What's new

General/Other - Commando Commando Variation Discussion Thread

FlappyDaniel

Snappin' spines all day e'ry day.
Jax and Lao aint bad MU either. You can parry Jax dash punch on WU and your buttons contend ok, plus jaxs love to open up with their D1, D2 shenanigans so LOW PARRY, lol. Lao, I've been playing with trying to stay at a specific distance when in neutral with him. His 11212 string is easily parryable if the first 1 is blocked at max range, because the second 1 whiffs and you're able to parry/interrupt the 2. plus his 4,4 is parryable as well and pretty easy to react to if you block the first hit.

Gobei Go

Noob
I just went to the lab with it and I liked the b1,b1,b1,b13 xx cgrab for when it whiffs so you can negate that space control. It has crazy priority against a lot of stuff; it beats out upballs (ex too), b1, uppercuts. However! If you need the damage and you know it will kill, the ex choke beats the crap out of that move. I'll take note next time I play against a scorp but I believe in that situation I block the kick (dont try to aa it) and meter burn the upball even if it hits on block. That leaves you something safe to help with the pressure. From there I back dash and run the plan I mentioned earlier.

Gobei Go

Noob
Jax and Lao aint bad MU either. You can parry Jax dash punch on WU and your buttons contend ok, plus jaxs love to open up with their D1, D2 shenanigans so LOW PARRY, lol. Lao, I've been playing with trying to stay at a specific distance when in neutral with him. His 11212 string is easily parryable if the first 1 is blocked at max range, because the second 1 whiffs and you're able to parry/interrupt the 2. plus his 4,4 is parryable as well and pretty easy to react to if you block the first hit.
I parry Jax and Kung all day. Jax mostly on wakeup but with Kung I typically interrupt strings as you mentioned. I also like to space Kung Lao out with knives to make them teleport into a Parry. All of Kungs active teleport options are parried by db1.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
The one who originally found it @OmGxBdON said he got to a point of getting it very consistently so it's definitely not impossible. I tend not to go for it in match either, but I havent been grinding it out like I should be.
When I did play Kano I got the kombo down cuz I practiced it a shit ton, but what I noticed at least for me I could have been going crazy is that for certain punishes I couldn't get the njp to for example Cassie cage my friend mains her and there were some punishes I had to execute differently. Anyways now I'm leanin toward mainin tremor

FlappyDaniel

what!? I coulda swore I've tried parrying kung lao's teleport but they always either go for the grab or an attack while in the air still and the parry just gets stuffed. I've just been using upball like Bdon says below.

OmGxBdON

I'm going to make Fate top ten
I parry Jax and Kung all day. Jax mostly on wakeup but with Kung I typically interrupt strings as you mentioned. I also like to space Kung Lao out with knives to make them teleport into a Parry. All of Kungs active teleport options are parried by db1.
You can just zone Lao out with knives and there's no way Lao can get in on u with his teleport becuz the knives will autocorrect to an upball. Yeah either have to meter urn teleport which still might not work or actually try to get in without takin a shortcut

Gobei Go

Noob
On a unrelated note, I saw some people mention commando kano needing extra strings for launchers or pressure and I thought to myself, "Whatever it is, it would have to pretty much already be animated."

I noticed in practice mode the 3 in b13 is similar if not identical to the first 3 in f33. Do you think it would be too much to have a b1f33 string? The f33 is our only tick throw string (TERRIBLE range) and this new one would have the range of the b13 but with an additional ending 3 from the same f33 string. It would be the string we need to have some extra range in footsies and presence to enforce the tick too.

...also starts from b1...

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
Something ive realized when playing this variation is that a lot of people just keep pressing buttons and mashing armor just to avoid getting command grabbed. Makes them so free to parries lol it feels amazing, especially landing a low parry. I dont get too many tick throws or grabs in general which makes me sad but if I just keep chipping away at their health and landing parries, I guess I cant be too mad haha.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
we need to talk about how fucking good the 32 string is. I'll post a video soon but it's 1 frame slower than s1 but being mid it's a better punisher a lot of times. Yes it has shit range but still. 32 1+3 grants you 1% less than 112 ball but gives you oki and side switch. The oki is cool. You can jump in for free basically because and you'll randomly (about 75% of the time) cross them up. Jik tick or just empty jump command grab are nice.

Ending a punish (112 ex ball cancel jip 32 or just 32) with 32 knife gives you a restand and leaves you at +7 which means you can go for command grab or f4 knife (to catch jump/backdash). If they get cute and try to armor or poke PARRY THEIR ASSES. In the corner they have to be wary of the low as it will give you a full combo. Also if they try to jump a lot b1 is a safe option that gives you a full combo.

Last but not least 32 is -1 on block so you're more than safe you can fuck with them if they block it. Ex command grab, party their counter poke, whatever.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
I forgot if you land a njp you can do 32 32 32 command grab for 31-32%. You can even dash under after landing the njp to put them in the corner

we need to talk about how fucking good the 32 string is. I'll post a video soon but it's 1 frame slower than s1 but being mid it's a better punisher a lot of times. Yes it has shit range but still. 32 1+3 grants you 1% less than 112 ball but gives you oki and side switch. The oki is cool. You can jump in for free basically because and you'll randomly (about 75% of the time) cross them up. Jik tick or just empty jump command grab are nice.

Ending a punish (112 ex ball cancel jip 32 or just 32) with 32 knife gives you a restand and leaves you at +7 which means you can go for command grab or f4 knife (to catch jump/backdash). If they get cute and try to armor or poke PARRY THEIR ASSES. In the corner they have to be wary of the low as it will give you a full combo. Also if they try to jump a lot b1 is a safe option that gives you a full combo.

Last but not least 32 is -1 on block so you're more than safe you can fuck with them if they block it. Ex command grab, party their counter poke, whatever.
finally someone understands. it also does more damage than b13 and beats low-profile wakeups like mileenas roll.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
32 is unlisted as variation specific but it's a lot different in commando (probably to allow the 32 1+3 to hit). I know someone posted about it but you're plus a shit ton after hitting it and they'll be standing (unlike cutt/cyber where it will launch). It also has better recovery than in other variations allowing for weird combos lol.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
But jaxs d1d2 are mid. You can parry those with a low?

FlappyDaniel

But jaxs d1d2 are mid. You can parry those with a low?
Lol I honestly don't know, I just assumed they were lows not mids, makes sense they'd be mids, that's totally my bad/unfamiliarity. I just know that's what a lot of Jax players use as their goto pressure, can you parry high if it's mid or just not at all?

edit: I'll test it obv when I get home, that'll teach me to be sure about something before I post it :p

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Lol I honestly don't know, I just assumed they were lows not mids, makes sense they'd be mids, that's totally my bad/unfamiliarity. I just know that's what a lot of Jax players use as their goto pressure, can you parry high if it's mid or just not at all?

edit: I'll test it obv when I get home, that'll teach me to be sure about something before I post it :p
Haha well high parry beats mids, highs, o, and grabs. Low parry just beat lows. At least its supposed too haha

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
So I've been having trouble in boneshaper mu with kano so I ran a set against a friend and found out that after the dark beam reset you can ex low parry the low kick.
Its strict timing but can be done and once you get it a couple times it messes with the boneshapers game plan because if you have meter they have to be scared and can't autopilot into low kick.
It even tighter link online obviously but can be done