What's new

Dealing with discouragement/negativity online

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
I don't mean to be crass, but don't play online. You avoid the cesspool of succulent rotting flesh that is the online gaming community. If you don't have a consistent offline scene then you should find a way to make it consistent.
Uhh wut

Maybe it was his first and only time doing it. Can't get that platinum trophy if you don't get the tea bag achievement...
Didn't even know that was a thing! I'm playing on Steam and never pay attention to the achievements. Now I can always rationalize it as someone wanting a trophy.

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Just dont let that shit bug you...it will always be there

The best players I play online dont whine like little bitches when they lose or gloat when they win. They didnt get good by nerd raging and complaining when they lose.

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
How do you mute the chat on PS4? At the moment I just mute my TV.

I don't want to listen to salty dickheads when I play. If I get a message I know will be shitty, I can ignore. With chat, it's forced on me, and quite frankly my eyes hurt from all the rolling.
If you create a party from the dashboard and make it private, you won't hear any of their audio. It's the best way to do it so far.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Ahaha okay let's do Enter the Dragon

1: It depends on the circumstances. The street v training v competition. Ultimately, it's meeting the goal you set yourself in whatever circumstance you're in. So survival in a street fight, learning in training and victory according to the institutional rules in competition

2: It's not. Anger can provide motivation in the long term but motivation borne of sheer anger burns out quickly. Moreover, anger clouds the mind and prevents you assessing the situation and your options with an objective, practical mind, forcing you to act hastily with the intention of hurting the opponent. The intention should not be to hurt, but to protect yourself. This may come about by injuring the opponent but this decision should be taken coldly and objectively, not in the heat of anger.

3: Instantaneously. I can feel it the second my brain starts to assess things with emotion instead of logic and move to cut it out as quickly as possible.

4: Me, parents, girlfriend.

5: Three reasons: to keep myself safe and guarantee my personal security in a world where that cannot be taken for granted at any time, to improve myself as both a person and a martial artist and prove to myself that I am capable of defeating opposition.

Incidentally, what's your discipline?
1. Everything depends on the circumstances. What I meant to check was whether you are "ready to win" as per the purest philosophical sense of the word and you are, in a way. You appear to be the rare case who doesn't mind losing but you really can't accept it when it happens. Seems for many of that mindset that the fear of -not losing itself but- having to deal with not winning is a strong dive pushing them ahead. My wild guess is that you're that kind of guy. What I often like to tell people is that as long as you lose, you have what to learn. The moment it's wins you have to learn from, it's going to get a lot harder and a lot more confusing.

2. Anger is better than indifference because it means you still have the will to carry on. As soon as it's all the same to you, you'll lay down and die. Not you, though, because of what I guessed about you above. I could be wrong.

3. IF you say so, you might actually suppress it rather than really learn to channel it in a healthy way. Don't. It's better to find a healthy outlet.

4. So why do those faceless internet motherfuckers even matter?! XD Focus on people you care for and ignore people that don't matter. If you like to leave a mark in people because you're an evil bastard, then let nothing get a rise out of you but make them hate you as much as you can.

5. Yeah that's the sweet talk XD You like to win. I've got your number. Learn to love a good loss, it's very motivating if you learn how.
I was sixteen and never had so much vigor and so much real-life-driven rage in me. I got sat on my ass in a competition by a younger guy who was right at the lower edge of my weight category. Never been so salty. Online or offline. My teacher walked up to me and smacked my head. "You have one word to tell me now, what was the cause of you losing that fight? Think about it, don't rush it."
Ten years have passed and one morning I was in a hurry but my ride was late. I kept calling my ride to ask where the hell he was. Guy picks up the phone after the sixth try and is like, hold your horses I'm on the WA--" I heard him crash. If he hadn't been talking to me, he'd never have crashed.
I postponed my exam, didn't care. Sitting at the ER waiting for any news, I suddenly picked up my phone and dialed my teacher. He picked up. He hasn't seen me in four years, university was kicking my ass worse than any opponent at that point.
"Long time no see, kid. What's new?"
"Impatience."
"Better late than never." He responded, and we had a long talk. My friend recovered fine after they duct taped his ass back together.

Bottom line is this, we all have our shortcomings. Look inside you for the flaw that's causing you grief and if you can't find it, but only if you can't find it, should you try to look for it anywhere else.
EDIT: I started with kyo then moved on to judo, then to chinese things, and ended up with taijiquan by my "old age".

Last edited:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I was in a KOTH a few nights back where the person got zoned out, and they basically just continued to stay salty at the one who zoned them out the entire time. Then they got salty at me when I told them to just relax.

Some things aren't worth staying angry about, especially over a game.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
I have one response to hatemail, regardless of who sent it and what it says I always have the same reply: B===D

If you wanna be a salty dick then that is all I have to offer you. I will literally reply with that for every message I get until the person stops responding.

This isn't really going to help you with your real issue, but I would have thoroughly enjoyed responding to that Subzero guy with "wait, let me make sure I understand this correctly. You cheat online to preserve your record, harass and insult the people you're cheating against, and send messages admitting this, IN WRITING, to the people you just pissed off? Man, that's brilliant. Guess I'll just have to pass this message along to Sony/Microsoft/Steam and see what they think about your evil plan."

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
To contrast it with offline or martial arts or sports, Twain once said "I can live for two months on one good compliment" and that's very true. I went to casuals on Wednesday, trying out my new KL (picking up a new character every month) and got bodied. I did okay with my Liu, but my KL got obliterated by Jaxs and D'vorahs. However, I took one game from one of the best players in the scene (GM SZ) and he sent me a message later, just saying well done, much improved etc. And it really helped yknow? I got bodied in general but there was concrete proof of me improving in general and with the character in particular, so there was no need for me to get all moribund about it because the positivity and encouragement was there.
dont be spreading false information evan, @FireBreather is just a button masher who spams specials :DOGE

but seriously ill drop ya a pm now bout the other stuff

BloodyNights

"My kunai will find it's mark."
Usually I listen to what they say, and while they are being salty, and in an attempt to make it more fun for my obviously weaker opponent, I'll try to vary up how I play against them. Like I'll do flashier combos, or I'll switch characters, or I'll use a zoning character, and do a ghetto rush down. About 99% of the time it does nothing to help. That last 1%, said "he gets it I'm better than him"...for some reason that felt like an accomplishment...but that's just silly. But breaking down a salty person in game, and making them admit that the problem was them...something seems special about it. But for the most part I say good games, maybe even give them a tip or something.

However yesterday I wasn't in the best of moods. Being called a bitch, and someone saying I did the same combos over and over again was really irritating to me, especially when I did different combos, and at the same time he only did one combo himself with his Mileena. So I messaged him back, I told him to shut the F up, told him that he didn't do any different combos other than the same one, and that he got outplayed, and to deal with it. I don't exactly feel proud of myself for replying that way.

For the most part I don't let it bother me, I get a good amount of 50/50 hate, and love! I've gotten tons of respect from randoms. I've even gotten hate and love at the same time...in a quote of... "You probably got the best Scorpion I have ever seen...but you are still a bitch." lol But receiving a message and expecting hatemail, and it being positive is a great feeling for some reason. So I've taken to doing that when I get the chance against good opponents.

I get quitalities, racist rants, hate mail, and Bill O'Reilly level Mic screaming. Most of the time I laugh but occasionally gets under my skin. I also have a martial arts background and understand how a lack of sportsmanship is frustrating though it is the internet.

Dog With A Beer

Bane (noun): a source of harm, ruin or death.
I learned sportsmanship by standing next to my opponent at the arcade cabinet. I wish that was still a thing :(.
I notice the trend of people with martial arts backgrounds lamenting the lack of respect from opponents (which, coming from Muay Thai, I completely understand) but I think this quote kinda nails it too. I really think it's just the anonymity the internet provides more than anything. The fact that you don't have to look another human being in the eye and be held responsible for anything you say seems to turn people into angry, festering little trolls. That and (speaking of being trained in a martial art) you don't run the risk of someone beating your ass for saying the most horrific thing you could about their momma. Basically I think it's cowards filled with impotent rage trying find a release.

I notice the trend of people with martial arts backgrounds lamenting the lack of respect from opponents (which, coming from Muay Thai, I completely understand) but I think this quote kinda nails it too. I really think it's just the anonymity the internet provides more than anything. The fact that you don't have to look another human being in the eye and be held responsible for anything you say seems to turn people into angry, festering little trolls. That and (speaking of being trained in a martial art) you don't run the risk of someone beating your ass for saying the most horrific thing you could about their momma. Basically I think it's cowards filled with impotent rage trying find a release.
Pretty much. The internet is a wonderful place! Ha.

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
I've had my fair share of salty messages. I ignore them. Always.

If my opponent keeps losing to me, I send them some tips on how to improve their game. It's usually met with gratitude.

Yes, teabagging annoys me too, because it's as obnoxious as it can get, so I avoid those players the next time I run into them.

Incidentally, I also have a martial arts background :)

So, the next time you run into a douche, call them a scaldy gobshite and find someone else to play with.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
try to ignore them (after all they are just a bunch of assholes frustrated human being that take a videogame way too serious at online environment) or just add these idiots in the block list .... in the end, there are a lot of others players to fight online, hehe :D

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Nah im weirdo dude i get a kick out of the rage

but ima lso a trolling basterd so personalities differ i guess

in fact im gonna go online and spam kanos knifes only to a scrub then send him a message calling him "A Fucking spammer" for the giggles :D