What's new

Question Dealing with Nerves

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
Don't jump right into the next match if you lose. Take a minute on the select screen to compose yourself, gather your thoughts, and take a breather.
I believe that's one thing I didn't do well tonight... I immediately jumped back in and I think that made it worse... I will remember that next time. Thanks!

dwz_mk9

I could do this all day...
Hey, although i still suffer a bit from tournament nerves, It has gotten better. The short of it is, experience. The more you play in tournament the more comfortable you will feel which will help with nerves. Aside from that take deep breaths before your match, and i find that chewing on gum throughout the tournament tends to also help me relieve my nerves.
That's what I was thinking too. I mean, this was the first time I had competed in mk and it just felt overwhelming... I will try gum and hopefully the more I play, the better I will get at coping with it.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Just keep playing. Go to as many tournaments and locals as you can. The way to get over nerves is simply to be put in that situation over and over. Eventually it will stop bothering you.

I remember way back when I started going to tournaments, I would fall apart and forget how to play in every match, I was so nervous. After enough times, it didn't even bother me when I was in the grand finals at my locals and everyone was yelling around me every time I got opened up haha.

Just keep playing. You'll get over the nerves!

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Just keep playing. Go to as many tournaments and locals as you can. The way to get over nerves is simply to be put in that situation over and over. Eventually it will stop bothering you.

I remember way back when I started going to tournaments, I would fall apart and forget how to play in every match, I was so nervous. After enough times, it didn't even bother me when I was in the grand finals at my locals and everyone was yelling around me every time I got opened up haha.

Just keep playing. You'll get over the nerves!
my nigga tells the truth.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
I agree with the 'keep going to tournament' advice. I try to make it to every tournament I possibly can and it helps. The biggest tournament I went to was AB6 and I wasn't nervous that much. I used to wear headphones and play music while I play but now I can just get up and play. Streams still get me a little nervous as I want to swag out but thats passing as well.

A good sign that you are overcoming your nerves is when you allow your "gaming face" to come out in public. Everyone has a face they make when they are zoned into a game, believe me. That bottom lip may hang or that tongue may be trying to poke thru a cheek, we all have one.

My advice would be to do attend as many local tournaments as possible and find a way to allow that gaming face to come out, whether thats music, gum, bating before you go or alcohol.

JerzeyReign

PSN: JerzeyReign
Weed and alcohol aren't used as often as they are tossed around here on TYM. I think its the "cool guy" answer. Not everyone is an operational weed head or alchie - it actually takes years to harvest that skill anyway.

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
Theoretically, one would assume this helps.

But it actually makes it worse for me personally. I zone too much. And not "eat this force ball" zone.
Weed would be the last thing I would do before a tournament lol it definitely makes me dumb and zone out for hours lol.

Now maybe one shot of something would help me loosen up and not be so nervous

TamedLizard

Buff George
Weed would be the last thing I would do before a tournament lol it definitely makes me dumb and zone out for hours lol.

Now maybe one shot of something would help me loosen up and not be so nervous
Lol I've actually sat there admiring the combos being done to me like "ooo what's next?!"

Undergroundepict

I am like the blue rose
Gaining experience would probably be a super important thing. I would also say that, tightly woven into the framework of experience and often significantly overlooked/confused with experience, is getting to know people in the community.

The guys you are playing with online, the people at your local, the regulars at tournaments. Be friendly with and try to get to know everybody. If you feel you are only around friends/friends of friends, even the biggest stage will feel like a casual in your living room.

Also, amphetamines. Lots and lots of prescription amphetamines.

WiseM0nkey

welcome to the ButtSlam
Stop being beta.

Become alpha.

-

In other words, stop giving a shit. Just play.
This sounds simple. But just don't give a fuck.
bruh...

if he didnt give a fuckshit he wouldnt be competing. these points are meaningless.

on topic, i think @Undeadjim got it right. You need to be confident in your playstyle and your skill first, and convince yourself you can beat every opponent you may face. Without those things in mind, you'll never be able to play your "A" game in a tournament set.

the more you play in tournaments the more you get focused on the match you're playing, it's just a matter of time / experience. i cant really give you a practical solution on "how to calm down your nerves", cause everyone is different and everyone uses different methods. you need to find what works better for you, could it be chewing a gum, listen to music or whatever :)

virtiqaL

Noob
these points are meaningless.
Hardly... I compete, and that's pretty much my mentality for staying calm.

Tournament nerves come mainly from fear of judgment/criticism when playing in front of others/stream. Blocking everyone out around you and focusing solely on your play and strategy is pretty much what it comes down to. You can drag it out over several paragraphs and complicate it, but the bottom line is to simply be confident and... not give a shit about what's going on outside of the game.