What's new

Combo Video - Displacer Displacer Raiden

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
You can combo off Ex Lightning into pretty much anything from fullscreen with Displacer, yeah. If you are closer, it's getting harder. At very least you should be able to do d1~shocker even if you are right in front of him... But why teleporting then? :)
Guess running makes midscreen options redundant as well.

Displacer ex teleport is so good but I just can't use this variation unless they buff that regular teleport. His strings are also way to unsafe in Displacer/Mos. yes ex tele makes everything safe but I'd rather not waste meter on playing safe and save it for breakers and armor.

the tele isnt as safe as mk9, but it has its uses, i dont think they want it to be used as an automatic blockstring ender, if you hit confirm certain strings its good to use after because the block stun makes it safer, then its a guessing game whether youll block or do something (plus you have multiple tele options)

"But why teleporting then? :)
Guess running makes midscreen options redundant as well."

You've never heard of swag combos that use 2 meters for little to no damage? thats what im all about!

Ive been playing only displacer raiden and I think the key to displacer raiden will be mixing it up between normal teleport and far teleport. Do far teleport a bunch at first and then whiff punish when they try to punish it. Once you get them accustomed to that you can do normal teleport and apply pressure. Theoretically at least.

Ive been playing only displacer raiden and I think the key to displacer raiden will be mixing it up between normal teleport and far teleport. Do far teleport a bunch at first and then whiff punish when they try to punish it. Once you get them accustomed to that you can do normal teleport and apply pressure. Theoretically at least.
You could do that if it was 10/19 like mk9. 29 recovery frames is to long to even wiff punish. I'll telport a fireball and be stuck so long that they actually recover and punish me lol. The ex tele is great for this but your not going to even get a good punish unless you want to spend two bars.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Displacer ex teleport is so good but I just can't use this variation unless they buff that regular teleport. His strings are also way to unsafe in Displacer/Mos. yes ex tele makes everything safe but I'd rather not waste meter on playing safe and save it for breakers and armor.
You can end block strings with shocker. It's -6. Someone would need to execute a just frame 5 frame normal to punish you for it.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
I really hate to say it but Displacer is disappointing to me. I don't care if the regular teleport isn't uninterruptible on start up but it should have low enough recovery to be useful. You should be able to use this to run away and annoy people/mix-up strings with it and not have to worry about getting your shitpushed from anyone who's paying attention absolutely free. EX TP is literally godlike but it fucking should be if you're going to burn bar for that and then burn another bar on a combo.

Cut the recovery on the regular teleport by like 40% or bust. Doesn't need to be uninterruptible but if your character is built around a teleport, you shouldn't have to be burning meter to make your central tool usable. Jussayin'.

That being said at least Thunder God has some sick shit.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Fun to watch but two and three bar combos are mostly bullshit IRL.

This one particular two bar combo might be good to learn if you have two bars and can end the round fast but you'll be burning so much on EX TP and breakers and EX shocker reversals of your own you probably won't see it too much.

That's the other thing. Waking up with EX shocker will probably end up being more useful in the long run than waking up with EX TP.

Cosmic Forge

Practice mode noob
I really hate to say it but Displacer is disappointing to me. I don't care if the regular teleport isn't uninterruptible on start up but it should have low enough recovery to be useful. You should be able to use this to run away and annoy people/mix-up strings with it and not have to worry about getting your shitpushed from anyone who's paying attention absolutely free. EX TP is literally godlike but it fucking should be if you're going to burn bar for that and then burn another bar on a combo.

Cut the recovery on the regular teleport by like 40% or bust. Doesn't need to be uninterruptible but if your character is built around a teleport, you shouldn't have to be burning meter to make your central tool usable. Jussayin'.

That being said at least Thunder God has some sick shit.

(Lord Raiden)

This one particular two bar combo might be good to learn if you have two bars and can end the round fast but you'll be burning so much on EX TP and breakers and EX shocker reversals of your own you probably won't see it too much.

That's the other thing. Waking up with EX shocker will probably end up being more useful in the long run than waking up with EX TP.
if its about the nonsense i posted, theres a 1 meter version with the same tech minus the electric grab, just showing how you can get a small combo off of a mb projectile from super far away. Good part is the stun from an ex projectile usually makes a tele safer so you can use it to get closer in regardless ( i almost always want to be close up) I am very meter conscious in game but theres a time for everything, sometimes i have 3 bars and its better to use a 2 meter combo than an xray if i already landed a pop up

Also in displacer Raiden you can end midscreen combos in 1,1,1+4 and then teleport and if I'm reading this frame data correctly you'll be at -8. So you won't get punished unless they have really good reactions or are doing random wakeups from across the screen. I've been doing it a lot and never get punished.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah but you can't really trust the in-game frames at this point. It all seems bizarrely wonky.

Also in displacer Raiden you can end midscreen combos in 1,1,1+4 and then teleport and if I'm reading this frame data correctly you'll be at -8. So you won't get punished unless they have really good reactions or are doing random wakeups from across the screen. I've been doing it a lot and never get punished.
ive done my best to test the blockstring teles- seems like if you do a string like 214 and lets say the 4 made contact, the stun from that will make the tele fairly safe (liu kangs/raidens 5 frames and i think kung lao has a 4 right? those will be able to hit but you can block in time it seems) so basically if you hit confirm a string and then tele its okay, but doing it braindead after he blocked both you should do a far away teleport instead, and if the opponent has a long range punish like liu kangs flying kick, you best block or take it into consideration. Notice the mention of liu kang, he seems to fuck displacer raiden up the bum really hard in regards to these so id say use another variation or only use the tele to escape his zoning, we probably shouldnt be fighting him punch for punch anyhow though his normals are insane. At the end of the day, youre gonna mistakenly teleport in an unsafe manner sometimes but its not the end of the world because it adds another variable to your offense and they wont always react in time, and if they keep expecting to stuff teleports by uppercutting as soon as you disapear, you can use that to your advantage with the far away tele/stay in place teleport by wiff punishing the uppercuts with superman

if anyone sees anything to the contrary in training mode let me know

Apex Kano

Kano Commando main MKX
Master of Stroms is the real MVP! So much kick ass in one variation. This is my premier Raiden of choice. Teleportation shouldn't suck at all, this is Raiden main tool but MKX it does unless MB. Who what's to waste meter evertime you want to get away from pressure?

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Master of Stroms is the real MVP! So much kick ass in one variation. This is my premier Raiden of choice. Teleportation shouldn't suck at all, this is Raiden main tool but MKX it does unless MB. Who what's to waste meter evertime you want to get away from pressure?
Well, that's what pretty much everyone else do. EX-tp even doesn't force you to take damage unlike armor... But tbh Raiden already has pretty damn good armor that can lead to okay damage, so this usage of EX-tp is definitely not something to sell Displacer.

nothing makes me happier than catching vertical teleporters/crossups with vicinity blast and sometimes converting a combo out of it

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail

Actually, two bar combos if delivering around 50% are quite viable. That likely either wins you the match or puts you at a heavy life lead at the start. Your opponent won't kill you with a 100% combo and chances are that by the time they get you down to 50%, as well, you've more than recovered all your meter.

3 bar combos on the other hand are not worthwhile, imo. If you drop it, you're out a full meter and if you are successful, you haven't done enough damage to justify the extra bar. One EX superman is 16 or 17% iirc. Add that on top of any two bar combo after reset and you're looking at 60+% damage. Way more than a full 3 bar combo would do linked.

I completely agree with the sentiment that a variation centered on teleporting shouldn't require meter use to be useful. I really hope they revise this in a future update. Right now my Displacer Raiden is all about long poking with a d4->ex tp->combo. It is a little more consistent than d4->run because it takes time and requires starting your string at the perfect moment to avoid them block recovering.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Displacer far behind teleport is so good, you can do it all day and eventually they'll go insane and start raging and jumping arround. And then you win.