What's new

General/Other - Goro Goro General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast
Besides his run speed what exactly is hurting this character?
his run isn't even that huge a deal i don't think... You don't need to run far to be in range of goro's gigantic limbs
Damn.

Im trying to find ways to end meterless combos without trying to do f3 grab(god I hate that input)
you can substitute 2,1 or 4 in most instances for the same damage, f3 grab is stupid lol

or just end in punchwalk, but that lacks that visceral feeling you get with grab

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
his run isn't even that huge a deal i don't think... You don't need to run far to be in range of goro's gigantic limbs

you can substitute 2,1 or 4 in most instances for the same damage, f3 grab is stupid lol

or just end in punchwalk, but that lacks that visceral feeling you get with grab
I dunno, everytime I do punchwalk I feel really good about myself for some reason.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Yeah that final swing on punchwalk always feels good.

His forward dash is pretty good, he has two safe advancing pokes, one being cancelable and the other an overhead, a screen clearing unblockable teleport, and the ground pound that can make enemies want to come to you.

As a person who co-mains Jacqui who has literally the best run in the game, I don't feel any loss at all when using Goro.

121 in the corner is still IMO the best option.

CamRac

Noob
I don't understand why we're all struggling to eek out damage with this giant bastard. I keep hearing optimistic comments about how Goro is okay and doesn't need anything, but have you played offline? He's slow as molasses, his b12u2 is practically useless as a launcher, and almost everything he has can be interrupted by the generally agreed upon "high tier" of the moment.

In a game of simple characters, he has to be one of the most simple. With lack of speed and mixups, and with his command grab having the shittiest input ever created for a fighting game, how is he supposed to compete? Idk. I just feel like I should be netting 45% off of one bar midscreen, not 35%. Do you guys actually think he can win anything, all things considered?

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I don't understand why we're all struggling to eek out damage with this giant bastard. I keep hearing optimistic comments about how Goro is okay and doesn't need anything, but have you played offline? He's slow as molasses, his b12u2 is practically useless as a launcher, and almost everything he has can be interrupted by the generally agreed upon "high tier" of the moment.

In a game of simple characters, he has to be one of the most simple. With lack of speed and mixups, and with his command grab having the shittiest input ever created for a fighting game, how is he supposed to compete? Idk. I just feel like I should be netting 45% off of one bar midscreen, not 35%. Do you guys actually think he can win anything, all things considered?
He's plus on everything and has OTGs, he can't be that useless.

I think you just have to have really good reads and footsies when you play him. He's probably viable but he probably would take a lot of work and solid solid play.

I may be talking out of my ass though and he might be shit tier. I may use him in some locals in a few weeks.

RYX

BIG PUSHER

lack of mixups? the dude has a 7 frame command grab, a 13 frame overhead, a fast low, and punchwalk

he's got a slow walk/run but the guy has literally nothing but safe advancing moves, and some of them are + on block and his corner game is downright stupid with meter

the only problem with goro is that he has no synergy with the run mechanic like better characters do -- it being sluggish is bad enough, but he has no cancels to utilize it. he feels out of place in MKX in regards to mechanics, but he sure as hell isn't bad

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
the only problem with goro is that he has no synergy with the run mechanic like better characters do -- it being sluggish is bad enough, but he has no cancels to utilize it. he feels out of place in MKX in regards to mechanics, but he sure as hell isn't bad
To be fair he doesn't need it for any combos. F3 is so fucking good it negates to need to run forward to extend..

Last edited:

juicepouch

blink-182 enthusiast

I play off line with goro pretty rgularly with a few people. He may run slow but his pokes are all fucking fast and he has a command grab that's 7 frames! Not to mention the range he has on his kicks. He's just not designed to be a quan or a kj but he's got a lot of tools and i don't think he's bad by any stretch

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.

Wait what do you mean almost everything can be interrupted? The only string with any notable gap in it is the u2 in b12u2, and even then if you have any sense you cancel your blocked b12 with punchwalk to remove the gap and make it safe. If i'm somehow forgetting any other huge gaps you can cancel those into punchwalk before-hand as well for the same effect.

Most of his strings are safe or plus and the ones that aren't you can make safe by canceling into punchwalk.

If you're using b12u2 it should almost only be used as a combo extender in the corner and not as a raw launcher,

When it comes to attacks he's not even slow. Believe it or not the start-up on his normals are pretty average compared to most of the cast and he's one of the safest characters in the game.

Goro has everything he needs but a good run, and he barely even needs that.

Goro doesn't face-roll everything with no effort, sorry to tell you that, if you want that kind of character go jump on the Bojutsu bandwagon. If you want a fine, balanced character with a ton of good tools and fun combos, Goro is all you.

Last edited:

Agilaz

It has begun

He does get some level of mix-up game in Tigrar Fury, that low fireball can catch people off-guard pretty often and if you MB it, it's a launcher for a full combo.

I think Goro is in a really good place right now, probably one of the most balanced characters in the game. Although people who have been on the receiving end of EX Punch Walk might argue otherwise.

I was struggling as well a few days ago, I felt like Goro just wouldn't do well now that people kind of know the match-up. Turns out, I just had to punchwalk more. That move is so stupidly good.

Also sweet sweet frametraps in Tigrar Fury. 4~bf2 is safe on block and give pretty good advantage on hit, follow that up with a F3~punchwalk and watch the tears flow.

Ultimately, I think one of the most telling things about Goro's good balance is the fact that people are divided among the variations equally. Some swear by Dragon Fangs, others have seen the light with Kuatan Warrior (where during week 1, most people thought KW was ass - hah, suckers) and others see Tigrar Fury as the way to go. It's not like Kung Jin who might as well only have Bojutsu, or Raiden where picking anything but TG is handicapping yourself.

SPY

Noob
PC still have pre patch frame data, so if someone needs exact data, just ask me.

Last edited:

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
He does get some level of mix-up game in Tigrar Fury, that low fireball can catch people off-guard pretty often and if you MB it, it's a launcher for a full combo.

I think Goro is in a really good place right now, probably one of the most balanced characters in the game. Although people who have been on the receiving end of EX Punch Walk might argue otherwise.

I was struggling as well a few days ago, I felt like Goro just wouldn't do well now that people kind of know the match-up. Turns out, I just had to punchwalk more. That move is so stupidly good.

Also sweet sweet frametraps in Tigrar Fury. 4~bf2 is safe on block and give pretty good advantage on hit, follow that up with a F3~punchwalk and watch the tears flow.

Ultimately, I think one of the most telling things about Goro's good balance is the fact that people are divided among the variations equally. Some swear by Dragon Fangs, others have seen the light with Kuatan Warrior (where during week 1, most people thought KW was ass - hah, suckers) and others see Tigrar Fury as the way to go. It's not like Kung Jin who might as well only have Bojutsu, or Raiden where picking anything but TG is handicapping yourself.
The Goro community is oddly very variation loyal, more so than any other character communities.

Mainly because there is no "alpha" variation, they're all solid and the benefits from each suit some players more than others.

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
So, I'm getting old. I can't do combos to command grab cancels anymore -_-. Is there a shortcut command or trick to it?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The Goro community is oddly very variation loyal, more so than any other character communities.

Mainly because there is no "alpha" variation, they're all solid and the benefits from each suit some players more than others.
KW is def the alpha variation

It does everything well.

I actually think Tigrar is the worst.... because the fire flame has too much startup to be used in frame traps.

I'd change 2 things about him if i could.

2 should be a mid, exPunchwalk should always recapture. Right now fang spin is so good because i know i'll get a combo when it lands.... where Punchwalk doesn't always do that and is then a waste of precious precious meter.

come to think of it..... his low starter need another thing tacked on for hit confirmin sake

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.