What's new

Following up on the KTP: People WILL be playing Bioshock (and these other newgen games) in 20 years

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
Osu 16 Bit
Slips
K7L33THA

I think people WILL be playing Bioshock in 20 years.. Sander Cohen is one of the coolest characters ever introduced in a video game. I put this game in my top 5 in the PS3/360 generation with Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, God of War 3, and I'm not sure what else to include.. maybe MGS4.

Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 are are a cut above, though (haven't finished ME3 yet)
RE4 also top notch. As far as last gen, I havent played shadow of the collosus but I'm looking to eventually and I was hoping to get more hype so I play it sooner.

If I combined the 2 generations, which I think makes it more interesting from a single player perspective, I would say:

1. Metal Gear Solid (1 or 2, take your pick)
2. Mass Effect 2
3. Bioshock
4. Knights of the Old Republic
5. Uncharted 2

Honorable Mentions: Resident Evil 4, God of War 3

I haven't played portal 2.. does this belong in the discussion?

People should also play these games until the end of time
From SNES:

1. Chrono Trigger (The best game of all time. If I had to maintain the memory of playing one video game in my life time, it is this game).
2. Link to the Past
3. FF3
4. Super Metroid
5. Super Mario World
6. Super Mario RPG
7. Donkey Kong Country

I never played Earthbound or Secret of Mana.. Secret of Mana seemed like an inferior LTTP when I tried to play it.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I think Secret of Mana is the one of the best ARPGs ever made. The artwork is classic, the story is good, the score is epic, the gameplay is tight. I literally recently replayed it on an emulator over the past few months.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
I would like the add that Bioshock 2 is shit.

That is all.
Agreed.

Shadow of the Colossus deserves a very good mention. I could go into a five paragraph essay oputlining how epic is it is but i will spare my keyboard the trouble.

Noserfatu

My eyes! The goggles do nothing!
If one human being is stlll playing uncharted 2 in 2032 then we will have failed as a species.
I thought it was a great game but Uncharted 3 seems to be exactly the same and I couldn't finish it. Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 are worthy of playing in 20 years, but I don't disagree with you on Uncharted 2, even though it is in my top 5 for current gen.

Bioshock 2 was extremely disappointing.. completely different.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
God of war 3 was garbage!!
PS1 Classics:
Resident evil 2 & 3
Dino crisis 1 & 2
Parasite eve 2
Alone in the dark: The new nightmare
Vagrant story
Abes Odyssey & Exodus

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
God of war 3 was garbage!!
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

So the opposite of the truth, man. GOW3 was incredible.
Gameplay-wise, looks-wise, great campaign, epic story, left the door open for any possible GOW4 they can invent...
The scope of the the game itself, just the size of everything, felt enormous. The story was captivating from start to end.
The boss battles were all psychotic. Especially in Chaos Mode.
That FUCKING BOREAS SCORPION THAT DESTROYED MY FUCKING HOPES AND DREAMS AND MIND.
I HATED THAT FUCKING THING.
SDBJNSIBGNWEBNSBKLNWELHIWEJHOIEJHMLSKBDSMNBNED.

Then again, I'm a huge GOW fan, so I'm kind of biased.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele

Gameplay-wise, looks-wise, great campaign, epic story, left the door open for any possible GOW4 they can invent...
The scope of the the game itself, just the size of everything, felt enormous. The story was captivating from start to end.

I wouldn't say that they opened the door for a new game. I just don't see it. Everything was huge in that game. So worth getting your ass kicked a hundred thousand times.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
That FUCKING BOREAS SCORPION THAT DESTROYED MY FUCKING HOPES AND DREAMS AND MIND.
Lol the boreas scorpion.....that motherfucker was a pain in the ass on Chaos mode.

But that was easycakes compared to the Fire Ceberus when you go back down to the Three judges a second time. It was downright impossible. Exploding dogs in a 10x10 foot square space? And Satyrs? Nuh uh, no thanks, im going back to easy difficulty.

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"

I HATED THAT FUCKING THING.
SDBJNSIBGNWEBNSBKLNWELHIWEJHOIEJHMLSKBDSMNBNED.

God of war 1& 2 were amazing. Again... GOW3 was absolute GARBAGE!! Story was trash! I paid $60!!! $60!!! For a 10 hour game really? What a rip-off!! $60 dollars for cool graphics:rolleyes:
Oh and it was easy as hell too.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
I don't know if any of you here are REALLY old-school gamers, but there are some classics that were not on Nintendo or Playstation platforms that are still fun to mess around with today and, at the time, were incredible gaming achievements.

Anyone ever play Impossible Mission? That game redefined platformers forever. It STILL has tight gameplay and is quite difficult without being at all unfair. First game to feature fully randomized room orders, random placement of all objects you need, and randomly assigned AI for every enemy robot, for replayability that had never been seen before in a game. Add to that that the graphics were amazing - the animations for your guy were all rotoscoped from a real person - and it was the first game to impactfully use synthesized speech. God damn it what a great fucking game.

If people here haven't played it before, you should check it out. You can find it on emulators for C64 very easily.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
God of war 1& 2 were amazing. Again... GOW3 was absolute GARBAGE!! Story was trash! I paid $60!!! $60!!! For a 10 hour game really? What a rip-off!! $60 dollars for cool graphics:rolleyes:
Oh and it was easy as hell too.
Whaaaaaaaaaaat again? I mean, I'll give you that: it was a LOT easier to manage that 1 or 2, especially in Chaos Mode seeing as you got your regular output of Orbs...whereas in 2 it was DRASTICALLY cut, and in 1 you were more dependant on your Blades than anything, so as long as they were maxed out, you were square and Orbs didn't factor in as much.
But the story? I thought it was the best one yet. More complex, more intricate, more people and factors to take into consideration, Aphrodite (need I say more), Pandora, that poor fucker Daedalus...but I get it, though. I guess a lot of people were hoping it'd be taken in a less predictable direction, but for being predictable, I still thought it panned out great.
Triton.
And Athena.
God Of War 4.
Never once, never one time from GOW1 to the end of 3 do you ever hear or see a whiff of Triton.
After the events of Ghost Of Sparta, all the hints along the way of 3 that made it seem as though Poseidon had some sort of backup plan in place for Zeus going crazy, not to mention to giant question mark of who dragged him off the cliff back into the sea if Poseidon and all his minions are supposedly dead? The fucker's killed EVERYONE except Athena's spooky, ghostly ass (who's probably gonna require a return trip to Athens to be dealt with) and Aphrodite, who I cant see serving a purpose other than being delicious and lonely as hell as the sole surviving resident of Olympus. It HAS to be Triton. No one's left, let alone anyone who'd logically have a reason to hijack Kratos' just-dead body and pull it off a cliff into the sea.

Lol the boreas scorpion.....that motherfucker was a pain in the ass on Chaos mode.

But that was easycakes compared to the Fire Ceberus when you go back down to the Three judges a second time. It was downright impossible. Exploding dogs in a 10x10 foot square space? And Satyrs? Nuh uh, no thanks, im going back to easy difficulty.
There was a pattern to it. It was like a giant fucking combo loop; if you did it in the right order, threw the dog/Raged/dropped Army Of Sparta or the Nemean Cestus on the Satyrs, there was a way you could do it that you'd get out with almost minimal damage, but if you missed by a step, you were getting blown up, so it more or less turned into a battle of continuously getting back into the loop.
But no. I hated it too. FINALLY kill the fucking bug and then THAT happened...

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Also, 2 things:
One: Final Fantasy VII will never get old.

Two: Chrono Cross was better.

Yeah, I said it.

Bigger parties, more unique elementals and battle systems, EPIC story so complicated with time and space it could melt a stoner's mind, the 6 Dragons, FATE, Lynx and his fucking army of cats, Starky, Terra Tower, the replayability of running back through for super-leveling up and extra party members...one of THE best games I'll ever play in my life.

Donkey Kong Country 2 > DKC1 >DKC3.

I played more Killer Instinct than MK after it came out because I liked Ultras better than the Run button.

Ape Escape. Fucking Ape Escape.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
As far as this generation goes:

Single Player Games:

1)Fallout: New Vegas
2)Fallout 3
3)Bioshock
4)Bioshock 2
5)Alan Wake

Honorable mentions: Dead Space 1 and 2 , Crackdown 1 , Dead Island , Assassin's Creed 1 , 2 , BH and Revelations , Portal 1 and 2 , Super Meat Boy , The Binding Of Isaac , Megaman 9

Multiplayer Games:

1)Halo 3
2)Mortal Kombat 9(Like...seriously...c'mon)
3)Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare(As much as I hate CoD I have to say they are games that could have easily a lot of hours put into.)
4)Left 4 Dead 2
5)MineCraft(This game played with mods is really fun.Without it, it's still fun but not as much)

Honorable mentions: Left 4 Dead 1 , Soul Calibur V , Halo:Reach(even though it's just meh) , Terraria , Halo 3:ODST

swag1

EX smash solves all
Bioshock was a wicked game. I love discussing it. What made it so incredible was how it introduced some totally fucked up enviornment, with an elusive yet deep and engaging story, all the while having that supported with a stellar cast and setting. The technical achievements (plasmids, tonics) the whole splicing thing all though out. Don't even get me started on: SPOILER. the WOULD YOU KINDLY PLOT twist. probably the second best plot twist in any media thing ever (following on the Star Wars Vader is Luke's father). I think what raised it to the level from great to flat out fucking insane was the little things. The graphic details. The little hint things. The architecture style resembling the time period. Don't even fucking get me started on Andrew Ryan, probably the greatest antagonist in a video game ever.

Bioshock 2 was good, not as good as one but the dual-wielding was FUCKING SICK!

People won't be playing Bioshock 20 years from now. At least not in any meaningful amounts.

Granted, I'm a massive System Shock 2 fan, so it kills me when people rave about Bioshock when SS2 did everything it did (save for the elementary criticism of Objecitvism) 18 years earlier, so take what I say was a grain of salt, but I seriously doubt people will be playing it.

Bioshock's gameplay is trapped in a limbo between the hybrid RPG-FPS games of yore (System Shock, Deus Ex) and the modern, streamlined FPS experience, and it fails at delivering either in a satisfactory manner. The combat is slow and methodical, but resources are plentiful and there's no real penalty for dying outside of a small walk, which satisfies neither camp. And while I could be super reductive and just say that the story was just SHODAN in a pinstripe suite, I'm going to be super reductive and say the story was just SHODAN in a pinstripe suite.

Bioshock was only remarkable because the bar for single player content has steadily been moving downward. 20 years? Ask yourself how many people are going back and playing it now, a partly 5 yeas after the fact.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I nominate the entire Ratchet And Clank series for eternal replayability.
With "Deadlocked" being the #1 hit.

Am I wrong? How fucking fun are those games?

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
People won't be playing Bioshock 20 years from now. At least not in any meaningful amounts.

Granted, I'm a massive System Shock 2 fan, so it kills me when people rave about Bioshock when SS2 did everything it did (save for the elementary criticism of Objecitvism) 18 years earlier, so take what I say was a grain of salt, but I seriously doubt people will be playing it.

Bioshock's gameplay is trapped in a limbo between the hybrid RPG-FPS games of yore (System Shock, Deus Ex) and the modern, streamlined FPS experience, and it fails at delivering either in a satisfactory manner. The combat is slow and methodical, but resources are plentiful and there's no real penalty for dying outside of a small walk, which satisfies neither camp. And while I could be super reductive and just say that the story was just SHODAN in a pinstripe suite, I'm going to be super reductive and say the story was just SHODAN in a pinstripe suite.

Bioshock was only remarkable because the bar for single player content has steadily been moving downward. 20 years? Ask yourself how many people are going back and playing it now, a partly 5 yeas after the fact.
This. Sooooooo much this. Nowadays video games seem to focus on multiplayer content than single player...which is dumb seeing as how single player is what leads you up to multiplayer.

Look at that new Resident Evil game, Operation Raccoon city? Coulda been an awesome game, you get to play as the bad guys, trying to catch the good guys while killin zombies....but the gameplay was shit because the creators focused way to much on the multiplayer....which also turned out to be shit.

I have given up on all genres of video games except for fighting games, Japanese games and anything Blizzard makes.

I thought it was a great game but Uncharted 3 seems to be exactly the same and I couldn't finish it. Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 are worthy of playing in 20 years, but I don't disagree with you on Uncharted 2, even though it is in my top 5 for current gen.

Bioshock 2 was extremely disappointing.. completely different.
The gameplay in all the uncharted's are the same. It's definately not my thing. Great voice acting, great script, bores me to death when it isn't a cut scene lol. I'm on board with Mass Effect 2.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook

Good question. www.youtube.com/Nalif LOL he just did a Let's Play of both Bioshock 1 and 2.

I happily replayed them after watching him and I might just do the same for Alan Wake.