too hard to literally just win with this alone. You can also try tic throws. Or I think the grab ex has armour but the combo dmg and multi armor from punchwalk is clearly better.

On the whole looks like Goro isn't super popular on the forums, not a lot of actual mains mostly he seems a secondary since apprently people wanted a rushdown character rather then a specials oriented character.
yeah man, i'm trying to make him work but he feels weird in my hands design wise
i was expecting more grappling from him to be honest

spacing out with f3 and punchwalk seems to e my best bet so far, plus armoring through her string gaps

regulas

Your Emporer
Something about him really suits me, I've always likes using special moves moreso then normals so a character that allows that moreso is nice. Technically he is the best grappler I find just because at 7 frames it's really hard to beat. As I think I might start using him more heavily I really need to just get used to using it as a reversal more often, even pokes may have difficulty stopping it on reversal unless they were -1 or better on block, and is the other anti-pressure option.

If you are using tigrar make sure to fireball a lot especially for the meter which allows you to EX Punchwalk more often.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Not a lot going on, huh?

I'll start... How are any of you fighting Cassie? She just feels so much faster up close, I'm getting bullied
I just am trying not to make any claims for a while to come honestly, just learning, taking notes here and there. I've got a lot of thoughts so far, but I will reserve those until I've played for a long while.

I am spacing Cassie out, baiting out her back 1 and blowing her up with armor moves when I scout it. Our low pokes can check her well enough and if you can instill enough fear in her via the post blocked punch walk meta as well as armoring through some of her strings you can play your game even more. You can sneak in some zoning too in Tigrar fury and trades are in your favor. I played a Hollywood Cassie, Brawler probably does worse though since she doesn't have air guns, nut punch, less damage (due to losing a Hollywood specific pop up) and less safe strings (Hollywood has forward 3, 4, which is a safe overhead string). I feel like Goro can compete with her afar and up close in this variant.

No idea on how Spec Ops does honestly.

I feel like Goro versus Sonya is going to be hype and interesting down the line, particularly Covert Ops versus Tigrar Fury, but I'll just leave it at that till I've had a lot more time to delve into the match up from both sides.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
I just am trying not to make any claims for a while to come honestly, just learning, taking notes here and there. I've got a lot of thoughts so far, but I will reserve those until I've played for a long while.

I am spacing Cassie out, baiting out her back 1 and blowing her up with armor moves when I scout it. Our low pokes can check her well enough and if you can instill enough fear in her via the post blocked punch walk meta as well as armoring through some of her strings you can play your game even more. You can sneak in some zoning too in Tigrar fury and trades are in your favor. I played a Hollywood Cassie, Brawler probably does worse though since she doesn't have air guns, nut punch, less damage (due to losing a Hollywood specific pop up) and less safe strings (Hollywood has forward 3, 4, which is a safe overhead string). I feel like Goro can compete with her afar and up close in this variant.

No idea on how Spec Ops does honestly.

I feel like Goro versus Sonya is going to be hype and interesting down the line, particularly Covert Ops versus Tigrar Fury, but I'll just leave it at that till I've had a lot more time to delve into the match up from both sides.
Covert Ops and Tigrar fury lol... look it is my two main variations... Sonya will take that with parries.

D

Deleted member 9158

I don't think many people actually main him here. I haven't even fought someone using him online yet

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Covert Ops and Tigrar fury lol... look it is my two main variations... Sonya will take that with parries.
I'm gonna actually play it out in depth myself and besides, it's not like Goro doesn't have good low pokes or a low starter into punch walk, there is no reason to oversimplify the meta game.

Not to mention Goro can armor through a lot of her strings for full combo. Then you have to think about the fact that his zoning beats her in trades since 8% fireball > 5% energy rings.

If a Goro player seriously lets Sonya kill him with primarily parries, that's saying more about the Goro player than the match up. I am highly skeptical that it's as clear cut as what is being presented.

Fractured_Shadow

I'm gonna actually play it out in depth myself and besides, it's not like Goro doesn't have good low pokes or a low starter into punch walk, there is no reason to oversimplify the meta game.

Not to mention Goro can armor through a lot of her strings for full combo. Then you have to think about the fact that his zoning beats her in trades since 8% fireball > 5% energy rings.

If a Goro player seriously lets Sonya kill him with primarily parries, that's saying more about the Goro player than the match up. I am highly skeptical that it's as clear cut as what is being presented.
Not presenting anything "in depth" because I have yet to fight a Goro that is worth anything because as was said previously I think most people are using him as a secondary atm.

But if you really want to do this;

Goro will suffer in this MU due to Dive Kick. You cannot zone Sonya at anywhere near mid screen. Her jump arch will destroy that. You cannot air to air her with her insane 16 active frame JIP1 and Goro's horrid jump arch.

Goro will also have trouble punishing her because of his T Rex arms. The reason I say the parry is such a big deal is because Sonya can occupy a VERY deadly footsie space juuuust outside of Goro's D4 range. This is at about the crossover JIP range for Sonya and the range that she can see and parry a punchwalk on reaction. Also I feel like Sonya is actually scarier up close than Goro is. She is not meter dependent so she will most likley have breaker if needed so she can play a little more risky vs Goro or just get up for free...

As with most of Sonya's MU's I feel like this will be in her favor.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I'm just not going to say a match up is winning or losing if I've yet to play anybody good with Goro or Sonya and especially so early into things. And this was to your own admission as well.

We're not talking about zoning Sonya at mid screen, I mentioned trades, which are in his favor. Zoning any character at that range, especially ones like Kung Lao and Sonya with dive kicks carries a notable risk.

How would he have trouble punishing her with something like forward 3, punch walk (11 frames), command grab (7 frames) or his nine frame jab that isn't back 1?

If you're trying to punish a lot of things with back 1 aside from blocked attacks that leave you right next to the opponent, you're not using it right. Back 1's range is not good. Her blocked MS low and overhead are both unsafe and reversal punchwalk or a nine frame jab into punchwalk punishes as well.

I don't understand how you can say parry is a big deal then ignore the fact he can armor through a lot of her commonly used options safely to boot. The risk/reward of parry is pretty equal, especially if she ex's the parry and guesses wrong, she's out of a bar and getting launched and if Goro guesses wrong, he's getting launched.

And you're approaching from the perspective that he has to punchwalk at that range when in reality, if you're looking for punch walk he can just jump in, walk in, walk back, bait your parry and blow you up etc. He doesn't HAVE to do punch walk, in fact he doesn't HAVE to do anything he can just walk forward then walk back to bait movement or sit there.

Fractured_Shadow

I'm just not going to say a match up is winning or losing if I've yet to play anybody good with Goro or Sonya and especially so early into things. And this was to your own admission as well.

We're not talking about zoning Sonya at mid screen, I mentioned trades, which are in his favor. Zoning any character at that range, especially ones like Kung Lao and Sonya with dive kicks carries a notable risk.

How would he have trouble punishing her with something like forward 3, punch walk (11 frames), command grab (7 frames) or his nine frame jab that isn't back 1?

If you're trying to punish a lot of things with back 1 aside from blocked attacks that leave you right next to the opponent, you're not using it right. Back 1's range is not good. Her blocked MS low and overhead are both unsafe and reversal punchwalk or a nine frame jab into punchwalk punishes as well.

I don't understand how you can say parry is a big deal then ignore the fact he can armor through a lot of her commonly used options safely to boot. The risk/reward of parry is pretty equal, especially if she ex's the parry and guesses wrong, she's out of a bar and getting launched and if Goro guesses wrong, he's getting launched.

And you're approaching from the perspective that he has to punchwalk at that range when in reality, if you're looking for punch walk he can just jump in, walk in, walk back, bait your parry and blow you up etc. He doesn't HAVE to do punch walk, in fact he doesn't HAVE to do anything he can just walk forward then walk back to bait movement or sit there.
Dude... we need to play... why the fuck arnt we playing each other? We main the exact same fucking characters and the same variations lol.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Not presenting anything "in depth" because I have yet to fight a Goro that is worth anything because as was said previously I think most people are using him as a secondary atm.

But if you really want to do this;

Goro will suffer in this MU due to Dive Kick. You cannot zone Sonya at anywhere near mid screen. Her jump arch will destroy that. You cannot air to air her with her insane 16 active frame JIP1 and Goro's horrid jump arch.

Goro will also have trouble punishing her because of his T Rex arms. The reason I say the parry is such a big deal is because Sonya can occupy a VERY deadly footsie space juuuust outside of Goro's D4 range. This is at about the crossover JIP range for Sonya and the range that she can see and parry a punchwalk on reaction. Also I feel like Sonya is actually scarier up close than Goro is. She is not meter dependent so she will most likley have breaker if needed so she can play a little more risky vs Goro or just get up for free...

As with most of Sonya's MU's I feel like this will be in her favor.
Just food for thought

that range in which she can react to punchwalk... is the range a low fireball can reach out and touch you.

Trip guarding her and using a ton of command grabs. Probably the best bet at this point.

Goro's trex mid is such a joke. just make standing 2 a mid.

Fractured_Shadow

Just food for thought

that range in which she can react to punchwalk... is the range a low fireball can reach out and touch you.

Trip guarding her and using a ton of command grabs. Probably the best bet at this point.

Goro's trex mid is such a joke. just make standing 2 a mid.
I agree about the S2... the problem with shooting a low fireball at Sonya at that range is the risk/reward. Sonya can EASILY divekick that for 40%. This is not a wise move for Goro.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Personal opinion is that he's going to be a niche pick

People who are able to interrupt his flame breath pressure (Mileena can do it meterless) are going to give him trouble, but anyone who lacks a decent wake up or a strong up close game is going to be lunch meat when he gets the knockdown

He'll have issue with people who can keep him out with heavy zoning, he has a pretty bad run/dash but he has to be respected on account of Punch Walk's screen coverage when he's close enough

regulas

Your Emporer

People who are able to interrupt his flame breath pressure (Mileena can do it meterless) are going to give him trouble, but anyone who lacks a decent wake up or a strong up close game is going to be lunch meat when he gets the knockdown

He'll have issue with people who can keep him out with heavy zoning, he has a pretty bad run/dash but he has to be respected on account of Punch Walk's screen coverage when he's close enough
Zoning shouldn't be too much of an issue because Tigrar straight fireball has excellent frame data and higher dmg then most others. In general I have found that throws, Punchwalk (ex specially), and straight fireball are what I use most heavily. Strings I use more likely for a punish as I find the speed of most makes them sporadic in use. Jab is great.

Flame breath is a move that despite it's + on block has been disapointing me a lot due to it's hitbox limiting it's usage.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Zoning shouldn't be too much of an issue because Tigrar straight fireball has excellent frame data and higher dmg then most others. In general I have found that throws, Punchwalk (ex specially), and straight fireball are what I use most heavily. Strings I use more likely for a punish as I find the speed of most makes them sporadic in use. Jab is great.

Flame breath is a move that despite it's + on block has been disapointing me a lot due to it's hitbox limiting it's usage.
Faster characters and the few who can overwhelm the screen with stuff (Summoner Quan) or just negate his fireball (Sub-Zero) are what I mean

Flame breath has giant gaps when canceled into, some characters just don't have to respect it at all because of how slow it is

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I agree about the S2... the problem with shooting a low fireball at Sonya at that range is the risk/reward. Sonya can EASILY divekick that for 40%. This is not a wise move for Goro.
on a hard read sure

but she isn't dive kicking that on reaction.

so she can either look for a punchwalk or deal with fireball...... or hard read jump and react

i get what you're saying though. I don't find characters that WANT to mix it up to be a problem.

I find Teleporters with GOOD projectiles to be a HUGE problem.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

Still think dragon fangs are probably his best because of the pure damage and chip damage... as well as the added move that most characters just have to deal with.

Tigrar is good no doubt... would be better if 2 was a mid... or b12 wasn't so shitty in the range dept.

BunLantern

Long live b13 minigun
Too early for match ups really. But for Cassie fireball fireball fireball. You'll need meter because MB punch walk is your best tool here from what I'm noticing.

I'm having the most trouble with Mileena. Punishing her moves seems awkward.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Too early for match ups really. But for Cassie fireball fireball fireball. You'll need meter because MB punch walk is your best tool here from what I'm noticing.

by awkward you mean... impossible?
i seriously have the same issue.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
Still think dragon fangs are probably his best because of the pure damage and chip damage... as well as the added move that most characters just have to deal with.

Tigrar is good no doubt... would be better if 2 was a mid... or b12 wasn't so shitty in the range dept.
Both the b1 and the u2 in that string need more range. It is infuriating to get blown up because the third hit whiffs completely

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

FTR I'm not trying to get out early and be like "GAHHH GORO CASSIE IS 1-9 I HAVE NO OPTIONS"

just looking to stimulate discussion and talk strategy with my fellow Shokan

as for Mileena- I feel like she has such a low profile that s2 not hitting mid just screws us. You can't hardly touch her