What's new

Ermac General Discussion Thread

LockM

Noob
If i'm going to do B1,2,F1>teleport>lift>dash>B1,2,F1>dash>push it is of a punish, very easy combo, however i think B1,2,F1 is highly unsafe(not tested, but look that last hit...)
Also i think B1,1,4 is just overall a better choice, safe on block, very easy to hitconfirm with, opens the way for his most damaging combo's, and you can use the EX Lift after this string, so damage scaling is pretty decent, and instead of finishing with only 2 xx push you can do 2,2 xx push.

Even better is with the EX lift is you can do 2 teleport kicks more easily and if you have the excecution end it with his D1 xx Push or less damage but far more easy D1 xx Lift.
AND you can end the combo with an X-ray...which you cannot do with B1,2,F1...unless you cut the combo short.

The only time i use B1,2,1 is if i want to be a bit flashy, or i kick someone in the air.
J4 xx teleport>j4 xx teleport, D1 xx lift> B1,2,F1>dash>Push.

B1,2,1 loses in almost every way to B1,1,4, but it's still fun to use though:bigsmile:

If i'm going to do B1,2,F1>teleport>lift>dash>B1,2,F1>dash>push it is of a punish, very easy combo, however i think B1,2,F1 is highly unsafe(not tested, but look that last hit...)
Also i think B1,1,4 is just overall a better choice, safe on block, very easy to hitconfirm with, opens the way for his most damaging combo's, and you can use the EX Lift after this string, so damage scaling is pretty decent, and instead of finishing with only 2 xx push you can do 2,2 xx push.

Even better is with the EX lift is you can do 2 teleport kicks more easily and if you have the excecution end it with his D1 xx Push or less damage but far more easy D1 xx Lift.
AND you can end the combo with an X-ray...which you cannot do with B1,2,F1...unless you cut the combo short.

The only time i use B1,2,1 is if i want to be a bit flashy, or i kick someone in the air.
J4 xx teleport>j4 xx teleport, D1 xx lift> B1,2,F1>dash>Push.

B1,2,1 loses in almost every way to B1,1,4, but it's still fun to use though:bigsmile:
That's a good point about whether the string is safe or not. I think you're right that the last hit probably isn't, but the first hit is so long that it's easy to hit confirm. And yeah, anything starting with b1 is either going to be a punish or off a jump-in punch.

I'll have to test, but I'd say it's highly likely that all that ex lift stuff works with either string. And for x-ray, all you have to do in the combo I suggested is change the final b1, 2, f1 to b2, b1, x-ray and it works fine.

Thanks for giving input, though. Gives me some other things to test and consider.

Anyone know any more about whether the teleport cancels projectiles like I said?

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
1. Does that mean that it doesn't (negate projectiles), or just that if it does you've never noticed it.
From experience it doesnt. I've seen many instances when the animation for my tele starts and I get hit with a projectile at the same time and it knocks me down.
I remember it because i always end up cursing the slowness of the teleport lol

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Yeah, I don't like that jump in B+1, 1, 4 etc, it's good damage but often whiffs too much online...therefore I play it safe and go for the jump in 1, 3, 1, throws and poke mix ups. Especially for blockers...this works great and once you get the combo you're talking anywhere from 33%-41% non-xray, and no bars or one or two bars. 50%+with x-ray :)

Ulturas

Noob
Because I'm still new to Ermac I personally have found a lot of his strings are unsafe online the only one that really isn't is what MKF30 mentioned above, one of my friends plays a Cyber Sub and he beats me almost every time unless I zone like crazy I can't really react to Cyber Subs 34 slide mixup because you low block you take another 34, best thing I found was poking onto telelift to stop him getting the slide off. I do try to Air Punish as much as possible but I'm very inconsistent with Cyber Sub -_- because he has dive kick/teleport low/medium mixups I'm actually finding it tough to beat him consistently. Any tips anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated, I go around 50/50 against Cyber Sub but that's if I zone as much as possible. The only character I've found that can consistently stop Cyber subs rushdown for me is Rain because Rain's 43 is faster then Cyber Subs 34 and yea my friend has over 1500 wins and 400 losses under his belt being another thing lol...

MKF30

Yeah, that's why I love that combo :) it's safe on and offline. May not be as damaging as his B+1, 1, 4 into TKS but it's easier, safer and easier to pull very good damaging combos regardless if you get the jump ins with it into TKS :)

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Does anyone have a link to some Ermac Combo vids. Also advance gameplay with ermac? Id like to see what experienced players do in a close fight im aware of his f+4 stagger move and I want to see it used. I realize he is a zoning character and to me is one of the most difficult people to get close to. His corner pressure is ridiculously good. Im thinking about trying him out. He is by far the character I have the most trouble with so if it turns out his play-style don't fit me at least im more knowledgeable on the matchup.

On a side note im having trouble turning off shark week to play mortal kombat but I really want to give ermac a try soon lol.

MKF30

I always use his stagger F+4 move, it's GREAT for rush down 50/50's and putting on pressure with Ermac. It's his best tool up close honestly.

In terms of getting near a good Ermac is tough, you just have to honestly guess right and block, dash, repeat and jump when it's right to jump. I'd recommend using a teleporter of some kind against Ermac since people without one will not win that match up most of the time if they're facing a good Ermac player.

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Never played Ermac but was fooling around with him in training mode and I've always wondered about something. Off of cancelling his unblockable doesn't that give Ermac the fastest backdash in game? so bb 2~ bb2~ bb2~ etc

Now the main disadvantage is you can't block immediately afterwards but you can duck and still attack and do specials like push. So is there any point in doing this or is it completely wothless?

TrickyNick

Weather Man
I always use his stagger F+4 move, it's GREAT for rush down 50/50's and putting on pressure with Ermac. It's his best tool up close honestly.

In terms of getting near a good Ermac is tough, you just have to honestly guess right and block, dash, repeat and jump when it's right to jump. I'd recommend using a teleporter of some kind against Ermac since people without one will not win that match up most of the time if they're facing a good Ermac player.
Yea the few times I managed to play you that F+4 string caught me off guard. We need to have a go again sometime maybe I can learn a few things by playing your ermac.

If you guess wrong your sent back to full screen having to dash block again lol. Very annoying but effective strategy to deal with.

Ulturas

Noob
Thing being you try to predict the F4 then you get a B2 because you open up after it lol. It's actually pretty brilliant up close and most people don't expect the B2 after so they always open up then it gives you a lot of distance again to zone which is what Ermac is excellent at.

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Yea i agree F4 is a great mix up move. I was messing around with it today and it can be used as a reset during combos but im not so sure its such a valid strategy. A 43% combo brought down to a 34% but leaves them standing. Also I know ermac is more of a zoner and im not so sure you would want to reset the opponent as opposed to sending them flying with a force push end a combo. What is everyones thoughts on the reset?

Ulturas

Noob
Yea i agree F4 is a great mix up move. I was messing around with it today and it can be used as a reset during combos but im not so sure its such a valid strategy. A 43% combo brought down to a 34% but leaves them standing. Also I know ermac is more of a zoner and im not so sure you would want to reset the opponent as opposed to sending them flying with a force push end a combo. What is everyones thoughts on the reset?
Personally I don't find it useful to end a combo with purely because there are not many characters that can do a full screen wakeup punish and every Ermac combo I do is always going to end with a Force Push just to add more zoning. I find it great for getting people off your case because Ermac doesn't have many safe strings online and whilst F4 can be punished adding the B2 gives you more distance between you and your opponent which is pretty much what you want with Ermac.

This is the string I use online, it's safer than any other combo and it's the combo MKF30 mentioned before my post lol, you can also throw after 31, if they're blocking, but it's rather tricky sometimes if they're poking.

MKF30

Yea the few times I managed to play you that F+4 string caught me off guard. We need to have a go again sometime maybe I can learn a few things by playing your ermac.

If you guess wrong your sent back to full screen having to dash block again lol. Very annoying but effective strategy to deal with.
Yeah, it does come out fast which is good for Ermac lol. That's why I mix it up with throws, overheads etc to keep my foes honest.

The reset is very good if used sparingly and you go for the jump-in punch 312 loop, grab, or even b2 mix up. If you hit the jump in 1,312 and they block the second jump in punch giving you a grab it does a surprising amount of damage overall. Around 27-29% including the tiny chip damage from the second jump in punch. Not only would it end up giving your total "spree" (combo + jump in shenanigans) giant overall damage its applying pressure and makes that next successful TKP back to zoning mode all the more infuriating. If you land this once you're probably going to get the chance to do a fully charged b2 next time around.

Worst case scenario if they block the first jump in punch after standing reset you could do the b114 pushing them back instead of a throw. 9 times out of ten they try to dash in giving you a TKP which with chip damage means its about 15-16% damage which is still better in total.

Of course the key word is sparingly and this works better if you are making good reads. If they are really good with reactions with anti air or get away specials like nomad dash, its a bit riskier, but the advantage is that you don't do it enough for them to expect it or even know that ermac has that option, which means they might be ready to do something completely different before they realize they're standing.

MKF30

Another thing people rarely do with Ermac I've noticed that's great besides the F+4 mix up 50/50 after it, is you get a free jump in after his enhanced TKP, I do it all the time and people don't know what I'm going to do hehe :)

TrickyNick

Weather Man
Another thing people rarely do with Ermac I've noticed that's great besides the F+4 mix up 50/50 after it, is you get a free jump in after his enhanced TKP, I do it all the time and people don't know what I'm going to do hehe :)
Wow thanks good thing to know.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok guys. I was in the lab last night with Ermac and found something that I did not know and wanted to know if you guys knew about this. Ermac's f4 will prevent a wake-up attack at the end of any combo. F4 also gives Ermac advantage on hit. This is an excellent way to end combos, not only are you stuffing their wake-up attack but you are also left at advantage. You have enough advantage here that you can almost get a safe jump. If this is old news please let me know and if not take it in the lab to find your own combos. The only disadvantage I can really see ending combos with the f4 is the damage reduction compared to ending combos in a traditional style. Thats just my opinion. I think it is legit, but am I on to something here or is this just hogwash?
Let me know what you guys think???

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
I did not see you posted that. It does prevent the wake-up attack which is good, but like I said the damage reduction is significant.

zaf

professor
if you want to end a combo with a reset, do it like this. i tested this in the lab and have been using it a while. it adds a few more % and makes the reset very worth while as the new ermac BNB imo.

Normal ermac combo = 3,1~TKS Jump kick teleport, 2,2 tkp

Normal Reset = 3,1~TKS Jump kick teleport, F4

My reset = 3,1~TKS Jump kick teleport dash 3,1 dash F4
if this is too hard for you, use this one

3,1~TKS Jump kick teleport dash 2 dash F4

Yes, just how you can end the combo with 3,1 TKP, you can also end in 3,1 F4.

This gives you a free jump in punch, and even with the grab, it would be more damage then just doing the TKP at the end.

mkf30, i have been using the ex tkp for a while now. I like to do it when i know i can still do a few things to make back some meter to have for breaker.
something im sure most ermacs do not use is his d1 poke. it is his faster move. it comes out on frame 6. you've no idea how many windows this opens

I've also noticed that compared to a lot of characters, ermac builds meter quite slowly. So i do use the ex tkp sparingly, as breaker is so much more important.

MKF30

His D+1 poke is actually quite useful I've found against KL's up close it can back him off if he goes for the high string, but otherwise I use his D+4 as it has more range if I'm going to poke someone.

But yeah his enhanced TKP has a few benefits, not only more damage but allows for a free jump in being as how it plants his foes to the ground and they can't wake up roll out of it. I usually use his X-ray or save two for breakers, depending on how the match is going...because if I nail a 50%+ x-ray combo, chances are I'll take that round.