What's new

Question Dealing with Nerves

Solignac

Noob
I think it's funny that you say your nerves hit when the announcer says fight. I think to some degree everyone gets nervous. It's just like public speaking, everyone is nervous about it and those who do it often feel more comfortable doing it. You need to remember that you're a new player and you're still learning. Go back to the root of why you feel nervous. Do you think you'll embarrass yourself because you lost to a stranger? Are you scared of the unknown, like is this guy extremely good and I don't know? These are just irrational fears that will go away with enough experience. It will pass as you grow as a player, once you gain the confidence.

Play sets with friends and reach out to players you have good games with in ranked. Ask them to play more sets and you'll realize there's nothing to be afraid of. I know you know there isn't anything to be scared of, but that's just the way nerves work.

I think it's funny that you say your nerves hit when the announcer says fight. I think to some degree everyone gets nervous. It's just like public speaking, everyone is nervous about it and those who do it often feel more comfortable doing it. You need to remember that you're a new player and you're still learning. Go back to the root of why you feel nervous. Do you think you'll embarrass yourself because you lost to a stranger? Are you scared of the unknown, like is this guy extremely good and I don't know? These are just irrational fears that will go away with enough experience. It will pass as you grow as a player, once you gain the confidence.

Play sets with friends and reach out to players you have good games with in ranked. Ask them to play more sets and you'll realize there's nothing to be afraid of. I know you know there isn't anything to be scared of, but that's just the way nerves work.
ha its so funny how you just posted each thought i have when i play in that post

Solignac

Noob
ha its so funny how you just posted each thought i have when i play in that post
It's just the nature of the game we play. It's 1 on 1 and there is no one to blame when you lose but yourself and people are afraid of that. I was always afraid of that when I was younger and it kept me from playing fighting games with other people. Just keep at it, don't pay attention to how many wins they have or their name. You'll develop a competitive nature eventually, try to redirect those kinds of thoughts into more optimistic ones. Get your head in the game before the fights starts, be ready to pay attention to your opponent's playstyle rather than let irrational thoughts overtake you.

And remember at the end of the day, it's a game and it's for fun. I know it can be hard to push past anxious feelings, that's just your personality and you can always work on it.

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
I know when I first got into fighters I would panic and drop combos or freak out and miss a punish. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I used to listen to music when I played to calm my mind a bit if that helps you.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Hello, guys...

I'm in the same boat like you guys. When I play for fun with my mates, I never get anxious. When I get into either mini, or official tournaments, I get anxious. I don't know. It might be because I didn't get used with all this competition in the fighting games.

It's been a while since I was anxious in my first Kendo times, but I'm really anxious, because it's my first time dealing with you guys (and especially the monsters). When I get the fun stuff, I see that I win sometimes, but when I get the competition, I feel its pressure and get anxious. It's like I don't know how to deal with all of this and tend to make shitty progress in my matches.

Usually, because I'm a deaf person, I would close my cochliac ear plug to bring a total silence in my mind. It helps me much and makes me more concentrated with my vision and mind. When I hear nothing, I can highly concentrate myself towards my opponents. It worked for me, when I fought against my opponents in Kendo (2nd Dan). But now it's not a good option in the fighting games.

Do you guys have a remedy for the anxiety? If I do something with my anxiety, I might get better results there.

Thanks

Noob
Hello, guys...

I'm in the same boat like you guys. When I play for fun with my mates, I never get anxious. When I get into either mini, or official tournaments, I get anxious. I don't know. It might be because I didn't get used with all this competition in the fighting games.

It's been a while since I was anxious in my first Kendo times, but I'm really anxious, because it's my first time dealing with you guys (and especially the monsters). When I get the fun stuff, I see that I win sometimes, but when I get the competition, I feel its pressure and get anxious. It's like I don't know how to deal with all of this and tend to make shitty progress in my matches.

Usually, because I'm a deaf person, I would close my cochliac ear plug to bring a total silence in my mind. It helps me much and makes me more concentrated with my vision and mind. When I hear nothing, I can highly concentrate myself towards my opponents. It worked for me, when I fought against my opponents in Kendo (2nd Dan). But now it's not a good option in the fighting games.

Do you guys have a remedy for the anxiety? If I do something with my anxiety, I might get better results there.

Thanks
1. Go to you doctor
2. Tell him your anxiety issues
3. Let your doctor know you did some research about anxiety medications and heard of betablockers
4. Your doctor will prescribe you benzos/betablockers/xanax or something similar

or just take one or two shots of liquor (serious!)

Tanno

1. Go to you doctor
2. Tell him your anxiety issues
3. Let your doctor know you did some research about anxiety medications and heard of betablockers
4. Your doctor will prescribe you benzos/betablockers/xanax or something similar

or just take one or two shots of liquor (serious!)
Not sure if you're trolling with these step-to-step stuff, but the idea with the liquor might help. If I drink 2-3 beers, I might be like a real life Bo Rai Cho. Will try this out.

Noob
Not sure if you're trolling with these step-to-step stuff, but the idea with the liquor might help. If I drink 2-3 beers, I might be like a real life Bo Rai Cho. Will try this out.
haha no im not trolling with those steps! There are doctors for a reason, if you need help with your anxiety just talk to your doctor.

I remember I was kinda of in a similar situation as you back in college. I had to give a 30 minute presentation solo. I get anxiety whenever I have to do a presentation (nothing too extreme but enough that if I didn't have the anxiety I could get a better mark type). And like you, I don't know why I would get anxious, it just happened even though I wasn't scared consciously per say. So I just went to my doctor, told him the situation and he gave me some anti-anxiety meds.

Tanno

haha no im not trolling with those steps! There are doctors for a reason, if you need help with your anxiety just talk to your doctor.

I remember I was kinda of in a similar situation as you back in college. I had to give a 30 minute presentation solo. I get anxiety whenever I have to do a presentation (nothing too extreme but enough that if I didn't have the anxiety I could get a better mark type). And like you, I don't know why I would get anxious, it just happened even though I wasn't scared consciously per say. So I just went to my doctor, told him the situation and he gave me some anti-anxiety meds.
I see. Those are anti-anxiety meds. I happen to know some psychiatrists. I'll ask one of them to suggest me one of those, or better.

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
I see. Those are anti-anxiety meds. I happen to know some psychiatrists. I'll ask one of them to suggest me one of those, or better.

It is perfectly natural to experience anxiety or nervousness when participating in a fighting game tournament for the first time. In fact, it would be unnatural not to be excessively nervous during your first several tournaments.

As such, the safe (and ultimately, competitively optimal) recommendation would be to simply tough it out until you've been to enough fighting game tournaments that you feel that your anxiety is no longer a detriment to your ability to perform. This is a natural process that should occur organically as you grow more and more accustomed to the experience of playing on the largest possible stage. The anxiety will never entirely go away, but as you become increasingly desensitized to the tournament scene, you will also find yourself decreasingly overwhelmed by nerves in big moments, and you will develop the ability to channel this nervous energy into focus, transporting you immediately into what performers frequently refer to as "the zone." It's called being hyped as fuck, which you should be when participating in majors.

Unless you have a long history of performance anxiety and/or anxiety related issues, I would strongly urge you not to take prescription medication in order to attempt to speed up the progression through or bring about the abatement of what is ultimately a normal and potentially beneficial cognitive process.

Moreover, benzodiazepines impair consciousness and slow down processing and reflex speed. Nothing beneficial will come of using them to play competitively. I wouldn't recommend alcoholic beverages either, as they will impair you just the same if not worse.

To be fair, if you find that even after attending more than your fair share of tournaments, you still feel anxiety, and moreover, you find you have a history of debilitating performance anxiety in other potentially high pressure situations (i.e. taking exams in high school/college, public speaking, etc..), then perhaps it is time to seek medical help, although I would recommend researching behavioural means of resolving this problem before resorting to pharmacological ones.

Last edited:

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
chilled beer will always do the trick. Couple of vodka shots - like Iced_Taz said should do the job. A lot of people smoke weed as well.