What's new

Concerned about the state of the MK community...

Status
Not open for further replies.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Right...that's probably my favorite aspect of tournaments. Just chillin' all the way into the wee hours of the morning for 3 nights straight. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if, come Season's Beatings, MK9 picks right back up.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Man, doing Mortal Monday and other ventures has really allowed me to become attached to this community...There are certainly bad parts of the community (a certain recent video respond not withstanding) but there is a lot of good. I think it's up to all of us to find things that we like about the community and really promote them. Whether it be the tournament scene, the hype, the technical aspects, the saltyness....the more these things get put out there the more the game becomes unique. I feel like in the few short months I have been around here I have grown to know you all, and I don't plan on severing those ties anytime soon.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Not UMK9. Definitely not. But more DLC would help keeping the casuals interested. I was sort of expecting this game to have a steady stream of DLC bullshit all the way up until the sequel. Not necessarily characters, but I definitely thought most of the cast would have four or five costumes by now... maybe new fatalities. Shit nobody cares about. Guess that isn't really panning out.

If you're starting to feel mehhh about a game dlc isn't exactly doing to bring you back, but the same game revamped with a better netkode and new features for cheaper than 60 bucks would lure all the schmucks in, giving it a boost of energy.

I love the forums but we have sterotype issues between the offline and online community and mention before it's separating two differentgroups of great people.

My experience offline is awesome "no lag involved"
but my closed friends are not high
level so i get no credit against them.

It appears some offline players praise each other and believe on their skills superiority
but always make excuse's losing to the better opponent online.

Secondly the majority of online players are noob's, jerks, egomaniacs and the netcode might not be the best however
I enjoy the experience.

There's many high level players active online that face
me frequently so i have no desire to travel for offline scenes.

I wish i had an offline scene close to me in texas but unfortunaly i'm out of luck.
Ultimately my skills are decent and i'm not afraid to play online and get beat unlike many so call good players.

To end this I wanna give a shout out to all existing high level players online!

true skill 41 playing main only / playing different chars my true skill hits 38-39

Panque

Random foreign guy
I love MK but we have sterotype issues between the offline and online community.
It appears the offline players praise each other and believe on their skills but always make excuse's losing to the better player online.

Secondly the majority of online players are noob's and the netcode might not be the best but
I enjoy the experience.

There's many high level players active online that face
me so i have no desire to travel for offline scenes.

I wish i had an offline scene close to me in texas but unfortunaly i'm out of luck.

Ultimately my skills are decent and i'm not afraid to play online and get beat unlike many so call good players.

To end this I wanna give a shout out to all existing high level players online!

true skill 41 playing main only / playing different chars my true skill hits 38-39
I share your lack of offline competition, but saying that Offline players make excuses not to play online is a little harsh. Lag on fighting games is like... Idk, playing basketball in the rain? You really can't measure one's skills by online.

If I had that option, I would never play online.

I guess you eventually get used to the BS online and can't play on your highest level offline (wich IS the real deal).

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
It appears the offline players praise each other and believe on their skills but always make excuse's losing to the better player online.
Because you can't determine the better player by playing online. It doesn't matter if you're out of luck with an offline scene, that doesn't mean anything towards offline play.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Offline is where it is at, and like pig said, all the $21,000 Street fighter cross over players have all died off, and now the best is left. I am happy with that.

It is dying off a bit, it seems it's only me and Foxy playing this last while, everyone else is playing battlefield or other games, I just want to keep exploring mk.

And online blows anyway, I lost a handful of times today a rubbish Kung Lao that only ever done d4 into 24 over head, and held block until I moved then spun...can't really do shit online anyway, so let's not take it seriously.

Offline should be the focus.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I played MK locally tonight with two other guys, sure, there were only 3 of us. But, guess what? I still had a great time. I didn't have to deal with lag, and I realized what I actually need to work on. I learned more in an hour than I have in months of online.

Online is awful. So much crap is safe online, and totally punishable offline. They're two entirely different games.

Come on guys we all know that a high level online player can compete in a tourney if he puts an effort to it just take forever king example.
You can still pull the most of the same combos and strategies.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Come on guys we all know that a high level online player can compete in a tourney if he puts an effort to it just take forever king example.
You can still pull the most of the same combos and strategies.
Thats not the point they are making. No one is saying a player who learned the game primarily online cant be good offline. They are saying online isnt the place to prove your good, tournaments are. Forever King made more of name for himself in that one tournament than he would have ever done if he stayed home. No one cares what happens online, tournaments decide who is good.
Whatever people might have thought about him before hand, when he went to a tournament he proved he was good.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Thats not the point they are making. No one is saying a player who learned the game primarily online cant be good offline. They are saying online isnt the place to prove your good, tournaments are. Forever King made more of name for himself in that one tournament than he would have ever done if he stayed home. No one cares what happens online, tournaments decide who is good.
Whatever people might have thought about him before hand, when he went to a tournament he proved he was good.
Very true. But King also learned match ups, strategies, combo's, etc all online. So I think online player deserve a degree of respect.

I respect the offline scene and people it's right about it but many high level players don't have the chance to display their skills offline
but seriously getting beat online discourage many to drop it, it could help you increase your knowledge due to the hundred's of styles that can be use as fundamentals for local tourney's. I know it's a bit different but if you face 40 high level kung laos you be prepare more against them.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Very true. But King also learned match ups, strategies, combo's, etc all online. So I think online player deserve a degree of respect.
See alot of people get confused here. it does not matter where he learned his matchups,strats,combos, whatever. It doesnt matter if he was an online player,offline player, Magic the gathering player, Monopoly player, whatever. What matters is that he came to a tournament and placed high. THATS what got him his respect, not his rank, or his true skill, or his record. None of that means anything.
If a player who learns online and then comes to a tournament and does well more power to him. Thats what we want. We want more good players to come to tournmanets, we want more players to get off the couch and come prove they are good. And they will earn all the respect and credit for doing so.

But for the people who sit home on they're couch and play randoms all day and then wonder why nobody cares or gives them any credit, its because nothing you do online matters. Doing well in tournaments is what matters, regardless of where you learned to play.

It's not rocket science for a online player to learn the offline strategies and fundamentals. For me is just a game made for people to enjoy but bashing online high
level players without playing against them only cause you preach offline tells you something.

Dark_Rob

Noob
It's not rocket science for a online player to learn the offline strategies and fundamentals. For me is just a game made for people to enjoy but bashing online high
level players without playing against them only cause you preach offline tells you something.
I am not bashing anyone, I dont know where you got that idea. Its very simple, if there are players online who wish to be known as one of the best, all they need do is come to a tournament and play against the recognized best players and do well. Thats not so hard is it? Lots of players have done it.

McNasty

Moist.
I really like what Check said about MK9 bringing 2d and 3d mk players together. At evo it was an awesome experience to play mk9 casuals with Krayzie, after meeting him at west coast warzone and being in the divided 3d 2d bunch finally being on a level playing ground for one game. Same deal with playing casuals all weekend with AC1984 a fellow umk3 fanatic but something new and different thats not completely explored it was an incredible experience. Because of these times MK9 shall live on as long as the players who love the game continue to play it by any means online, offline for fun or competitively. Maybe im a minority but I don't play other games world of starcraft, gears of duty, and madden jam dont matter to me. This thread wouldn't exist if you knew what playing umk3 on MAME is like.... where you know the entire 15 player base thats rarely on lol.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
The problem is that high level online and high level offline are two different things. Though it's not to the extent of Street Fighter, many things within MK require an action to be performed within a very small window of time. Even many characters' combos (Rain comes to mind particularly) are so much harder to perform online due to the timing difference. Online doesn't mean much, as many have said, because of how inconsistent performing combos are (some chars are easier than others), and because some things are next to impossible to do, such as certain punishments.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
Well, I for one at point was an online warrior. I thought that was my only option, since I kinda have a big family and traveling gets to be expensive.
I mostly played on the gamefaqs room, enter a few tourneys online, got blown up, and just kinda stop online for like 2 to 3 months.

But then I stumble upon this place, was looking for some KL info.
Havent looked back ever since.
What I am about to say I mean 100%
TYM and its 95% of its great members, have inspired me to get off my lazy ass and go to tournaments.

Yeah, I do it for my now 10 year old as well, the one who plays this game with a passion and dedication on a daily basis that I have never seen anyone do.
I figure why not? we both love this game, he inspired me the most tho, his dedication and love for this game is second to none.

I got inspired just like my kid by other great people of this community.
people like check/tb/pl/reo and many others.
So if they inspired me, by going to tournaments and providing some good fun for me to watch, why cant I do the same for them?

I already have inspired a few on youtube, and to me thats what we all need to do, we need to start getting involved more in the scene, we need to make this game last and make it to the point of where nrs will will be inspired by us, the gamers, and make an even better game than MK9 already is.

Anyways, there i go again writing a novel lol....oops xD

P.S. Look for some good news by the end of the month from me and some one else ;)
I promise that it will be good news :)

P.S.S. Dont ask, I am not in liberty to say what xD :p

P.S.S.S. Am tired :'(

I desire no glory or respect from mk fanatics but the bias against online high level players are display in our community and it's breaking us apart we deserve credit.

catch22

GOD LAO FTW!!!
I desire no glory or respect from mk fanatics but the bias against online high level players are display in our community and it's breaking us apart we deserve credit.
Well since online is not in any way, a good way to find out if you are any good? I cant see any one doing that.
If online was lag free? then you have a leg to stand on, but as it is atm with all the lag and input delay....you are out of luck.

Tim Static

Adminerator
credit for what? I dont get whats so hard to understand about what being good online means. It means nothing, and it cant be taken serious. So what are you looking for? a pat on the back for playing it online?

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
EDIT: Didn't realize this was the thread lol...but nonetheless, Rob gave the best answer.

No one discredits online players, so long as they come out and play at tournaments. Truth be told, I'm mainly an online player (moreso by no other choice, but an online player nonetheless). I attend tournaments, however, and I've proven in the past I'm capable. That's really all it takes, and it's the only way you get ANY sorta credit, whether you play offline or online mainly.

There's no bias, just you gotta put up.

If you don't abuse lag tactics online, chances are you are going to play much better offline. Because online just handicaps everyone. It handicaps your execution and reaction by half.

I think a lot of online players are scared of the offline scene because they think they are not good enough for it. But honestly, 75% of people that went to EVO were average at best. Online players should realize that. You don't need to win a major to support MK.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Sorry my man, thats just not the way it works. And its not just the MK community. All FG communities are this way. And your contradicting yourself for that matter, you say, and I quote"I desire no glory or respect from mk fanatics" and then go on to say,again I quote "we deserve credit" So im not sure you know what it is you want to begin with.

But again there is no bias. We dont care what backround you come from, whether it be offline or online. If you come to a tournament and do well you are considered good. Thats the way it is, the way its always been and most likely the way it always will be. But what anyone does online will never mean anything. You can play casuals, learn your matchups and hone your skills., and maybe online is fine for that(but from what Ive heard it isnt even good enough to do that) But you dont get considered to be a top player from playing online. Only tournaments decide those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.