What's new

Combo Video - Displacer Displacer Raiden

Displacer far behind teleport is so good, you can do it all day and eventually they'll go insane and start raging and jumping arround. And then you win.
There's enough recovery on the normal teleport that they can catch you fairly easily if they make a read and come after you early. A lot of characters can probably punish, I believe it's 20 frames before you can act, and I don't believe you can block during that time either.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
There's enough recovery on the normal teleport that they can catch you fairly easily if they make a read and come after you early. A lot of characters can probably punish, I believe it's 20 frames before you can act, and I don't believe you can block during that time either.
It's 29 frames of recovery.

They can nerf a few aspects of raiden if they want, just buff the teleport to make him more of an anti zoner, take away some of my rushdown and zoning ability and give me more of an ability to get in (but keep the damage though)

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I can somewhat agree with the spirit of that message above. I find it weird that this character has good generic tools but his unique ones are pretty mediocre at best. One would think that it's a good idea to design characters around their unique features...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion teleport cancel is -24, ppl get afraid that he might be attacking which forces opponents to block giving a mental advantage.

Scorpion's teleport has 20f startup, so is about -4 when he cancels

What is the startup of raiden's teleport?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Scorpion teleport cancel is -24, ppl get afraid that he might be attacking which forces opponents to block giving a mental advantage.

Scorpion's teleport has 20f startup, so is about -4 when he cancels

What is the startup of raiden's teleport?
10/29
The thing with scorpion is that people have to respect that he has at least 2 options even if he comes in, Raiden always just teleports.
He keeps his stamina, so there's that. Doesn't mean much when you are this meter-hungry and gave up your meter building by not picking TG.

It's funny that Scorpion's tele is basically better. When I learned about retreating and neutral teles of Scorpion, I joked that "well, who needs displacer now". It was a joke at the time...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
10/29
The thing with scorpion is that people have to respect that he has at least 2 options even if he comes in, Raiden always just teleports.
He keeps his stamina, so there's that. Doesn't mean much when you are this meter-hungry and gave up your meter building by not picking TG.

It's funny that Scorpion's tele is basically better. When I learned about retreating and neutral teles of Scorpion, I joked that "well, who needs displacer now". It was a joke at the time...
I need more time with this variation, but the recovery time is way too long, being -24 to -26 as scorpion is it wouldn't hurt imo.
Raiden is at -19 everytime he recovers which is retarded, but we have to be careful patching this move, due the 214 string which on spark port grants a free link, if Raiden finds himself a way to combo with the teleport buff meterless he might gain some infinities and we don't want that.

I will have a more look into this sooner, i wasn't able to totally play this raiden yet, he seems way to technical.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Raiden is at -19 everytime he recovers which is retarded, but we have to be careful patching this move, due the 214 string which on spark port grants a free link, if Raiden finds himself a way to combo with the teleport buff meterless he might gain some infinities and we don't want that.
Thing is, it's pointless to write recovery as advantage (with -/+) because there is no stun to compare with. His MKX recovery is 29 (used to be 19 in MK9).

There is nothing stopping NRS to explicitly remove ground comboability of teleport links (I guess), only juggles will remain then.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Thing is, it's pointless to write recovery as advantage (with -/+) because there is no stun to compare with. His MKX recovery is 29 (used to be 19 in MK9).

There is nothing stopping NRS to explicitly remove ground comboability of teleport links (I guess), only juggles will remain then.
Teleport Links are one if best speciality in displacer IMO

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Teleport Links are one if best speciality in displacer IMO
I'm not sure why you think that.
It's just a few percent of damage for another bar you probably will need a lot because displacer-specific options require meter to be good. Meanwhile TG can launch more safely (MU-specific) and for free in some cases while doing similar damage and getting better setups in his combos due to FRC. If combos is what you are playing Raiden for, I don't see a lot of reasons to pick Displacer.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm not sure why you think that.
It's just a few percent of damage for another bar you probably will need a lot because displacer-specific options require meter to be good. Meanwhile TG can launch more safely (MU-specific) and for free in some cases while doing similar damage and getting better setups in his combos due to FRC. If combos is what you are playing Raiden for, I don't see a lot of reasons to pick Displacer.
Its not about combos, i just didn't give much time to him yet, but he is a mobility variation, or at least it should be.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Its not about combos, i just didn't give much time to him yet, but he is a mobility variation, or at least it should be.
That's what I think, hence my surprise at your previous comment. Maybe I didn't get what you mean by "teleport links" though...
vOv

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
I just don't see why the developers would be so conservative with raiden's teleport. You can't even punish subzero projectiles with the amount of recovery. I just don't see the utility behind the displacer variation when you can't even score a favorable matchup against heavy zoners.

Reactions: SGX

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I need more time with this variation, but the recovery time is way too long, being -24 to -26 as scorpion is it wouldn't hurt imo.

I will have a more look into this sooner, i wasn't able to totally play this raiden yet, he seems way to technical.
Can you explain how the free link on Sparkport off of 214 works?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Can you explain how the free link on Sparkport off of 214 works?
If you do a 214~Sparkport, you should be able to link another standing 2 before the opponent recovers, its so fast that counts as a combo, hence why called teleport Links, because it allows you to combo grounded opponents without juggling, like the street Fighter system do.

Its a new system that some characters are able to take advantage of:

Scorpion can FBC links using run cancel, scorpion has a link using flame aura too
Thunder God Raiden LBC links using run cancel
Sonya has a 1 frame link using drone cancel
Johnny Cage A list can link using run cancels, or even dashes, and he gets to repeat 3 times
Displacer Raiden can link most of his grounded strings when he cancels with spark-port

Basically there are special that grands combo links, like Scorpion's flame aura, Raiden Spark port, Buzz Saw Kung lao's Hat etc
And characters that can hold chargeable specials can run cancel to perform links

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
If you do a 214~Sparkport, you should be able to link another standing 2 before the opponent recovers, its so fast that counts as a combo, hence why called teleport Links, because it allows you to combo grounded opponents without juggling, like the street Fighter system do.

Its a new system that some characters are able to take advantage of:

Scorpion can FBC links using run cancel, scorpion has a link using flame aura too
Thunder God Raiden LBC links using run cancel
Sonya has a 1 frame link using drone cancel
Johnny Cage A list can link using run cancels, or even dashes, and he gets to repeat 3 times
Displacer Raiden can link most of his grounded strings when he cancels with spark-port

Basically there are special that grands combo links, like Scorpion's flame aura, Raiden Spark port, Buzz Saw Kung lao's Hat etc
And characters that can hold chargeable specials can run cancel to perform links
Interesting. I had no idea this was possible in MKX. One thing I don't understand with Thunder God Raiden's LBC run cancel is why not simply run instead of doing LBC run cancel, i.e. why is the latter faster than the former?

mrtom

Noob
I just don't see why the developers would be so conservative with raiden's teleport. You can't even punish subzero projectiles with the amount of recovery. I just don't see the utility behind the displacer variation when you can't even score a favorable matchup against heavy zoners.
I don't get it either, any decent player can punish a normal teleport pretty easy and I haven't found any real uses for it yet. Even if you use a bar to punish a projectile you're not going to get that much damage unless you use a second bar. I could live with it if he built meter faster but compared to TG his meter building sucks.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Interesting. I had no idea this was possible in MKX. One thing I don't understand with Thunder God Raiden's LBC run cancel is why not simply run instead of doing LBC run cancel, i.e. why is the latter faster than the former?
You can't run cancel an string, it has to be special cancelable in order to run cancel the special, fast enough to give you frame advantage capable of linking another normal.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
Exactly that's one my main arguments too. A lot of what raiden does and what he's good at ( outside of TG) is largely dependent on meter. Unfortunately for as bad as the teleport is, there is no way to compensate for these compromises. Projectile game isn't so good ( not that it needs to be nor do I want it to be per say) but this fact coupled with a that teleport allows no utilization as far as mobility, mix-ups, or meter building makes this variation outclassed by its counterparts.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
You can't run cancel an string, it has to be special cancelable in order to run cancel the special, fast enough to give you frame advantage capable of linking another normal.
I see. Good info man. Thanks for that.

So, in Displacer we should now be able to do this: 2, 1, 4 ~ Sparkport, 2, 1, 4 ~ Sparkport, 2, 1, 4 ~ EX-DF2, B1, 1, 1 + 3 (or B1, 4 ~ Electric Fly). Pretty cool! Can't wait to get home and try this.

Jb879212

40 Percent Punish
I don't get it either, any decent player can punish a normal teleport pretty easy and I haven't found any real uses for it yet. Even if you use a bar to punish a projectile you're not going to get that much damage unless you use a second bar. I could live with it if he built meter faster but compared to TG his meter building sucks.
That's one of my big issues as well. People don't understand that raiden is a very meter dependent character and as such has to work very hard to get set ups in the neutral game barring TG variation. Which I don't have an issue with that's just the benefit of the variation. However when the teleport is lacking in its ability to provide any real mix up presence, mobility, and meter building it simply becomes outclassed by its other variations and its really disheartening because I'm such a loyalist to raiden but I don't want to be one of those tier whores or whatever the kids call him these days.

techn9ne

Footsies

I know these are not very meter friendly, but here is what I have found with Displacer

j2,213rc,34bf3 - 26% no meter
j2,34df2(ex),4bf3mb 38% 2 meters
j1,214db3(ex),NJP,f22+4df2(ex),4bf3mb 41% 3 meters
j1,34rc,b14,x ray - 41% xray
j2,34du(ex),34df2(ex)4bf3mb 42% 3 meters
214du(ex),214du(ex),213rc34bf3mb 43% 3 meters
j2,34,f22+4df2(ex),f22+4bf3mb 45% 2 meters
j1,b2,b2,b14 x ray - 46% xray corner
j1,214du(ex),34df2(ex),f22+4bf3mb 47% 3 meters
214du(ex),34,f22+4(ex),f22+4bf3mb 51% 3 meters
214du(ex)34,34,34df2(ex),4db3(ex),b111+3 52% Corner
214du(ex)34,34,34df2(ex),b14db3(ex),b111+3 53% Corner
214du(ex),b2 b2 b14bf2(ex), b14db1(ex), NJP, b14df2 61%

once i found out how to use ex teleport mid combo im no longer thinking this is the 2nd best raiden, I must say though master of storms is super underrated, the matchups where i get outrushed or dont need the teleport, I switch to that and use the traps to slow the pace down

SGX

Noob
Displacer Raiden is probably the biggest disappointment of MKX for me. I mean honestly, he should have a teleport in every variation, but his regular teleport DEFINITELY needs to be at least as good as it was in MK9. I was really hoping for Displacer Raiden to be more like pre-nerf MK9. (Wishful thinking, I know)

But yeah, I had my heart set on maining him since they first revealed him, now he's not even in my list of top 5 characters I want to play. :/