What's new

Concerned about the state of the MK community...

Status
Not open for further replies.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Thank you.

To everyone else, stop bitching and keep getting your asses to tournaments to support this game or else you yourself are helping put this game in the grave with your negativity.

And saying this board is "dead"? Umm, okay? If this board was so dead you wouldn't even have any replies to your own thread.
Sorry I didn't mean this exact board, I copied this from another forum. TYM is by far the most active MK scene IMO.

I would LOVE to be apart of the tourney scene, but I'm in Oklahoma where even SF tourneys are rare. I simply cannot travel due to my job, playing online at night is how I get my MK fix.

Marcus

Mortal Kombat Philippines / Injustice Philippines
Me and my people here in the Philippines are doing what we can to still make it bigger. We had 2 successful tournaments and a couple of casuals now. Were having SF and Tekken players recruited. Were even offering to teach interested players of the basics of the game, BnB, strategies, etc...

Still a small community here but were working on it. :)

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Honestly most that movedon are non tourney players and strictly online players so I'm happy they've moved on.

When I'm online on ps3 everyone I want to play is on, I'm only interested in playing the best and those are the hardcore players that go to tourneys.

Long live Mk and it's growing community if better players
Amen, Keeper of the Pork House.

MK's been a staple of my universe since I was 8 years old. Nothing will change this.
This particular incarnation happens to be the one that, in all of time, I've developed the most skill in and admiration for.
I don't think the fleeing of the passive and undedicated is gonna do anything but make my journey towards improvement better.

One: It sold 3 million copies. Win.
Two: The MKC, we the lovers of grotesque, glorious Kombat, will probably go down in history as one of the most dedicated and recklessly optimistic of all FG support groups.
Three: If we all pray to any god available, write letters to Santa Claus, put in formal requests with our State Representitives, email Oprah, and do anything else within the reach of our imagination to bring forth UMK9 and A PASSABLE ONLINE SYSTEM - not to say all online games don't have their issues, but this one's stand out quite profoundly - they'll do as MK3/UMK3 did in the past and use the means of this game to justify the potentially fanfuckingtastic ends of the next.
And Four: If there were more tourneys/gatherings even resembling an MK scene around Toms River, I'd be at every damn one taking notes and getting my ass kicked/returning said kicks like wooooo.
My hope is to at least be able to make it to a Salty Battle someday soon...Fort Lee is too close to pass up.

arydious

Noob
I would say this is no different than any game, after a couple of months people who are not serious about the game start to dwindle, Games can only pique peoples interest for so long. Single player doesn't take long at all to go through and online matches in this game make me want to rage quit (and I am not a rage quitter), So if this game wants to continue seeing large numbers online Netherrealm needs to fix the damn online thing. Tourneys are nice but that is not where they will keep getting money from. It is sad that a game like Deadliest warrior which is just a download for 10 bucks had a much smoother online play then this game. Deadliest warrior probably took less than half the time mortal kombat took to make.

Sorry if any of this seemed like a rant or troll

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Sorry I didn't mean this exact board, I copied this from another forum. TYM is by far the most active MK scene IMO.

I would LOVE to be apart of the tourney scene, but I'm in Oklahoma where even SF tourneys are rare. I simply cannot travel due to my job, playing online at night is how I get my MK fix.
My apologies for my direct response... it was a little much but you have to understand where I'm coming from along with our staff and YOU guys, the members and contributors. You know how we update everyday here? There is a reason for this... to keep this community as alive as possible. If we updated even just once a day, that would be "okay" in my eyes... but we can continue to do better than that or at least we'll do our damnedest.

My last tournament was SJ5 which was in August and I'm looking at two more definites this year... and in my personal opinion... I want more and I need more of a fix but it is what it is... what I'm saying this is... we all have to just do what we can to keep everything alive.

Me and my people here in the Philippines are doing what we can to still make it bigger. We had 2 successful tournaments and a couple of casuals now. Were having SF and Tekken players recruited. Were even offering to teach interested players of the basics of the game, BnB, strategies, etc...

Still a small community here but were working on it. :)
We <3 you, guys! :)

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
meh... gotta admit it's just frustrating... MK needs UMK9... or more DLC.
Not UMK9. Definitely not. But more DLC would help keeping the casuals interested. I was sort of expecting this game to have a steady stream of DLC bullshit all the way up until the sequel. Not necessarily characters, but I definitely thought most of the cast would have four or five costumes by now... maybe new fatalities. Shit nobody cares about. Guess that isn't really panning out.

Tim Static

Adminerator
Not UMK9. Definitely not. But more DLC would help keeping the casuals interested. I was sort of expecting this game to have a steady stream of DLC bullshit all the way up until the sequel. Not necessarily characters, but I definitely thought most of the cast would have four or five costumes by now... maybe new fatalities. Shit nobody cares about. Guess that isn't really panning out.
Repacking the game with all the DLC and patches, etc. could create some more interest from players who havent picked up the game etc.

KingShaz

In the Shadows
I believe that as long as we keep supporting the game people will keep finding us. Whether its online or at tourneys, the more support we give this game the better the chances are that we will get new and dedicated players over a time span.

Everything in life takes time, nothing happens overnight.

Let's face it. This board is dead.
By the way.... lol whuutt?

online offline

online mode shouldnt fade, the tournament scene of mk is small compared to the bigger fighting games like sf, tekken and marvel. I still believe most of the players really have nothing else to depend on than online mode. I keep Mk alive here by playing with some friends here in Holland but thats all we got here. I cant stress enough how important online mode is for a game like mk that just got rebooted and tries to be a tournament worthy game. all these bugs, a weird game guide, the offline-online war, weird patches, online lag arent really helping with this.

UMK9 is really needed I think, a few months ago I disagreed on umk9 because the game just got out. but mk9 is really dying and all these patches are making mk9 a really unstable game imo.

The powerup grand finals between brady and perfect legend is really what made the game hype, because they really put up a show, it made people want to play the game, but then people found out about all these bugs and inconsistencies, that is why this game is really like a beta version. So NRS im waiting for umk9;)

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I'll just say that if there is ONE thing that would make ALL the players better would be a proper online mode. They half assed the entire thing from a development stand point. They never considered factors that are happening.
If they really want to support the game, they should be sitting there trying to overhaul how online connections work, how KoTH works.
The main point with people not getting better overall.... the best players don't touch online. If Tom Brady and Reo and CD and CD Jr and Warda etc etc. played online don't you think the overall competition would benefit? The learning process and character match ups wouldn't be hate rage arguing filled shit piles. There wouldn't be a disconnect between online and offline like there is right now. shit, there wouldn't be two separate tier lists because online and offline differ so much.

Online is what will sell a game. Story mode, fatalities and the such will bring back nostalgia and the like, but being able to play the BEST players in the world will keep the game alive. If they released UMK9 with a net code that convinced the top players that "hey online may not be pinpoint offline, but its damn close enough for me to play people" i'd shell out the money. I don't have the opportunity to travel around to play. I have no offline scene. But if I could play against the tourney players and level up ... then i'd shell out some money every now and then to go to a tourney. I would guarantee i'm in the majority when I say this as well.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
!v1 with good connections is pretty damn good IMO. But thats unfortunately a rare occurrence in MK online. I don't think the net code is horrible, but def needs fixing. KOTH and 2 bars or less is pretty bad. But hey I played Deception online so what would I know lol.

EXACTLY what Sub Crash said. It's a well known fact that most players who bought this game play online. So if you give a shitty playing environment to the majority of your players, how do you expect people to take this game seriously? Yeah it was designed with tournament players in mind but there's simply just more online than offline players. While I respect everything you guys and all of the international scenes are doing to support this game, I just don't really support it like I used to. I barely watch any of the streams besides majors anymore. Even then I mainly just watch Marvel. It's hard for me to watch a video of two high level players play MK anymore because I just get so bored. Point is, a better online will make this game alot better. I think it would be great if NRS could really connect with the community by asking where your region is and then giving you info on upcoming tournaments and such in your area by like a message of the day thing, except different lol. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I think if NrS wants a stronger tournament scene, they first need a good online scene.

The MK community isn't dying. There are still local scenes all over the place. The online portion of the game however clearly is dying. That was bound to happen. Mk 2011's online is utter trash. For me it is unplayable, it feels like it's in slow motion and I'm playing underwater. How do you seriously expect people to play this game online? The people have been waiting for a netcode fix since the game launched. It is clear NRS can't make it happen. Aside from all that, this game is still loaded with bugs, inconsistencies and many other nuisances. That puts off some people as well.

Hopefully next time around the experience is much better. Not saying this one is bad but it could be a whole lot better.

Erik Warda

Kabal Mage
Everyone has some good input; here are my thoughts:

My heart goes out to the onlne players, i really feel bad thatthey cant experience true mortal kombat. It may be a good thing that forces people to play offline but for those in middle of nowhere are screwed over.
I've personally been getting a bit bored b/c VSM isnt up for 2nd week in a row. I've also been enthralled by Dark Souls and some Rage: lots of new games have come out this season (as usual) so thats always gonna nab our attention as gamers. I know for a fact CDJr is a huge Gears fan so hes been into that. Once VSM starts up again and seasons beatings comes it will shake things up again; tournaments always generate hype.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
This is going to be a tough month for MK...some Huge releases coming out. Gears definitely cut the players basically in half. Then again, most of the people that remain are not complete scrubs so the matches are always somewhat competitive.

Shady

Noob
I am for one happy that MK made it as deep as it has in the community. I am a gamer, but most of the time, when I beat a game and put in my rounds online, I move on. This is the first game I've been playing consistently since launch without fail. I think that what this game accomplished is something amazing for itself in the fighting game ring and I hope to see it back at EVO. I think that the core community will still be there, we will play Gears, we will play BF, I will play Uncharted 3, but when it comes down to it, we'll still go to casuals and so on and so forth. Yes, all the people who had a mild interest in the game are now going on to different things are not coming back, but that's not who is meant to keep the community alive, the people who are committed to this and who like the interaction that this brings are the people who will keep this alive, and we are still here. Yes, we might play more games in between, but we'll still go back to things like VSM or any local casuals there is. We just won't go online as much due to the atrocious net code.

Get used to it. I'm the only person who traveled for casuals every month for MKDC, and not a single player came through. I didn't let it stop me. I continued supporting the game. Same goes for videos. Regardless of who watches it i enjoy making them. To support the community. Same goes for tournaments. I've used a ps2 converter since my first tournament, which lags, and pretty much guarantees me a loss (plus non CRTs), but i still go out to tournaments to support the game.

Don't believe the hype. Just do what you enjoy and don't worry about "the community". MK has ALWAYS been this way and probably will never change. Case in point, it's always been this way and is still here today.

Just get used to it. I'm glad i got to play some great players and earn their respect as well as give everyone some entertaining matches and combo videos to watch. That along with my 4.00 GPA for Game Testing which i am very proud of to do alongside all of those things because that's how much i love the community. I've dedicated my life to it for the past 10 years, and my glass is always half full and never half empty.

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Get used to it. I'm the only person who traveled for casuals every month for MKDC, and not a single player came through. I didn't let it stop me. I continued supporting the game. Same goes for videos. Regardless of who watches it i enjoy making them. To support the community. Same goes for tournaments. I've used a ps2 converter since my first tournament, which lags, and pretty much guarantees me a loss (plus non CRTs), but i still go out to tournaments to support the game.

Don't believe the hype. Just do what you enjoy and don't worry about "the community". MK has ALWAYS been this way and probably will never change. Case in point, it's always been this way and is still here today.

Just get used to it. I'm glad i got to play some great players and earn their respect as well as give everyone some entertaining matches and combo videos to watch. That along with my 4.00 GPA for Game Testing which i am very proud of to do alongside all of those things because that's how much i love the community. I've dedicated my life to it for the past 10 years, and my glass is always half full and never half empty.
Since '05 I've been online with you and many others... "Cheers"? ;)

KingShaz

In the Shadows

Well said, from my POV you have always worked hard for the MK community. Hopefully you'll land that job at NRS you've worked so hard for:)

Cheers for getting to see each other a few times a year. Just wish it was more often.

Cheers for MK9 bringing 2D and 3D MK community closer together.

Cheers for NRS doing the right thing this time around.

Cheers to this site for all that its done.

Storms, since 2005, yes, but for some of us it goes back even further. Dancock, Konqrr, Mr S, Versatile, MasterMalone, TomBrady were all people i looked up to since MKDA. And even though i lurked for the most part i was still a part of it. But its 100% because of those guys and watching how they controlled the forums is what made me want to be a part of it. Cheers out to those guys. MKDA for the win.. Those matches with Tom and myself at NEC last year will still go down as some of my favorite matches. Glad you got to see them. Hope to see MKDA make a return. It's a great game.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
When I was in grade school. I used to only like Mk because of that. But every since Mk9 drop. It's been a whole different game. Yeah, the story, blood/gore, and epic characters was there. Now, it has an engine that is very legit besides a few little issues that can be work out. This made me enjoy MK more. I always wanted it to be at offline tourneys when I was in grade school. And that dream is finally being realize. This game will never die. Those guys that left online can go get punch in the face by Jax and lose their manhood to Mileena. If we still have a check, Tom Brady, and etc. We will be fine. My role as a mk fan and fighting player for this game is to support with all my heart just like I do for BB, SC, DOA, and *gasp* Smash. In the end, MK will always be my favorite fighting game to me. No other game can't top the blood and gore it has. When you add a legit engine and a good gimmick. You're game will fly off the shelves.

I personally don't understand why Gears had such an impact. I pre-ordered the Epic Edition of Gears and admittedly took MK out of my console the day I bought Gears home.. but I CBF going past Act 3.. its just the same as Gears 1 and 2.. so back into the console MK went.. Multiplayer doesn't do it for me either.

chem

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I was preparing to make a similar post before discovering this 1. The MK community is dying, but that doesn't mean its a horrible thing. I believe this will weed out the good and bad players. I was confident after EVO that the game would return in 2012, but I don't see that happening now. Sadly NRS needs to pull a Capcom now and release a UMK9 to keep this train moving. They don't even need to put in a lot. New levels, costumes, and fatalities are a give. As well as the DLC characters. Outside of that they need a better netkode and a new game mode or something. Even a couple of new characters and I think people would pay 39.99 for it.

To the person that said MvC has a decent online, that is laughable. The huge combos are next to impossible to pull off online. I played that game less than a month and moved on. These days I'm finding SCIV in my disc tray more and more for preparation for SCV.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Everyone has some good input; here are my thoughts:

My heart goes out to the onlne players, i really feel bad thatthey cant experience true mortal kombat. It may be a good thing that forces people to play offline but for those in middle of nowhere are screwed over.
I've personally been getting a bit bored b/c VSM isnt up for 2nd week in a row. I've also been enthralled by Dark Souls and some Rage: lots of new games have come out this season (as usual) so thats always gonna nab our attention as gamers. I know for a fact CDJr is a huge Gears fan so hes been into that. Once VSM starts up again and seasons beatings comes it will shake things up again; tournaments always generate hype.
Man Erik, Im missing VSM hardcore right now to. It seems like forever since we all got together but Phil says Gamers edge will be better than ever once they are back up, and bigger to, so i cant wait. Plus Seasons Beatings is right around the corner and Im doing the road trip with Shock,REO and Hitoshura so thats going to be awesome. And it will be good to see all my midwest buddies again(THTB,Tim Static etc. etc.) Tournaments are the best gatherings. Sure the tournament is fun itself but for me, I just love getting to hang with my boys and play MK late into the night until we just drop. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.