What's new

Following up on the KTP: People WILL be playing Bioshock (and these other newgen games) in 20 years

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Sure we might go back and play a Bioshock or Halo for fun in 20 years. But my point on KTP was this, the gaming industry is WAY bigger than it was back in the NES/SNES days. While more people might play these games today, a bigger percentage of the community was playing those great oldschool games. Thus building nostalgia, thats why we go back and play them. Nowadays the kids playing COD/Halo have a new version every year, and don't build the same connection with those games that we did.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I added The Binding Of Isaac and Megaman 9 in honorable mentions to my first post.In fact, I would add any Top-notched sinlg player Indie game to those honorable mentions, ESPECIALLY if they're made by Edmund McMillen.

Who else besides me is hyped for Bioshock Infinite , Fallout 4 , Halo 4 and Assassin's Creed 3?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Sure we might go back and play a Bioshock or Halo for fun in 20 years. But my point on KTP was this, the gaming industry is WAY bigger than it was back in the NES/SNES days. While more people might play these games today, a bigger percentage of the community was playing those great oldschool games. Thus building nostalgia, thats why we go back and play them. Nowadays the kids playing COD/Halo have a new version every year, and don't build the same connection with those games that we did.
Not everyone is playing the mainstream games that get a new version every year.A lot of people WILL build nostalgia from some games.

I can assure you that if in 20 years I'm still a gamer, I WILL play MK9 and post it here on TYM if it still exists.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
current gen gaming is a lot different. think about arcade games of the 80s and 90s which were very challenging. the machines were expensive and the games had to be the perfect balance of difficulty and fun because for a shopkeeper to drop cash on such costly hardware is a gamble. arcade games were desgined to draw in revenue over a period of years. the thing that made arcade games so good is the provided a measurement if your ability in the form of points score and time. in that respect the player of the game set the challenge, you challenged yourself. but not only that, you challenged the top score holders to be top dog. then youd be knocked out. so youd try again.

these games might be described as minimal in the sense that they had no bells and whistles in their design. it was the complete basics, some would argue that is all which is necessary. there was little to no cinematic experience. there was little to no relevant storyline. it was you, the game, the challenge. you chose the level of depth you wished go. the audience was completely different to the one we see today.

as hardware advanced through the 90s elements of cinema were introduced. theres a reson many refer to the 90s as the golden age of gaming. is argue that the 90s gave rise to the perfect ratio of storyline and gameplay. graphics too massive leaps into the third dimension. but at the same time, the element of challenge and difficulty and longevity and addictiveness was retained in many cases. many games released were still about points, high score, time limits, timing. but games were seeing a radical change in presentation and storylines were getting deeper, cinematic experience was developing.

flash forward to today and gaming is supermassive. its the biggest for of entertainment. call of duty for 3 years running has had the biggest entertainment launches ever. every game released is a AAA cinematic masterpiece. however with such a huge huge audience, there have been sacrifices and changes n perception about what a game really is. games are now developed with millions of dollars with the intention of mass appeal on a huuuge scale. everyone playes games now. games can no longer be too hard, too minimal, too raw, too "gamelike". games are expected to uphold this grand level of immersive story and theatrics. games are becoming an interactive mixed media no longer necessarily about challenging yourself, being the best, getting score, beating the time. in the mass market they are transforming on a wide scale to appeal to more and more people, to be more accesible, thus easier, more film like, less game like.

on top of this we have now seen the training of the gameplaying audience to no longer respect longevity. films run for 120 minutes and its over. now games have full story writing personel, they become limited by their story combined with the watering down they have received in order to make more money. game players expect a game to come in yearly instalments to continue the story. it doesnt matter that they are using the same engine, same mechanics, nothing has changed. none of that matters ti these people. they want to buy another one to see what happens to their hero.

what im trying to say is bioshock is shit.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
You know what game I hope people still play 20 years from now?
Because it was full-face-fuck incredible, solidly designed from front to back, and contained copious amount of telekinetic bacon?

That desperately needs a sequel but for the very reason of multiplayer over solo may never get one?

PSYCHONAUTS.

The biggest non-M-rated video game mindfuck since ever.
I am the Milkman. My milk is delicious.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
You nailed it. At the same time, a lot of those older titles - Doom/Doom II come to mind - just feel like they had so much more heart, since the gameplay is still often more compelling than that of modern titles.

Anyone who hasn't seen this needs to watch it, it's perfect commentary on this subject:
IF QUAKE WERE MADE TODAY

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Bioshock was a wicked game. I love discussing it. What made it so incredible was how it introduced some totally fucked up enviornment, with an elusive yet deep and engaging story, all the while having that supported with a stellar cast and setting. The technical achievements (plasmids, tonics) the whole splicing thing all though out. Don't even get me started on: SPOILER. the WOULD YOU KINDLY PLOT twist. probably the second best plot twist in any media thing ever (following on the Star Wars Vader is Luke's father). I think what raised it to the level from great to flat out fucking insane was the little things. The graphic details. The little hint things. The architecture style resembling the time period. Don't even fucking get me started on Andrew Ryan, probably the greatest antagonist in a video game ever.

Bioshock 2 was good, not as good as one but the dual-wielding was FUCKING SICK!
Would you kindly was very shocking. Also, I know I said this already, but SANDER COHEN WAS AMAZING. The atmosphere and music in his level was awesome as well. "My little moth" lol

swag1

EX smash solves all
Would you kindly was very shocking. Also, I know I said this already, but SANDER COHEN WAS AMAZING. The atmosphere and music in his level was awesome as well. "My little moth" lol
Yeah I remember his character so well. Plus how you had to kill then photograph the people to get pictures of his "artwork" to get the crossbow.