What's new

Do you Regret Buying Premium Edition/Kombat Pack? Do You Think That People will Still Care by the Time Final 2 Characters are Released?

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
For the most part the best time to play a fighting game IMO is when it is new (or any multiplayer game). and Primal Rage?
I feel like the best time to play a fighting game is after the first balance patch :D

It's usually craziness before that with all kinds of strange unfairness and bugs/glitches.

But I guess it depends on the game -- for example MKX was much better after the rework, which was well after the first patch.

Absolutely every fighting game has massive drop offs a few months after launch. Once Timmy is done with the single player content, his friends move on to the new flavor of the month and he doesn't care enough to actually learn the game then he shelves it. It's nothing new.

I'm in too deep with MK. I hate many of the decisions NRS is making recently, and I barely touch the game because of it, but I buy any and all MK content. I probably am only going to end up using 1 or 2 characters from the KP, but there was never a universe where I didn't buy it.
something to note if you compare steamstats is that MKX had about 300 lower avg. players than MK11 did at this point in its lifecycle.

the big difference, however, is thath MK11's peak player number was over double what MKX ever had already, so %-wise all we can say is a bigger amount of the people buying it didn't like what they got than with MKX.

You have to be (soap bar in my mouth) if you thought all dlc would be released all at once or by the first 6 months.

Finally seeing the 3 month mark, time to clear out all the scrubs who play the game for rank and content.
Isn't that what a kombat pack is suppose to be?

That's like if you bought a specific cable package, but you have to wait every 2 months just to get HBO, Cinemax, Starz or Showtime.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
something to note if you compare steamstats is that MKX had about 300 lower avg. players than MK11 did at this point in its lifecycle.

the big difference, however, is thath MK11's peak player number was over double what MKX ever had already, so %-wise all we can say is a bigger amount of the people buying it didn't like what they got than with MKX.
I don't think steamstats and MKX are a good comparison. MKX was a nightmare on PC, word spread fast that people should avoid buying it. It isn't a matter of who enjoyed what more, MKX flat out didn't work and didn't even get proper dlc support until KP2

Be disappointed in yourselves if you bought the KP and remember, no one forced you, you didn't have to and if you think a kharacter a month and instant communication will make this game "better" then it won't.
That's what i don't get. People are getting the shits with no news as though it would make a difference. Then they'd just complain that it should have been earlier, or more than one, or someone else.. or bla bla bla...

That's like if you bought a specific cable package, but you have to wait every 2 months just to get HBO, Cinemax, Starz or Showtime.
Nope, 1st DLC at least has always been released one at a time for MK. Expecting different now is just stupid.

If a cable company did that people would get the shits because the status quo for that is to buy the package and get it once they flick the switch.

The fact Nintendo had a release date for Nightwolf obviously means WB/NRS knew when he was going to come out...so not why not tell us?
Because they had a commercial arrangement with Nintendo for them to make the announcement maybe? Just because it doesn't make sense to you doesn't mean that there isn't some reason behind it.

I can understand being a little frustrated with the timing -- but if you were going to quit playing after a few months, I'm wondering what the value of a KP would be to you anyway.
Ain't that the truth. If someone has clocked the game already, then the DLC will give them a few more days of game time. At least this way it may force them to come back every few months and see what's new/changed. They may find something changed that they like and stick with it longer.

Despite what people may think, NRS isn't stupid in what they're doing.

As always people want everything now only to complain that it's still not enough.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I dont regret it, i dont mind about not much news about nightwolf, or sindel or any other dlc. Game is 3 months old and we already had shang as dlc and in a couple of weeks nightwolf. Yall spoiled kids lol

GOL Eklectic

Surrender, it's over.
Don’t regret it at all. I think it’s a really good thing that Paulo and the other designers get to spend more time making adjustments before patches and dlc release. This game is so good that it worth being that careful. It just sucks that so many people don’t see the value in that.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Not a single regret. I'm going to be coming back to MK11 for a long time. I love this game, and I'm excited for every piece of content.

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
We need info. I don't care if the characters take a long time to come out, but we need to know what is coming and why we should care. Long release cycles should be a chance for them to flex their hype muscles and maybe bring in some other stuff (premier skins, special tower events) that will keep the average non-competitive player interested. Radio silence is the opposite of that.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
We need info. I don't care if the characters take a long time to come out, but we need to know what is coming and why we should care. Long release cycles should be a chance for them to flex their hype muscles and maybe bring in some other stuff (premier skins, special tower events) that will keep the average non-competitive player interested. Radio silence is the opposite of that.
Exactly. They knew Nightwolf's release date, that much is clear. Why didn't they just tell us? Their marketing really sucks.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
To be honest, I love this game. Best MK ever for me.

However, I stopped playing it because by the time a certain someone may become available as DLC it may be three years later and I'll be bored of the game by then, so I'm taking a long break and will return once the second Kombat pack is released. And will enjoy the game with all 30+ characters and bugfixed and whatever.

It's not like I don't have a huge backlog to keep me busy until then.

But no, I do not regret pre-ordering the KP at all. It's MK - I'll love it always.

mastermalone

Use only logic, please
The software engineer in me would like to communicate to all of the eager gamers what NRS can't say:

Great software development takes time... Lots of time. One does not just crank out code and expect it to work flawlessly.

Features must be planned and mocked.

Agile sprint grooming must take place.

Tasks for each story must be sized based on level of effort.

Technical design docks must be written and approved.

Implementation of the code with the finished assets must take place within a sprint (usually two weeks per feature) a feature could simply be implementing attack animations for key inputs. Another feature could be adding/adjusting frame data for each animation etc.

Keep in mind that this also needs finished assets meaning animations, character models V.O etc. This does not always include regression bugs discovered by QA. Adding new features to an application/game often introduces unexpected behavior.

With all that being said, I'm perfectly happy with my purchase. Games don't get stale to me after 2 months, especially fighting games. No offense but if you feel that the game is stale in this short amount of time, that's a bit worrisome to be honest. Have we become so entitled that we make unrealistic demands of these studios to satiate our "needs" and threaten to quit their game?

I'm glad that I don't fit that description. But, it does not mean the way you feel is wrong.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
My question is: didn’t we just have a big thread where everyone said “NRS shame on you for overworking your employees, I wouldn’t want to support a company that does that — give them less hours per week, less crunch and more vacation”?

https://testyourmight.com/threads/this-is-how-they-get-away-with-it-former-netherrealm-studios-contract-devs-reveal-a-troubling-studio-culture.69759/

Now a couple months later, it’s “I want my DLC now like before!! Work faster!”

Imo you can’t have both.

Last edited:

Ray'sGoodLiquor

I don't care I'm not a competitive player anymore
I don’t regret it, but only because I got the KP at an extremely reduced price. I never preorder NRS games on PC anymore because they have a long history of delaying released to the point the PC players could be 1-3 patches behind consoles, making the game on PC essentially pointless. Steam is probably a bad metric to judge player base because years of neglect have made the PC community NRS’ least loyal fan base. I’m just grateful that the game released in a mostly balanced state, because if something was broken, we’d have to deal with it for 6+ months.

I’m guessing the drop in PC numbers helped me out a bit because I had no intention of buying KP1 until it went on sale for $19. Had I paid full price, I would have regretted it.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
My question is: didn’t we just have a big thread where everyone said “NRS shame on you for overworking your employees, I wouldn’t want to support a company that does that — give them less hours per week, less crunch and more vacation”?

https://testyourmight.com/threads/this-is-how-they-get-away-with-it-former-netherrealm-studios-contract-devs-reveal-a-troubling-studio-culture.69759/

Imo you can’t have both.
This as well. Though I suspect hiring more staff would solve both the crunch problem as well as the timeframe problem. It's not like WB/NRS doesn't have the resources & budget for it.

It's so weird that people are complaining about how slow everything is coming out. Everybody used to blow NRS up for making too many changes too quickly and not letting the game and the meta play out before they fixed things. Guess they really can't win
but that's in relation to changes of mechanics and characters. sure people want characters faster but there are actually problems with the game's design that some of should have been fix. I've seen developers that would love to have that mk cash just hop on a bug in about a week's notice.

Gamer68

Fujin!

Imo you can’t have both.
Yup. This is probably the biggest reason why I'm okay that the DLC is taking longer.

(Once again, I wish they would communicate better, though).

I'm trash at playing against 90% of the fucking cast and I'm trash with my main Scorpion, too because I make so many dumb fucking mistakes.
If it was me making DLC decisions, I'd be alright with those 5 remaining DLC characters taking another year to release, just so I feel comfortable in my game knowledge and skill before adding new things to the game.

Only thing I'm disappointed in is getting robbed of wins online, the hitbox issues (which my character at least can play around) and how incredibly unfun the Krypt and ToT are.

Otherwise I'd welcome classic stages and classic music to the game. It's the third modern MK game now and the music and stages still suck. Only game that had cool looking stages was MK9 and that was basically a rehash of the original MK Trilogy.

But yeah, bring bug fixes at a faster pace please or at least do Kombat Kasts explaining what the fuck you are doing and why.

Gruntypants

THE MUFFINS ARE BEEFY
I don't regret buying it. However, I'm concerned with NRS due to their lack of communication and because of how unfinished the game was at release.
I will certainly be more wary of them in the future when I spend money on their products.

I don't "regret it" because the money was put down months ago... But I'm pretty bummed at how this game was handled. As an avid MK fan and consumer, there just doesn't seem to be any deep love and admiration of this game by it's developers. For me it started with character roster selection. NRS themselves have done multiple polls asking which fan favorites we're to return then ignored those poll results when choosing the roster. Whoever took over media has done a terrible job, and the devs know that fans are upset because they lurk these forms yet they withhold information almost indignantly. We got a (admittedly) fun game as far as graphics and tech but not the love project that MK9 was for NRS and it shows in their aloof, lackadaisical handling of this game.

I'll admit I've put the controller down for this game for the time being.. much quicker than I thought I would when the game first got announced. Hopefully NRS finds that passion and enthusiasm I've again with MK12... if we even ever get that