What's new

Video/Tutorial General Zod's Advanced Strats, Frame Traps, Mix Ups and Tech Video

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player

Notes regarding video:
  • 123 = 2nd hit is an overhead (high overhead mid) Becomes (mid, oh, mid w trait)
  • 213 = 3rd hit is an overhead (mid mid oh)
  • command grab = overhead
  • f2 = Low
  • b1 = Low
  • B23 = +2 on block
  • d1 = 7 frames (5 frame starter off of b23 on block)
  • B2 Can be cancelled to low meter laser)
  • Ground Laser MB = +15 On block
  • Trait Slashes incorporated within Zod's strings make an even longer string for example
  • 213 low laser mb can become 4241434 low laser mb
  • 22 = +1 allowed a trait to mb laser frame trape
  • The above information is to help you understand the mix ups im showing on block. Some are in slow mo just so you can see what im doing.
  • 123 String = first hit is a high but starting a string with Trait slash forces them standing and 1 becomes a high and the 2nd hit is an overhead. This is really nice because you can do some of the following:
  • 41 low laser mb (they will try blocking high for the overhead)
  • 412 low laser mb
  • 412 command grab (mid mid overhead overhead)
  • etc etc etc
Please use your imagination while watching the video

ALSO HUGE NOTE: YOU CAN CANCEL YOUR DASH WITH COMMAND GRAB, thats why you see me dashing then in next part you see me dash cancel into a command grab. You can also Laser cancel into a command grab as shown.

ALL LEX SEGMENTS HE IS ALWAYS ON REVERSAL CORP CHARGE MODE (6 frame advancing special)

If you have any questions like "wtf is pig doing that, or why is this good" Ask me in here. Thanks and Enjoy!

More to come later

Kneel!

EGP Wonder_Chef
STORMS
CrimsonShadow
GamerBlake90
SimSim
Relaxedstate
NY_Jailhouse
Johnny2d
Konqrr
WoundCowboy

Good video. Lots of concepts shown here. Hopefully it will encourage Zod players to get creative with how they use trait because people will learn the MU eventually and the cookie cutter methods will stop working.

I think a good start to implementing these strats in actual matches would be on opponents who like to chill when they have a life lead. A passive opponent that only respects Zod as a zoner would be a good candidate to use this tech on.

Pig Of The Hut

Yo AK Pig Of The Hut
AT 5:47, IF YOU REALLY WANTED TO BE CRAZY,
you could do a bunch of trait slashes during the [MB] Ground Blast to get more out of trait (set-up AND damage).
Easy 50% or so.
I think it's more.
Wow.
Yea watching it back I have no idea why I didn't slash away

Would have been an easy 2meter 54%+ combo maybe

Edit: I meant 2 meter

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Wow. This is going to set it off. Canceling a regular laser with dash command grab cancel is a great mix up. I might be able to save some meter when I use trait at full screen now, fake laser into dash cancel trait grab. It looks like there are about 10,000 mix ups that come from all of this, time to start writing up some new game plans, this is the kind of stuff that keeps me interested in a character. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight, too many set ups to plan!

Ryu: FADC
Zod: LDCG = Laser dash cancel grab

Also Pig, I'm glad you are talking about the high low mix ups, which are really good for Zod. I was SHOCKED to hear people saying they think they can guard them all no problem. Yes, everyone who knows the matchup knows to stand up to block the 2nd and 3rd hit overheads in 123 and 213, but even if they do block correctly, then they are trapped by the mb laser. That and mixing in f2413, 2413, 4b12, j41, and everything in the wonder pig trap, its just flat out too much to guess right all the time. Oh yeah all that and my 141d2, 4, 34, 34, 123 bf3 combo, which 141d2 ends low not overhead. He's got so much that I find it hard to believe people can always guess right. If you look at any one string on its own, yeah people can learn to guard it easy, but when you can chain multiple strings together, and cancel with low lasers when you want, and now laser dash cancel trait overhead, its going to be really fun to be the one dishing out the madness rather than being on the receiving end.

Another thing I found today that I'm starting to incorporate as a counter to one argument that I've heard is mb f3 when trait is out. I've heard people say 'My meter burn b3 stuffs the trait grab or slash or whatever, if Zod approaches with trait out i just mb b3', and I'm not gonna to lie, I've been hit by it and knocked out of my trait a bunch. Here's the counter: Mb f3, 4, 4, 34, 34, 123 bf3. The slow speed of f3 makes it absorb and counter a lot of mb b3s really well. While you are waiting for zod to start the move you get a slash, then your f3 connects, then you knock them back to you with 4 for the 34 34 juggle combo. Works like a charm to shut down folks that think they can just mb b3 whenever you approach with trait out. Also I'm happy to have found a use for his slow f3, not useless after all.

-All Hail Zod

That was so sick! Holy crap man! Like literally this is a gateway to mixup central with Zod. Is it possible to do like d12 charge close laser and trait slash at the same time? That would be serious, serious business lol

Pig Of The Hut

That was so sick! Holy crap man! Like literally this is a gateway to mixup central with Zod. Is it possible to do like d12 charge close laser and trait slash at the same time? That would be serious, serious business lol
Yes u can do d12 laser charge trait slash not grab

Oh waitttttt a min

I'm in bed but I think u should w able to 4 d12 command grab . Damn should recorded that

You would mix that up w d12 charge laser back dash command grab
Or
D12 low laser MB 444

Or d12 4 f2 command grab

Or d12 4 f2 low laser MB

Or

Nvm ill be here all night lol

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The setups reminds me of Skarlet with her blockstring mind game.

who pushblocks blockstrings anyway?
btw pig, check if you can cancel pushblock animation with command grab lol it doesn't hurt a soul.

Timedrop

Noob
Thank you so much dude. I have one quick question though. Most people once you get the trait out or go into a trait set up wake up just holding back. Do you recommend going into the MB ground laser w/ wraith slash instantly then because I've had people jump that on wake up and since I'm stuck in laser animation all I can do is slash and maybe get off a Zod Charge. Problem with this is I just wasted one meter for just over like 24% or whatever amount it is.

Pig Of The Hut

Thank you so much dude. I have one quick question though. Most people once you get the trait out or go into a trait set up wake up just holding back. Do you recommend going into the MB ground laser w/ wraith slash instantly then because I've had people jump that on wake up and since I'm stuck in laser animation all I can do is slash and maybe get off a Zod Charge. Problem with this is I just wasted one meter for just over like 24% or whatever amount it is.
I wouldn't recommend doing instant ground laser on their wake up upon getting trait out on a hard knockdown

Just dash or better yet jump at them and while in air trait slash to remove their ability to AA you then begin your offense

Timedrop

Noob
Ahh man thanks. I need to hit some more training time with this stuff. Went into ranked a few minutes ago using it. Guy didn't know what to do. Kinda felt sorry for him. You're awesome man.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Ok AK Pig Of The Hut, idea for you (I was right, couldn't sleep last night, too many set ups to think about!)

Can you end juggles by canceling to trait grab? If it the same rules apply to canceling normals into trait grab on the first frame after slash recovery (i think i understand the science lol) Then we should be able to end a juggle with command grab, more easily than the videos i had made where I was using d2 to pop them up so I could wait for the time between slash and command grab to be ready.

If this works, you could do 141d2 or 2413 (high low mixup) in the corner to start the juggle, then 4, 34, 3 db4, to stand them up at the end of the combo, then j2, 112 gun shot. What I'm think is that you could use command grab at the end of the juggle to set up a leaves standing reset.

Pig Of The Hut

Ok AK Pig Of The Hut, idea for you (I was right, couldn't sleep last night, too many set ups to think about!)

Can you end juggles by canceling to trait grab? If it the same rules apply to canceling normals into trait grab on the first frame after slash recovery (i think i understand the science lol) Then we should be able to end a juggle with command grab, more easily than the videos i had made where I was using d2 to pop them up so I could wait for the time between slash and command grab to be ready.

If this works, you could do 141d2 or 2413 (high low mixup) in the corner to start the juggle, then 4, 34, 3 db4, to stand them up at the end of the combo, then j2, 112 gun shot. What I'm think is that you could use command grab at the end of the juggle to set up a leaves standing reset.
This sounds good man

Also check this out.

Summon trait 4 ji2 22 (+1) 11d2 command grab :)

22 being +1 makes 11d4 a 5 frame starter and trait slash makes standing 1 a mid