What's new

Games That Make You Rage Quit 4Life

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
You know, I was sitting down a minute ago, wondering about why we, as a human race, continue to play games that infuriate us. I mean, ultimately, we want to have fun when we play our games, and though the definition of "fun" varies between people, deep down we want to enjoy the experience, right? So why do we go ape S#!T with anger and break our controllers before coming right back to the same game days, hours, or even minutes later? Is it because we love some things about the game, but hate other things at the same time?

Bear with me, 'cause I know I'm going deep here, but I'll make it simple for you: I want to know about what games have you cursing and breaking things and busting bloody veins, and which of those games you come back to and the ones you drop for good.

I'll drop two examples from my personal history.

1) Magic: The Gathering - I've had an "On and Off" relationship with this game for decades. First off, there are three main play styles in Magic. I) Aggro II) Combo III) Control. It's that third one that flew me into rage back in the day. The game starts off competitive, but after one player takes control, it is all but over and there is almost nothing you can do to get back in the game. It created a feeling of helplessness that I couldn't stand, but I was too bullheaded to quit, and the game would drag on for over an hour. Add to that the price of the game (one competitive deck can cost you hundreds of dollars)., and it winds up not being worth it for me.

-But something always brings me back. I'll start playing again after X amount of years. Drop it after 3-4 months then forget it for years at a time. A fun game, but damn it gets me salty. Especially with the power creep.

2) Parasite EVE - An old original PlayStation game. I made it all the way to the final fudging boss, and was unable to beat it, whatever I did. It's an action RPG that was pretty easy honestly, but there is a difficulty spike at the end that's mind boggling. It's like I was carrying the wrong weapons, or I didn't have the right items equipped, and that thing had the HP of a regenerating ZOMBIE HORDE.

It just wouldn't die! I tried off and on for three weeks before I almost threw my controller through a wall. I was just done. I could have looked up a walkthrough or something like that, but I was so pissed off I didn't bother. Fast forward a year later and I actually just sold the game on eBay.

I didn't even want to LOOK at that game, it would tick me off so much :mad:

masherofbuttons

I'll mash out of +30 I know no fear
any of the lucasarts point and click games because I apparently lack the brainpower seven year olds had back in the day. I just get stuck and searching for a walkthrough kinda ruins the game

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
any of the lucasarts point and click games because I apparently lack the brainpower seven year olds had back in the day. I just get stuck and searching for a walk through kinda ruins the game
OMG Point and Click games can be unreal sometimes, I streamed the entirety of Fran Bow last Halloween and holy shit I felt dumber than a box of rocks trying to complete that game.

I suppose a game I love to hate and hate to love is any game in the Souls Borne series, I love those games but they can freaking infuriate me.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Legendary wings for the NES used to make me rage way back in the day, now I am pissed.

Deadly towers was a close second.

Edit: I thought the title was rage quit life not rage quite for life lol.

Last edited:

chores

bad at things
started quake in 1999, started counterstrike in 2001, started fighting games in 2011. i cant quit any of them although i play significantly less CS these days due to each match taking ~1 hour. quake is by far the most frustratingly difficult game ive ever played.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
started quake in 1999, started counterstrike in 2001, started fighting games in 2011. i cant quit any of them although i play significantly less CS these days due to each match taking ~1 hour. quake is by far the most frustratingly difficult game ive ever played.
Agreed, I jsut can't hang with that game esp, Arena, which is odd since I play the hell out of Overwatch now

Fighting against Cyrax in MK9?
Fighting against Kabal in MK9?
Figthing against Smoke as Sub Zero in MK9?
Figthing against Kenshi as Sub Zero in MK9?
Do any of those and ten You'll likely don't play MK9 anymore LOL

MKB

Forum General Emeritus
any of the lucasarts point and click games because I apparently lack the brainpower seven year olds had back in the day. I just get stuck and searching for a walkthrough kinda ruins the game
So how do you feel about Myst? That game was harder than just about any of the Lucasarts games, save maybe Zak McKraken, but it was heralded as one of the greatest games of its genre and its era.

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
damn what MTG format were you playing lol . Modern is popular for a reason bro

games i wont go back to (unless they are changed like fundamentally in massive ways)

i RQ Dota. I don't have an hour to spend outplaying an entire enemy team just to be let down by teammates who claim its all everyone elses fault.

i RQ competitive pokemon, I was top 50+ for a long time during 4th gen, but nothings clicked with me since then and the game feels 50/50 based and coin flippy now with things like megazard

i RQ mkx, too much bs and the only character i really enjoyed playing was a massive gimmick machine. Bombs needed to be HKD tbqh

Star Wars Pod Racing. One of the first major games to use a "rubber band effect" that allowed the AI to always catch up to you in the end no matter what your lead was. I practically broke a controller and swore never to play the game again.

Coincidentally, this same game design tool led to me quitting NFL/FIFA Street.

True Grave

Giving The Gift Of Graves
Violent procs in the mobile game Summoners War. Now I haven't RQ the game entirely, but the last couple months I only hop on to fight my guild battles. Nothing is more irritating in that game (besides summoning) than going against trash team comps and they beat you because they get multiple turns due to Violent Runes. Even tho you might be using the same runes, it seems they proc more on defense than offense. So while you're hoping to get that extra turn the opposing team takes about 2-4 turns per turn to your 1 turn. Shit makes me super salty and I want to break things after lol.

God Confirm

Star Wars Pod Racing. One of the first major games to use a "rubber band effect" that allowed the AI to always catch up to you in the end no matter what your lead was. I practically broke a controller and swore never to play the game again.

fuck me, i sunk hours into this and gave up because it just felt so unfair at the later stages of the game

this makes sense

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
I played many frustrating games

Warcraft 3,dota 2, hon,
Quake 3 Arena, mk9-injustice 2

Lol fuck all of those games for different reasons

Wc3 :
Tower rusher
T2 pusher
N8elf trolls with main trees in the forest, making you search them for 1-2 hours

Dota / hon / moba
Game duration extremely long
That makes it hard to accept a loss
People flaming minute -1 to end of the game
Egoistic carry idiots

Quake 3 / live
Forgetting spawn of items
Provoking :) chat smileys when u died
Lose 0:30 or win 30:0
Railgun

Mk9
Kabal, Cyrax

Injustice
Idk anymore and i just played it a few weeks

MKX
Ferra Torr players (lol so much hate somehow)
Quan chi
Broken tanya

Injustice 2
Kinda every char with projectile where you have to crush 90% of the matches
aquaman
Stampede cancels

I don't think ive ever really raged at a game but i've raged after hearing games i liked got shut down.

Matrix Online

City Of Heroes (QQ)

Nosgoth

Rise Of Incarnates

Wam-Zlay

Reptile / Noob
exactly why im done with the genre
The worst thing for me was that i had a 5 man team for a long long time. we won around 70% of our games and we almost lost only to top and semi professional teams. Still there was a lot of flaming in the communication. I miss my team anyways it was a great time.

MKB

Forum General Emeritus

Reminds me of Mario Kart 64. You could use the Rainbow Road shortcut and still somehow lose with one mistake since the computer could catch up.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Modern Warfare 2 was the one for me. At least a thousand "I fucking shot him"s, many friendships broken and 2 discs later I still continued playing for years. Amazing game, the best modern COD for free imo.

Fuck COD now though, piece of shit game

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
damn what MTG format were you playing lol . Modern is popular for a reason bro
Don't even get me started on Modern. Standard can be super slow if you run into a control player that knows what he/she is doing. Modern is almost-always blazingly fast (Infect) or it's laden with broken card advantage mechanics (See: Dredge) The Modern Pro Tour right before Kaladesh (iirc) was an embarrassment of broken Sh^&$.

Modern is also ridiculously expensive, and way more so than Standard. Go buy a playset (4) of Tarmogoyf's, from whatever set or reprinting you like. You might as well get yourself an X-Box One S. It'll be worth more in the long run ;)

God Confirm

Don't even get me started on Modern. Standard can be super slow if you run into a control player that knows what he/she is doing. Modern is almost-always blazingly fast (Infect) or it's laden with broken card advantage mechanics (See: Dredge) The Modern Pro Tour right before Kaladesh (iirc) was an embarrassment of broken Sh^&$.

Modern is also ridiculously expensive, and way more so than Standard. Go buy a playset (4) of Tarmogoyf's, from whatever set or reprinting you like. You might as well get yourself an X-Box One S. It'll be worth more in the long run ;)
Infect has placed top 8 twice in the last 2 months and currently consists of less than 1% of the meta.

Goyfs aren't mandatory.

I understand the price of entry is high, but eh your deck stays legal forever. I don't regret modern for a second and would recommend to anyone :) you can have a lot of fun experimenting in the format too, its strict but not strict enough to stop creativity.

Halo 5, the game started of promising it was suppose to be the return of, "competitive Halo" but with a broken MM system hidden MMR and partying to4 vs Solo que players was one hell of an oversight.People using smurf accounts to boost their higher level ranked friends and shit servers and redundant sandbox made me sick to my stomach. Don't even get me started on how they can't even FUCKING FIX THE AIM FOR A HALO GAME.

Now I cry for a swift and merciful death to my beloved franchise. What I would do for a classic Halo game again. #H3AnniversaryPLZ

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
Halo 5, the game started of promising it was suppose to be the return of, "competitive Halo" but with a broken MM system hidden MMR and partying to4 vs Solo que players was one hell of an oversight.People using smurf accounts to boost their higher level ranked friends and shit servers and redundant sandbox made me sick to my stomach. Don't even get me started on how they can't even FUCKING FIX THE AIM FOR A HALO GAME.
Oh yeah?

I just bought that game and I barely touched the campaign.

It doesn't sound like I'm going to be touching the multiplayer anytime soon. Oh well... I heard they fixed the online in Master Chief collection so, I might go relive my Halo 2 days.