What's new

Breakthrough - Kano FINALLY, The Kano Community Speaks Up. Save Kano's Relevance With Needed Fixes And Reasonable Buffs

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
One flaw in your theory about people only wanting Kano to be top tier EZ winz is that none of the buffs/fixes in the OP would even make him top tier.

And low tier isn't as awful as it is in other games, but besides Goro and Reptile, who else is bottom 5?
I actually think, and this is slightly off topic but, the balance in this game is starting to get really good. Reptile is a character that is just funky and has whiffing stuff too I think, and Goro... I can't tell you, but I think a few changes here and there and he'll be fine.

Low tiers are a thing in fighting games, but to have viable low tiers is the best you can ask for in a game like this.

Error

DF2+R2
@RM_NINfan101 Goro lacks AAs and has a slow walk/run speed as far as I know and I agree, I don't mind if Kano (commando, I think CT and Cybernetic are mid) stays low tier if his shit at least functions properly because low tiers have the potential to still be decent, but random shit whiffing or just having less tools makes him feel incomplete.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
@Youphemism why the acceptance? I for one don't think it's ok that our char has shit priority on his specials and normals. I don't think it's ok that our key normals whif when they feel like it as you step on your opponents toes.

I admire your support of the character but come on man. He was most definitely not given some of the ridiculous things that much of the cast received, that are easier to use and work properly. Why should I not be pissed off about it when I see squandered potential? I don't see where any of us are asking for him to be braindead and provide a free ride, where is that coming from? It's just annoying being handicapped, how hard is that to understand? And please don't hang on someone doing well at a tourney with him as proof that "he's fine." We've been down that road and we all know it's one of the biggest bills around.

I'm going to continue to play him because as I stated a few days ago, he's a straight up loyalist character. Plus it'd be as waste if I quit now after all the hours dumped on him. I don't know why you're so unwilling to get on board with him getting some help that prob won't even change where he sits on the tier list that would make him more enjoyable and just all around better.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
@Youphemism why the acceptance? I for one don't think it's ok that our char has shit priority on his specials and normals. I don't think it's ok that our key normals whif when they feel like it as you step on your opponents toes.

I admire your support of the character but come on man. He was most definitely not given some of the ridiculous things that much of the cast received, that are easier to use and work properly. Why should I not be pissed off about it when I see squandered potential? I don't see where any of us are asking for him to be braindead and provide a free ride, where is that coming from? It's just annoying being handicapped, how hard is that to understand? And please don't hang on someone doing well at a tourney with him as proof that "he's fine." We've been down that road and we all know it's one of the biggest bills around.

I'm going to continue to play him because as I stated a few days ago, he's a straight up loyalist character. Plus it'd be as waste if I quit now after all the hours dumped on him. I don't know why you're so unwilling to get on board with him getting some help that prob won't even change where he sits on the tier list that would make him more enjoyable and just all around better.
Except he doesn't have shit priority on all of his specials and normals? I've had Up Ball beat out normals plenty of times, especially on wakeup, the video is kind of slanted in that it's showing it in one situation that it's going to be hard to do anything because jump attacks are so good in general. That's more jump attacks being great from up close than Up Ball being bad. 112 should be fixed though if they're supposed to be mids, that is a legit bug. What "key normals" whiff besides that?

Don't come on man me, he can play the game and he can win so what's the problem? He shouldn't have to be given ridiculous things, I'm sorry you want him to be easier to win with but if you'd rather go for easy win top tier characters then drop Kano because you're free to any time and he happens to be mid tier in this game. Constant complaining (unless it's about bugs) is ridiculous and has brought down the threads and general community morale. I continually talk about how he's a well-balanced mid tier character but noone else seems to agree, everyone's going on about how he should get buffs but why? What warrants it? He's not low tier and he doesn't get destroyed by everyone so what reason is there that legitimately warrants such buffs? And how is he "handicapped"?!

If you're going to continue playing him then why are you requesting that he be given "ridiculous things" and asking for buffs? If you like your character play him, if he needs bugs fixed then fix them but then play because there's nothing wrong with him he just happens to be lower tier than other characters and there's nothing wrong with that because someone has to be. That's just how fighting games work man.

I'm willing to help you get bug fixes but I'm not willing to help you cry for buffs and move him up because there are patches that you feel the Kano community could take advantage of just because others got buffed that were worse. Why not keep exploring, playing, levelling up instead of making threads like this one? Why not take advantage of the fact that playing a character that requires better fundamentals instead of braindead oh/low mixups will be more rewarding to win with and will improve your game in general? If you're in it for the competitiveness then you can still win with Kano it just requires more effort/brainpower, if you're complaining then it's only because you'd rather have an easy character to win with.

On the release day of the game I picked Kano to learn 1st like many of you as well. I have played the game religiously since then and learned much about most, if not all of the cast. Since the game's release I was prepared for the eventual buffing and nerfing of many things. Examples of this are, Kano's B1... loved how you could repeat this a few times on block and in juggles. Apparently it had to be fixed. In my opinion that hurt Cybernetics alot. But beyond that... the BnB combo in Cyber that does approximately 30% is definitely underpowered. I just watched a video in a guide for Demolition Sonya with all the stun grenades, and the ease of this combo to land is just a mind blower. Guess what.... it mostly gets started with an OVERHEAD. They took away the B1 we had, so give us an OVERHEAD like they gave Shinnok. Shinnok is getting picked alot now in this Tournament, and is also winning. All I want is the ability to select this character AND COMPETE with him again. Tired of losing to people at the select screen knowing full well I will not open them up for a combo if they just block low. These fixes and buffs are NEEDED.

This post is approved by your Local PS4 Black Dragon Leader and President, The Zodfather.

LOCO

DADDY BARAKA
at the start of thread

Lol. I mean for example in Cybernetic F4~DB1 completely whiffs on hit if it's done from max range or even if it's done up close I've had DB1 whiff on crouch blocking opponents. Also Cybernetics variation~specific launching strings (B132+4MB/B232+4MB) getting a damage buff is pretty much all he needs in that variation in my opinion.
Response to @dribirut about upplaying kano

Quote me this abundance of players that actually said that besides maybe Coach Steve who, you know, actually goes out and places.
I said quote, jesus christ...
And within the last few days I certainly have not said anything like that so stop making false claims and lying.
And now

He's one of the most well-balanced characters in the game as we've all pointed out before so what's the problem? If you're more focussed on easy wins instead of character loyalty then go play someone else and stop brining negativity to the forums. Meanwhile the Kano players that don't want buffs to win will continue doing what they do which includes winning matchups by exploring them and playing them and enjoying the character instead of arguably downplaying and crying.
ooo i can find so much more of your clown crap in the other threads if i wanted to waste my time

so i guess everybody who has an opinion of kano needing work is a bitch, so does that mean u r too for wanting a damage buff?

R u fucking bipolar? your shit is steady contradicting in every thread u post

Bottom line... B1, should be an OVERHEAD starter for Cybernetics AND Commando. Dont even get me started that Kotal Kahn gets a simpler input for his Sun Choke command grab. I would be all over Kano's command grabs being circle toward or circle away 4. Make them a dragon uppercut for all I care. But Commando aside, make B1 an OH please. Give the character some sort of fear like so many other characters have.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Bottom line... B1, should be an OVERHEAD starter for Cybernetics AND Commando. Dont even get me started that Kotal Kahn gets a simpler input for his Sun Choke command grab. I would be all over Kano's command grabs being circle toward or circle away 4. Make them a dragon uppercut for all I care. But Commando aside, make B1 an OH please. Give the character some sort of fear like so many other characters have.
Vanilla b1 an overhead? Hell no that would be overpowered as fuck lmao get outta here with that shit.

As has been mentioned before, the last hits of b3,1,2 and 2,f4 being overheads would be ok IMO.

haketh

Noob
Things like command grabs whiffing when theyre attacking will forever be a problem as long as NRS continues to use the same engine. They've been using Unreal Engine 3 since MK DC I believe. Probably to save money so they don't have to upgrade or build their own.
They were under contract to use it for a certain amount of time. MKX is the last game that has to use UE3.

VoyagersRevenge

AUGMENTED
B1 for cybernetics and commando can be left alone and NEVER BE AN OVERHEAD. However, Kano seems to have the tools to open up opponents without any overheads in his cyber and commando variations but I believe he lacks the pressure he deserves and he has some bugs. Unfortunately for many, Kano's design in this game seems to be meant for experienced players who enjoy learning EVERY character match up and learning characters advantages, footsies, reactions etc. Literally, an important reason why I've been able to win any tournaments is the fact that I've gone through ever character's shenanigans in the lab. Learn learn LEARN and Punish punish PUNISH is the game plan. Throws are 50/50's in this game.. Back on topic and probably repeated too often, it's not going to hurt the game at all if Kano gets the fixes he needs. Same goes for any characters who carry bugs or lack the potential their design was meant to have. This is the time to yell out and seek support for our characters and play the crap out of this game fishing out reasonable fixes. We all have opinions and it's always cool to agree and disagree but at least it's being discussed.

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
I'm not requesting anything ridiculous. I'm honestly about in line with the OP here, nothing more really. And I don't believe those
Except he doesn't have shit priority on all of his specials and normals? I've had Up Ball beat out normals plenty of times, especially on wakeup, the video is kind of slanted in that it's showing it in one situation that it's going to be hard to do anything because jump attacks are so good in general. That's more jump attacks being great from up close than Up Ball being bad. 112 should be fixed though if they're supposed to be mids, that is a legit bug. What "key normals" whiff besides that?

Don't come on man me, he can play the game and he can win so what's the problem? He shouldn't have to be given ridiculous things, I'm sorry you want him to be easier to win with but if you'd rather go for easy win top tier characters then drop Kano because you're free to any time and he happens to be mid tier in this game. Constant complaining (unless it's about bugs) is ridiculous and has brought down the threads and general community morale. I continually talk about how he's a well-balanced mid tier character but noone else seems to agree, everyone's going on about how he should get buffs but why? What warrants it? He's not low tier and he doesn't get destroyed by everyone so what reason is there that legitimately warrants such buffs? And how is he "handicapped"?!

If you're going to continue playing him then why are you requesting that he be given "ridiculous things" and asking for buffs? If you like your character play him, if he needs bugs fixed then fix them but then play because there's nothing wrong with him he just happens to be lower tier than other characters and there's nothing wrong with that because someone has to be. That's just how fighting games work man.

I'm willing to help you get bug fixes but I'm not willing to help you cry for buffs and move him up because there are patches that you feel the Kano community could take advantage of just because others got buffed that were worse. Why not keep exploring, playing, levelling up instead of making threads like this one? Why not take advantage of the fact that playing a character that requires better fundamentals instead of braindead oh/low mixups will be more rewarding to win with and will improve your game in general? If you're in it for the competitiveness then you can still win with Kano it just requires more effort/brainpower, if you're complaining then it's only because you'd rather have an easy character to win with.
Fair enough. Your standpoint is that he's good as is. Guess we have some differences of opinion. I think Dave said it best that he's an honest char in a dis honest FG. I don't think anything in the OP or that I've ever mentioned would make him ridiculous.

But let's face it, our boy is low tier at this time. Every "top player" that has put out a tier list has him in the bottom 10. Agree or not that's what people listen to and go by. I was watching the stream when pig talked about him briefly based off your question, which he gave a non answer btw. But I'm cool with that since he doesn't wanna give bad info. However, did you notice that he only has Kano better than 6 other chars?

Anyway I'm at the airport about to travel for a bit so im sure I'll have a lot to catch up on in the weeks to come. Good luck Kanos.

Edit. Had to fix some shit as I'm bad at forums on my phone. Also I recalled that pig said he honestly can't see CT or cyber getting any better. I think that's about right even with our proposals.

Last edited:

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
at the start of thread

And now

ooo i can find so much more of your clown crap in the other threads if i wanted to waste my time

so i guess everybody who has an opinion of kano needing work is a bitch, so does that mean u r too for wanting a damage buff?

No, you can't and you won't because you can't. A bug fix is necessary, unwarranted buffs are not. I said it was my opinion that a slight damage buff on his launching strings would make Cybernetic perfect, other people are asking for unnecessary buffs saying he does need them like it's fact. Get your shit straight before you make shit posts like that one.
I'm not requesting anything ridiculous. I'm honestly about in line with the OP here, nothing more really. And I don't believe those

Fair enough. Your standpoint is that he's good as is. Guess we have some differences of opinion. I think Dave said it best that he's an honest char in a dis honest FG. I don't think anything in the OP or that I've ever mentioned would make him ridiculous.

But let's face it, our boy is low tier at this time. Every "top player" that has put out a tier list has him in the bottom 10. Agree or not that's what people listen to and go by. I was watching the stream when pig talked about him briefly based off your question, which he gave a non answer btw. But I'm cool with that since he doesn't wanna give bad info. However, did you notice that he only has Kano better than 6 other chars?

Anyway I'm at the airport about to travel for a bit so im sure I'll have a lot to catch up on in the weeks to come. Good luck Kanos.

Edit. Had to fix some shit as I'm bad at forums on my phone. Also I recalled that pig said he honestly can't see CT or cyber getting any better. I think that's about right even with our proposals.
Dude he is not low tier, he's mid tier. If he were low tier he'd have tons of losing matchups and wouldn't be able to compete with the rest of the top tiers or even just the cast yet he doesn't have that many losing matchups and can compete with the top tiers/cast. Bottom 10 does not mean low tier, it just means other characters are more powerful. Goro is worse, Kitana, Takeda, etc. Kano isn't them.

I can understand why you guys might feel like he's lacking but here's how it is: if you want a character that gives you easier wins then don't play Kano. If you want to play Kano don't complain about anything that isn't bugs because you're choosing to play Kano and noone wants to deal with the negativity of complaining and crying for buffs. It's what we were avoiding and criticising other communities for and now it's spread to us just because patches are there and you guys want him buffed. If he gets them then fine but that's NRS' decision in the end so crying or not it's not up to us. Paulo reads these forums anyway.

Plus you forget about my theory, Sub Zero, Kano and Jax are targets in the next patch :p

Vanilla b1 an overhead? Hell no that would be overpowered as fuck lmao get outta here with that shit.

As has been mentioned before, the last hits of b3,1,2 and 2,f4 being overheads would be ok IMO.
Is Erron Black's F1,3 OVERHEAD/LOW overpowered then by your logic? Or Jason's F4,2 LOW/OVERHEAD? Making this one basic change would give people fear into how and what to block just like these other characters. If you wanna argue B1, ok the argument is out there. Why not F2 then? The character needs a way to break someone open that is low blocking every string you perform. They actually created an Overhead stand alone move in B3 for Shinnok, and overnight people were loving the character that was once considered not even worth unlocking from story mode completion. Every dangerous top character makes you deal with OVERHEADS, but this character in 1 of 3 variations has 1 OH that you actually need to be almost touching your opponent to hit detect. So LMAO get outta here with that shit right back at ya.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
Is Erron Black's F1,3 OVERHEAD/LOW overpowered then by your logic? Or Jason's F4,2 LOW/OVERHEAD? Making this one basic change would give people fear into how and what to block just like these other characters. If you wanna argue B1, ok the argument is out there. Why not F2 then? The character needs a way to break someone open that is low blocking every string you perform. They actually created an Overhead stand alone move in B3 for Shinnok, and overnight people were loving the character that was once considered not even worth unlocking from story mode completion. Every dangerous top character makes you deal with OVERHEADS, but this character in 1 of 3 variations has 1 OH that you actually need to be almost touching your opponent to hit detect. So LMAO get outta here with that shit right back at ya.
b1 is one of the best mids in the game as it is at 9 frames and decent range, great for anti-airing as well. Changing the hit level to overhead would make that move broken. If it's start-up were to be slowed down then Kano would lose a valuable AA and poking tool. Cybernetic Kano is supposed to dictate the pace of the match, when played properly Cyber Kano doesn't have to deal with the opponents 50/50's. Cyber Kano doesn't have f2 so I assume you are talking about b2, but b2 being an overhead... nah still OP. If the opponent empty jumps a knife from near full screen they have to block a b2, it would give Kano complete control of the match while forcing the opponent to deal with a 50/50 by simply throwing knives.

Those comparisons are whack anyway. Slasher Jason's f4,2 is garbage, uncancellable and unsafe. Jason needs to get close to get anything going, same with EB. If you block EB's f1,3 you can punish it with armor and the only way for him to prevent that is to finish the string into the 2 which does 7%, knocks down, is uncancellable and can be punished by some characters anyway. Shinnok was generally unsafe, with unsafe strings and unsafe zoning, he definitely needed an unseeable overhead to open up opponents. Shinnok's overhead wasn't created from scratch, it's a move he always had in his corrupted boss form... Aaaand comparing anyone to Erron Black makes everyone look bad, that character has too many tools at his disposal.

Cyber Kano is extremely safe, does good chip, builds meter well and controls the pace of the match, just changing any of his strings into an overhead starter would make him overpowered. Cyber Kano's close range mix-up is staggered strings into throws and using armor to blow through counterpokes. Unfortunately the game is very 50/50 heavy and Cyber Kano's design is not really relevant to the general meta of MK X.

Smoke_Of_Finland

Believe in the hop kick
I don't see any of the suggested changes in the OP being anything but reasonable requests. Ball attacks having no priority is definitely something that needs to be addressed. In MK9 I never got hit out of upball with jump kicks and punches when using it as an AA (online!). Why does the move have to be less reliable as an AA in MK X now at certain ranges, (offline mind you)? With the absence of vanilla b1 in Cutthroat Kano's AA options are reduced to the following situations:

Opponent jumps too close - they are within range to be hit by upball before the highest point of their jump, allowing for a reliable upball AA.
Opponent jumps too far away - walk back to make the jump attack whiff, then full combo punish with f2 as they land.
Opponent spaces their jump in perfectly - wait in crouch block or neutral crouch (not an option against divekickers) before uppercutting them at the last possible time, many times even uppercut will still trade with the jump attack, giving you whopping 7% damage advantage from the trade. Damn, I sure showed him, maybe now he will stop jumping so I can try to play the game on the ground, where my character doesn't suck and I dunno, god forbid, initiate offence without having to worry about getting tagged by random range 2 NJP's or whiffing a string when my opponent is majestically soaring over the skies, landing on the opposite side of me, maybe even punishing me for a full combo, just because his character can jump, with little to no repercussions, no fucks given... But seriously, punishing jumps reliably is crucial for Kano's gameplan.

What other options do I have besides uppercut for this godly spaced jump-in that took an extraordinary amount of skill to space properly? Jump back air ball for a potential 9% into no oki and maybe even get hit out of the air ball? Jab to get full comboed? Walk back to sweep or low profile with d4 xx special cancel at a distance where it's no longer possible? Pre-emptive jump at my opponent to win an air-to-air trade with Kanos shitty jump attacks or YOLO air ball if you see them trying to walk back to evade your jump-in? Pre -emptive neutral jump to NJP? Kano's NJP doesn't even AA crossovers reliably ON A READ, opponents will go through it lol... a fundamental aspect of MK9 that did not carry over to MK X (NJP beats crossover jump every time in MK9). And mind you cyber/commando b1 still gets beat out by the better jump attacks in the game when the jump is properly spaced. My opponent only has to choose 1 option, the best jump attack at his disposal, moves that stay active for almost one third of a second, limbs out in front of the character, plenty of priority. If he beats me out he gets his heaviest damaging juggle. With upball I get 10% into a neutral knockdown that doesn't give oki, uppercut is a neutral KD as well. Lots of characters can convert into full combos if they hit Kano out of upball in the air.

The risk/reward of jumping is heavily in favour of the player doing the jumping. If you are Kung Jin, Kung Lao, Sonya, Scorpion, Quan Chi, Kitana or even Kotal, Ferra/Torr or Takeda. There is no reason not to either forward jump or fish for NJP's. Kano is gonna hit you out of the air for non-existent damage where as if you hit Kano, you get a fuckload of damage into all sorts of braindead offensive options.

Kano's specials are used for zoning/punishment and to extend combos. CT and Commando knives are supposed to keep the opponent in check, on the ground and duckwalking, mid-range Kanoball or bladeslice will hit people who don't duckwalk properly, Kanoball works as a punisher as well, air ball is a primarily a counter zoning tool but also works as a weak aerial mix-up and upball is supposed to be a an AA and a punisher. Right now upball isn't doing what it's supposed to do. I don't believe that the buff from 7 frames of start-up in MK9 to MK X's start-up of 6 frames warrants the move to become unreliable as an AA and have shit priority. Kung Lao still has his spin even though it's up from 6 frames to 7 in MKX. There are other characters as well that will murder you far more effectively for jumping than Kano.

Is it really too much to ask for Kano's upball to AA everything every single time? Ez-mode AA that does 10%, gives no oki and works 100% of the time? All properly working special moves with every damn character command respect, they are options you have to be aware that the opposing character has and you have to be aware of them 100% of the time, you disregard your opponents option to use their specials too many times, they will hit you with them, as simple as that. Why is upball an exception to this rule? Why is upball a fucking joke? AA laser is also useless as it is. A move designed exclusively for AA'ing and it is useless. Kotal got his AA throw fixed didn't he? Why can't we have ball attacks and AA laser fixed?

So sick of the up-playing. The dude needs help in all variations. Commando the most with Cybernetics almost at a dead heat. I'm down for all the fixes...just give him some form of an OH and he will compete again. You say B1 would be OP, then make B1, 3 be the OH. The kick after B1 would be an awesome can opener. This keeps ppl honest when having to deal with the low starting B3,1,2 string.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Requests for an (improved) overhead are wishful thinking. I would be surprised if Cutthroat b+1's range were extended. Likewise, I would be even more surprised if Cybernetic ever received an overhead, even a non-launching one like Kitana's b+2. Vanilla Shinnok received one because he was most likely an unfinished character. Besides, b+3 is the last of 1,1,2,3, which has always been in the game as far as I know.

Realistically speaking, Cybernetic Kano may receive an improved up laser and more block frame advantage on EX knife toss. With these theoretical changes, he would be a better character but still nowhere near top tier. So if you are a tournament player who intends to place well and make some money, this character has nothing in store for you. I can think of a couple of other characters who almost zone as well as Cybernetic Kano does, yet they are not offensively challenged.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW

lol you're soo stubborn. You're hopeless

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
at the start of thread

And now

Don't bother man.. Really.. Believe me

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
at the start of thread

And now

Don't bother man.. Really.. Believe me