What's new

Does a character need a 50/50 to be good?

Do you think a character needs a 50/50 to be good in MKX?

• Yes.

• No.

Results are only viewable after voting.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
I want to know everyone's honest opinion. I've seen X and Y characters get labeled "not good" over the week and the most popular reasoning was because "they don't have a 50/50". Personally, I think a character can be great without needing a good 50/50. However, I will say that I DO believe that 50/50s are usually the easiest tools to search for and exploit early into the game without requiring much practice. Some of the dominate tools that may fall into the category of spacing, zoning, footsies, conditioning, etc. etc. you will most likely not see developed until later into the game through finesse. This is why I think 50/50s are always the culprit in to impulsively determining if a character is effective or not early on. Let us not forget that Killer Frost had one of the best 50/50s ever put into a NRS game, and she was considered to not be one of the best characters. (Injustice Example)

What do you guys think?
In this game, I think that a 50/50 is essential in order for a character to be competitive. The problem with your Killer Frost comparison is that Frost basically had one good option for footsies: slide. Her mobility, which was a general problem in Injustice, was also poor due to her bad walk speed, slow dash, and bad jump. She basically had to hit you in order to set up her 50/50.

In MKX almost every character has a long-reaching footsie tool and mobility is REALLY good in general. Even outside of the run button, walk speeds are much better than they were in Injustice. What this means is that every character with a 50/50 is at an immediate advantage because they have a much easier time getting in and mixing you up than characters in Injustice did. It is much easier for characters in MKX to set up their mixups because of the mobility.

Having said all of that, I still think it may be possible for a character to be decent in MKX without having a damaging mixup. The only problem is that characters who do not have mixups have basically nothing else to compensate them. Shinnok is most likely supposed to be a zoner but his projectiles are really negative and risky to do, which means that he is left with average footsies and no mixups.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
It definitely doesnt hurt. Its far too early to speculate how every characters tools will supplement their play. But right now its definitely the characters with the strongest normals and 50/50s who seem to be doing the best. That may change over time.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
While a good 50/50 can make a character harder to deal with, if his/her other tools are ass then the character will be ass. Also, a character without 50/50 can dominate the game with his/her tools.

If you have potentially the best zoner in the game, the lack of a 50/50 doesnt fucking matter because they keep people out so damn good.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
The answer to the question is absolutely not as simple as it suggests.

The answer or the thread title should be "does a character in MKx have to have real dirt to be good"

It's fine to have 50/50s vortexes resets as dirt but every character that is viable should also have equally amount of dirt or close

Tempest ex spin is an example

Kano b2 ?? And his knives being 10 f start up and -11 is an example

A more interesting thread would be list all MKx characters and their dirt and compare contrast who has what powerful tools

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
In this game, I think that a 50/50 is essential in order for a character to be competitive. The problem with your Killer Frost comparison is that Frost basically had one good option for footsies: slide. Her mobility, which was a general problem in Injustice, was also poor due to her bad walk speed, slow dash, and bad jump. She basically had to hit you in order to set up her 50/50.

In MKX almost every character has a long-reaching footsie tool and mobility is REALLY good in general. Even outside of the run button, walk speeds are much better than they were in Injustice. What this means is that every character with a 50/50 is at an immediate advantage because they have a much easier time getting in and mixing you up than characters in Injustice did. It is much easier for characters in MKX to set up their mixups because of the mobility.

Having said all of that, I still think it may be possible for a character to be decent in MKX without having a damaging mixup. The only problem is that characters who do not have mixups have basically nothing else to compensate them. Shinnok is most likely supposed to be a zoner but his projectiles are really negative and risky to do, which means that he is left with average footsies and no mixups.
Great post

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
I think it's too early in the game life to say a character is not good without any 50/50s. There so much to explore in this game. So I vote no. I think it's going to take time to learn all the characters and variation to be honest. Asking for a tier list or saying someone not good with this type of game is too soon.

Monox1de

Noob
Does a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup need peanut butter to be good?

The answer is no...If there is no peanut butter that means you have 100% chocolate. Chocolate is still good.
Characters with 100/0s confirmed good. 50/50s not needed to be good.

Day 8 after reese's release there were people saying if they didn't have peanut butter they wouldn't be good.

Over time people realized it was the sodium within the Reese's causing this thought process to occur. Once they got a grip on how good each ingredient was things settled down. Good thing that these peanut butter cups are no more than 6% salt. Any more salt would have resulted in no one liking the peanut butter cups because of their imbalanced ingredients.

TLDR...Fucking read it lazy ass.

50/50 set ups are great to have, but they do not necessarily make a character good. Scorpion in MK9 had 50/50 set ups, but he was not considered to be a great character. I feel that characters without 50/50 set ups need to work harder to open up opponents. In addition to that, characters without 50/50 set ups usually have some tools to compensate for the inability to mix up opponents. Good projectiles come to mind.

YOMI DJT

LIn Kuei Champion
Also can the 50/50 be looped safely without punish? That can make a 50/50 character very strong.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
50-50 clearly aren't the only factor that decides if a character is good or not, but is just dumb to say that they are not an obvious advantage.

Is not too early to say that opening people up is MUCH easier when you are playing a character that has a (possibly safe) 50-50 that leads to big damage....

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I think having a character with a 50/50 is great, but doesn't mean they are praise worthy.
I also feel that if you picking a character solely based off of how strong a 50/50 mix up is, you're probably picking them for the wrong reason.

VOR

Noob
I want to say no, but in this game, I feel compelled to say yes. I think a handful of characters will do well without a 50/50, but not for the most part. It depends on how far their tech gets pushed. We'll see how things pan out, but yes is my gut reaction. A 50/50 is so good for making crucial comebacks.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
see sindel in mk9...... she had over heads and lows but, all were mediocre.

problem is there are characters in the game that have 50/50s and dont have to worry about being punished for taking the risk..

a character that lacks 50/50's should be a lot safer in their normal strings like Kitana, yet shes not :confused: this makes no sense to me..

im a bit disappointed with all these testers i feel something should have been brought up.. again im a noob/scrub so what do i know..