What's new

EGLDallas10K Apology and Final Thoughts from the Owner

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
Seems like an understandable, sincere apology. But it doesn't sound like you are planning to finish paying out the top 3, which is unfortunate.

EGL will always have a bad rep\name for this, the best thing you can do to fix it is at least finish paying out the players that didn't get 100% of their winnings.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Its unfortunate this happened but there is no point trying to get money from it now. The guy is bankrupt and had to close egl all together so he actually lost way more then anyone who went to the tournament and is owed money did.

Move on and let's hope nothing like this happens again.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
"The only thing we can learn from here is that TO's, when any amount of money is involved, make sure to get it in writing"

Jesus man, how is this not step 1? ^^^

Not trying to beat a man while he's Down but this is common sense, and especially for someone who apparently owned a business. People who make statements like this of compete amazement end up in bankruptcy. I'm flabbergasted big time this isn't like a common sense tactic despite the success of your previous "verbal agreements"

Verbal agreements are called luck. Thanks for posting but doesn't help the people not paid sleep better.

Seems like an understandable, sincere apology. But it doesn't sound like you are planning to finish paying out the top 3, which is unfortunate.

EGL will always have a bad rep\name for this, the best thing you can do to fix it is at least finish paying out the players that didn't get 100% of their winnings.
If we had the money we would, but it all went to lawyer fees, breakage of our lease, final taxes, final payment of staff, etc. We were a small business, we just didn't have the funds.

If i had the money, I would have paid out AND kept my business open. But i couldn't do either.

The Celebrity

Professional Googler

Well considering he's already had to file bankruptcy for EGL and close it down entirely... I don't think a bad name is going to tarnish a company that no longer exists. Also, that would be a lot of money to pay out of pocket when he's already declared bankruptcy and lost his entire business. Nobody wins in this... except Verizon.

Pig Of The Hut

Well considering he's already had to file bankruptcy for EGL and close it down entirely... I don't think a bad name is going to tarnish a company that no longer exists. Also, that would be a lot of money to pay out of pocket when he's already declared bankruptcy and lost his entire business. Nobody wins in this... except Verizon.
Don't put this on a company that promised nothing legally

They're #1 for a reason

"The only thing we can learn from here is that TO's, when any amount of money is involved, make sure to get it in writing"

Jesus man, how is this not step 1? ^^^

Not trying to beat a man while he's Down but this is common sense, and especially for someone who apparently owned a business. People who make statements like this of compete amazement end up in bankruptcy. I'm flabbergasted big time this isn't like a common sense tactic despite the success of your previous "verbal agreements"

Verbal agreements are called luck. Thanks for posting but doesn't help the people not paid sleep better.
I don't really want to turn this into an argument match. I admitted that I made a huge business mistake. And i have dealt with contracts on a regular basis. And now we are all suffering the consequences.

The only thing I can say is that when a major multi billion dollar company approached me and wanted to partner up, I got a bit star stuck and forgot the basics. Why would i need a contract. It's Verizon right? You would also have thought that if a contract was needed their lawyers would have written one up. Convenient for them that they didnt dont you think?

I am trusting by nature. And got burned. And people got paid, just not the full promised amount. And for that I am extremely sorry.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I hate when these TO's fly out players like Justin Wong and KBrad to make their event seem more competitive. Those players are already sponsored and don't need free flights/hotel/food/entry fee. If the event was worth going to, these players would get their sponsors to send them anyway. That money would have been better spent on production and payouts.

I hate when these TO's fly out players like Justin Wong and KBrad to make their event seem more competitive. Those players are already sponsored and don't need free flights/hotel/food/entry fee. If the event was worth going to, these players would get their sponsors to send them anyway. That money would have been better spent on production and payouts.

I agree, but also for a new event to get more attention, its sometimes a necessary evil. and EG wouldnt pay for a non capcom pro event, or so i was told anyways.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
I agree, but also for a new event to get more attention, its sometimes a necessary evil. and EG wouldnt pay for a non capcom pro event, or so i was told anyways.
It's not a necessary evil, it's a shortcut. You paid for 5 nights of hotel for a 2 day event for Knuckle DU, who is sponsored by HTC. Why? How many more people would have to enter for you to cover that cost? TO's should stop doing this. I would suggest what Pig has done with the online tournaments with a small entry fee that gives the winner a free plane ticket.

Pig Of The Hut

I don't really want to turn this into an argument match. I admitted that I made a huge business mistake. And i have dealt with contracts on a regular basis. And now we are all suffering the consequences.

The only thing I can say is that when a major multi billion dollar company approached me and wanted to partner up, I got a bit star stuck and forgot the basics. Why would i need a contract. It's Verizon right? You would also have thought that if a contract was needed their lawyers would have written one up. Convenient for them that they didnt dont you think?

I am trusting by nature. And got burned. And people got paid, just not the full promised amount. And for that I am extremely sorry.
I hope a Lesson learned

When a multi billion dollar company approaches you the first thing you should do is handle your legalities

I hope a Lesson learned

When a multi billion dollar company approaches you the first thing you should do is handle your legalities
Indeed it is. Hindsite is 20/20. And you could say "well if it were me i would have done xyz". But it wasn't you, and you weren't in my shoes.

So lesson learned. I'm sorry for the issues and drama it caused. I am not a horrible or greedy person. I legitimately wanted to see the scene grow. And for setting the FGC back i am sincerely, profoundly, sorry.

Pig Of The Hut

Indeed it is. Hindsite is 20/20. And you could say "well if it were me i would have done xyz". But it wasn't you, and you weren't in my shoes.

So lesson learned. I'm sorry for the issues and drama it caused. I am not a horrible or greedy person. I legitimately wanted to see the scene grow. And for setting the FGC back i am sincerely, profoundly, sorry.
Tell me this

At which exact point in time did you know Verizon wasn't going to pay? I have heard many different stories from people who spoke w you, friends and a family member of yours that say it was known Verizon wasn't going to pay other than venue

Again I cannot get too specific about the dealing with Verizon, but, we found out we were not going to have funds to completely payout the finalist a couple weeks after the event actually happened.

What we paid out initially (within the first week after the event) were funds from our own personal bank account.

When we found out we would not have the funds to pay, we looked into numerous way of getting money to cover the rest, business loans, selling of equipment, etc. But none of it panned out, and ultimately just ended up with us shutting our doors. Not only would we have had to get funds to cover the rest of the payouts, but we would have also needed funds to pay for our rent, utilities, and other sundry business costs.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
The situation sucked but it happened and its time to move on. Props to you for at least coming and out and saying sorry.

I hope the players do end up getting paid somehow. @Ayase Chihaya when is that fundraiser stream?

Apologia X

Trump 2020
The situation sucked but it happened and its time to move on. Props to you for at least coming and out and saying sorry.

I hope the players do end up getting paid somehow. @Ayase Chihaya when is that fundraiser stream?
I wouldn't mind donating to DJT and Woundcowboy, but SonicFox is already filthy rich. That's like setting up a fundraiser for all the oil companies.

This is a clear cut example of a company, and now after this personal apology letter, an individual, taking advantage of the trust the gaming community has in the people they feel inclined to do business with. Shane clearly felt that the turnout for this event would be enough to cover the guarantees. He gambled and lost. We at EVB recognized that the event would struggle to make decent numbers and declined to send out our players to attend. We did have questions about the guarantee, and those have been clearly answered.

Shane if you are on here looking for forgiveness from the FGC you are in the wrong place. For you to give a half apology by pointing the fingers at the sponsors that were supposed to ensure the guarantee discredits each and every word that you typed. We do not care to hear your excuses as to why you, as an operator, failed to secure the funds from the companies that you were doing business with. You had sole responsibility to protect your entrants and you failed to do that through your lack of due diligence.

We appreciate that you spent money to give VIP treatment to many professional players. However, these funds are now viewed as a misappropriation of funds being that the winners will not be paid. The thousands used for travel, boarding and entry fees could have be used to make good on your failed guarantees. How many players entry fees went towards Flights and hotels for your VIP's?

Shane you are precisely the reason that EVB was established. To ensure that the players, who are the heart and soul of any gaming community, are protected and given the proceeds they deserve for working tirelessly to become the best at what they love to do.

If you are looking to make good with the community, then find a way to pay the funds that you guaranteed to pay. Until that time, you may want to lay low and not ask to be welcomed back to the FGC with open arms.

Last edited:

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
Now that the dust has settled, a bit of a long read but, my sincere apology for EGLDallas10K. I hope this brings a bit of closure and helps the community move forward

https://www.reddit.com/r/EpicGamingLounge/comments/3tgfmn/egldallas10k_apology_and_final_thoughts_from_the/
An apology is not enough. I want the money i am owed, and i am prepared to take legal action. I have tried to contact you more than once and you didn't respond. I am not one of the people who made death threats towards you, but you have refused to communicate. This is not about communicating to the general public, this is about communicating with me, the person who is owed money. Please PM your contact details so that we can discuss this in private. I am sorry you were threatened, but that does not reflect on me.