What's new

End of 2015 MKX Tier list - UK Edition

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
I listened to the whole thing anticipating a good Ferra Torr discussion, and when I got there, it was basically, "They're kinda like Goro but different, and I'm not sure which one is Ferra. On to Jacqui!"

I'm not qualified to agree or disagree on the rankings, but I'm interested to know what you think F/T needs to move up.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I actually feel like this list wasn't controversial ENOUGH.

Like Quan Chi. He's powerful, but he has a major weakness. That shouldn't make him S+. True, Warlock mitigates this weakness but you sacrifice a lot when you play Warlock over Summoner or Sorcerer. Meanwhile Goro is also a very good character who has one major weakness, but he gets put in B tier? I'm not saying Goro's as good as Quan, but they over-emphasize his weakness and under-emphasize Quan's. If S+ is supposed to be for strong characters with no glaring weaknesses then Quan Chi just doesn't belong there.

I think this list is more accurate than most tier lists but I still feel like too many compromises were made. There needs to be better agreement as to what the rankings really mean.
Such as?

Krabman

Noob
I listened to the whole thing anticipating a good Ferra Torr discussion, and when I got there, it was basically, "They're kinda like Goro but different, and I'm not sure which one is Ferra. On to Jacqui!"

I'm not qualified to agree or disagree on the rankings, but I'm interested to know what you think F/T needs to move up.
They had no idea lol but ruthless, I think, has a lot of potential.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Slightly off-topic question about tier lists: Why are some of them (like this one) made with the character as a whole and not variation-specific? I don't understand because it's not as if you can play multiple variations at once so when speaking of match-up it's variation vs variation not character vs character as a whole.

I feel that it becomes inaccurate because let's say a new player wants to learn this game using this tier list as a reference, if they want to pick let's say an A or A+ character like let's say Kung Jin, how would they know if what makes Kung Jin A tier is because of only a single variation or multiple variations working with each other?

For some characters, the variation choice is pretty obvious but it's not always the case.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Slightly off-topic question about tier lists: Why are some of them (like this one) made with the character as a whole and not variation-specific? I don't understand because it's not as if you can play multiple variations at once so when speaking of match-up it's variation vs variation not character vs character as a whole.

I feel that it becomes inaccurate because let's say a new player wants to learn this game using this tier list as a reference, if they want to pick let's say an A or A+ character like let's say Kung Jin, how would they know if what makes Kung Jin A tier is because of only a single variation or multiple variations working with each other?

For some characters, the variation choice is pretty obvious but it's not always the case.
I think they are grouped together because of how much utility the character has overall

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
worth mentioning:

To prevent maybe more people questioning the jax, sonya and tremor placement, we mentioned multiple times and even in the description of this thread that Tremor could be S+, Jax could be S and sonya could be A+.

I personally still think KJ is a solid character, but I'm a firm believer that it's more the player making the character work rather than the character doing any form of carrying, hence the well rounded tier placement IMO. You don't lose to Kung Jin and say to yourself "that's Kung Jin for you".

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
That's a good list, plus I like how you guys give good reasons for each character's placement. Here is hoping NRS gives Raiden some love in 2016! I want to see him represented more in tournaments. Happy New Year everyone! 2015 has been really good for MK. I personally consider MKX one of the best games in the whole series, definitely top 5. The Variations system is a great idea which brought depth and replay ability to the game and there were some really hype tournament moments this year too. Looking forward to a lot more MK goodness in 2016!

I think it's a good list, but all these characters haven't been played to their full potential. Except for Jason. He definitely needs buffs.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
I think they are grouped together because of how much utility the character has overall
Yea but my point is to what use is that knowledge if you're restricted to 1 variation while playing anyway.

Like how does a new player know if he/she's to play a character to stick with 1 variation or to use multiple ones?

It'd be more specific to say "This variation is S+ and the other 2 are A" then the new player would know what to focus on and how to approach broadening their character knowledge.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yea but my point is to what use is that knowledge if you're restricted to 1 variation while playing anyway.

Like how does a new player know if he/she's to play a character to stick with 1 variation or to use multiple ones?

It'd be more specific to say "This variation is S+ and the other 2 are A" then the new player would know what to focus on and how to approach broadening their character knowledge.
Well it's like when discussing how good a character is like, let's say Kotal Kahn. It doesnt matter how bad Sun God loses to Sub-Zero, because the KK player would opt for War God. Like Kung Lao is S+ purely because of Temest so it doesn't matter that the other two suck. But Quan is different because Sorcerer and Summoner don't cover everything, but Warlock can cover his ass in some tricky matchups. They work differently in that way, but the result is the same. Its obvious which variations are better than others, but the bad ones don't bring the others down.

Robotic

Gentleman.
The scene up there is too small to have an accurate tier list.
Interesting take. Here's another: The pro players amount to less than .001 percent of the MK playing population, making their tier lists extremely out of touch with the masses.

Wisdom is knowing this and still knowing both of us should be laughed out of this thread.

gam224

The world's least hype player
Interesting take. Here's another: The pro players amount to less than .001 percent of the MK playing population, making their tier lists extremely out of touch with the masses.

Wisdom is knowing this and still knowing both of us should be laughed out of this thread.
You don't need to be a pro to know a character better than someone decent. You can be knowledgable and unskilled and vice versa.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Well it's like when discussing how good a character is like, let's say Kotal Kahn. It doesnt matter how bad Sun God loses to Sub-Zero, because the KK player would opt for War God. Like Kung Lao is S+ purely because of Temest so it doesn't matter that the other two suck. But Quan is different because Sorcerer and Summoner don't cover everything, but Warlock can cover his ass in some tricky matchups. They work differently in that way, but the result is the same. Its obvious which variations are better than others, but the bad ones don't bring the others down.
But the thing is, a "character" isn't actually a character. It's composed of 3 characters because of the variation system.

It's like making an MK9 tier list and grouping Kabal, Cyrax and Kenshi all as one character and calling him S+ tier.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
But the thing is, a "character" isn't actually a character. It's composed of 3 characters because of the variation system.

It's like making an MK9 tier list and grouping Kabal, Cyrax and Kenshi all as one character and calling him S+ tier.
It wouldn't really alter the tier list though, it would just be bigger ya know?

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
It wouldn't really alter the tier list though, it would just be bigger ya know?
It would be more accurate. Could you say that Pyromancer is on the same tier as Kobu Jutsu? Could you say that Dualist is on the same tier as Dragon's Fire?

Yea there will be characters like Reptile who will have all variations cramped together because there isn't much change between them but that wouldn't be the majority.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It would be more accurate. Could you say that Pyromancer is on the same tier as Kobu Jutsu? Could you say that Dualist is on the same tier as Dragon's Fire?

Yea there will be characters like Reptile who will have all variations cramped together because there isn't much change between them but that wouldn't be the majority.
Well I'd say deceptive is the only variation of reptile that could be considered A+, but yeah I know what you mean. The game isn't really old enough for 87 variations to be in an accurate list. But knock it down to 29 character keeping only their useful variations in mind? That's more realistic at this point in the game imo.

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
Is this a match-up based tier list?

If so, is the implication then that everyone in A+ tier have the same amount of winning/losing match ups?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
I'll only comment on characters I know so here goes

Liu Kang is fine
Kano is a bit high
D'vorah is low
Erron Black is definitely low
Johnny Cage might be a bit high
Jax might be low.
Raiden is low.